New magnepan 1.6 system from scratch - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-09-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Long story short I need a new sound system. My old one was a 7.1 surround of beginner quality.

After scouring the internet for speakers I came across Magnepans. I decided to wander down to a home audio shop to audition a pair as I had never even seen the before let alone heard them. Needless to say they sounded amazing. I didnt want to sink a ton of money in my system so i was considering MMGs or Super MMGs, but i found a pair of nicely taken care 1.6s locally on craigslist(of all places) for not much more than MMGs and I snatched them up.

So my question is.....Now what to use for the rest of the system?

I am focusing on a decently nice 2 channel that i can upgrade to surround over time (all Magnepan speakers)

My sources are TV/blue ray, Turn table, and Laptop

My budget is 2 grand plus or minus for components/receiver amp and wires etc.

I have been looking at Emotiva stuff mostly because of the low price good performance but I am open to mixing and matching

Right now my parts list is the Emotiva XPA-2 300w x2 amp, UMC-200 7.1 processor, and their new Xsp-100 phono pre amp

By my calculations that would get everything up and running for about $1700, which leaves $300ish for wires.

Does this sound solid or are there other/better options?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
I'd skip the emotiva pre-pro as their CS seems to be "lacking" to put it gently. The amps should be pretty reliable so not much need for their "service".

Maybe look to an AVR with pre-outs instead.

You'll probably be wanting a sub or two go with them too. The usual suspects for that would be SVS, PSA, Rythmik, HSU and I'll throw in RSL (rogers sound lab) as there is a user review that used a similar combo and was duly impressed with the RSL sub's abilities to blend and play music.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page