For the money? Polk RTi8 vs Jamo s426 vs KEF Q700 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I currently have the Jamo s426 5.0 system in a 12'x13' room. This is combined with a BIC F12 sub and it is all driven by a Denon 1913. Used mostly for movies.

I have the opportunity to pick up some Polk RTi8's for $150/each.

Would the Polk's (as the fronts) give me a significant improvement in sound over the Jamo towers?

At this price would it make sense to buy four of the Polks and also use them for the surrounds?

What center channel speaker would pair well with the Polks?

Edit: I had originally been wanting the KEF Q500/700 + Q600, but they exceeded my budget (amazon has the pair of Q700s plus the Q600 center for $2,150). However, I've found this deal on eBay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/251383448555?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

What would you do? The pair of Q700 + Q600 for $1,800 (and keeping my Jamo towers for surrounds)?
Or the four of the RTi8s for fronts and surrounds and CSi5 for center for $900?

Do the KEFs have the potential to sound twice as good?

Also, I've never ordered from eBay, and I have no idea if that seller's credentials should be acceptable to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBottle View Post

I currently have the Jamo s426 5.0 system in a 12'x13' room. This is combined with a BIC F12 sub and it is all driven by a Denon 1913. Used mostly for movies.

Would the Polk's (as the fronts) give me a significant improvement in sound over the Jamo towers?

At this price would it make sense to buy four of the Polk's and also use them for the surrounds?

What center channel speaker would pair well with the Polk's?

I won't venture a guess which you would like better but the CSi5 would be the one to get with those 8's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSi5-BLACK-RTi-Center-Channel-Speaker-Polk-Audio-/231110899079?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item35cf487587

post #3 of 5 Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBottle View Post

At this price would it make sense to buy four of the Polks and also use them for the surrounds?

What center channel speaker would pair well with the Polks?

I have never heard them, but my understanding is that the Jamo 5.0 set that you describe is ok for HT but not so much for music. What I can tell you about the RTI8's and the CSI5 is that I have them and they are wonderful for both HT and music and you can run them with just a decent avr. I have RTI4's as surrounds, mainly because I can put them on end tables without using stands, but that IS a great price for the 8's and they certainly would sound nice as mains and surrounds.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 104
i had the Jamo system you have and i do think the Polks would be quite a bit better. my opinion of the Jamo's is that they really arent that good. i think the center and surrounds suck.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In case anyone visits this thread in the future, I ended up going with the following:

KEF Q700 for front right and left. They were $449 each at accessories4less. Their website labeled the condition as "open box - acoustically perfect with cosmetic imperfections." But, I don't see a single imperfection. Also, no tax or shipping, so that was good compared to the $750 each price on Amazon + tax.

KEF Q600 center. I noticed that Amazon had one color (walnut) that was $458 (new) instead of the $650 regular price. So I jumped on that.

I then moved the two Jamo towers to the sides for my surrounds and still have the BIC F12. The Jamo + BIC 5.1 setup originally cost me about $400 a couple of years ago, and I've moved the smaller Jamo surrounds to another room.

The center channel is a huge improvement for movies. And the Q700s sound substantially better than the Jamo's did for music. I also don't have to rely on the BIC for bass when listening to music in stereo, as the Q700s can handle that.

I also purchased a Pioneer SC-1323-K on sale from Amazon for $599. But I think I may have to return it.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the setup (with the possible exception of the AVR) and the money spent. In total, I spent $2,448 (including tax) for the entire speaker setup and AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Jamo S 426 Floorstanding Speaker , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page