Stereo speaker choice/setup for Onkyo TX-8255? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this receiver as a gift for someone to be used for sports and movies. Nothing special but better than TV was the goal. Thing is since they've been gifted a receiver now they want to listen to music on it as well (mostly louder classic rock). Most my stereo experience is with more powerful receivers and therefore speakers so i don't know what is best. Is this receiver relegated to only bookshelf size speakers and if so what would be the best? 70% movies and sports, 30% music. For a benchmark I had some spare Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget speakers and they said they were pretty good but they wanted better than that. For the space available it would also be hard to fit a speaker over 30" tall on the viewing wall as well even if the room is quite large. Budget top end is $300-$400 for speakers. I also have a pair of kenwood KS-401HT's (2 4inch woofers, 1 tweeter) that sound ok but barely any bass to them. Would that be better with just using the money on a subwoofer and keeping the KS-401HT's? Or completely change it up run both A and B speakers at the same time with 4x Pioneer SP-BS22-LR or something. It's a lot of information i know but now you know my dilemma, hopefully you guys can at least point me in the right direction.

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked: 3273
Look at connecting this to unite, with one pair of the Pioneer speakers

Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 subwoofer
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI7RW/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-7-10-175-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Rose/1.html

Or, this one
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI7WN/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-7-10-175-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Wnt/1.html

Donate the Kenwood speakers to Goodwill

----------------
Who AM I
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11tank View Post

I bought this receiver as a gift for someone to be used for sports and movies. Nothing special but better than TV was the goal. Thing is since they've been gifted a receiver now they want to listen to music on it as well (mostly louder classic rock). Most my stereo experience is with more powerful receivers and therefore speakers so i don't know what is best. Is this receiver relegated to only bookshelf size speakers and if so what would be the best? 70% movies and sports, 30% music. For a benchmark I had some spare Pioneer SP-BS22-LR budget speakers and they said they were pretty good but they wanted better than that. For the space available it would also be hard to fit a speaker over 30" tall on the viewing wall as well even if the room is quite large. Budget top end is $300-$400 for speakers. I also have a pair of kenwood KS-401HT's (2 4inch woofers, 1 tweeter) that sound ok but barely any bass to them. Would that be better with just using the money on a subwoofer and keeping the KS-401HT's? Or completely change it up run both A and B speakers at the same time with 4x Pioneer SP-BS22-LR or something. It's a lot of information i know but now you know my dilemma, hopefully you guys can at least point me in the right direction.

thank you.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Cabinet-Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx 8255 Stereo Receiver , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page