All my ducks in a row ? 5.1 Klipsch HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all, long time lurker 1st time poster.  I've just started getting into the HT hobby within the last year and I had a couple questions.  I got my first small taste of HT in 2013 when I purchased two Klipsch synergy F-20's and a BIC PL-200 powered by a Sony STR-DN1040.  This was great for a few months considering it was an upgrade form a sound bar.  Now I need MORE haha. 

I've placed an order for two Reference RB-61 II's and for a center channel I picked the RC-52.  From my lurking I have picked up that it is important to have the three front speakers match.  I had planned on placing the three reference speakers in the font and temporarily using the Synergy's as my two rears.   Once my order is delivered I had planned on setting the three fronts to 80 hz and the two rears to 60hz for crossover.  Is that all correct ?

Down the road once I pay off the Reference speakers I have ordered I plan on replacing the two Synergy towers.  My question is should I replace them with Reference towers (was thinking the RF-62's)  and move my bookshelf's to the back?  Or should I keep my three fronts the same and replace the Synergy towers with an RS model surround speaker (thinking 52's or 62's) ?

My room is very large its an L shaped living room connected with an entry way on one side of the L and connected to a dining room then kitchen on the other.  Just the living room/dining room section is 12ft x 32 ft.  Wood floors and tall cathedral ceilings.  

Thanks a lot I'm open to suggestions! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Those RB-62 speakers are rated to go down to 45 Hz.

The sound of your system will be about 200% better if you set those main front speakers to operate FULL-RANGE, and let them do everything they are designed to do.

Set the filter on the subwoofer so that it only operates below 50 Hz.

IMO limiting the main speakers to only operate above 80 Hz is a very serious mistake, which will emasculate your system's sound quality.

The REAR and CENTER speakers should only operate above 80 Hz. there is no reason for them to operate any lower.

You want your main speakers to produce all of the midbass that they can, and then the subwoofer can take over at the point where they cannot go any lower.

You DO NOT want the subwoofer operating above 40 or 50 Hz, because the subwoofer and main speakers will sound far better if their operating frequency ranges do not overlap.

I am sure you will get other opinions that conflict with this advice. Everybody has one...lol.

I have had a lot of experience in setting up systems, and I am just telling you what always works best based on my experience.

A lot of people have read a lot of theory and and swallowed it whole...and regurgitate it. Theories are fine until real-world results disprove them.

Try different setups and see what sounds best to YOU!
post #3 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyclev34 View Post

Hello all, long time lurker 1st time poster.  I've just started getting into the HT hobby within the last year and I had a couple questions.  I got my first small taste of HT in 2013 when I purchased two Klipsch synergy F-20's and a BIC PL-200 powered by a Sony STR-DN1040.  This was great for a few months considering it was an upgrade form a sound bar.  Now I need MORE haha. 

I've placed an order for two Reference RB-61 II's and for a center channel I picked the RC-52.  From my lurking I have picked up that it is important to have the three front speakers match.  I had planned on placing the three reference speakers in the font and temporarily using the Synergy's as my two rears.   Once my order is delivered I had planned on setting the three fronts to 80 hz and the two rears to 60hz for crossover.  Is that all correct ?

Down the road once I pay off the Reference speakers I have ordered I plan on replacing the two Synergy towers.  My question is should I replace them with Reference towers (was thinking the RF-62's)  and move my bookshelf's to the back?  Or should I keep my three fronts the same and replace the Synergy towers with an RS model surround speaker (thinking 52's or 62's) ?

My room is very large its an L shaped living room connected with an entry way on one side of the L and connected to a dining room then kitchen on the other.  Just the living room/dining room section is 12ft x 32 ft.  Wood floors and tall cathedral ceilings.  

Thanks a lot I'm open to suggestions! 

Forget upgrading mains for now and upgrade/add subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I beg to differ. 80 hz is probably where the crossover should be set. It will relieve the bass-mids of low bass, increasing midrange clarity and the power amp of having to drive them at LFs.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Get a better subwoofer- or two. The Synergy speakers will do just fine as surround speakers. If you replaced them with Reference speakers, probably the only difference you will hear will be in your imagination. I would not run your mains full range if it can be helped, use an 80 Hz crossover point. RF-62s will have scarcely any advantage over RB-61s, the sound quality would be the same. All you will gain is a bit more upper bass headroom that you would never use. Keep your current fronts and upgrade to a couple quality subs, it will make a much much greater different than upgrading your fronts to more Reference speakers. Get rid of the BIC sub. Get Hsu, Rythmik, or SVS subs. A new company called Reaction looks like they have killer subs for the price, you might give them a try. Given those specs, they should really be cleaning up the budget sub market.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back!  It looks like one of my questions was very clearly answered in that the next thing to upgrade would be my sub and that the Synergy towers will be fine as rears.  

I'm hoping to get a couple more opinions on crossover setting.  ShadyJ what do you recommend setting my other speakers to if my RB-61's are set to 80hz?

post #7 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Try setting everything to 80hz for starters. I have my center (same as a RC52) crossed at 100hz, which works well. My mains at 80hz and my surrounds at 120. It's your room and your ears, play around a bit and set it how you like it, no matter what anyone else says.
Rickyclev34 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #8 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:

I'm hoping to get a couple more opinions on crossover setting?
80hz is the industry norm. But its
I would try 60hz for the RB-61's,
80hz for the RC-52
60hz for the F-20's

Try want works for your ears though
post #9 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feed back!  It looks like one of my questions was very clearly answered in that the next thing to upgrade would be my sub and that the Synergy towers will be fine as rears.  

I'm hoping to get a couple more opinions on crossover setting.  ShadyJ what do you recommend setting my other speakers to if my RB-61's are set to 80hz?

I think your center can do a 80 Hz crossover as well, it certainly has enough extension for it. The Synergy F-20s can handle lower than that with no problem. They could do 60 or 50 hz easy. I would set them to 50 hz and see how that sounds.
Rickyclev34 likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys!  Lastly what would you suggest setting my sub to ?  I was thinking 50 Hz?

post #11 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 06:04 PM

Set your sub to 80 hz. Also get a better sub, the PL-200 isn't bad for the money, but a Klipsch Reference system deserves better. Your sub is a performance bottleneck at this point.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys!  Lastly what would you suggest setting my sub to ?  I was thinking 50 Hz?
Max the crossover knob to its highest on the subwoofer amp or at least up to 120hz
post #13 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Max the crossover knob to its highest on the subwoofer amp or at least up to 120hz

He can just switch the cross over switch to 'out'.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Wouldn't that cause the sub and other speakers to play lows at the same time? I thought the goal was to just have one or the other that way it sounds cleaner ? Again I'm a noob here just trying to learn.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wouldn't that cause the sub and other speakers to play lows at the same time? I thought the goal was to just have one or the other that way it sounds cleaner ? Again I'm a noob here just trying to learn.
You want the speakers to mesh with each other and over lap does that.

LFE-channel goes up to 120hz, and your subwoofer is hooked up to LFE port.

The subwoofer will handle all the frequencies below the crossovers from the speakers in addition to the LFE channel data
Rickyclev34 likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Get a better subwoofer- or two. The Synergy speakers will do just fine as surround speakers. If you replaced them with Reference speakers, probably the only difference you will hear will be in your imagination. I would not run your mains full range if it can be helped, use an 80 Hz crossover point. RF-62s will have scarcely any advantage over RB-61s, the sound quality would be the same. All you will gain is a bit more upper bass headroom that you would never use. Keep your current fronts and upgrade to a couple quality subs, it will make a much much greater different than upgrading your fronts to more Reference speakers. Get rid of the BIC sub. Get Hsu, Rythmik, or SVS subs. A new company called Reaction looks like they have killer subs for the price, you might give them a try. Given those specs, they should really be cleaning up the budget sub market.

Agreed. Only old audiophiles with antiquated notions about home theater would run their mains full range. Let the sub do the work. Those brands shadyj told you about are the best deals for subs, much better than traditional speaker company subs.
Rickyclev34 likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #17 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

You want the speakers to mesh with each other and over lap does that.

LFE-channel goes up to 120hz, and your subwoofer is hooked up to LFE port.

The subwoofer will handle all the frequencies below the crossovers from the speakers in addition to the LFE channel data

+1

The subs we are recommending produce better bass than the speakers can. You want to let the sub take over. That also takes some stress off your receiver from also having to produce the low frequencies. The sub will have its own amplifier.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Klipsch Synergy F 20 Premium Dual 6 5 Inch Floor Standing Speaker , Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Klipsch Rb 61 Ii Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers Black Pair , Klipsch Reference Series Rc52 Dual 5 25 Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Ash

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page