Speaker choice confusion (Pioneer AJs vs.?) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 83 Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Reading through the EMP thread is keeping me up late.tongue.gif It seems there are some on there who aren't very fond of EMP's smaller center speaker, the E5Ci, and are recommending it's big brother, the E56Ci, which is far more expensive. Any thoughts?

How's Cambridge Audio's center, the S50?
StevenA01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 83 Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,610
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01 View Post

Reading through the EMP thread is keeping me up late.tongue.gif It seems there are some on there who aren't very fond of EMP's smaller center speaker, the E5Ci, and are recommending it's big brother, the E56Ci, which is far more expensive. Any thoughts?

How's Cambridge Audio's center, the S50?

I think if you are pairing with the E5Bi, then the smaller center is appropriate. People recommend the larger center to keep up better with the E55Ti towers.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #63 of 83 Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,138
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked: 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01 View Post


How's Cambridge Audio's center, the S50?

If you decide to go with the Cambridge >>

I would use another S30 as a vertical center channel - it would blend, balance
and pan better with the L/R speakers. All 3 would have bass down to 60 hz

Their is not much difference in the 2 prices, and would be worth the spare, if
any future problems.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 83 Old 03-12-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I think if you are pairing with the E5Bi, then the smaller center is appropriate. People recommend the larger center to keep up better with the E55Ti towers.

Makes sense, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

If you decide to go with the Cambridge >>

I would use another S30 as a vertical center channel - it would blend, balance
and pan better with the L/R speakers. All 3 would have bass down to 60 hz

That makes a lot of sense too--I do like the s30 specs over the s50.

Now to make this final decision between Cambridge and EMP. I feel like I'm flying in the dark a little...

It seems to me that the Cambridge have the edge in terms of sensitivity and perhaps lower frequencies, with the EMPs looking nicer and perhaps being a little more neutral? That's just based on reading what seems like hundreds of threads and posts on these things.tongue.gif
StevenA01 is offline  
post #65 of 83 Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,390
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2347

Unless you buy both and try them in your room, you won't know. Which is fine, since either will sound great to you. So choose based on whatever criteria you wish to use.

LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #66 of 83 Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Unless you buy both and try them in your room, you won't know. Which is fine, since either will sound great to you. So choose based on whatever criteria you wish to use.

You're right--excellent advice! I'll bite the bullet and will post again once I have everything set up! Can't wait!biggrin.gif
StevenA01 is offline  
post #67 of 83 Old 03-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01 View Post

You're right--excellent advice! I'll bite the bullet and will post again once I have everything set up! Can't wait!biggrin.gif

Congradz! What did you end up going with?

Apartment: BenQ HT2050A + Silver Ticket 100" Screen | Mede8er 600X3D | Roku 3 | Pana. BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Parent's: Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er 600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
ZzBloopzZ is offline  
post #68 of 83 Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post

Congradz! What did you end up going with?

Thanks! But, ahem, I'm actually still waiting to order--my work schedule got in the way, so I'm planning to order in a little over a week.

I had basically decided on the EMP Teks for the fronts. The one thing that concerns me is their relatively low sensitivity (85db). I really want a good dynamic range for HT, and hence I am actually considering the HSU HB-1 MK2s as one other option.

I may end up just ordering the EMP Teks as planned to see if the low sensitivity is actually a problem, and if it is, returning them and getting either the HSUs or the Cambridge.
StevenA01 is offline  
post #69 of 83 Old 03-24-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,610
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenA01 View Post

Thanks! But, ahem, I'm actually still waiting to order--my work schedule got in the way, so I'm planning to order in a little over a week.

I had basically decided on the EMP Teks for the fronts. The one thing that concerns me is their relatively low sensitivity (85db). I really want a good dynamic range for HT, and hence I am actually considering the HSU HB-1 MK2s as one other option.

I may end up just ordering the EMP Teks as planned to see if the low sensitivity is actually a problem, and if it is, returning them and getting either the HSUs or the Cambridge.

Since you have a small living room, it won't take much at all to make those EMPs louder than you can listen to comfortably. My 1713 drives the EMPs very well, and I sit 10' away. If you were in a bigger space, then maybe you would want a more sensitive speaker, but these EMPs are no slouches when it comes to dynamics.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #70 of 83 Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Since you have a small living room, it won't take much at all to make those EMPs louder than you can listen to comfortably. My 1713 drives the EMPs very well, and I sit 10' away. If you were in a bigger space, then maybe you would want a more sensitive speaker, but these EMPs are no slouches when it comes to dynamics.

That gives me some confidence--thanks!
StevenA01 is offline  
post #71 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I thought I'd report back with the results of my home theater shopping adventure.

I am now the happy owner of a pair of EMP Tek E5Bi's, an E5Ci center, and an SVS SB-2000 sub, powered by a Denon x1000. I'm still 3.1 at this point--the Polk OWM-3 surrounds will be joining the setup in a couple of months.

The system sounds fantastic! I now actually understand what a neutral speaker sounds like. At first I thought the EMPs were rolling off the treble more than I'd like, but then I realized I was hearing the high frequencies just fine, but without any of the fatigue and harshness I have always associated with the highs. Even when playing quite loud, the sound is clean, completely distortion-free and very easy on the ears. I am getting away with playing movies MUCH louder than my wife would ever have tolerated with my previous cheap-o speakers. biggrin.gif

Dynamics are very exciting with these things! I'm getting a terrific dynamic range, from lovely whisper quiet passages to bursts of satisfying loudness.

Female vocals and piano sound especially beautiful on these speakers, I'm finding.

One thing the EMPs really show up, though, are low-quality recordings. I'm finding I am listening much more critically than I have in the past (everything used to sound the same!), and many CDs are showing their limitations in terms of dynamic range, and lack of mid-range "substance," if that makes sense. With a good recording, these speakers really shine. The Blu-ray of Adele's concert at the Royal Albert Hall sounded incredibly "live," just as one example.

The center speaker is performing well, but I do notice when playing the Denon's test tones that it has a different sound to the bookshelves. The high end doesn't sound as crisp. Using real-world content, though, it sounds great, so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned. I do wonder whether I'd get clearer, crisper dialogue if I had another bookshelf instead of the E5Ci, but I may be over thinking it. I noticed that the small metal dome-shaped grill on the center's tweeter is "less convex" than on the bookshelves, making me wonder if it's a slightly different tweeter (???)

Also, I find I need to really pump up the Denon to get the system sounding loud enough for my liking. I realize the speakers are not that efficient (the bookshelves have a sensitivity of 85db), but I need to turn the Denon to around 70% of its capability for movies, less so for music. Does that sound like a problem? At times I feel like I even want to go higher, but I'm worried about over-driving the speakers. I'm hearing zero distortion at 70%, though: clean and clear as a bell. I'm not sure if I've reached the limits of the speakers/receiver combination, and as I say I'm a little scared to push it any further (I don't want to start clipping the receiver). So far I have yet to push the speakers to ear-splitting levels, even with the receiver turned up that far.

Finally, the SB-2000 is a superb unit!!! In my sized room it digs very deep into the near-subsonic level and literally shakes the house! I'm in Los Angeles so I know what that feels like. wink.gif It took some fiddling with the gain and the Audyssey calibration to really get what I wanted from it, but once I got it dialed in--WOW!!! I get a strong sense that in a bigger room I would need a ported sub, but for my purposes, the SB is a winner! Again, though, having this sub is really showing up material where the bass is lacking. It was only when I chose the right movies and music that I became satisfied.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I'm having a ball with this setup, and I greatly appreciate all the help I received from my fellow AVS-ers. smile.gif
StevenA01 is offline  
post #72 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
70% turned up is not actually 70% of volume the way that the Denon volume scales. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, congrats on the awesome setup. In addition to being critical of CDs, now you probably find yourself to be a critic of movie theater sound smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #73 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

70% turned up is not actually 70% of volume the way that the Denon volume scales. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, congrats on the awesome setup. In addition to being critical of CDs, now you probably find yourself to be a critic of movie theater sound smile.gif

Absolutely!!! I went to a so-so theater just last week and was comparing it unfavorably with my setup!! biggrin.gif
StevenA01 is offline  
post #74 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
ZzBloopzZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Glad to hear you are happy with your setup.

Now I am having second thoughts as I originally planned on a JBL 530 setup. But they are so expensive! However, I already ordered the JBL 520 center which is matching set for 530 because it as on Amazon for Like-New condition for just $190.

Apartment: BenQ HT2050A + Silver Ticket 100" Screen | Mede8er 600X3D | Roku 3 | Pana. BDT110 | 30TB+ ZFS
Denon AVR-2113CI | Ascend Sierra-1 LCR | Ascend CBM-170 SE | PSA XV15
Parent's: Sony 65" KDL65W850A | Mede8er 600X3D | Wii
Denon AVR-X1000 | JBL Studio 530 | JBL Studio 520C | Outlaw LFM-1 EX
ZzBloopzZ is offline  
post #75 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
StevenA01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post

Glad to hear you are happy with your setup.

Now I am having second thoughts as I originally planned on a JBL 530 setup. But they are so expensive! However, I already ordered the JBL 520 center which is matching set for 530 because it as on Amazon for Like-New condition for just $190.

Hope your plans all work out well in the end!
StevenA01 is offline  
post #76 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
charmerci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post

Glad to hear you are happy with your setup.

Now I am having second thoughts as I originally planned on a JBL 530 setup. But they are so expensive! However, I already ordered the JBL 520 center which is matching set for 530 because it as on Amazon for Like-New condition for just $190.

Why? The 530's are an excellent speaker. You'll be happy with those.

I've spent the last couple of years buying and selling $200-$800 speakers and frankly all of them I could be quite happy with but also unhappy with because there is always some little thing that I'm not happy with the sound. At this level, it's all a matter of compromise. You won't find a "perfect" speaker at these prices.
charmerci is offline  
post #77 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,138
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked: 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post

Now I am having second thoughts as I originally planned on a JBL 530 setup. But they are so expensive! However, I already ordered the JBL 520 center which is matching set for 530 because it as on Amazon for Like-New condition for just $190.

And they are real nice/good - and they will beat some of them more expensive
speakers out there. They are for real.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #78 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
charmerci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

And they are real nice/good - and they will beat some of them more expensive
speakers out there. They are for real.

I was waiting for you to respond.....biggrin.gif
charmerci is offline  
post #79 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Member
 
MDST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post


And they are real nice/good - and they will beat some of them more expensive
speakers out there. They are for real.


Hello zieglj01!

 

You still have the JBL Studio 530? If not, why you sold those nice speakers?

MDST is offline  
post #80 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,138
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked: 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDST View Post

Hello zieglj01!

You still have the JBL Studio 530? If not, why you sold those nice speakers?
As good as the Studio 530's are - they got beat by the MB Quart Vera VS05B
bookshelf speakers. They use to list for $2500, I got them for 75% off.smile.gif

For the price the Studio 530's are solid, and one of the better ones still out there.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #81 of 83 Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Member
 
MDST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post


As good as the Studio 530's are - they got beat by the MB Quart Vera VS05B
bookshelf speakers. They use to list for $2500, I got them for 75% off.smile.gif

For the price the Studio 530's are solid, and one of the better ones still out there.

The 530's are very good for movies???

 

I'm trying to decide between the 530 and Hsu HB-MK2 ( with a VTF-15H or VTF-3 MK4sub ). More movies than music, would be my use in a medium room!

MDST is offline  
post #82 of 83 Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,534
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3098 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
When you go to 5.1, you will be using more of the overall power reserve of the receiver to drive the rear speakers. This may not be a problem, but you may notice that you have to turn it up even higher to get the same sound pressure level. I will be curious to hear the results of this .....

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #83 of 83 Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,138
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked: 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDST View Post

The 530's are very good for movies???

I'm trying to decide between the 530 and Hsu HB-MK2 ( with a VTF-15H or VTF-3 MK4sub ). More movies than music, would be my use in a medium room!

Yes, they are good for movies - a good speaker is a good speaker, and can handle
both movies and music. The Studio 530 has good bass and can crossover nicely to
a good subwoofer.

Your option/choice and call

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp C22 Center Channel Speaker , Pioneer Sp Bs21 Lr 80 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Polk Audio Monitor Compact Bookshelf Speakers 35b , Polk Audio Monitor 25c Two Way Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Polk Audio Monitor 65t Three Way Ported Floorstanding Speaker Single Black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off