Need Help with Low Budget 2.1 Speaker System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am by no means an audio expert and also don't have lots of disposable cash for toys (single

income/ 2 kids / house payment / live in SoCal, etc.).  I do like good sounding music though.  

At home I have a projector and play movies through my computer and listen to music either

through my laptop or an MP3.  For a while I was using Logitech Z-2300 computer speakers which I

thought were awesome for music but not so great for watching movies - hard to hear the dialog -

almost always sounded like there was too much base and I could not turn it down enough.  I have

about $200 to spend and would like a system that is loud and basey enough to fill my house when

cranking the tunes (like the z-2300 could do) but can be toned down for movie watching - where

the dialog clarity would come through.  I have two young kids and usually watch movies after

they go to bed - so clarity is important above all - not too worried about base and loudness at

that point.  I also don't want or have room for a receiver / amplifier unit - that's why I liked

the computer speaker option originally...

So I was thinking of this option:

Using a 12" powered sub from Monoprice or Parts-Express (Dayton)

And the little Lepai LP 2020A amp (that I can easily stash away out of sight) and some bookshelf type speakers for around $80/pair - I see a lot on Amazon in this price range with good ratings

Then hook up the above mess somehow to my 1/8 jack on my laptop or MP3?  Is this crazy?

Couple of other questions.  I noticed the powered subs have speaker inputs and ouputs - a bypass

system.  Do I still need to go through the sub with the speaker wires if using the little Lepai

2020A amp?  Can I run the speakers independently from the woofer?  What's better?  If I don't

run the speaker lines through the sub, are the smaller speakers going to play all the low sounds

too (now y'all can really see that I know nothing about audio stuff!).

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 5651
If you don't use the speaker inputs/outputs on the sub then you would need to split the audio signal source (your computer). The sub would need to have an RCA line-in (the Dayton subs do). I think I would also be inclined to use a cheap DAC like the Behringer UCA-202 ($30 on Amazon) with that setup.

The Dayton subs don't feature a high-pass filter so your book shelf speakers would be running full range. Some of the more expensive subs feature a high-pass filter (the SVS SB-1000 or PB-1000 for example $499).

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One thing I've learned since getting into this would be that it's usually smarter to put your money into fewer items and that way you can better components and add on down the road. Problem with that for me was that I always wanted more from my system so I spent way more then I had planned. But I'm glad I did because it's an excellent system.

One option I saw on amazon would be high quality computer speakers so that way you aren't trying to cut up the pie as much. This wouldn't allow you to upgrade down the road but it puts all of your eggs in one basket.

I don't know anything about PC speakers but these are from klipsch which I swear by.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394321194&sr=8-2&keywords=klipsch+speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the advice.  I went with a 10" Dayton sub from Parts Express, and some Micca speakers from Amazon.  Got a Pyle PCA3 AMP  - kinda crappy I know - we'll see how it works when I get it...at least I only spent $37 on it - may have to get something better down the line.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeviper View Post

Thanks for the advice.  I went with a 10" Dayton sub from Parts Express, and some Micca speakers from Amazon.  Got a Pyle PCA3 AMP  - kinda crappy I know - we'll see how it works when I get it...at least I only spent $37 on it - may have to get something better down the line.

Congrats on the new setup. Great choices on the speakers. I would definitely upgrade that amp at the earliest opportunity. wink.gif

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeviper View Post

I've actually had some good luck buying $25 Denon (yamaha, etc.) receivers from thrift shops. (If they don't work, you can bring them right back.) They're not always around but often enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Logitech Z2300

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page