Anyone replaced more expensive speakers with the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I have been reading so much about these speakers, and own the "last year's version" SP-bs21 (how could I resist when they were on sale for 39.99!)

Did you do a comparison?

What did you switch from?

I would be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences in "downgrading and upgrading" at the same time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 584
They are fairly good-sounding speakers, BUT they have two problems.

The low-frequency extension is not good enough for main front speakers (should go down to around 60 Hz IMO).

Their sensitivity is very low, which makes them power-hungry.

A better overall speaker, IMO is the Dayton B652 speakers. They sell for the ridiculously low price of $40 per pair at Parts Express.

I used them to replace a much more expensive pair of Boston Audio speakers in my den, to use with the TV and a Cambridge Audio amplifier.

Stereophile did a review of them recently, which might be interesting reading.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

A better overall speaker, IMO is the Dayton B652 speakers

Thanks, I have purchased a few of the Dayton B652 speakers, matter of fact, I just found out that one of my B652's was defective, and Parts Express is sending me a replacement set.

(Parts Express had a bad batch in mid 2012 to early 2013)

I was wondering if anyone had replaced their higher end (read - more expensive) speakers with any of the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer Speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

Thanks, I have purchased a few of the Dayton B652 speakers, matter of fact, I just found out that one of my B652's was defective, and Parts Express is sending me a replacement set.

I was wondering if anyone had replaced their higher end (read - more expensive) speakers with any of the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer Speakers.

Why would one want to replace more expensive speakers - however, I have tested them and owned
the bookshelves for a while. They were no threat for my more expensive speakers.

If people love the Daytons, then so be it - however, they have a big dip (hole), in the lower treble
and not much real bass. And, they only have a high pass filter for the tweeter. No network.

And the Pioneer BS22 Does go Down Low in the bass -3db at 63 hz > and has No low treble dip/hole
Plus, they have a 6 element network for the drivers to blend and work together.

----------------
Who AM I
post #5 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Quote:

Why would one want to replace more expensive speakers - however, I have tested them and owned
the bookshelves for a while. They were no threat for my more expensive speakers.

Thanks, that is what I was wondering. Are they "GREAT speakers that happen to be inexpensive" (the holy grail of speakers!), or are they great speakers compared to what is available in their price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Quote:

If people love the Daytons, then so be it - however, they have a big dip (hole), in the lower treble
and not much real bass. And, they only have a high pass filter for the tweeter. No network.

I've seen the youtube video where they take apart the B652's. Not much to them, but hey, they are only 30-40 bucks, regular price. The Pioneer BS21's were a much better buy when Newegg had them on sale for 39 bucks (after gift card rebate)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that is what I was wondering. Are they "GREAT speakers that happen to be inexpensive" (the holy grail of speakers!), or are they great speakers compared to what is available in their price range.

I've seen the youtube video where they take apart the B652's. Not much to them, but hey, they are only 30-40 bucks, regular price. The Pioneer BS21's were a much better buy when Newegg had them on sale for 39 bucks (after gift card rebate)

The BS22 is a good deal with nice/good sound - and a good choice from $150 down per pair.
Hard to touch them in that price range.

----------------
Who AM I
post #7 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I bought a pair of BS-22s just as an experiment. I was running modded Maggie MMGs (with subs) in a smallish room, and wanted to see what mini monitors would do hooked up to the same system. I replaced the tweeter in the BS-22 with the recommended Vifa one, which makes the treble a little brighter but cleaner. Can be fixed by a padding resistor or other crossover mods, or a treble control. See this thread for more info:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113182.0

The Pioneer actually did some things better than the MMGs, but I wouldn't say it is superior. They have a nice midrange that's easy on the ears. They gave me enough of an idea how mini monitors would play in my room. I now run KEF LS50s in there. smile.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM

This is the modded Pioneer, with the complete work-over > the treble in this
one is balanced and smooth and refined - with more detail and definition.

It is a clear step up over the stock version, and will hold its on against some
bigger and more expensive speakers. And only $150 a pair.
http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/AALS.html

----------------
Who AM I
post #9 of 9 Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yes, that's a great deal! Not what I did though, needed instant gratification from my local Best Buy.rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Sp Bs21 Lr 80 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Dayton B652 6 1 2 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page