Aperion GT vs HTD L3 vs Arx A5rx-c - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So with the sale on the Grand Verus towers I've thrown them into the mix. Currently about a 80 HT/ 20 music split. 5.1 system, going to use my cheap Pioneers as backs as a stopgap measure so buying LCR. Currently have a Klipsch RW12d sub.

Thoughts: strongly considering the htd or Arx as the price allows me to refinish their cabinets in an automotive paint (would love making them statement pieces). I've read the shootouts and these appear to be the creme de la creme of budget speakers based on reviewers that mimic my own listening considerations. I've heard great things about the Aperions and assuming my finish would make them the same price, are the Aperions worlds above the Arx/HTD?

Considerations: I've auditioned almost everything retail. Loved the ML esl but the tonal collapse when you walked out of the sweet spot made me sad. All the standard Martin Logan stuff like the Motion 20s sounded too speaker-centric to me ie the sound was isolated to the box that produced it. Looooooved the Bowers and Wilkins 802di but haven't won the lottery yet. The 600 series were my favorites of the budget as the CM9 for some reason made my ears bleed in the treble range. I literally wanted to shut off the system and the rest of the components were the exact same as when I auditioned the 802s. Finally were the Maggie's. Listened to the 3.7 and 1.7 and loved them both minus the missing bass (as per the design). They still were a bit bright in my ear for treble but the clarity and sound stage were so amazing that it was hard to walk away from them especially the 3.7 as they didn't have the mid-bass gap of the 1.7.

So there's my flavor text, any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
In this price range, I would go for some decent bookshelf speakers and a better subwoofer. The bass from a good sub will always be better than that from a tower speaker. You might look at Wharfedale, Ascend Acoustics, Monitor Audio, JBL Studios, and pair those up with a SVS, Hsu, or Rythmik subwoofer. Since you are going to be painting your speakers, you might think about a DIY flat pack, where you assemble your speakers and paint them, also look into a flat pack subwoofer. Check these out for speakers, and these out for subs. SEOS and DIY subs will have waaaay more dynamic range than Aperion or Arx or anything like that. Think an Imax type sound. Take a long look at some of these kits too. A sub like this Dayton Reference 18" HO will take your sound to a completely different level, qualitatively and quantitatively.
zencarver likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
I recommend that you get a pair of the PSB Image T5 speakers, and a Image C4 center speaker. They are excellent speakers.

Saturday Audio Exchange sells factory seconds at a 25% discount, and that would be perfect since you are going to paint them anyway.

They are new speakers with minor finish defects; full factory warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post

So with the sale on the Grand Verus towers I've thrown them into the mix. Currently about a 80 HT/ 20 music split. 5.1 system, going to use my cheap Pioneers as backs as a stopgap measure so buying LCR. Currently have a Klipsch RW12d sub.

Thoughts: strongly considering the htd or Arx as the price allows me to refinish their cabinets in an automotive paint (would love making them statement pieces). I've read the shootouts and these appear to be the creme de la creme of budget speakers based on reviewers that mimic my own listening considerations. I've heard great things about the Aperions and assuming my finish would make them the same price, are the Aperions worlds above the Arx/HTD?

Considerations: I've auditioned almost everything retail. Loved the ML esl but the tonal collapse when you walked out of the sweet spot made me sad. All the standard Martin Logan stuff like the Motion 20s sounded too speaker-centric to me ie the sound was isolated to the box that produced it. Looooooved the Bowers and Wilkins 802di but haven't won the lottery yet. The 600 series were my favorites of the budget as the CM9 for some reason made my ears bleed in the treble range. I literally wanted to shut off the system and the rest of the components were the exact same as when I auditioned the 802s. Finally were the Maggie's. Listened to the 3.7 and 1.7 and loved them both minus the missing bass (as per the design). They still were a bit bright in my ear for treble but the clarity and sound stage were so amazing that it was hard to walk away from them especially the 3.7 as they didn't have the mid-bass gap of the 1.7.

I see from my last reply on the aperion tread that you might give them a shot.
I would say the Verus Grand towers and serie is a well balance sound.
A shut out would be the best way to determine what Your ear like best.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

In this price range, I would go for some decent bookshelf speakers and a better subwoofer. The bass from a good sub will always be better than that from a tower speaker. You might look at Wharfedale, Ascend Acoustics, Monitor Audio, JBL Studios, and pair those up with a SVS, Hsu, or Rythmik subwoofer. Since you are going to be painting your speakers, you might think about a DIY flat pack, where you assemble your speakers and paint them, also look into a flat pack subwoofer. Check these out for speakers, and these out for subs. SEOS and DIY subs will have waaaay more dynamic range than Aperion or Arx or anything like that. Think an Imax type sound. Take a long look at some of these kits too. A sub like this Dayton Reference 18" HO will take your sound to a completely different level, qualitatively and quantitatively.

Also good sugestions.
I had my belove DIY with Vifa drivers and crossover develope and made by Madison for about 10 years and last year tried the aperion Verus Grand series.
The person who bought my DIY cannot beleive how good they sound with so much details and imaging.

So when done right, DIY can be a very good way to go, also to learn how speakers are made and quality of components.

But I must add, did the 30 days try out from aperion and after 3 days my decision was made to keep them and sell my DIY that I have spead so much time in research and building with care.
Just a better sound to my ears but not by much.
I am a 99.9% movie guy but since I got the Verus Grand tower I have re-start listening to music.
5% maybe, but when I start, I can go for hours.

Ray
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Rivalyn, if you are seriously considering the Aperions your best bet would be to order them before June 6 while they are available for 20% off. With their 30 day free trial and shipping both ways the only hassle you would have would be unpacking and then repacking if they are not to your liking. I, like Ray, am completely happy with mine. Their returns really are no hassle and I suggest you give them a call and discuss your needs and worries. They can tell you what you would need to do in case you want to return. There is no better way to tell if you'll like them than to try them in your own home. I'm sorry that I can't give you a comparison to your other choices as i have not heard them. If you could get the others in your home at same time that would be the best scenario.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Rivalyn,

What did you end up buying?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post

I haven't seen anyone answering this directly.
Anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page