Speaker Advice - New Home & Home Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If they sound good to you, then you didn't screw up. Don't second guess yourself and just enjoy them. But definitely get a good sub to go along with them. I like Hsu (because I own one), but have heard good things about SVS, too. I have a cheaper Polk sub in another room (didn't need anything fancy), and it just doesn't compare. You will be much, much happier with a good sub.
darthray likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Wharfedale WH-2 (rears)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
If they sound good to you, then you didn't screw up. Don't second guess yourself and just enjoy them. But definitely get a good sub to go along with them. I like Hsu (because I own one), but have heard good things about SVS, too. I have a cheaper Polk sub in another room (didn't need anything fancy), and it just doesn't compare. You will be much, much happier with a good sub.
Thanks bud. Yeah a nice sub is on my list.
post #33 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3041 Post(s)
Liked: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan240g View Post
Well guys I hope I didn't screw up. I bought my new tv yesterday(PN64F8500) and looked at some speakers. I was planning to buy a Klipsch SB1 or the Energy equivalent to get me by til I could get the Ascend Audio speakers. I ended up buying a pair of B&W 686B without the stands.
He knocked the price down from $550 to $400 the same the soundboard so at least I got a good deal. Plus he took $50 off some Audio Quest speaker wire (12 feet) and $40 off a 3m Forest HDMI cable.
The B&W 686B sounded awesome in the store. I just knew it would be forever until I could get the Ascend speakers.
Did I screw the pooch with the 686B?

So my logic was get this pair of B&W, then later on I'll buy the Ascend Center channel and use it with the B&W.
Good deal on the speakers -
however, a waste of money on so-called fancy speaker wire and HDMI cable.

In the future get the proper B&W center channel for timbre (voice tone) matching.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 07-20-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Most of the reason I bought the 686B's was because of my Bestbuy account. 0% for 36 months. That's the reality.

I have just built and purchased my first house in the last two days and I just know that it will always be something that will push the Ascend's aside.

So my logic was get this pair of B&W, then later on I'll buy the Ascend Center channel and use it with the B&W. Then later on(who knows how much later?) I'll end up going with a pair of the Sierra 1's for the fronts and move the 686's to the rear.

Thoughts.
+1 just get a matching center from the same series of b&w for timbre matching. Yup u can do that way but b&w is reputable company im new also just like you and im not an audiophile but i just like a nice sound ht. i think its better to get sierra 2 so u mostly wont need to upgrade couple of years down the road. I think its beter to spend more money now and get a good stuff with good quality than spending less and upgrading frequently plus b&w are one of the top ones so you should be fine. That way ull save more.
post #35 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I hope they still sell the Sierra series by the time I can afford them. Who knows what I'll get by the time I pay off the new tv, speakers, accessories and a new bed. Could have bought a used car.
post #36 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so he got me in the speaker wire and HDMI cable. Lesson learned. I knew I had read somewhere that all HDMI cables are built to the same spec and despite their appearance and cool packaging, they are all the same.
post #37 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3041 Post(s)
Liked: 2952
Quote:
Ok so he got me in the speaker wire and HDMI cable. Lesson learned. I knew I had read somewhere that all HDMI cables are built to the same spec and despite their appearance and cool packaging, they are all the same.
It is called As The Audio World Turns - we live and learn.
darthray likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #38 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
It is called As The Audio World Turns - we live and learn.
Every damn day.
post #39 of 39 Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
I will second that!

Quote:
Thanks bud. Yeah a nice sub is on my list.
Good to hear

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page