MartinLogan Motion Owners Thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 305Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1231 of 1244 Old 10-30-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian411 View Post
Should I leave both Front and Surround speakers Small ?
If you are using a subwoofer then yes.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1232 of 1244 Old 10-31-2019, 04:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
If you are using a subwoofer then yes.
Thanks !
gajCA likes this.

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
canadian411 is offline  
post #1233 of 1244 Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Sorry in advance if this question was asked before.

How I mount the Motion 15 or 35XT on the stand ? both speakers doesn't have holes on the bottom.

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
canadian411 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1234 of 1244 Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,547
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8466
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian411 View Post
Sorry in advance if this question was asked before.



How I mount the Motion 15 or 35XT on the stand ? both speakers doesn't have holes on the bottom.


I used “ Earthquake Putty “ and mine haven’t moved in over 6 years !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canadian411 likes this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1235 of 1244 Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I used “ Earthquake Putty “ and mine haven’t moved in over 6 years !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks !

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
canadian411 is offline  
post #1236 of 1244 Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,547
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8466
The stuff really works ( LX16's on a Sanus Steel stand ) -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin Logan Motion 40 and Motion LX16 speakers.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	2636284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin Logan Motion 40 and LX16.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	2636286  

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1237 of 1244 Old 11-05-2019, 03:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The stuff really works ( LX16's on a Sanus Steel stand ) -
Hi Craig,

Is that 30 in tall stand ?

Thanks !

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
canadian411 is offline  
post #1238 of 1244 Old 11-05-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,547
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8466
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian411 View Post
Hi Craig,

Is that 30 in tall stand ?

Thanks !
It is - https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products...r-stands/sf30/

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1239 of 1244 Old 11-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Interesting.

Their measured frequency response tells a completely different story.

Top chart is frequency response for the 35xt, below it is the Motion 40.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140



Any chance Martin Logan had repaired their lumpy frequency response in the new Motion 40i? I doubt it. Looks like mostly cosmetic changes, for hundreds of dollars more. It's possible to repair the FR problems with an EQ, but I wonder how good the crossover is, as well, between bass and midrange, despite bold "Vojtko" crossover design claims. Sure enough, the low point is right at 500 Hz.

The 60XT had problems of its own, as described by Brent Butterworth in 2015: this heavy speaker's resonant frequency is high enough that it ends up muddying vocals if you don't use a sub with it. The AMT crossed over just above 2000 Hz sounds super, however, and you can't do that with a ribbon. Again though, I would expect the speaker's low frequency problems to carry over into the new model.

Overall, I now see Martin Logan as a marketing driven company, and probably won't be buying any of their products.
dan3952 is offline  
post #1240 of 1244 Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,547
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8466
Well, for my use ( home theater ) the Motion 40's sound very good in my theater, dip at 500HZ or no. And I do use a subwoofer - 4 in fact !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1241 of 1244 Old 11-06-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan3952 View Post
Overall, I now see Martin Logan as a marketing driven company, and probably won't be buying any of their products.
IDK, their new subwoofers are very well engineered with good price/value and no need to buy a tower when the 35XT measures so well.

My LX16s, (same as the Motion 15s), don't measure particularly well but sound great even in 2.0.

I'd been running mine in 2.2 with good success but my friends will be running them 2.0 using my old resurrected Sansui 881 receiver from the 70s and darned if that combination didn't sparkle in 2.0 with a bit of tweaking on the Sansui's bass and midrange controls.

The fact that their LX16s look stunning in the Cherrywood finish is a bonus.

Far better looking than mine in gloss black.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #1242 of 1244 Old 11-07-2019, 05:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan3952 View Post
Any chance Martin Logan had repaired their lumpy frequency response in the new Motion 40i? I doubt it. Looks like mostly cosmetic changes, for hundreds of dollars more. It's possible to repair the FR problems with an EQ, but I wonder how good the crossover is, as well, between bass and midrange, despite bold "Vojtko" crossover design claims. Sure enough, the low point is right at 500 Hz.

The 60XT had problems of its own, as described by Brent Butterworth in 2015: this heavy speaker's resonant frequency is high enough that it ends up muddying vocals if you don't use a sub with it. The AMT crossed over just above 2000 Hz sounds super, however, and you can't do that with a ribbon. Again though, I would expect the speaker's low frequency problems to carry over into the new model.

Overall, I now see Martin Logan as a marketing driven company, and probably won't be buying any of their products.
If their new "i" serie is just for the cosmetic change I am one lucky guy !
I was able to get the brand new 15s and 35XTs for $379 USD (pair) and $606 USD (pair) respectively.

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
canadian411 is offline  
post #1243 of 1244 Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian411 View Post
If their new "i" serie is just for the cosmetic change I am one lucky guy !
I was able to get the brand new 15s and 35XTs for $379 USD (pair) and $606 USD (pair) respectively.
I might look at the 35XT again.

Incidentally, I just saw the old Motion 40 on the floor as an open box special for $409 each at a DFW Best Buy. I had studied the old and the new boxes carefully and had come to the same conclusion as before.
dan3952 is offline  
post #1244 of 1244 Old 11-12-2019, 04:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan3952 View Post
I might look at the 35XT again.

Incidentally, I just saw the old Motion 40 on the floor as an open box special for $409 each at a DFW Best Buy. I had studied the old and the new boxes carefully and had come to the same conclusion as before.
Sure ! let me know what you think

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
canadian411 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off