Infinity Reference owners thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 188Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Darth Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic Dyslexic View Post
So I guess the three rc263's would be on a 12-14" stand with a slight pivot, vs having the r162 fronts at ear height.
I found my login info. Yup I would pivot the right and left in instead or ear level.

When everything is said and done. Was it really worth saying and doing?
Darth Octane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: California
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic Dyslexic View Post
The sale is going on right now, and I have been thinking about using a 10% off coupon, and getting a 5.1 setup of the r162, rc263, and r152.
But someone who has a projector like me, has been asking if it is possible to use three of the center rc263's for LRC, to put below the projector screen.
So how good is the rc263 over the r162, and will it sound better?


On another note, my friend is going to sell me his bw 805 matrix bookshelves, and center for $50 together. How would those sound for a LRC setup, and using perhaps the infinitys in for rears? Are they still relevant for todays home theater use? Will amplification on a typical receiver be an issue?

I'd say purchase and give it a try.. Their return seems like a no brainer with full refund within 30 days and paid return shipping.


Tempted to try the R162 out with A2.4
RC Audio is offline  
post #483 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Member
 
Darth Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Audio View Post
I'd say purchase and give it a try.. Their return seems like a no brainer with full refund within 30 days and paid return shipping.


Tempted to try the R162 out with A2.4
I guess he is having the same downside as I am. If it is just flat out unadvisable better to grab the R162 pair on sale now for the Right and Left. I just think with the larger dual woofers and added midrange speaker on the RC263 it will sound better if no one has a "dear god never do that" to present.

When everything is said and done. Was it really worth saying and doing?
Darth Octane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #484 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How does Infinity RC263 compare with Chane A2.4 in terms of Sound clarity on Center apart from physical appearances ?
santu is offline  
post #485 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
How does Infinity RC263 compare with Chane A2.4 in terms of Sound clarity on Center apart from physical appearances ?
@Pete7874 bought both and compared last year. He posted his impressions over in the Chane owners thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57416708

I'm using the RC263 with Chane A1.4s, so while not a direct comparison of the centers, I can give you my impressions on the sonic signatures. Both brands are fairly neutral to my ear with the Infinity tilting a little higher above the midrange/tweeter crossover. Clarity is excellent on both. Even though the RC263 uses larger woofers, the XBL^2 woofs on the Chane 5.25's allows them to be pushed when needed. Both brands are steals at their respective selling prices.

The Infinity is sealed and the Chane is ported, if that matters to you.
Pete7874 and santu like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is online now  
post #486 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Duplicate

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is online now  
post #487 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 09:58 PM
Member
 
Darth Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
@Pete7874 bought both and compared last year. He posted his impressions over in the Chane owners thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57416708

I'm using the RC263 with Chane A1.4s, so while not a direct comparison of the centers, I can give you my impressions on the sonic signatures. Both brands are fairly neutral to my ear with the Infinity tilting a little higher above the midrange/tweeter crossover. Clarity is excellent on both. Even though the RC263 uses larger woofers, the XBL^2 woofs on the Chane 5.25's allows them to be pushed when needed. Both brands are steals at their respective selling prices.

The Infinity is sealed and the Chane is ported, if that matters to you.
Sounds like a good review. I went ahead and grabbed the 3 RC263. If I don't like that layout they have a very good no cost return policy. Planned to grab 4 of the rear surrounds RS152 but now they are on back order. Should just grab them anyways as the bose mini cubes really need to go.

When everything is said and done. Was it really worth saying and doing?
Darth Octane is offline  
post #488 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 10:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
.....................
Kinetic Dyslexic is offline  
post #489 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 10:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
................
Kinetic Dyslexic is offline  
post #490 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
........................(trying to submit links on new account)
Kinetic Dyslexic is offline  
post #491 of 530 Old 05-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Octane View Post
Sounds like a good review. I went ahead and grabbed the 3 RC263. If I don't like that layout they have a very good no cost return policy. Planned to grab 4 of the rear surrounds RS152 but now they are on back order. Should just grab them anyways as the bose mini cubes really need to go.
I found this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudio..._home_theater/


Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater..._home_theater/


Apparently they do even better vertically standing. At least that's what I took from it. Though they should also sound great flat.


I am going with the typical setup: Bookshelves, and center. Let me, and the community know once you get it set up, and adjusted properly.
Kinetic Dyslexic is offline  
post #492 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 476
RC263 measured very well at ASR:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12442/

It's a really awesome speaker, as long as space is not an issue.

R162 also:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12333/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is online now  
post #493 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 07:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
@Pete7874 bought both and compared last year. He posted his impressions over in the Chane owners thread.

I'm using the RC263 with Chane A1.4s, so while not a direct comparison of the centers, I can give you my impressions on the sonic signatures. Both brands are fairly neutral to my ear with the Infinity tilting a little higher above the midrange/tweeter crossover. Clarity is excellent on both. Even though the RC263 uses larger woofers, the XBL^2 woofs on the Chane 5.25's allows them to be pushed when needed. Both brands are steals at their respective selling prices.

The Infinity is sealed and the Chane is ported, if that matters to you.
@Pete7874 comparison looks interesting also the sealed vs ported. Apart from his size hurdle, both seems to be similar in delivering sound. I have offer for a month used chane a2.4 at $250 and current sale of rc263 at $160 , thinking of if extra $90 will really make a difference and give a upper hand to chane in terms of quality else if they are going to be similar will place my bet on infinity sale now.
santu is offline  
post #494 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by santu View Post
thinking of if extra $90 will really make a difference and give a upper hand to chane in terms of quality else if they are going to be similar will place my bet on infinity sale now.
From a build quality, I'd say they're both good. The only place where the RC263 falls short is the grille - it feels rathery flimsy/wobbly and uneven when you push the pegs into the speaker, but that's just a minor OCD rant. Some of us prefer to keep the grilles off, in which case it's a non issue.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is online now  
post #495 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Member
 
Darth Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
From a build quality, I'd say they're both good. The only place where the RC263 falls short is the grille - it feels rathery flimsy/wobbly and uneven when you push the pegs into the speaker, but that's just a minor OCD rant. Some of us prefer to keep the grilles off, in which case it's a non issue.
So do you think the RC263 would sound good as an LCR layout all sitting under a projection screen with the LR toed in? I am assuming to get the most out of the R162 I would have to be able to set them up higher to get them closer to ear level and I just don't have that room on the sides of the screen. Screen is 19" from the floor so that is all the room I have to work with. I would tip all the RC263's upward to direct them more to the listeners. Keep in mind this is not a dedicated home theater in the traditional sense. Just a family room in the basement with a screen and projector and 7.1 sound. There are no theater seats (sold them) and just a monster Lovesac sactional sofa. Movie nights are pretty much my wife and I with the dogs. Looking for a fuller soundstage that is more balanced without blasting the whole house.

To put it in perspective I have an old set of Klipsch quintet SL speakers. I used them for LCR and recently replaced the center with a BIC Acoustech PL-28II. Was going to get two more of those and the PL-66 for surrounds. With thecurrent sale on Infinity I can do the RC263's and RS152's for less.

When everything is said and done. Was it really worth saying and doing?

Last edited by Darth Octane; 05-20-2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: more info
Darth Octane is offline  
post #496 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Newbie
 
Sam_I_am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The surrounding RS152 looks like a dual two-way 1"/5.25" from the pictures but the description only states a single woofer.
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this speaker? It sorta looks like two car speakers don't it?

I'm not sure if these are going to put out enough midbass for the rear surrounds if it's only two tweeters. I plan on getting the center 263, L/R 162, and perhaps the RS152 surrounds. I also have an old Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 that I added to a basic Yamaha HTib from 2005. That's what I'd be replacing (finally) What do you guys think?

Also, Would the center match any other L/R tower beside the 263, in case I feel the need to improve it further down the road? I could always move the R162 to surround and the RS152 to rear if new towers could come into the mix later.

I'm pretty excited to hear the center though. My ears have been craving more but instead of justifying a better system, I have been slowly losing interest in music and cinema. Figured I may as well do a small upgrade and please my ears a bit longer while I still can.

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 05-20-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Sam_I_am is offline  
post #497 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,716
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2068
I have 3 pairs of the RS152. Midbass from them will surprise you, at least once mounted to a wall and after EQ levels everything. They succeed at creating a larger sound rather than a pinpoint, and are low profile which is nice in a small room. I preferred their clarity over Emotiva E2s (huge difference), though the Emotivas are ported and sound a bit more full.
Sam_I_am likes this.
Soulburner is online now  
post #498 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 03:32 PM
Newbie
 
Sam_I_am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I have 3 pairs of the RS152. Midbass from them will surprise you, at least once mounted to a wall and after EQ levels everything. They succeed at creating a larger sound rather than a pinpoint, and are low profile which is nice in a small room. I preferred their clarity over Emotiva E2s (huge difference), though the Emotivas are ported and sound a bit more full.
I have since looked them up on some sites that showed the woofer on the back and realized how mistaken I was to think it had two oval woofers behind the tweeters. Now that I know, I see how they would succeed in that larger sound effect with the woofer right up against the wall like that. Interesting.

And thanks for chiming in! surprisingly, not very many reviews out there for the RS152. I really wanted to know what to expect but since I couldn't hear them I played it safe and bought the R162 already for front-LR and surround..I'm thinking it's overkill for my situation if I added them but then again you have three of those pairs!

I may have to go backorder the RS152 and may as well add an equalizer to the wishlist.

Have any budget-friendly suggestions? Last EQ I had was Kenwood home stereo system and this Yamaha HTR 5740 doesn't look like it's going to cut it anymore.

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 05-20-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Sam_I_am is offline  
post #499 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,716
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2068
You're right that there's hardly anything on the internet about them. A few of things led to me deciding on the RS152.

Low profile, low price on sale, somewhat diffuse sound, and ready to hang. All of that told me they would actually make great on-ceiling Atmos speakers. I have yet to actually put them up there but I have no doubt they'll be perfect for the task.

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-22-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #500 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 03:48 PM
Newbie
 
Sam_I_am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
You're right that there's hardly anything on the internet about them. A few of things led to me deciding on the RS152.

Low profile, low price on sale, somewhat diffuse sound, and ready to hang. All of that told me they would actually make great on-ceiling Atmos speakers. I have yet to actually put them up there but I have no doubt they'll be perfect for the task. This way, my height and surround speakers will all be the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_I_am View Post
I have since looked them up on some sites that showed the woofer on the back and realized how mistaken I was to think it had two oval woofers behind the tweeters. Now that I know, I see how they would succeed in that larger sound effect with the woofer right up against the wall like that. Interesting.

And thanks for chiming in! surprisingly, not very many reviews out there for the RS152. I really wanted to know what to expect but since I couldn't hear them I played it safe and bought the R162 already for front-LR and surround..I'm thinking it's overkill for my situation if I added them but then again you have three of those pairs!

I may have to go backorder the RS152 and may as well add an equalizer to the wishlist.

Have any budget-friendly suggestions? Last EQ I had was Kenwood home stereo system and this Yamaha HTR 5740 doesn't look like it's going to cut it anymore.
Yes, now I'm becoming convinced I may as well go the extra mile. I was editing my last one and think you replied before I could ask (above).
Sam_I_am is offline  
post #501 of 530 Old 05-20-2020, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,716
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2068
For EQ I use either Audyssey or Dirac depending on the AVR. I have experience with Denon and NAD.
Sam_I_am likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #502 of 530 Old 05-21-2020, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,386
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Octane View Post
So do you think the RC263 would sound good as an LCR layout all sitting under a projection screen with the LR toed in? I am assuming to get the most out of the R162 I would have to be able to set them up higher to get them closer to ear level and I just don't have that room on the sides of the screen. Screen is 19" from the floor so that is all the room I have to work with. I would tip all the RC263's upward to direct them more to the listeners. Keep in mind this is not a dedicated home theater in the traditional sense. Just a family room in the basement with a screen and projector and 7.1 sound. There are no theater seats (sold them) and just a monster Lovesac sactional sofa. Movie nights are pretty much my wife and I with the dogs. Looking for a fuller soundstage that is more balanced without blasting the whole house.



To put it in perspective I have an old set of Klipsch quintet SL speakers. I used them for LCR and recently replaced the center with a BIC Acoustech PL-28II. Was going to get two more of those and the PL-66 for surrounds. With thecurrent sale on Infinity I can do the RC263's and RS152's for less.
Had those BiC's and now have the Infinity Reference RC263 and I would definitely do the Infinity setup over the BIC. Only caveat is the PL-66 is a great surround/effects speaker albeit a bit hard to flat mount to a wall and a bit bulky. I have those as well but not in use at the moment.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #503 of 530 Old 05-21-2020, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Darth Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Had those BiC's and now have the Infinity Reference RC263 and I would definitely do the Infinity setup over the BIC. Only caveat is the PL-66 is a great surround/effects speaker albeit a bit hard to flat mount to a wall and a bit bulky. I have those as well but not in use at the moment.
What are you using for Surrounds now? I got the 3 RC263's. Their website is being stupid about the surrounds and not letting me choose free shipping on checkout (I have a ticket submitted with them so we will see)

When everything is said and done. Was it really worth saying and doing?
Darth Octane is offline  
post #504 of 530 Old 05-21-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,386
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Octane View Post
What are you using for Surrounds now? I got the 3 RC263's. Their website is being stupid about the surrounds and not letting me choose free shipping on checkout (I have a ticket submitted with them so we will see)
Currently have the Infinity Reference bipole surrounds set up just above seated ear height. My BIC PL-66's are sitting a foot or so above them on french cleats unhooked as I think I'll find some use for them later down the road just not as my side surrounds.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #505 of 530 Old 05-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Natrix1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Anyone know if any of these Infinity Reference speakers that are on sale would be an upgrade/downgrade or a wash on older Infinity Interlude series IL36 center and IL60's for L/R?

I was looking at possibly ordering 2 pairs of the RS152's to replace my current sides and rears.

I don't have a problem with the current set up but am getting an itch to get new subs. It is a living room set up so I would probably need to get rid of the IL60's for space saving if going to new subs.
Natrix1973 is offline  
post #506 of 530 Old 05-21-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post
Anyone know if any of these Infinity Reference speakers that are on sale would be an upgrade/downgrade or a wash on older Infinity Interlude series IL36 center and IL60's for L/R?
How old are the ILs? If the caps are still original, it's possible they're worn out and negatively impacting sound quality, so new speakers may be an improvement from that perspective alone.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is online now  
post #507 of 530 Old 05-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Newbie
 
blitz1856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been looking at the Reference series for replacing a 7.1 Emotiva surround system that I haven't used for a while as I think most things sound better (dialog intelligibility) using my Dennis Murphy Phil 3 mains in stereo mode. But I do miss surround for movies and was thinking of taking a shot on the RC263 on sale which I know is a solid center to replace the Emotiva center which I've never been happy with (I believe they are the ER series from a while back). No idea how well it would blend with the Phil 3s, but at the sale prices the risk is pretty low. But as I would ultimately like to build at Atmos system, ideally with the Philharmonic mains (no longer a center available), but possibly with separate L-R speakers sitting next to them, that leads to some questions that I'm hoping people who are more familiar with the Reference line might have some input on:

1. I know the dedicated surround speakers come with mounting hardware, but I believe for Atmos, Dolby recommends point sources. I don't see that Infinity sells any wall mounts for the bookshelf models. If this is correct, is there any easy aftermarket bracket that is compatible? That said, anyone using the RS152s in an Atmos setup and recommend them over trying to put 152s on the wall? Or possibly 152s for side surrounds and RS152s for rears where they're partly behind a second row on a platform s diffusion might be better.
2. For height speakers, sounds like Infinity doesn't have anything matching in the Reference line. Any idea if any of the JBL ceiling speakers are tone matched to Infinity, or if they are different enough I should assume needing to mix-and-match when considering Infinity vs other brands that may or may not have a full line? I don't think tone matching the ambiance speakers is critical, but just a pro and con to consider.

Given the solid user feedback and professional reviews, it's amazing to me that if you can get away with using 162 mains, you can build a 7.1 system for $565! The cost would be much higher with 253 mains, which I'd prefer, but I haven't seen them on sale the last 2 times. Either way, I'd love to have a Revel setup but it's like 10x more expensive for even the lower cost line which I can't afford and from published third party measurements, they are better but not vastly.
GLBright likes this.
blitz1856 is offline  
post #508 of 530 Old 05-22-2020, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
JonnyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I ordered the RC263 and R162 to replace the Kef Q100s and Q200c in my little home theatre. Had to jump through a fee hoops to order since I’m in Canada - had to have my sister who lives in the States order as Harman will only process payment via Paypal US accounts and credit cards with US addresses. I’ll then have it couriered from Pembina ND to Winnipeg for $60 Cdn. After exchange, it’ll cost $500 CDN ... still a great deal as electronics are a little more expensive up here. Once I sell my Kefs, I’ll be $100 out of pocket at most.

I’ll take some measurements with REW and post once I get the speakers next week.

JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Infinity R162 L/R, Infinity RC263 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy V-Mini - front atmos, Dual PSA v1512df, & BOSS w/4 12” Subs Extra Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, X-Rite i1 Pro 2, Calman Home Enthusiast, HDFury Vertex2, miniDSP 2x4 HD, & HTPC w/2080 Ti.
JonnyVee is online now  
post #509 of 530 Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I don't really need them, but it's just too good of deal on the R162's, so I ordered a pair. It'll be fun to compare them to the Chane A1.4's I'm using now, and the Chane L3 bookshelves when they become available.
GLBright and Soulburner like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is online now  
post #510 of 530 Old 05-23-2020, 09:22 AM
Member
 
aaks38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thought id chime in, I just received my RC263 center and currently have a Revel F206 with Revel M105 setup in a 5.1, with one M105 being used as a center. Im not an audiophile and as im 49 and not with the best hearing, but I will say the RC263 sounds really good and in fact has the same clarity and presence as the M105 but a bit brighter. As I sit around my room, the RC seems to have better off axis response. My Denons audessey calibrated the RC263 center with my F206 mains very nicely and I cant notice any "timbre" issues as the audiophiles would claim. The RC263 has a very full sound but does take up a lot of space but luckily I had the room for it since I was running a bookshelf under mine. I got the Infinity as its in the Harmon line and obviously borrows technology from the Revel line but the drivers and cabinet are not the same. As I look at the drivers, you can see a lot of similarities. For the money its a no brainer and a damn good purchase. I cant imagine how much better a $2k Revel center would be to justify the cost considering im already comparing it to an existing Revel bookshelf. This center is worth every penny!
Vergiliusm, GLBright, JP32 and 1 others like this.
aaks38 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off