Infinity Reference owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #61 of 381 Old 06-23-2016, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
You might want to check with the Infinity fans over at Audiokarma. All they discuss are the older designs. This thread is about the current Reference line, not the RS series from long ago. Good luck.
Will do. Thanks for the help

Lou A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 381 Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Currently using Infinity Beta 40, 20 & C360 speakers.
Would the Infinity Reference R263, R162, RC263 be a noticeable improvement?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1

Vizio D58U-D3 (Costco) TV
post #63 of 381 Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was wondering if anyone knows, are the Reference speakers being discontinued like the Primus line? It seems they are getting harder and harder to find as time goes on.

I am looking to buy the large center channel (RC263), does anyone know what the best place to order with the lowest price for a new one?

I currently have 2 front R253 and 2 of the reference surround speakers. Due to having a baby gate where the center channel is, I skipped the center channel. There is also the issue with the large reference center being too tall for my TV stand shelf. In the next few years, the baby gate will go and I will have a new TV with a new stand. I am concerned when I am ready to buy, the Reference series will be gone. As much as I would hate to do it, I am thinking of ordering the center, opening it and testing it out then putting it away for a while.

Thanks

Teddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 381 Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello all,

I've been looking into the Sub r12 12" subwoofer from the reference line. Has anyone heard it and would $150 for a refurbished one be a good deal? How does this compare to other subs out there?
post #65 of 381 Old 09-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dltnjarrel View Post
Hello all,

I've been looking into the Sub r12 12" subwoofer from the reference line. Has anyone heard it and would $150 for a refurbished one be a good deal? How does this compare to other subs out there?
I have the R12 subwoofer. it is certainly worth $150. The going rate was $499 but there are nearly impossible to find anymore except through Infinities website. They review very well in Sound&Vision. I honestly I haven't heard many others so I don't have a bases to compare it too. Mine has nice tight bass for music. Though not a fan Dubstep sound phenomenal. I don't think they go as low as others. The manual say 29Hz but no db on it. It works well for movies but gets a little boomy in the really low LFE.
post #66 of 381 Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Infinity Reference Home Theater

My home theater is made up mostly of speakers from the reference line. I have R162 for l/r, RC152 for centers and RS152 for surround and 2 R12 subs. I have the CS80R in ceiling for atmos. When I first got them, I was not blown away by them. I almost sent them back but I got them from Crutchfield for 40% off. The R162 were $299 when regularly they are $449.

Not being home theater savvy, I researched what I could do to improve the overall sound. Realized my placement was all wrong on the front stage. I spent a day moving, listening and moving again. The L/F were too far apart. The front baffles needed to be 3 feet from the back wall to clear up the mid. The center needed to be tilted up. They are even weighted and shaped just for that. The 2 subs I placed at 1/3's across the front.

It is night and day. The sound is clear and detailed but not bright. I still can't understand Tom Hardy's dialog in The Revenant but I'm not sure any system can fix that. I knew the bass was right when I knocked the pool cues off the rack in the next room watching U-571. They are equally good with music. They love power. I have an Onkyo tx-nr838. When I get to reference level volume, The speakers just disappear. I had always heard about it but now I know what it means. Of course the wife will disappear too if I ever do that again.

I took a risk buying them. There is so little information on them. I feel I got the most possible with my budget. My only regret was not getting the 3 way center. I don't know why there wasn't more buzz about this line when they came out. Now they are going away.
GLBright likes this.
post #67 of 381 Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo14 View Post
My home theater is made up mostly of speakers from the reference line. I have R162 for l/r, RC152 for centers and RS152 for surround and 2 R12 subs. I have the CS80R in ceiling for atmos. When I first got them, I was not blown away by them. I almost sent them back but I got them from Crutchfield for 40% off. The R162 were $299 when regularly they are $449.

Not being home theater savvy, I researched what I could do to improve the overall sound. Realized my placement was all wrong on the front stage. I spent a day moving, listening and moving again. The L/F were too far apart. The front baffles needed to be 3 feet from the back wall to clear up the mid. The center needed to be tilted up. They are even weighted and shaped just for that. The 2 subs I placed at 1/3's across the front.

It is night and day. The sound is clear and detailed but not bright. I still can't understand Tom Hardy's dialog in The Revenant but I'm not sure any system can fix that. I knew the bass was right when I knocked the pool cues off the rack in the next room watching U-571. They are equally good with music. They love power. I have an Onkyo tx-nr838. When I get to reference level volume, The speakers just disappear. I had always heard about it but now I know what it means. Of course the wife will disappear too if I ever do that again.

I took a risk buying them. There is so little information on them. I feel I got the most possible with my budget. My only regret was not getting the 3 way center. I don't know why there wasn't more buzz about this line when they came out. Now they are going away.
Glad to hear you are happy with your setup. I'm currently running R253 towers up front, Polk TSX150 center, R152's for surrounds, Klipsch Sub-12, and I regret not dropping the cash for the 3-way center. Now I'm looking to find one of a different make that will sound good with the rest of my system. The Polk isn't bad but it starts to distort at high volumes well before the rest of my setup.

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Onkyo TX-NR646
Infinity R253 towers
Infinity RC263 center
Infinity R152 surrounds
Klipsch Sub-12
post #68 of 381 Old 10-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Thinking about picking up an Elac C5 to replace my Polk but I'm wondering how much of upgrade it will really be.

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Onkyo TX-NR646
Infinity R253 towers
Infinity RC263 center
Infinity R152 surrounds
Klipsch Sub-12
post #69 of 381 Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaQue View Post
Thinking about picking up an Elac C5 to replace my Polk but I'm wondering how much of upgrade it will really be.
You might also consider picking up a used Infinity 36/360 center from their Alpha, Beta, or Interlude series. There's a strong possibility that any of these will be a better match for your mains than something from another brand.

Last edited by GLBright; 10-04-2016 at 09:00 AM.
post #70 of 381 Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
You might also consider picking up a used Infinity 36/360 center from their Alpha, Beta, or Interlude series. There's a strong possibility that any of these will be a better match for your mains than something from another brand.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

Samsung UN65KS8000F
Onkyo TX-NR646
Infinity R253 towers
Infinity RC263 center
Infinity R152 surrounds
Klipsch Sub-12
post #71 of 381 Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo14 View Post

I am needing 4 speakers for Atmos. How did you like the CS80R's? I can get them for under $50 ea... $200 for all 4 seems like a good deal.
post #72 of 381 Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If I may, I'd like to add my very novice observations regarding the R263. A while back I purchased a set of R263s online from a reputable site in their scratch/dent section. Luckily the only thing dented was the outside box, and they were double boxed, so no external blemishes. They are much heavier than the pair of RF42-IIs I had been using. I like the Klipsch for their ability to be loud and dynamic without much power, but the R263s reveal a lot more detail in the upper registers. I hear things such as flute trills and wind chimes I did not hear at all with the 42-IIs. The Klipsch seem to give me listening fatigue after a while, which I haven't experienced with the Infinity. The bass seems to be accurate but not extremely powerful, so I added a sub to provide some rumble. They are connected to a Sony STR DH740 with a Samsung blu-ray player for CDs and digital files.

The R263s are obviously the nicest equipment in my setup, the rest was kind of purchased hastily to replace old non functional Fisher electronics when I acquired a plasma display. I've thought about what equipment could be improved to potentially get better sound from the speakers, to no avail. What I mean by this is that I've been reading on the forums but I lack the experience and maybe the ability to process all the information here to make good decisions on equipment purchases. I don't regret the purchase of the R263s, I've enjoyed what I've heard so far from them.
post #73 of 381 Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm from Europe and need a Infinity tweeter part number 974206, for my Reference 31i speakers but I can't see it available anywhere. I saw that Audax supplies Infinity tweeters so I would like to know if the TW025A0 or TW025m1 fits on my speaker.

Do you guys know this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2056049  
post #74 of 381 Old 11-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Pretty good discounts on the Reference Series right now.

I just ordered a pair of the R162 bookshelf speakers to evaluate.

As a side note, these speakers have one of my pet peeves - lack of exposed fasteners for the drivers. I always like to check the fastener tightness when I get new speakers, and like exposed fasteners in case a driver needs to be replaced. Trim rings to hide fasteners are a PITA, IMO...bling for the sake of bling.
CruelInventions and 49Merc like this.
post #75 of 381 Old 11-27-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
... thanks for the non-link. Maybe more of a clue next time? As in, any clue.

After randomly clicking around looking for them, the above deal is only found on the infinityspeakers site. Not Crutchfield. Not Amazon. Not B&H, etc.

Deal ends in a few hours though. Good deal though if you're in the market and interested.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #76 of 381 Old 11-28-2017, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
... thanks for the non-link. Maybe more of a clue next time? As in, any clue.

After randomly clicking around looking for them, the above deal is only found on the infinityspeakers site. Not Crutchfield. Not Amazon. Not B&H, etc.

Deal ends in a few hours though. Good deal though if you're in the market and interested.
Sorry, should have mentioned the Infinity site, but googling a model number gets you there.

Looks like the sale is over.
post #77 of 381 Old 11-28-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Sorry, should have mentioned the Infinity site, but googling a model number gets you there.

Looks like the sale is over.
They had a count down clock up when I posted yesterday. Had only a few hours left to go last night.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #78 of 381 Old 11-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

R162's were delivered yesterday. Unboxed them, but only had time for a quick, casual listen. My only observation at this point is that male vocals have great clarity and presence. More to come on sound impressions as I get some time with them.

Physically, they are definitely on the larger side, especially height-wise. They seem solidly made based on a quick knuckle wrap.

Looking through the port, the back side of the tweeter is covered in a silvery case - not sure if it is plastic or metal. The connection wires penetrate this case through a hole. The magnet and wire connection tabs are not visible. I have never seen a tweeter design like this.

Has anyone ever removed a tweeter or driver from this series? Knowing how this is done would give me some peace of mind, if I hold onto them for the long-term.
GLBright and TuteTibiImperes like this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #79 of 381 Old 12-02-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I received my r162 placed during the blackfriday sales. After two days of listening and comparing, below is my first impression. First thing I noticed is the clarity and resolution. I mostly listen to classical music, and these Infinity resolve bigger orchestral work to the dot. On Handel's Water Music Suite, I can easily place the oboe and violin, which I wasn't able to previously on my Focal and Denton. Secondly, the sound stage is very wide and forward, almost 2 feet in front of the plain of the speakers. On my other speakers, the cello and violin sections during the 2nd movement of Pathetique Symphony seem to both emanate from the center left of the sound stage; but on the r162, cello comes from center right and violin from center left, even though the difference is subtle. My only gripe is the bass, the lack of which is evident in Hungarian Rhapsody No.2, where the lower register just doesn't have the body I am accustomed to. Maybe it has something to do "burn in"? I wasn't expecting bone shaking bass, but judging by the frequency response chart, it should have ample ability to perfectly reproduce a piano's lower register. I will give it a few more days of listening and report back on the bass.
adam2434 and TuteTibiImperes like this.
post #80 of 381 Old 12-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

I did not get much time to listen to the R162 because I noticed that one of the woofers was making a slight buzzing sound with double bass. It was not very noticeable at the listening position, but definitely noticeable with my ear close to the woofer.

Normally, I would just return a pair of speakers with an issue out of the box and move on. However, based on what I was hearing with these, I am going to give another pair a shot (replacement from Harman). I expect that it will take a couple weeks for the first pair to be received by Harman and second pair shipped out.

With my limited listening time with them, one of the things that struck me is how well they disappear. They have a very involving soundstage and imaging, forward and enveloping are words that come to mind.

They also have great resolution and detail, but are not too bright, IMO.

The bass seems "polite", but articulate. They don't energize the room like the Polk S20's can. The Polks have impressive bass impact for a 6.5" woofer bookshelf speaker. However, the Polks can sound bass-heavy when too close to the wall. I'll get more bass impressions when the second pair arrives (hopefully without woofer issues).

Based on S&V's measurements, the R162 are -3dB at 67Hz and -6dB at 52Hz. They measured the Polk S20 at -3dB at 52Hz and -6dB at 46Hz. For reference, their bass extension measurements for the JBL S230 were almost identical to the Polk S20 measurements.

In the hometheaterreview.com review of the R263 floorstander, the bass was described as lacking and restrained, to paraphrase. However, their measurements were +/- 2dB from 38Hz to 20kHz (averaged). That seems like pretty good bass extension from a small-footprint floorstander.

Perhaps this Infinity series has relatively overdamped bass?

BTW, I listened to the R162 and Polk S20 in our basement media room, running full-range with no sub. The electronics are an Emotiva DC-1 DAC/pre and a Rotel RB-1582 MKII amp. Polk LS90 floorstanders are the main speakers in this room. I use the LS90 as stands for bookshelf speakers that I am evaluating, flipping the bookshelf speakers upside-down to get the tweeters close to ear level when sitting.

After evaluating the R162 in the system above, I'll move them to a secondary 2.1 system with a Denon AVR and two JBL SUB 550P subwoofers, running the R162 as small with 80Hz crossover.

There are a lot of pretty good bookshelf speakers in the $250-350/pair range these days. I'm putting the R162 in that price range based on the recent $270/pair sale, because perhaps they will go back on sale in the future. To me, the R162 stick-out from others I've owned in that price range because of their resolution, imaging, and soundstage capabilities...but certainly not their bass in 2.0 channel.

The woofer buzzing has me a bit concerned about the woofer design and/or quality control. I do feel like I'm taking a bit of a chance on them, assuming I keep the second pair past the return period. With the trim ring inconvenience and uncertainty about replacement woofer and tweeter availability (is the series being discontinued?), they kind of go against some of my speaker "rules" for long-term keepers. However, some of their sonic qualities have me willing to break my rules.

Last edited by adam2434; 12-03-2017 at 05:29 PM.
post #81 of 381 Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 104
I have a feeling that the line has already been discontinued. That may be why they're on sale. If they are dc'd that would make the Reference line the last home audio Infinity speakers.
post #82 of 381 Old 12-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

I also wonder "who" at Harman designed and engineered the Reference Series, and how much trickle-down they received from Revel design. Does Harman have totally different engineering groups for Revel, Infinity and JBL home speakers, or do they share engineering resources and design?

The tweeter waveguide design is Revel trickle-down, from what I've read.

I've owned several JBL speakers over the years (LS80, Studio 530, and Studio 230), but have never heard a Revel model. They are pretty pricey, but very well-regarded.
GLBright likes this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
post #83 of 381 Old 12-27-2017, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Does anybody know what's going on with Infinity's home speakers, i.e., the Reference line?

I'm interested in getting a pair of R253s. They seem like pretty ideal speakers. Harmon engineering, fairly compact size, true 3-way design, sealed midrange driver, fancy tweeter waveguide and acoustic lens that look like they're from Revel, and drivers made out of a similar-sounding material to Revel's. The few reviews of Infinity Reference speakers online are mostly glowing and they seem to measure as well as almost any speaker has ever measured.

So why are they hard to buy? Why aren't they carried at the big box stores like the Primus speakers were? Why does it seem like they're usually out of stock in the online stores that do claim to carry them? Are they being discontinued? It looks like people have been wondering this for more than a year now, so if they are being discontinued, why hasn't it finished happening yet?

Should I be worried that they might get discontinued right after I buy them? Would Harmon honor the warranty if one breaks? Would I be able to get a replacement, or replacement parts if necessary?

Should I feel stupid paying almost-list price for Infinity speakers when the Primus line was frequently offered at e.g. Fry's for huge discounts? Are there deals to be had on these speakers?

Also, somewhat related, any idea why Brent Butterworth complained so bitterly about the R263's lack of bass? They play solid down to 38Hz, just like a bunch of other floor-standing speakers that people _don't_ complain about. Not sure what the deal is? I would be buying the R253s because my bookshelf speakers are _really_ anemic re: bass, and I don't want to jump on another model with the same issue.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.
post #84 of 381 Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.
I lost count at 17 questions.

(good questions, just teasing)
post #85 of 381 Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are a couple pertinent posts. See the linked one and then the following post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post55349658
post #86 of 381 Old 12-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Here are a couple pertinent posts. See the linked one and then the following post:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post55349658
Thanks for the link. I've seen other posts indicating that the Infinity waveguide and acoustic lens aren't related to Revel's, but that idea seems ridiculous to me. The depth, width, and height of the waveguides look almost identical to me. And the acoustic lens looks almost identical--a button in the middle with a ring around it. What other speaker in the world has an acoustic lens that looks even remotely like that, and I'm supposed to believe that two Harmon speakers that were developed by the same parent company in the same place at roughly the same time both have acoustic lenses that look almost identical to each other and that's just pure coincidence? Like I said, seems ridiculous.
post #87 of 381 Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I've seen other posts indicating that the Infinity waveguide and acoustic lens aren't related to Revel's, but that idea seems ridiculous to me......
I tend to agree there. I'm wondering if there was a miscommunication involved, like maybe Glazer thought the question was in reference to the older Primus line and not the newer Reference Series, or something like that. And I seem to recall that someone supposedly in the know might have suggested or confirmed there was some sharing going on from big brother (Revel) to little brother (Infinity) speaker. I'm not positive that my memory is clear on this though. The alternatives (sheer coincidence? idea theft?) however, do seem rather implausible.
motrek likes this.
post #88 of 381 Old 12-27-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree there. I'm wondering if there was a miscommunication involved, like maybe Glazer thought the question was in reference to the older Primus line and not the newer Reference Series, or something like that. And I seem to recall that someone supposedly in the know might have suggested or confirmed there was some sharing going on from big brother (Revel) to little brother (Infinity) speaker. I'm not positive that my memory is clear on this though. The alternatives (sheer coincidence? idea theft?) however, do seem rather implausible.
You might be thinking of this:

https://hometheaterreview.com/measur...also-did-full/

Brent Butterworth said in his review:

"The philosophy seems to be to take some of the awesome engineering that Harman has put into its Revel speaker line and bring it out at much more affordable prices. Who could argue with that?"

So he didn't claim technology sharing outright, but close.
post #89 of 381 Old 12-30-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So he didn't claim technology sharing outright, but close.
He may have assumed based upon their prior history of sharing tech, I don't know. It's a bit of a head-scratcher. Not to mention the whole seeming abandonment of the Infinity Reference line shortly after introduction. Infinity (Primus) had been around for years upon years and finally, they bring something new out, only for it to be relegated to the trash-heap of speaker history so soon. Or so it would seem.
post #90 of 381 Old 12-30-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
He may have assumed based upon their prior history of sharing tech, I don't know. It's a bit of a head-scratcher. Not to mention the whole seeming abandonment of the Infinity Reference line shortly after introduction. Infinity (Primus) had been around for years upon years and finally, they bring something new out, only for it to be relegated to the trash-heap of speaker history so soon. Or so it would seem.
The bottom line is that Infinity speakers have almost become extinct, except for car audio where the money is to be made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers