SQ of speakers on a shelf & subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
SQ of speakers on a shelf & subwoofer

If I was to put PA level (not high quality home audio) speakers on a wooden shelf bolted to the wall studs through drywall, how would the sound quality be? am I better off hanging them off the ceiling and walls with chains like in nightclubs? how best to mount these speakers at ear level or higher?

no ports on the back of the speakers, controlled via mixing board

specs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_845STGP....html?tp=63667

this would be for a teenage dancer & friends in a home studio in the basement of a home with the studio room being 3600^ with an opening to a 1000^ room (studio is only for the 3600^ room). flooring is industrial carpet for now over concrete

---

considering a Hsu 15" or SVS PB-2000 for a subwoofer to fill the space with decent bass

I've been recommended to get the Yamaha DXS12 & DXS15, but I think the Hsu & SVS are better.

Opinions on mounting speakers & choice of sub for the space?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited by SC2006; 08-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3113
Obviously you are looking for output in a studio (even though the studio isn't much larger than many peoples family room). I'll let those that are familiar with PA-type speakers answer that question (although I personal doubt mounting them is such a fashion would have much of an adverse effect unless they are rear-ported).

The Yamaha you mentioned might work very well for you, provided Yamaha's specs are accurate. The 15-inch sub has plenty of output (132 dB SPL @ 1 meter), but here's the kicker, they don't specify at what frequency. The Yamaha won't reach much lower than 45 Hz, but that really isn't too important in a dance studio. The I.D. companies you mentioned are highly respected (as is PSA, Reaction Audio and Rythmik) and all their subs will go much deeper (to 20 Hz and below). But you need to find out their output capability at different frequencies. You can find output info of some of the I.D. subs here: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems
post #3 of 3 Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2006 View Post
If I was to put PA level (not high quality home audio) speakers on a wooden shelf bolted to the wall studs through drywall, how would the sound quality be?
You'll get a cancellation notch centered at the 1/4 wavelength distance from the front of the cabinet to the wall, the result of the reflected wave off the wall meeting the original wave ay 180 degrees out of phase (Allison Effect). Assuming that's roughly a foot the notch will occur around 280Hz. You want them either flush mounted, so that there's no reflection off the wall behind them, or far enough from the wall that the 1/4 wavelength distance is above the baffle step frequency, where the radiation pattern shifts to directional. As that cab is about a foot wide the baffle step will be around 1130Hz, so you'd want the baffles at least four feet out from the wall.
BTW, this applies to all speakers, not just pro-sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page