Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos? - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 871Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 3029 Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
irishluck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Is anyone utilizing the KEF Ci160.2CR for Atmos duties?

A smaller 6.5" speaker that looks to be living room aesthetics friendly and claims to go down to 52Hz with 89dB sensitivity.

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
irishluck73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 3029 Old 06-30-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Is anyone utilizing the KEF Ci160.2CR for Atmos duties?

A smaller 6.5" speaker that looks to be living room aesthetics friendly and claims to go down to 52Hz with 89dB sensitivity.

I'm not using them, and I wouldn't worry too much about the low-end if you're running sub(s). That speaker will do just fine for Atmos.
irishluck73 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #2973 of 3029 Old 06-30-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Is anyone utilizing the KEF Ci160.2CR for Atmos duties?

A smaller 6.5" speaker that looks to be living room aesthetics friendly and claims to go down to 52Hz with 89dB sensitivity.

I'm not using them, but I wouldn't worry too much about the low-end if you're running sub(s). That speaker will do just fine for Atmos.
irishluck73 and KenM10759 like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2974 of 3029 Old 07-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Senior Member
 
brianjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Question for people who have a lot of experience with Atmos movies. - Is the typical Atmos content better served by having better clarity and detail or a speaker capable of going lower with a fuller sound?

I haven't heard Atmos yet but I'm thinking more of jets flying over, thunder, etc. but I may be completely off base.
Not sure I can answer this directly after hearing just one set of speakers, but after reading most of this thread and experiencing Atmos in my room I feel I can offer some helpful insights. When I stick my ear next to the Atmos speakers while playing content from the Atmos demonstration disc, I don't hear a lot of sounds with the type of detail required of center, left or right channel speakers. Most of the content is ambient, so I don't think anyone will suffer from lack of detail from their Atmos speakers. As an example, on some music tracks from the disc, it was mostly the reverb sounds coming out of the Atmos speakers or the white noise from the crowd. On the Star Wars Battlefront track, there is a lot of deep sounds from the fighters passing overhead. In the opening scene of Aquaman there was some thunder. Based on the content I listened to, I opted for 8" speakers to make sure I was getting a good experience with the deeper sound effects. I think that coupled with dispersion is far more important than getting the most detailed speakers you can find. I suspect every speaker discussed in this thread is plenty detailed enough to provide a good Atmos experience. I also suspect thin sounding special effects will stand out a lot more than not hearing a cricket chirp. Also keep in mind that anything above 80hz starts get in the area where it can be localized. If there is a sound coming out of the Atmos channel that is just above 80hz, you want to hear it overhead and not from your subwoofer.
tigerhonaker and irishluck73 like this.

Last edited by brianjb; 07-03-2019 at 06:57 AM.
brianjb is offline  
post #2975 of 3029 Old 07-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
irishluck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
When I stick my ear next to the Atmos speakers while playing content from the Atmos demonstration disc, I don't hear a lot of sounds with the type of detail required of center, left or right channel speakers. Most of the content is ambient, so I don't think anyone will suffer from lack of detail from their Atmos speakers. As an example, on some music tracks from the disc, it was mostly the reverb sounds coming out of the Atmos speakers or the white noise from the crowd. On the Star Wars Battlefront track, there is a lot of deep sounds from the fighters passing overhead. In the opening scene of Aquaman there was some thunder. Based on the content I listened to, I opted for 8" speakers to make sure I was getting a good experience with the deeper sound effects. I think that coupled with dispersion is far more important than getting the most detailed speakers you can find. I suspect every speaker discussed in this thread is plenty detailed enough to provide a good Atmos experience. I also suspect thin sounding special effects will stand out a lot more than not hearing a cricket chirp. Also keep in mind that anything above 80hz starts get in the area where it can be localized. If there is a sound coming out of the Atmos channel that is just above 80hz, you want to hear it overhead and not from your subwoofer.
Very helpful. Out of curiosity which speakers are you using?

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
irishluck73 is offline  
post #2976 of 3029 Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
brianjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Very helpful. Out of curiosity which speakers are you using?
The Micca M-8C. I went back and forth on several options, but ultimately picked these for a few reasons. I knew I wanted an 8' speaker. Everything I was considering had the same or a slightly larger cutout, so I knew I could upgrade if necessary. The Miccas had so many good reviews and I could get free return shipping, so I thought it was worth trying them. I was expecting these to be over-hyped, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. If these were for music, I would have returned them. Then again, I probably would't have bought them in the first place. Not that their bad, but they are really more suited for background party music where people are semi-listening while they are also engaged in conversation. For Atmos speakers, they're pretty good. Maybe it's an ignorance is bliss situation, but everything I've played sounds natural. They don't draw attention to themselves, but if I listen for the overhead effects, they sound as I would expect. And at $160, I really won't be too bothered if some day I hear something better and decide to upgrade. I'm glad I gave them a shot, because normally I would have written these off as too good to be true.
brianjb is offline  
post #2977 of 3029 Old 07-04-2019, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Balbolito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Not a lot of people mention them but i love my Atlantic IC-6 OBA's. They are made for object based audio so that gets the guessing work out of the way. also they come with a white grill that is easily painted (i spray painted mine matte black and it took 2 mins).


Sound&Vision wrote about them here.

Honestly i highly recommend them and they sound really good with no hot spotting. They also just weight like 3 Lbs.

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
Balbolito is online now  
post #2978 of 3029 Old 07-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Member
 
LawCPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

Hey guys, wanted to chime in. My dad just put in Polk Audio RC80i. We aren’t familiar with their sound since we’ve never had Polk. He has all vintage KEF and I have Klipsch. The 8in Polk in ceiling sounded great and crystal clear and good bass when we tried them full range. They will be crossed over and used for Atmos so they will only sound clearer. We were worried that getting all 4 for under $300 would mean it isn’t the highest end but they sound great and the tweeter sound great. Lots of details from guitar strings etc. Also, they’re sensitive enough when running 9 channels with a Denon 4300 and driving 6ohm KEFs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hollisesco likes this.

Last edited by LawCPA; 07-04-2019 at 11:07 AM.
LawCPA is offline  
post #2979 of 3029 Old 07-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Not sure I can answer this directly after hearing just one set of speakers, but after reading most of this thread and experiencing Atmos in my room I feel I can offer some helpful insights. When I stick my ear next to the Atmos speakers while playing content from the Atmos demonstration disc, I don't hear a lot of sounds with the type of detail required of center, left or right channel speakers. Most of the content is ambient, so I don't think anyone will suffer from lack of detail from their Atmos speakers. As an example, on some music tracks from the disc, it was mostly the reverb sounds coming out of the Atmos speakers or the white noise from the crowd. On the Star Wars Battlefront track, there is a lot of deep sounds from the fighters passing overhead. In the opening scene of Aquaman there was some thunder. Based on the content I listened to, I opted for 8" speakers to make sure I was getting a good experience with the deeper sound effects. I think that coupled with dispersion is far more important than getting the most detailed speakers you can find. I suspect every speaker discussed in this thread is plenty detailed enough to provide a good Atmos experience. I also suspect thin sounding special effects will stand out a lot more than not hearing a cricket chirp. Also keep in mind that anything above 80hz starts get in the area where it can be localized. If there is a sound coming out of the Atmos channel that is just above 80hz, you want to hear it overhead and not from your subwoofer.
This is an excellent example of why I chose the Micca R-8c over the RSL C34E - way more low-end on the Micca vs slightly better detail on the RSL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is online now  
post #2980 of 3029 Old 07-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
GoZags13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawCPA View Post
Hey guys, wanted to chime in. My dad just put in Polk Audio RC80i. We aren’t familiar with their sound since we’ve never had Polk. He has all vintage KEF and I have Klipsch. The 8in Polk in ceiling sounded great and crystal clear and good bass when we tried them full range. They will be crossed over and used for Atmos so they will only sound clearer. We were worried that getting all 4 for under $300 would mean it isn’t the highest end but they sound great and the tweeter sound great. Lots of details from guitar strings etc.
I just installed these for a friend as rear surrounds, and they do seem to work well. In his situation it had to be ceiling speakers for <$150 (WAF). I am pleased with the sound and the look. While I prefer speakers that use magnetic grills to hide more (like RSL), these blended in with his white ceiling enough to not stand out badly. I crossed them over at 80Hz and hooked up my subwoofer to see how they sound when bass is carried by a sub, and it was good (I also think I convinced him that he needs a nice sub to fill out the sound).
LawCPA likes this.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
GoZags13 is online now  
post #2981 of 3029 Old 07-09-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sevenfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,523
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 382
When I first began to investigate in ceiling speakers for my home theater, there wasn't that much to choose from. Now....SO MANY CHOICES! It's almost overwhelming. The good news is that there are a lot in very inexpensive price points. But my ears probably won't want to do something that just lights up the ceiling for an occasional explosion so quality still matters. And since I'm still not running with a sub (a future upgrade after an old one quit), I'd like the in-ceiling choice to at least have decent range but I'm not getting my hopes entirely up. I'm using two SVS Prime Elevations for front heights (which will be joined by the aforementioned in-ceilings) and while they are rated fairly low, Audyssey on my Marantz 7703 is choosing to cross them over at 120 hz.

So my regular speakers are AV123 Rockets from 15+ years ago and still working fine (seven speaker bed). The SVS speakers are up now above the fronts. I'm still looking at one of my original targets, the RSL C34E since the 15 degree angle works in my situation (13 ft ceiling, 30.5 inches forward of MLP estimated for installation). But I am looking for competitors and I see many available targets at or less than the price of the RSLs. Some of the Monoprice speakers are almost too good to pass up but I wonder how they will sound (especially given some of the all-over-the-place reviews).

I'm thinking I might have to do a top 3, order all of them and do a critical listening (front position, not ceiling) and then pick one to install for good. Yes, I realize that without a speaker box it's not going to sound like a regular speaker on the low end.
Sevenfeet is offline  
post #2982 of 3029 Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
zryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St Paul MN
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have any input on how Monoprice ceiling speakers work in Atmos service?
Also, my HT hasn't been finished yet, and I currently have wood rafters with the wooden subfloor above. Would I be best served by building MDF boxes between the rafters for the ceiling speakers to be mounted into, or using something like the plastic or metal can's sold by monoprice for their speakers?

The rest of the speakers in the system are Infinity Beta series, powered by a new Pioneer VSX-LX503 and an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 1.

Thanks!

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
zryder is offline  
post #2983 of 3029 Old 07-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
notfastenough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
I tried the Amber's from Monoprice..... did not like so I returned them. Decided to just go with what I know and that matches the rest of my system. The Klipsch CDT 5800's. Started install last night. I have installed 10 or so in wall speakers and honestly the cutting of of the ceiling was WAY MORE annoying and dusty than the walls. Every single bit of drywall dust just drops right onto and into every part of your body! I have cut 2 holes so far and unfortunately I ran into a 1x2 bridge they used to add mounting area for hanging the drywall in both holes. I ended up having to use a jigsaw for about 25% of each hole because the drywall saw doesn't like cutting through wood lol. Because they only used 1x2 and not 2x4 lumber the mounting tabs were still able to clamp down on them.

I only did the rear speakers because I need to slide the seating out of the way. I ran the wires... which again was much more annoying than I anticipated due to cross bridging and blocking. I coiled the speaker wire for the front speakers (my AVR is in the rear of my room) in the holes and threw the speakers up just to see how they looked. Honestly they do blend right in despite being about 10 inches across. I need to pull them out in order to continue with the next set so I'll try to grab a couple pictures of the issues I ran into. Maybe it will help others that decide to hack into their ceilings lol.

I have yet to listen to them cause I have a pretty good idea what Klipsch sound like as I have owned probably 30 different models over the years. The ability to aim the tweeter is nice though.
Paid $194 each.
For the dust, I had bought the "fine dust" filter for my shop-vac and had my brother hold the hose close to the saw while making the cuts. Hardly any dust made it to the floor by doing this. Heck, if anything, pulling the cutout down made more of a mess than anything but wasn't too bad by holding it flat when pulling it down.
notfastenough is online now  
post #2984 of 3029 Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
For the dust, I had bought the "fine dust" filter for my shop-vac and had my brother hold the hose close to the saw while making the cuts. Hardly any dust made it to the floor by doing this. Heck, if anything, pulling the cutout down made more of a mess than anything but wasn't too bad by holding it flat when pulling it down.
I did exactly that when i cut the in wall speakers.... but without an extra set of hands i wasnt able to do it on the ceiling unfortunately.
notfastenough likes this.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
Liquid$team is offline  
post #2985 of 3029 Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Zarkoff500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder View Post
Does anyone have any input on how Monoprice ceiling speakers work in Atmos service?
I have been using these for my .4 overheads in my garage https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=304&cp_id=10837&cs_id=3040411&p_ id=4104&seq=1&format=2

I have also used the Alpha's;. They have been fine in my opinion, they get loud and have decent detail.

Last edited by Zarkoff500; 07-15-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Zarkoff500 is online now  
post #2986 of 3029 Old 07-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Here is a brief hands-on comparison between two popular in-ceiling atmos speaker price points: the $60 Micca R-8c vs the $125 RSL C34e.

I had these two speakers on hand for a week or so listening to them and wanted to give my feedback on them as it seems no one really does any real comparisons of in-ceiling speakers.


First off here is my setup and the method in which I compared the two speakers:

AVR: Onkyo RZ830

Sources: htpc, laptop, Android phone. Direct high-quality movie/music tracks were played.


Notes:

The 2 speakers were connected as L/R channels on the AVR and all other speakers/sub were disconnected. Connected as 6ohm speakers (the RZ830 doesn’t have an 8ohm option).

12ga oxygen free speaker wire used (no banana plugs/other were used).

The speakers mounted and enclosed inside equally sized boxes.

Distances were measured to replicate approximate MLP dispersion angles for atmos installation.
I tested with the AVR set in pure mode which means no room correction, no sound enhancements, no eq, no other sound manipulation/etc.

Tested both speakers with crossovers at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120.

The Micca has selectable settings for the crossover for both the bass and treble of +/- 3db. I left the settings at 0 for each for the comparisons mentioned below (I of course did do some comparisons using the selectable crossover setups myself, but for the sake of this simple comparison I didn’t make use of it in my review below).

Room: 14ft x 25ft with 8ft ceilings, full carpet, large sectional, 12 acoustic panels lining the walls/ceiling.


After getting both speakers set up in boxes and ready to compare it was apparent that the Micca plays much louder than the RSL, so this made my testing a bit cumbersome because now I had to dial in the spl difference between them each time. The Micca sensitivity is listed at a 90db and the RSL is 88db.

Once everything was dialed in equally, I played the RSL speaker by its self through a short audio track I had on hand; it sounded clean and detailed. Next, I played just the Micca through the same audio track, and my very first thought was “wow, that’s much more dynamic/full sounding”. The Micca definitely makes use of the 8” driver for a bit of low-end presence that the RSL lacked. Now, I know a lot of you will be making the comment at this point that the low-end presence or lack there-of doesn’t really matter if it’s going to be used for atmos, but I don’t completely agree as I have heard plenty of atmos height channel content that makes use of stuff below 80hz, but you can decide for yourself of course.

Playing through some movie scenes, the Micca filled the room with sound much better as it again added the low-end presence lacking in the RSL. The RSL never sounded “bad” or “lacking” on its own, but when it was contrasted side by side with the Micca its shortcomings became apparent.

Dispersion: this is where I was confident that the RSL would dominate. I even went into the testing feeling like I would find the RSL the winner solely due to its better design for an Atmos setup…I was wrong. I angled both tweeters towards the mlp, measured off the correct angles as if they were mounted in-ceiling and at my mlp, I found no night and day difference between the two in dispersion or one having a clear advantage for hitting the sweet spot(s) with sound. Hmm. I chalk this up to the decent adjustable tweeter on the Micca I suppose…


Quick conclusion: given how equal these two speakers ended up being on the angle/dispersion issue and the significant low-end advantage of the Micca this comparison ended up being an easy win imo for the Micca. Now, I don’t hold the Micca in high regard as some sort of hidden gem of quality in the mass marketplace of in-ceiling speakers, but for the purpose of a home theater Atmos speaker it gets the job done very very well at a great price. I would wager than “most” in-ceiling speakers making use of an 8” driver and directional tweeter will make a great atmos speaker these days.

I hope this has been helpful/informative for those of you shopping for atmos speakers.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_213404.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	2590100   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190622_124215.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	2590102  

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is online now  
post #2987 of 3029 Old 07-12-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Here is a brief hands-on comparison between two popular in-ceiling atmos speaker price points: the $60 Micca R-8c vs the $125 RSL C34e.



I had these two speakers on hand for a week or so listening to them and wanted to give my feedback on them as it seems no one really does any real comparisons of in-ceiling speakers.





First off here is my setup and the method in which I compared the two speakers:



AVR: Onkyo RZ830



Sources: htpc, laptop, Android phone. Direct high-quality movie/music tracks were played.





Notes:



The 2 speakers were connected as L/R channels on the AVR and all other speakers/sub were disconnected. Connected as 6ohm speakers (the RZ830 doesn’t have an 8ohm option).



12ga oxygen free speaker wire used (no banana plugs/other were used).



The speakers mounted and enclosed inside equally sized boxes.



Distances were measured to replicate approximate MLP dispersion angles for atmos installation.

I tested with the AVR set in pure mode which means no room correction, no sound enhancements, no eq, no other sound manipulation/etc.



Tested both speakers with crossovers at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120.



The Micca has selectable settings for the crossover for both the bass and treble of +/- 3db. I left the settings at 0 for each for the comparisons mentioned below (I of course did do some comparisons using the selectable crossover setups myself, but for the sake of this simple comparison I didn’t make use of it in my review below).



Room: 14ft x 25ft with 8ft ceilings, full carpet, large sectional, 12 acoustic panels lining the walls/ceiling.





After getting both speakers set up in boxes and ready to compare it was apparent that the Micca plays much louder than the RSL, so this made my testing a bit cumbersome because now I had to dial in the spl difference between them each time. The Micca sensitivity is listed at a 90db and the RSL is 88db.



Once everything was dialed in equally, I played the RSL speaker by its self through a short audio track I had on hand; it sounded clean and detailed. Next, I played just the Micca through the same audio track, and my very first thought was “wow, that’s much more dynamic/full sounding”. The Micca definitely makes use of the 8” driver for a bit of low-end presence that the RSL lacked. Now, I know a lot of you will be making the comment at this point that the low-end presence or lack there-of doesn’t really matter if it’s going to be used for atmos, but I don’t completely agree as I have heard plenty of atmos height channel content that makes use of stuff below 80hz, but you can decide for yourself of course.



Playing through some movie scenes, the Micca filled the room with sound much better as it again added the low-end presence lacking in the RSL. The RSL never sounded “bad” or “lacking” on its own, but when it was contrasted side by side with the Micca its shortcomings became apparent.



Dispersion: this is where I was confident that the RSL would dominate. I even went into the testing feeling like I would find the RSL the winner solely due to its better design for an Atmos setup…I was wrong. I angled both tweeters towards the mlp, measured off the correct angles as if they were mounted in-ceiling and at my mlp, I found no night and day difference between the two in dispersion or one having a clear advantage for hitting the sweet spot(s) with sound. Hmm. I chalk this up to the decent adjustable tweeter on the Micca I suppose…





Quick conclusion: given how equal these two speakers ended up being on the angle/dispersion issue and the significant low-end advantage of the Micca this comparison ended up being an easy win imo for the Micca. Now, I don’t hold the Micca in high regard as some sort of hidden gem of quality in the mass marketplace of in-ceiling speakers, but for the purpose of a home theater Atmos speaker it gets the job done very very well at a great price. I would wager than “most” in-ceiling speakers making use of an 8” driver and directional tweeter will make a great atmos speaker these days.



I hope this has been helpful/informative for those of you shopping for atmos speakers.







Great review! Although I went with much more costly 8” JBL’s (which I must now sell due to a downsize), I entirely agree with your premise that 8” woofers in Atmos speakers can make a meaningful difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G-Rex and DavidinGA like this.
healthnut is offline  
post #2988 of 3029 Old 08-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I am getting my home theatre room set up and I have a few ceiling speakers that I am deciding between.

-Polk MC80 - 4 for $300
-Polk MC60 - 4 for $257
-Polk RC60 - 4 for $285
-Polk RC80 - 4 for $474
-Micca M-6c- 4 for $194
-Micca M-8c- 4 for $365

Seen a lot of debates between 6.5 vs 8 inch speakers but there doesn't seem to be a consensus. So which out of these would you guys say is the best choice? The Polk MC80 seems like pretty good value compared to the rest, if I were to go with 8 inch. Or I could save some money and go with the Micca M-6c if 6.5 inch is fine.


I have a svs pb1000 sub, denon 4500 receiver, will probably get the kef bookshelf speakers, and will be adding 2 rear surrounds later on. Use the room for a split of movies/shows/music/sports/gaming.
rio72 is offline  
post #2989 of 3029 Old 08-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Member
 
LawCPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rio72 View Post
So I am getting my home theatre room set up and I have a few ceiling speakers that I am deciding between.

-Polk MC80 - 4 for $300
-Polk MC60 - 4 for $257
-Polk RC60 - 4 for $285
-Polk RC80 - 4 for $474
-Micca M-6c- 4 for $194
-Micca M-8c- 4 for $365

Seen a lot of debates between 6.5 vs 8 inch speakers but there doesn't seem to be a consensus. So which out of these would you guys say is the best choice? The Polk MC80 seems like pretty good value compared to the rest, if I were to go with 8 inch.

I agree. Plus an 8in woofer distorts less than an 8in!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon AVR-X4200W (Auro-3D upgrade)
Parasound HCA-1206
Denon DCM-560
Sony UBP-X800
Sony PS4
Apple TV 4K
Samsung UN50KU6300FXZA

2 x Klipsch RP-280F
1 x Klipsch RP-450C
2 x Klipsch RP-250S
4 x Klipsch RP-500SA
4 x Klipsch R-115SW
LawCPA is offline  
post #2990 of 3029 Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rio72 View Post
So I am getting my home theatre room set up and I have a few ceiling speakers that I am deciding between.

-Polk MC80 - 4 for $300
-Polk MC60 - 4 for $257
-Polk RC60 - 4 for $285
-Polk RC80 - 4 for $474
-Micca M-6c- 4 for $194
-Micca M-8c- 4 for $365

Seen a lot of debates between 6.5 vs 8 inch speakers but there doesn't seem to be a consensus. So which out of these would you guys say is the best choice? The Polk MC80 seems like pretty good value compared to the rest, if I were to go with 8 inch. Or I could save some money and go with the Micca M-6c if 6.5 inch is fine.

I have a svs pb1000 sub, denon 4500 receiver, will probably get the kef bookshelf speakers, and will be adding 2 rear surrounds later on. Use the room for a split of movies/shows/music/sports/gaming.
Sure, you're likely to encounter some philosophical differences on this. If you have a larger space, higher ceilings, need higher power handling spec. that might be more aligned with the larger speaker, want a little more low-end reinforcement, yeah, you can certainly consider the larger speaker. Of course, it depends on the speaker design, but you might get better mid-range performance out of the smaller speaker. With adequate subwooferage, you'd likley be fine with the smaller ones in a typical space. My space is only 13' x 16', and I did select my particular 8" speaker (for a lot of reasons), though I'd argue that the 6.5" in the same line would have been just fine in my space as well.

As for which line of speaker, I'd look to select the one that more closely matched your other speakers in performance, and particularly the tweeter design, if all other features work for you otherwise, though that is a guideline more than an absolute.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #2991 of 3029 Old 08-26-2019, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
mach250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So I'm looking at installing 4 Klipsch PRO-160RPC's in the future and am looking for the best way to "seal" them in my attic. I'm thinking the best way to do this is build speaker boxes, seal the box to the ceiling drywall and crazy and attach them to beams instead of screwing them to the drywall. Does this sound like a good plan or is there a simpler process with my idea being over-engineered?

Last edited by mach250; 08-26-2019 at 07:56 AM.
mach250 is offline  
post #2992 of 3029 Old 08-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone using Origin Acoustics Director series speakers for Atmos duty? 8- or 10-inch woofer with midrange and tweeter each attached concentrically on a mount that allows 15 deg of independant aiming.

https://originacoustics.com/collecti...or-collection/

On paper it looks like a nice package. Aimable, strong frequency response, and a pretty compact ceiling cutout. Depending on the model, I get the impression they're still less expensive than, say, the Revel C763L or Monitor CP-CT380IDC. Haven't heard them, but hopefully someone in this community has.
2FlyingYorkies is offline  
post #2993 of 3029 Old 08-26-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,323
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Origin is a high profit line with a slick install ring.

My “guess” is the Revel and MA would sound better.

Another option is the GoldenEar Invisa HTR7000

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is online now  
post #2994 of 3029 Old 08-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Sure, you're likely to encounter some philosophical differences on this. If you have a larger space, higher ceilings, need higher power handling spec. that might be more aligned with the larger speaker, want a little more low-end reinforcement, yeah, you can certainly consider the larger speaker. Of course, it depends on the speaker design, but you might get better mid-range performance out of the smaller speaker. With adequate subwooferage, you'd likley be fine with the smaller ones in a typical space. My space is only 13' x 16', and I did select my particular 8" speaker (for a lot of reasons), though I'd argue that the 6.5" in the same line would have been just fine in my space as well.

As for which line of speaker, I'd look to select the one that more closely matched your other speakers in performance, and particularly the tweeter design, if all other features work for you otherwise, though that is a guideline more than an absolute.
My space is a bit longer at 32' x 14', but the back third of the room is a bar area so no one will be watching from there. Ceilings are 10'. Would you get 6.5" or 8.5" if you were me? I have a svs pb1000 subwoofer and I will be getting another one some time in the future so I think I'll be covered on the low end. There's not really a huge difference in prices between 6.5 and 8, but if 8 doesn't have a lot of benefits for me then I'd rather save even a little bit of cash and get 6.5. Unless the 8" would be an upgrade.
rio72 is offline  
post #2995 of 3029 Old 08-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Is anyone utilizing the KEF Ci160.2CR for Atmos duties?

A smaller 6.5" speaker that looks to be living room aesthetics friendly and claims to go down to 52Hz with 89dB sensitivity.

I use the KEF CI200QR and love them for atmos and multi channel use.
irishluck73 and KenM10759 like this.
Aaron Springer is offline  
post #2996 of 3029 Old 08-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Origin is a high profit line with a slick install ring.

My “guess” is the Revel and MA would sound better.

Another option is the GoldenEar Invisa HTR7000
By "high profit" I take it you mean "low value without a significant discount"? It's certainly not a brand that's easy to find in the real world - even their website doesn't list dealers. The few reviews I've found seem quite positive, but it's hard to take a flyer on something with a high price, little press, and no obvious ways to get an audition. Still, there's something that satisfies that primal urge for overkill when you can get a 10" woofer in a ceiling speaker. And in my larger room, the ability to move some air really does have its place. That's actually my prime detractor for the otherwise much-applauded Revel C763L: there just isn't much driver area.
2FlyingYorkies is offline  
post #2997 of 3029 Old 08-28-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rio72 View Post
My space is a bit longer at 32' x 14', but the back third of the room is a bar area so no one will be watching from there. Ceilings are 10'. Would you get 6.5" or 8.5" if you were me? I have a svs pb1000 subwoofer and I will be getting another one some time in the future so I think I'll be covered on the low end. There's not really a huge difference in prices between 6.5 and 8, but if 8 doesn't have a lot of benefits for me then I'd rather save even a little bit of cash and get 6.5. Unless the 8" would be an upgrade.
Honestly, I'd call the manufacturer tech. support and run your scenario by them, and see what they recommend. Short of that, I'd be inclined to go with the larger speaker given the higher ceilings, and it's not often (if ever) that I read complaints of 8" users thinking they installed too large of a speaker. That Micca is your in-the-middle of the price range, and there are quite a few people here that are happy with that speaker.

I might suggest thinking about larger subs as well...that's a large space to fill!
rio72 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #2998 of 3029 Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Member
 
burton14e7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Great review! Although I went with much more costly 8” JBL’s (which I must now sell due to a downsize), I entirely agree with your premise that 8” woofers in Atmos speakers can make a meaningful difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which 8" JBLs were you using? I was thinking about the control 328s but I can't fit the backboxes.
burton14e7 is offline  
post #2999 of 3029 Old 08-28-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton14e7 View Post
Which 8" JBLs were you using? I was thinking about the control 328s but I can't fit the backboxes.


Yes, I had the control 328’s. The back boxes are huge, as you’ve pointed out. Had to be creative to get them to fit (cut around joists, etc).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #3000 of 3029 Old 08-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Member
 
burton14e7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Yes, I had the control 328’s. The back boxes are huge, as you’ve pointed out. Had to be creative to get them to fit (cut around joists, etc).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang, I was hoping there was another JBL 8" that I hadn't found that might work.
burton14e7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos , ceiling speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off