Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos? - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 856Likes

post #1141 of 2987 Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
For those of you who are interested, I inquired about the reference series Micca 8's. They are expected sometime in March at a price of $60. I myself am now debating on waiting or simply installing the $40 version. This is my time of year to do little jobs like this. Maybe I'll run the wires, cut the holes and delay my decision a little longer. It would be nice to know what discernable difference there would be.

Cut the holes a bit smaller and run the wires. That way you are committed to object sound
yanks1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 2987 Old 02-17-2016, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I might be going with the tannoy cvs6. Listening room is 16x16 with 8ft ceiling but opens up on one side to the kitchen and the other to another living room. Now where do i find the tannoys? And any better suggestions? My fronts are boston a360's boston a225c, and will be getting the boston a25 for surrounds. Going for 5.1.4 configuration. All the power will be coming from the pioneer elite sc97.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1143 of 2987 Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamez View Post
I might be going with the tannoy cvs6. Listening room is 16x16 with 8ft ceiling but opens up on one side to the kitchen and the other to another living room. Now where do i find the tannoys? And any better suggestions? My fronts are boston a360's boston a225c, and will be getting the boston a25 for surrounds. Going for 5.1.4 configuration. All the power will be coming from the pioneer elite sc97.

I just installed the Tannoy DC 603's in my ceiling. Wow, you won't be disappointed. The sound is excellant and the dispersion is great. I had to go wide because of some ventilation issues but the Tannoy's handled with no problem. You can find them online or I have a dealer in Denver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 2987 Old 02-17-2016, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
I just installed the Tannoy DC 603's in my ceiling. Wow, you won't be disappointed. The sound is excellant and the dispersion is great. I had to go wide because of some ventilation issues but the Tannoy's handled with no problem. You can find them online or I have a dealer in Denver.

Awesome. Im in the palm springs California area. I see some deals on ebay but may buy new. Now gotta find an authorized reseller.

Last edited by alamez; 02-17-2016 at 08:35 PM.
post #1145 of 2987 Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I think general Atmos rule for 4 overheads is 2-3 ft in front & off to the sides of MLP and 2-3 ft behind & off to the side

That is NOT the general rule... A 6' spread will give you very little in terms of dimension....

The general rule is measure from your ear to the ceiling height. Whatever that measurement is will be your measurement from center of MLP forward and to the rear.
bombertodd likes this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #1146 of 2987 Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
I'm just north of Denver, what is the cost?

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm 7.1.4, VTF-3 MK5 HP, 120" DIY Spandex Screen, Sony 45ES
post #1147 of 2987 Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I hear you; but many of us do not have 5-6 ft of room behind the MLP. Our couch is 3 feet from rear wall so max the rear overheads can be is 2.5 ft behind us. In perfect world perhaps 3-4 ft may be better

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #1148 of 2987 Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
I'm just north of Denver, what is the cost?
They are not cheap I paid 381 per speaker. But they really sound amazing.
post #1149 of 2987 Old 02-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I wanted to add that I'm still really enjoying my RSL 34CE in-ceilings. When I initially installed them I thought they sounded a tad "small" compared to my bed speakers, and maybe rightfully so considering the obvious differences. However, this past week I played several of the Atmos demo tracks and wow, the ceiling speakers really came to life. I don't remember the specific track but there's a flower scene and the overhead effects are so pronounced, and so immersive that it gave me goose bumps. It feels like you're right there in the middle of the field. It's a pretty surreal experience.

I've been at this hobby for while now trying to perfect my modest set up. For the first time my daughter, who is in high school and therefore incapable of being excited about anything , said she was really impressed with my new Atmos set up. To put that into perspective, on a scale of not giving a crap about home theater...there are wives who don't care and then there's my daughter further down that spectrum. So it means a lot coming from her.
mtmason likes this.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4
Denon x6200
Ascend Acoustics Towers and Horizon Center (NrT)
RSL 34CE in-ceilings (4)
Rythmik E15HP
post #1150 of 2987 Old 02-20-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I just ordered my RSL 34E for my setup. Hopefully I like them, because they are going to open a big hole at 10 inches. I read they are a warm speaker, so if that's right they should pair well with my Wharfdale Jade's.
post #1151 of 2987 Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post
I wanted to add that I'm still really enjoying my RSL 34CE in-ceilings. When I initially installed them I thought they sounded a tad "small" compared to my bed speakers, and maybe rightfully so considering the obvious differences. However, this past week I played several of the Atmos demo tracks and wow, the ceiling speakers really came to life. I don't remember the specific track but there's a flower scene and the overhead effects are so pronounced, and so immersive that it gave me goose bumps. It feels like you're right there in the middle of the field. It's a pretty surreal experience.

I've been at this hobby for while now trying to perfect my modest set up. For the first time my daughter, who is in high school and therefore incapable of being excited about anything , said she was really impressed with my new Atmos set up. To put that into perspective, on a scale of not giving a crap about home theater...there are wives who don't care and then there's my daughter further down that spectrum. So it means a lot coming from her.

Are you sure she's feeling OK? Is she expecting something from you? I don't have teenagers, but I sure do remember the way I was. The third option is that your system is amazing.
post #1152 of 2987 Old 02-21-2016, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
I just ordered my RSL 34E for my setup. Hopefully I like them, because they are going to open a big hole at 10 inches. I read they are a warm speaker, so if that's right they should pair well with my Wharfdale Jade's.

Please post your impressions, and let us know your ceiling height.

post #1153 of 2987 Old 02-21-2016, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post

I've heard from a number of others that it was Atmos that got their family and friend's attention in a positive way. I'm looking forward to a similar reaction when I get my Atmos/DTS:X system in place.

post #1154 of 2987 Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Talking to one person, he suggested using the 7" or 8" coaxial speaker in ceiling saaid this would be best option cause you can angle tweeter to listening area
post #1155 of 2987 Old 02-21-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just placed an order for 4 Sonance VP64Rs. They have 6.5" mid woofers and an aluminum done tweeter. Both are pivoting. I'm not sure 7" or 8" are really necessary unless you don't have a subwoofer or want to play very loudly.
post #1156 of 2987 Old 02-21-2016, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Okay, so good news to me. Spent a few hours in the attic running all my new speaker wire.

I purchased the MICCA m-8c, which I think sound pretty good given the price. The issue I am running into now is that at the ideal 45 degree angle from the mlp is 5'11" given 9'3" ceilings and 40" ear height from floor. However, because of a joist I can only install them at 6'2" or 5'. I keep thinking that 5' might be too close, but the only difference when attempting to have someone hold it up at each position leaves me feeling like one just feels slightly closer.

So my question is how close to you is too close? Is it better to sound overhead, but slightly further out to create more separation? Just not sure what I should be listening for as ideal. Any suggestions?
post #1157 of 2987 Old 02-21-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 801

Atmos claims just get as close to recommended degrees as u can. There is few perfect rooms/set-ups

murphy2112 likes this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s

Last edited by yanks1; 02-21-2016 at 07:09 PM.
post #1158 of 2987 Old 02-21-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

6'2" is awefully close to 5'11". I would do that and not worry about it.
post #1159 of 2987 Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Been thinking with my layout for Atmos I should go with angled speakers in the front and back and regular in the middle My front row will be around 9 feet from the front and the rear Atmos ceiling speakers. My current 7.1 speakers are Kevlar woofers. I have found the Architech speakers which have everything I need, angled and non angled 6.5", Kevlar, and square or circular frameless grills. For my setup I think the square grills will be nice and more discreet. The only negatives I see is the price and the low power handling of 40 watts RMS. The sensitivity rating at 91db may help but not sure. They have a reference line of the same speakers with higher specs but the price point almost triples for those. Are there any other alternatives out there with similar price point and features? Does anyone have any experience with the Architech?

My First Build Ever in progress
post #1160 of 2987 Old 02-22-2016, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeAudio View Post
To the OP: I have used hundreds of in-ceiling speakers from dozens of manufacturers over a 16+ year career. I think the best speakers for ATMOS in-ceiling in your budget of around $600/PAIR are the KEF Ci160QR. These use the Uni-Q driver configuration and will have the largest dispersion for that application and excellent off axis response. It's perfect for distributed audio and ATMOS and much better than the typical island tweeter config of most in-ceilings. Feel free to check out KEF's website for more on Uni-Q and how it works. I think the KEF's make a great option for ATMOS and I can't think of a better one.

The hype around the MICCA speakers is cracking me up. Those are nothing more than cheap Chinese contractor grade in-ceiling speakers. Period. They don't even have a real crossover and use a cheap silk dome tweeter, cheap mica woofer, and small magnet - just like every other "contractor" entry level cheap in-ceiling on the market. It's like reading a bunch of proclaimed foodies romance over how good some generic kind of Ramen noodle is. Uh, guys, at the end of the day it's still a crappy, every day Ramen noodle. And that MICCA speaker, creatively (sarcasm) named after the mica woofer it uses, is nothing but an off the shelf old contractor speaker design. Hell, it's still using the old early 2000s flange and grille look while the rest of the modern world has moved on to magnetic thin bezels. If something cheap that makes loud noises when you plug it in is what you're after it fits the bill. The OP asked for a quality product at $600 a pair(ish) and to recommend those MICCA speakers is way out of line and off point.
So how much of a difference is there between the Kef and the Speakercraft in-ceiling?
post #1161 of 2987 Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
I just placed an order for 4 Sonance VP64Rs. They have 6.5" mid woofers and an aluminum done tweeter. Both are pivoting. I'm not sure 7" or 8" are really necessary unless you don't have a subwoofer or want to play very loudly.

Frequency response down to 80 Hz is required...................most smaller drivers ie. 6'' or less can't get that low. If you want a jagged edge concerning FR at 80 Hz, go ahead and purchase what you want. If you're looking for smooth FR from whole system, having 8" drivers have inherent value and are certainly a must IMHO.

No one is mentioning 3D audio is at it's infant stage..................I suspect in the very near future, heights will be needed with same SPL capacity as your 7 speaker or more bed.
rontalley and bombertodd like this.
post #1162 of 2987 Old 02-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaspen80 View Post
Okay, so good news to me. Spent a few hours in the attic running all my new speaker wire.

I purchased the MICCA m-8c, which I think sound pretty good given the price. The issue I am running into now is that at the ideal 45 degree angle from the mlp is 5'11" given 9'3" ceilings and 40" ear height from floor. However, because of a joist I can only install them at 6'2" or 5'. I keep thinking that 5' might be too close, but the only difference when attempting to have someone hold it up at each position leaves me feeling like one just feels slightly closer.

So my question is how close to you is too close? Is it better to sound overhead, but slightly further out to create more separation? Just not sure what I should be listening for as ideal. Any suggestions?
5 feet would be 40 degrees
6 feet 2 inches would be 46 degrees

If you want to play with the numbers:
arctan (horizontal ceiling distance/ear to ceiling distance) = angle

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
New Theater Under Construction
post #1163 of 2987 Old 02-22-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Frequency response down to 80 Hz is required...................most smaller drivers ie. 6'' or less can't get that low. If you want a jagged edge concerning FR at 80 Hz, go ahead and purchase what you want. If you're looking for smooth FR from whole system, having 8" drivers have inherent value and are certainly a must IMHO.

No one is mentioning 3D audio is at it's infant stage..................I suspect in the very near future, heights will be needed with same SPL capacity as your 7 speaker or more bed.

I'm not sure I agree. The frequency response of the Sonance I purchased says they go down to 46Hz. Do I believe that? No. They've been reviewed to have decent bass. Bass response is the combination of driver size and cabinet size. Should they be able to hit 80 or 100? I don't see why not.

Last edited by murphy2112; 02-22-2016 at 05:34 PM.
post #1164 of 2987 Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. The frequency response of the Sonance I purchased says they go down to 46Hz. Do I believe that? No. They've been reviewed to have decent bass. Bass response is the combination of driver size and cabinet size. Should they be able to hit 80 or 100? I don't see why not.
I've never owned Sonance, but the two in ceiling speakers I've had said they could go below 80hz but neither could cut it under 150hz. I hope yours can.

I prefer the lower crossover point because it gives better options integrating the speakers with subs when dealing with boundary interference. If you're forced to cross at 80hz or above there might be an issue if your subs have nulls or peaks at those frequencies. Having options is good.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
New Theater Under Construction
post #1165 of 2987 Old 02-23-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
6'2" is awefully close to 5'11". I would do that and not worry about it.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Just didnt know if anyone had similar experience. I really wish I knew what to listen for... hehe. Either way I think I will be happy. The girlfriend said 5ft was too loud over her head, so she said the 6ft2in mark too since it was ever so slightly further away sounding. /shrug
post #1166 of 2987 Old 02-23-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So how much of a difference is there between the Kef and the Speakercraft in-ceiling?
I would take Prestigeaudio's advice by a grain of salt. He concluded with extreme prejudice without any testing, listening impressions and comparisons that the Micca 8 are...

Quote:
They don't even have a real crossover and use a cheap silk dome tweeter, cheap mica woofer, and small magnet - just like every other "contractor" entry level cheap in-ceiling on the market.
I asked him if he's ever heard them and he avoids the question. I even gave him a link to the speaker which clearly shows a 6th order crossover network. There are capacitors and resistors. In his mind, spending hundreds more is the way to go. That may be true to a certain extent. But, how much more are you getting? 50%? 70%?...20% He has no idea because he hasn't compared them to anything else. Now, if he tested the Micca to these other offerings with honest, unbiased testing, then I can take him a little seriously. But at this point, he's a joke.
Livin and Airborneguy like this.

Panasonic AE-8000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 (rears), Micca M-8C x 4, Volt 6 x 2 (SR), SI DS4-18 in 12cuft X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, OPPO 103D, Emotiva XPA-3,

Last edited by vitod; 02-23-2016 at 06:25 AM.
post #1167 of 2987 Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
I would take Prestigeaudio's advice by a grain of salt. He concluded with extreme prejudice without any testing, listening impressions and comparisons that the Micca 8 are...

I asked him if he's ever heard them and he avoids the question. I even gave him a link to the speaker which clearly shows a 6th order crossover network. There are capacitors and resistors. In his mind, spending hundreds more is the way to go. That may be true to a certain extent. But, how much more are you getting? 50%? 70%?...20% He has no idea because he hasn't compared them to anything else. Now, if he tested the Micca to these other offerings with honest, unbiased testing, then I can take him a little seriously. But at this point, he's a joke.
It's not the price that I'm concerned about really. I'm ok with spending 300 a speaker. I just want a really good speaker for my system upgrade. I have drop in ceilings down in my room so I can change if I have too. But like anyone else I'd prefer not too. One and done type deal.
post #1168 of 2987 Old 02-23-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
It's not the price that I'm concerned about really. I'm ok with spending 300 a speaker. I just want a really good speaker for my system upgrade. I have drop in ceilings down in my room so I can change if I have too. But like anyone else I'd prefer not too. One and done type deal.
Can you provide more information on your "drop in ceiling"? If the ceiling tiles are "acoustical" tiles, or the thin pressed fiber tiles, you don't want to use an infinite baffle speaker as those types of tiles don't make for a good baffle. You'll want an enclosed speaker.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #1169 of 2987 Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Ok, I have a drop ceiling too and I'm going to give you an honest opinion. I have not tested or heard any other in ceiling speaker other than the Micca 8. If you check my gear list, my mains and surrounds are Paradigm. I wanted to get Paradigm in ceilings. (If Paradigm had a Studio v3 in ceiling, I would've jumped on them) So, I compared specs with many other speakers including the Micca. Many speakers spec almost the same. I'm sure they all have their own sound characteristics, but I needed a speaker for Atmos and Atmos is an effects format. I did my research and got the Miccas. Installed them, calibrated with Audyssey XT32 and played Mad Max.

Holy crapola. I was in the 'bubble' effect. Absolutely beautiful. I concluded I made the right choice and I learned that I can get a very good speaker without spending much. Now, I've seen Pyle and those have no crossover. In that case, Prestigeaudio is correct. But his critique on the Micca is dead wrong.

My suggestion is, don't rule out Micca. The other speakers you mentioned, I'm sure they'll sound great too. Do tons of research and ratings. One more thing and it's very important. The other speakers weigh more and you have to be careful that they don't come crashing down. You have to support them somehow. What I did was double the tile, but I have 2X2s. Very strong.
gene4ht, yanks1 and Airborneguy like this.

Panasonic AE-8000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 (rears), Micca M-8C x 4, Volt 6 x 2 (SR), SI DS4-18 in 12cuft X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, OPPO 103D, Emotiva XPA-3,
post #1170 of 2987 Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
Ok, I have a drop ceiling too and I'm going to give you an honest opinion. I have not tested or heard any other in ceiling speaker other than the Micca 8. If you check my gear list, my mains and surrounds are Paradigm. I wanted to get Paradigm in ceilings. (If Paradigm had a Studio v3 in ceiling, I would've jumped on them) So, I compared specs with many other speakers including the Micca. Many speakers spec almost the same. I'm sure they all have their own sound characteristics, but I needed a speaker for Atmos and Atmos is an effects format. I did my research and got the Miccas. Installed them, calibrated with Audyssey XT32 and played Mad Max.

Holy crapola. I was in the 'bubble' effect. Absolutely beautiful. I concluded I made the right choice and I learned that I can get a very good speaker without spending much. Now, I've seen Pyle and those have no crossover. In that case, Prestigeaudio is correct. But his critique on the Micca is dead wrong.

My suggestion is, don't rule out Micca. The other speakers you mentioned, I'm sure they'll sound great too. Do tons of research and ratings. One more thing and it's very important. The other speakers weigh more and you have to be careful that they don't come crashing down. You have to support them somehow. What I did was double the tile, but I have 2X2s. Very strong.
@vitod : might I ask how far in front and behind the mlp you placed your miccas? And your ceiling height?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos , ceiling speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page