Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos? - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 856Likes

post #1201 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[QUOTE=PrestigeAudio;41862257][quote=Airborneguy;41855417]

You are talking about this model? http://www.speakercraft.com/products...category_id=91

& this model: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/di-8r

I would rank those two vs. the KEF 8" models around that money (for ATMOS purposes) in this order (MSRP for reference): KEF Ci200RR-THX ($800/EACH) > KEF Ci200QR ($300/EACH) > Speakercraft AIM8 model 282 ($610/EACH) > Deftech DI 8R ($329/EACH).

I found the Speakercraft Profile Aim8 three for 314 dollars online from a place in the northeast called Designer Audio Video.
They also had the Difinitive DI8R for 209.

This is the Speakercraft I was talking about. I talked to tech support at Speakercraft and he told me this was the newer models. The regular Aim models are out of production.

http://www.speakercraft.com/products...category_id=73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeAudio View Post
Hulk smash puny accord. Eat $40 speekar.

Again...prejudice without any listening impressions, measurements, blind tests, etc. You type a massive amount of words, trying hard to justify your position. It's desperate. I'll take anyone's objective, honest opinion, especially those that heard the thing, than someone who never did and come out with the conclusion that it's junk.

Panasonic AE-8000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 (rears), Micca M-8C x 4, Volt 6 x 2 (SR), SI DS4-18 in 12cuft X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, OPPO 103D, Emotiva XPA-3,
post #1203 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 184
[quote=Airborneguy;41863833][QUOTE=PrestigeAudio;41862257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

You are talking about this model? http://www.speakercraft.com/products...category_id=91

& this model: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/di-8r

I would rank those two vs. the KEF 8" models around that money (for ATMOS purposes) in this order (MSRP for reference): KEF Ci200RR-THX ($800/EACH) > KEF Ci200QR ($300/EACH) > Speakercraft AIM8 model 282 ($610/EACH) > Deftech DI 8R ($329/EACH).

I found the Speakercraft Profile Aim8 three for 314 dollars online from a place in the northeast called Designer Audio Video.
They also had the Difinitive DI8R for 209.

This is the Speakercraft I was talking about. I talked to tech support at Speakercraft and he told me this was the newer models. The regular Aim models are out of production.

http://www.speakercraft.com/products...category_id=73

KEF Ci200RR-THX ($800/EACH) > KEF Ci200QR ($300/EACH) > Speakercraft AIM8 TWO ($339/EACH) > Deftech DI 8R ($329/EACH).

The Aim8 TWO is a really nice speaker and, IMO, better than the DefTech at about the same money. With your single area of seating the aimable speaker is going to be fine and there shouldn't be diffraction issues when it comes to throwing the speaker past a first row or to multiple seating position depth wise. They will be a little more placement sensitive compared to the KEF. I still think that the Uni-Q has advantages here, but I'm sure you would be really pleased with the Aim8 TWO as well.
Airborneguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
Again...prejudice without any listening impressions, measurements, blind tests, etc. You type a massive amount of words, trying hard to justify your position. It's desperate. I'll take anyone's objective, honest opinion, especially those that heard the thing, than someone who never did and come out with the conclusion that it's junk.
Troll away if you would like....

But you're an admitted hypocrite as you have NEVER compared them either, as you have stated it's the only pair you have ever used, owned, or tried. To tell me I need to do so without having done so yourself shows perhaps a mental problem. You also have ownership bias issues towards the product - and then cry prejudice on me? Pfffft! Sorry all of my words were hard for you to understand. You can continue to cry about your butt hurting over the fact that you love generic speakers. I have not faulted nor picked on you or anyone else for enjoying them. Feel free to continue to piss and moan about it, though.

^ Kept it short for you so you didn't have to put on your tin foil hat.

Last edited by PrestigeAudio; 02-24-2016 at 08:09 AM.
post #1205 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeAudio View Post
Troll away if you would like....

But you're an admitted hypocrite as you have NEVER compared them either, as you have stated it's the only pair you have ever used, owned, or tried. To tell me I need to do so without having done so yourself shows perhaps a mental problem. You also have ownership bias issues towards the product - and then cry prejudice on me? Pfffft! Sorry all of my words were hard for you to understand. You can continue to cry about your butt hurting over the fact that you love generic speakers. I have not faulted nor picked on you or anyone else for enjoying them. Feel free to continue to piss and moan about it, though.

^ Kept it short for you so you didn't have to put on your tin foil hat.
Nope, you're wrong. YOU came out with this claim.

Quote:
The hype around the MICCA speakers is cracking me up. Those are nothing more than cheap Chinese contractor grade in-ceiling speakers. Period.
The burden of proof is on YOU. You claim that's it's hype. (btw, you're indirectly calling people as they don't know what they're talking about.)

Trolling? Since 2003, everyone who knows me knows I've been a good member and helped countless folks with their HT questions. So, you're desperate attempt in calling me a troll, failed big time.

Quote:
They don't even have a real crossover and use a cheap silk dome tweeter, cheap mica woofer, and small magnet - just like every other "contractor" entry level cheap in-ceiling on the market.
Wrong again. The Micca has a 6db crossover. You didn't even research before making that claim.

Quote:
If something cheap that makes loud noises when you plug it in is what you're after it fits the bill.
Did you listen to it? Of course you didn't, so how do you conclude that it makes "loud noises"?

Quote:
But you're an admitted hypocrite as you have NEVER compared them either,
Talk about reaching. I admitted that I haven't heard anything else and gave my honest opinion on the Micca. I never said that Micca is so awesome that it blows everything else. You made the claim that the Miccas are junk without hearing them. I don't have to prove anything. Again, the burden of proof is on YOU.

Panasonic AE-8000, Carada BW 120", Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 (rears), Micca M-8C x 4, Volt 6 x 2 (SR), SI DS4-18 in 12cuft X 2, Marantz 7702MKII, OPPO 103D, Emotiva XPA-3,
post #1206 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
I think you guys should stop the bickering and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stegen and freestylr like this.
post #1207 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post

I agree. It's derailing this thread. We get it, one guy likes them and one guy doesn't.
post #1208 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
I agree. It's derailing this thread. We get it, one guy likes them and one guy doesn't.
You're half right. One guy likes them and the other hasn't heard them. There's nothing wrong with disagreements, but if he's going to make a claim, prove it and he hasn't.

post #1209 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post
You're half right. One guy likes them and the other hasn't heard them. There's nothing wrong with disagreements, but if he's going to make a claim, prove it and he hasn't.
No, I am right. He doesn't like them. I didn't say he's right or wrong. It's that he doesn't like them. Which is true.

Now, let's move on to something in the middle. I will be installing RSL 34e's this weekend. Anyone like these? Or anyone not like them, before I cut 10 inch holes. Now would be the time to tell me.
post #1210 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
No, I am right. He doesn't like them. I didn't say he's right or wrong. It's that he doesn't like them. Which is true.

Now, let's move on to something in the middle. I will be installing RSL 34e's this weekend. Anyone like these? Or anyone not like them, before I cut 10 inch holes. Now would be the time to tell me.
It's impossible to know if he likes them if he hasn't heard them. No matter what he claims.

As for the RSL's, I'm curious about them. Still worried about the smaller woofer's and lack of any real data. Their directivity chart doesn't really help me determine dispersion, just that it's more disperse in one direction than another. That's to be expected with an angled speaker. Supposedly they are a quality company, but the lack of documentation or reviews is frustrating.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #1211 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Nope, when you don't like something it's because you actually had a hand on it. If you say you don't like chocolate, that's because you tasted it. But, if you never tasted it, how can you say you don't like it?

Most people buy gear on blind buys. Face facts, very little of us actually audition stuff. We usually go by user reviews. I bought a 7702MKII on the blind and I love it. Again, based on favorable reviews. Prestigeaudio never auditioned the Miccas, so how can he not like them or even give them the benefit of the doubt? That's pure wrong.

I look forward to your RSL 34e review.

post #1212 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:

Agreed - both guys make good points and both haven't done a true comparison and test - and apparently nobody has done so on these Micca's. The reviews on Amazon aren't exactly telling either.
freestylr and yanks1 like this.
post #1213 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
Agreed - both guys make good points and both haven't done a true comparison and test - and apparently nobody has done so on these Micca's. The reviews on Amazon aren't exactly telling either.
I didn't make the claim that the Miccas are junk. Rontalley has them and was very impressed with their performance. So yes, I'd take Ron's evaluation ahead of Amazon's and Prestigeaudio...but Ron posted there too.

post #1214 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've read this thread through from front to back, and back to front, and I don't think that I've seen anyone talk about speakers that are sold at Outdoor Speaker Depot: the MK670/MK870 that they are promoting as good for Dolby Atmos. Has there been any talk about these, or did I miss it? I'm going cross eyed at this point.

BTW, the whole Micca debate is starting to remind me of the Republican presidential debates. Just my 2 cents.

And Carbo, I think we're all really anxious to hear a real world review on those RSL 34e's. And you're right, 10" is a big hole to be wrong about, but my gut feeling, with RSL's track record, is that you're going to be happy. Guess you're the guinea pig though.
post #1215 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster View Post
I've read this thread through from front to back, and back to front, and I don't think that I've seen anyone talk about speakers that are sold at Outdoor Speaker Depot: the MK670/MK870 that they are promoting as good for Dolby Atmos. Has there been any talk about these, or did I miss it? I'm going cross eyed at this point.

BTW, the whole Micca debate is starting to remind me of the Republican presidential debates. Just my 2 cents.

And Carbo, I think we're all really anxious to hear a real world review on those RSL 34e's. And you're right, 10" is a big hole to be wrong about, but my gut feeling, with RSL's track record, is that you're going to be happy. Guess you're the guinea pig though.
I was searching around last night and saw a post from a couple years ago (before the whole Atmos craze) and saw someone say that some OSD and the Micca's were the exact same speaker, though the OSD cost twice as much. I found they have an ICE "Pro" series that looks very similar, and apparently the MK's you mentioned replaced the angled speakers from the ICE line.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #1216 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Looking forward to your thoughts on these speakers.

Vitod & PrestigeAudio, Getting a little concerned, it's been over four hours, you guys may need to see a doctor.

Marantz 6012, Krell KAV-500,
Old school Def Tech BP-2000s,CLR 2000, BPX surrounds, RSL C34E x 4
PSA S3000i & PSA S1801, Anti-Mode 8033S-II, AC Infinity AIRCOM S10
PS Audio PP-300,Sony BDP-S550,
Sony VPL-VWPRO-1, 92" Draper Onyx......
post #1217 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
It's impossible to know if he likes them if he hasn't heard them. No matter what he claims.

As for the RSL's, I'm curious about them. Still worried about the smaller woofer's and lack of any real data. Their directivity chart doesn't really help me determine dispersion, just that it's more disperse in one direction than another. That's to be expected with an angled speaker. Supposedly they are a quality company, but the lack of documentation or reviews is frustrating.

Despite the lack of reviews, I'm confident the RSL's are a safe bet. They are made with quality parts, RSL is a very reputable vendor and they offer a trial period (30 days?) after which you can return them if you're not satisfied. Several of us are very interested in your impressions.

post #1218 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and found it very informative so far. I'm nearing a purchase for four 6" ceiling speakers for atmos as part of my planned 7.2.4 setup. My LCR's are Pioneer EX speakers (s-3ex and s-8ex) designed by TAD. For my ceilings, the Tannoy cvs6 and B&W 663 look appealing, but I'm also curious about the older Pioneer S-IC671A which would be the closest timbre match to my LCR.

Looking at the specs, the 671a uses a "coherent source transducer" which appears to help with directivity off-axis. Considering I'm not a sound engineer, can somebody take a quick look at the brochure and tell me their thoughts on the 671a as compared to the Tannoy's? Would the 671's compliment or inhibit the Atmos experience?

Details:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...re%20FINAL.pdf
post #1219 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I was searching around last night and saw a post from a couple years ago (before the whole Atmos craze) and saw someone say that some OSD and the Micca's were the exact same speaker, though the OSD cost twice as much. I found they have an ICE "Pro" series that looks very similar, and apparently the MK's you mentioned replaced the angled speakers from the ICE line.
Thanks, I may have to check into that further. Hoping for more good reports on the RSL's though.
post #1220 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Despite the lack of reviews, I'm confident the RSL's are a safe bet. They are made with quality parts, RSL is a very reputable vendor and they offer a trial period (30 days?) after which you can return them if you're not satisfied. Several of us are very interested in your impressions.

I'm confident they'll be a good speaker.

I was just concerned with matching them tonally to my stuff and because of the two small 4 1/2 inch woofers, I was concerned with their ability to play loud. But after reading as much as I could find on them, it sounds like they will be a warm speaker which should match my Wharfedales.

Also the 10 inch holes are big.
post #1221 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaspen80 View Post
Wish I could afford the KEF 200RR-THX for nothing other than they look super awesome. Hell I would leave the grill off of those sexy beasts.

Don't you think these backer boxes are sexy too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post
Based on Doublewing's posts I also went with the KEF Ci200RR for my Atmos speakers. I have to say I am very impressed by the sound quality!

Chris

Have you started building your "sexy" backer boxes yet? Picture above is 0.71 cubic feet of "sexy"!
post #1222 of 2987 Old 02-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
I'm confident they'll be a good speaker.

I was just concerned with matching them tonally to my stuff and because of the two small 4 1/2 inch woofers, I was concerned with their ability to play loud. But after reading as much as I could find on them, it sounds like they will be a warm speaker which should match my Wharfedales.

Also the 10 inch holes are big.
I don't have any regrets with the RSLs. I haven't heard too many in-ceiling speakers, but for $125 /ea, edgeless design, and what I'm hearing, I'm satisfied. But do yourself a favor and play Dolby Atmos demo files. I was originally underwhelmed with an Atmos movie but then I listened to the Atmos files and was blown away.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4
Denon x6200
Ascend Acoustics Towers and Horizon Center (NrT)
RSL 34CE in-ceilings (4)
Rythmik E15HP
post #1223 of 2987 Old 02-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Don't you think these backer boxes are sexy too?

Have you started building your "sexy" backer boxes yet? Picture above is 0.71 cubic feet of "sexy"!

My speakers are fully in the ceiling, and so far they sound great without backer boxes. I will be doing some trials to build a box around the ceiling joists they are mounted between. They do look sweet on the ceiling....good for WAF.
post #1224 of 2987 Old 02-25-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post
My speakers are fully in the ceiling, and so far they sound great without backer boxes. I will be doing some trials to build a box around the ceiling joists they are mounted between. They do look sweet on the ceiling....good for WAF.
200rr-thx is an infinite baffle design so they should sound fine. If you're after soundproofing or have speaker inside the room like I do............well, backer boxes are a must. I'm receiving an F3 just a tad under 60 Hz.............this is from a manufacturer recommended ideal volume for backer box ie. 0.71 cf.
post #1225 of 2987 Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Greetings all,I'm a newbie to this thread and I hope I don't insult anyone yet I'm looking for some advice regarding the purchase of in ceiling speakers to be utilized for Dolby Atmos. My current set up is a 5.2 configuration. I'd like to expand to a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 . I'm currently have Definitive Technology SR-8040BP as my surrounds and Promonitor 1000's for my front Left and right. My concern is that recently I dumped a nice chunk of change on a Pioneer SC-95 and my available funds are to quote my better half "limited" . I've been looking at the Polk RC80i, Yamaha NS-IC600 WH and a few offerings from Micca. My concern is will there be an issue with timbre matching? I've looked into the offerings from DT yet currently a to rich for my blood. Any help would be great.

"These go to eleven." - Great words from Nigel Tufnel.
post #1226 of 2987 Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
200rr-thx is an infinite baffle design so they should sound fine. If you're after soundproofing or have speaker inside the room like I do............well, backer boxes are a must. I'm receiving an F3 just a tad under 60 Hz.............this is from a manufacturer recommended ideal volume for backer box ie. 0.71 cf.

Hey DW, how did you figure out the ideal volume for your speakers? I'm thinking of doing something similar for the JBL 227Cs, but with a shallower/wider box and need to figure out the volume of the enclosure.
post #1227 of 2987 Old 02-28-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
I have 4 of Ci200RR-THX on the way. Will boxes add anything? How do you mount the box to the ceiling? Do you add a bit of angle. Cheers
post #1228 of 2987 Old 02-28-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post
I have 4 of Ci200RR-THX on the way. Will boxes add anything? How do you mount the box to the ceiling? Do you add a bit of angle. Cheers
Used Simpson 12 gauge strong tie screwed into channel on one side................into 5/8th's OSB + Green Glue + 5/8th's drywall on the other side. Speaker+Boxes are inside soundproofed shell.....thus need for backer boxes.

Angle of box is about 10 degrees front and rear...........................this allows for coverage for two rows and 7 seats.
post #1229 of 2987 Old 02-28-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguarnaccia View Post
Hey DW, how did you figure out the ideal volume for your speakers? I'm thinking of doing something similar for the JBL 227Cs, but with a shallower/wider box and need to figure out the volume of the enclosure.
Talked directly to the engineer who designed speaker.........................

Volume for proper F3 value below 70 Hz, 0.71 cubes is needed..........
post #1230 of 2987 Old 02-28-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

Don't angle them. They are engineered to be flush to the ceiling for best performance. They are flush, but KEF's Uni-Q driver gives incredible dispersion. That speaker is THX Ultra2 certified, mounted flush/flat in the ceiling... even for LCR use!

The perfect box would have .71 cubic feet or larger. I say "or larger" because after .71 cubic feet the box becomes invisible to the speaker and does not matter in terms of sound quality or performance.

Tomorrow, I can attach KEF's sheet they sent to me as a dealer showing minimum & maximum boxes for best performance in their architectural speakers. A KEF engineer is the one who noted the "or larger" to me, so that is accurate. Basically, as long as you don't have the speaker mounted up in a tiny space, you are good to go.
hatlesschimp and bombertodd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos , ceiling speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page