Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos? - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 918Likes

post #1951 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post
I found that lining up the overheads speakers with left and right front speakers did not help with a narrow room. This also depends on where you have your left and right speakers. I found that placing the overhead speakers closer together helps tremendously. Just a hair inside the left and right seating.
What would be the minimum distance you would suggest mounting your Atmos speakers away from the side walls? I'm getting ready to cut holes in my ceiling and I have a narrow room at 13.5' wide. If I align them with my LR channels they would only be maybe two feet away from the side walls at most. Would it be more beneficial to mount them in line with the fronts to the MLP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 23
bring them in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
What would be the minimum distance you would suggest mounting your Atmos speakers away from the side walls? I'm getting ready to cut holes in my ceiling and I have a narrow room at 13.5' wide. If I align them with my LR channels they would only be maybe two feet away from the side walls at most. Would it be more beneficial to mount them in line with the fronts to the MLP?
I have heard to draw an X in the room. Draw a line from Left Frt speaker to right of MLP and another line from Right Frt speaker to left of MLP. If using a couch, use the ends of the couch for the lines to reach. X You should have made an X. Put the speakers on these lines. Remember, in pictures showing the Atmos speakers on top of the mains, they point to ceiling so that the bounce will reach the MLP. (angled) So it is ok to bring them in . Just have them parallel to each other. This is what I was told by a theater designer. Make sure you get someone else to agree to this. I am not an expert.

Last edited by landonsdad; 08-24-2016 at 04:05 PM.
post #1953 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post
I have heard to draw an X in the room. Draw a line from Left Frt speaker to right of MLP and another line from Right Frt speaker to left of MLP. If using a couch, use the ends of the couch for the lines to reach. X You should have made an X. Put the speakers on these lines. Remember, in pictures showing the Atmos speakers on top of the mains, they point to ceiling so that the bounce will reach the MLP. (angled) So it is ok to bring them in . Just have them parallel to each other. This is what I was told by a theater designer. Make sure you get someone else to agree to this. I am not an expert.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using in ceiling speakers, not Atmos enabled speakers on top of the fronts, so I won't have an opportunity to move them once they are set. I'm home now and measured. The LR speakers are actually 21" from the center of the speakers to the side walls. I'm installing speakers with a 10" diameter, so that would make them 16" from the side wall, which I think would be too close. I'll do what you suggest and see how it looks with tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:

According to Dolby specs, the ceiling speakers should be on the same plane as the fronts. In other words, if the fronts are 3 feet from the sidewall, so should the ceiling speakers. I believe it is perfectly acceptable to deviate from this to move the ceiling speakers inward, but I'd never suggest moving them wider than the fronts. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1955 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 05:29 PM

I realized you were using ceilings. Remember they don't point straight down, so I see no harm in being close to side walls, as the sound should be traveling away from side walls. I am going to try reflective Dolby speakers at first to avoid cuts. I also have 8' ceiling which recommends this.

This is the Dolby setup standard. Are your mains all the way to side walls?

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html
See illustration 2.

What is the height of your ceiling?

Last edited by landonsdad; 08-24-2016 at 05:34 PM.
post #1956 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the help. My left and right speakers are 21" from the wall to the center of the speakers. I have 10' ceilings and will be running a 7.1.2. DustinF suggested moving the speakers in when dealing with a narrower room and since mine is only a foot wider than his I was checking to see how far from the side walls he placed them in his specific scenario to determine if it may be good for me as well.
post #1957 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thanks for the help. My left and right speakers are 21" from the wall to the center of the speakers. I have 10' ceilings and will be running a 7.1.2. DustinF suggested moving the speakers in when dealing with a narrower room and since mine is only a foot wider than his I was checking to see how far from the side walls he placed them in his specific scenario to determine if it may be good for me as well.
I've read posts here that suggest moving inside from the LR speakers is just fine. That would be better than getting sound bouncing from the wall. Unless you have ceiling speakers with angled woofers you risk bouncing lower freq sound from the walls if speakers are too close to the wall.
post #1958 of 3194 Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsowens View Post
I've read posts here that suggest moving inside from the LR speakers is just fine. That would be better than getting sound bouncing from the wall. Unless you have ceiling speakers with angled woofers you risk bouncing lower freq sound from the walls if speakers are too close to the wall.
I'll be installing some RSL C34E speakers so they do have angled woofers.
post #1959 of 3194 Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am building a home theater in my new home and am looking to add 4 in-ceiling speakers for my existing PSB Imagine setup. I see the RSL's are pretty popular although there seems to be some concern about the small drivers. I'm also not sure how well they would match my PSBs.

Any thoughts on how the RSLs would compare to the PSB CW50R? It has a 5 1/4 woofer but thats not angled (although the tweeter pivots)

It looks like PSB may be discontinuing this line so I can get 4 of these for about $200 less than the RSLs.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/1...3328-CW50R.pdf
post #1960 of 3194 Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
For some time now I've been thinking of giving these try for Atmos speakers. They are reasonably priced compared to Triad, Martin Logan and Golden Ear and might have better full range response (above base management) than other open back ceiling speakers for seamless integration withy my main and surround speakers. I'm planning on driving to audition them at a distributor next week or wait until they're at the Tech Summit in Los Angeles in May.

Has anyone had a chance to hear how these sound?

Beal Street Audio IC6-BB

"• 8” Carbon Fiber Woofer"

"• 1” Titanium Dome Tweeter"

"• Butyl Rubber Surround"

"• Pivoting Tweeter"

"• Speaker Weight: 8.38 lbs (3.8kg)"

"• Cutout: 10.3” (261.5mm)"

"• Diameter 11.3” (284mm)"

"• Depth 8.6” (219.5mm)"

"• Power Handling: 5-120W"

"• Impedance: 8Ω"

"• Installed Frequency Response: 38 Hz - 22 kHz"

"• Sensitivity: 90db"

"• Grille: Magnetic Bezelless; White - Paintable"

"• Connector Type: Gold Spring Push Terminal"

"• Optional Pre-construction Bracket: EZBracket Size: B"

Our Sonic Vortex technology generates rich, deep

bass and effortless clarity from what most people

would call a 'back box', but is not. It is actually a

compact, integrated tuned enclosure. This patented

technology is a ‘twist’ on Ported Transmission Line

design, that optimizes air movement to produce

astonishing sound. The enclosure also keeps sound

from bleeding to other rooms while adding 6 to 9dB

boost in mid-lower bass.

https://www.gobeale.com/products/speakers/ic8-bb/

http://www.ravepubs.com/beale-stree

t-audio-shipping-nine-new-ceiling-speakers-powered-sonic-vortex-technology/

http://www.karma-av.co.uk/assets/_ma...ice%20list.pdf

Had a local installer quote these. Intrigued by them - anyone provide their personal experience?

post #1961 of 3194 Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Did you install them? How did it turn out?

LG OLED65E6P Marantz 7011 ML Motion 50XT Center ML Motion 4's rear
post #1962 of 3194 Old 08-31-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtiss View Post
Had a local installer quote these. Intrigued by them - anyone provide their personal experience?

I had a chance to hear them at the Tech Summit in Woodland Hills, they sounded just OK. There was a dispute between the speaker's designer and the parent company that bankrolled the creation of Beal Street. From what I have been able to find on the internet production under the Beal name almost ceased. Maybe they are still in production, I don't know. I did see the exact same housing, drivers etc under a different name at a AV distributor last week, so I think the parent company has licensed the design. I listened to the display and want's impressed.

Still looking for what to install in my own system for ATMOS speakers. We just picked up Origin Acoustics at my work. So now I'm waiting for the rep to bring us a pair of D-108's to audition at our shop.

Origin Acoustics D-108

http://www.originacoustics.com/product/2856

http://www.originacoustics.com/shopf...0Datasheet.pdf

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...hJFXLQUGkql.97

Response: 25 Hz - 20 JHz (boundary comp, Freq. adjust)
Dispersion: n/a
Sensitivity: 91 dB (111.6 max dB)
Impedance: 8 ohm
Power: 50 - 250 Watts
Tweeter: 1" Silk dome (pivoting)
Midrange: 4" kevlar cone (pivoting)
Woofer: 10" kevlar cone
Crossover: n/a
Dimensions: 11.5" dia. x 7.5"
Cut-Out: 10.375" dia.
Clearance: 7"
Weight: 9 lbs.

post #1963 of 3194 Old 09-01-2016, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you install them? How did it turn out?
I'll be installing them this weekend. I'm purchasing a Dremel drywall cutting bit to make cutting the circle easier.
post #1964 of 3194 Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtiss View Post

One bbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggg tweeter pole.......................I wouldn't expect these to measure well or flat! Expect many notches in FR!!!

I wouldn't consider them..................but then agan, that's me.
post #1965 of 3194 Old 09-02-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterous View Post
I am building a home theater in my new home and am looking to add 4 in-ceiling speakers for my existing PSB Imagine setup. I see the RSL's are pretty popular although there seems to be some concern about the small drivers. I'm also not sure how well they would match my PSBs.

Any thoughts on how the RSLs would compare to the PSB CW50R? It has a 5 1/4 woofer but thats not angled (although the tweeter pivots)

It looks like PSB may be discontinuing this line so I can get 4 of these for about $200 less than the RSLs.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/content/1...3328-CW50R.pdf
In case anyone runs into a similar situation this article indicates that traditional ceiling speakers, even those with aimable tweeters will likely not be the best option, especially if you have lower ceilings. Also has some placement options for two row situations

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/dol...ling-speakers/
hatlesschimp likes this.
post #1966 of 3194 Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Backing box for Micca M8Cs

I installed some Micca M8Cs in my ceiling which isn't finished yet to test things out. I simply placed them on a piece of MDF and screwed it to the joists. Right now Audyssey is crossing them over at 150hz. What size box should I place around them? They don't blend well during the Audyssey set up tones, but they sound fine in a movie mix. The Atmos Amaze demo is my favourite.
post #1967 of 3194 Old 09-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSPOOLER View Post
I installed some Micca M8Cs in my ceiling which isn't finished yet to test things out. I simply placed them on a piece of MDF and screwed it to the joists. Right now Audyssey is crossing them over at 150hz. What size box should I place around them? They don't blend well during the Audyssey set up tones, but they sound fine in a movie mix. The Atmos Amaze demo is my favourite.
I built boxes using 1/2 in MDF that are 15 x 20 x 8 inches 5 sided that I placed over my OSD MK850 speakers. I glued poly batting inside. I also glued weather stripping to the bottom to help seal the box to the sheetrock and to eliminate vibrations. You MUST glue the stripping down, the sticky side will not stay stuck. I wired them to my receiver and played some Dolby test files. Not impressed. I then ran Audessy and they now sound GREAT!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160816_163915.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1651465   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160816_164222.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1651473  
healthnut and yanks1 like this.
post #1968 of 3194 Old 09-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I built boxes using 1/2 in MDF that are 15 x 20 x 8 inches 5 sided that I placed over my OSD MK850 speakers. I glued poly batting inside. I also glued weather stripping to the bottom to help seal the box to the sheetrock and to eliminate vibrations. You MUST glue the stripping down, the sticky side will not stay stuck. I wired them to my receiver and played some Dolby test files. Not impressed. I then ran Audessy and they now sound GREAT!!!
That's great. So they just float then? I don't know the math involved to determine how much volume the boxes should have, etc. Did you just go with a size, or is there some science behind those dimensions?
post #1969 of 3194 Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSPOOLER View Post
That's great. So they just float then? I don't know the math involved to determine how much volume the boxes should have, etc. Did you just go with a size, or is there some science behind those dimensions?
Speaker parameters you need for determining box size include Vas, Qms, Qes, F3. Usually given more often for subwoofers. My boxes are 1.25 ft3. I'm betting any size from .75 to 1.25 ft3 will be fine.
post #1970 of 3194 Old 09-09-2016, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Speaker parameters you need for determining box size include Vas, Qms, Qes, F3. Usually given more often for subwoofers. My boxes are 1.25 ft3. I'm betting any size from .75 to 1.25 ft3 will be fine.
0.70 ft3 seems to be the magic number for most ceiling speakers.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #1971 of 3194 Old 09-12-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I have not been able to find much info on these speakers I'm considering for my Atmos setup. Anyone know much about these speakers, or for that matter the brands in general?

Russound RSA-635 - available for about $105 each.
MTX T625ACW Thunder Series - available for about $150 each.

Due to my low soffit on one side of my room, that is why I'm looking for speakers with angled drivers. Also due to clearance inside this soffit, I'm looking for a bit shallower speakers with a 4" max mounting depth (I know, this makes it rather difficult but it's what I have to work with).
post #1972 of 3194 Old 09-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I am running RSA-63 for my Atmos speakers. Basically the same as 635 but with the yellow Kevlar cones and a bit lower priced. They sound pretty clear and loud in my set up. I angled them all towards my MLP. Audyssey has them crossed at 80hz.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #1973 of 3194 Old 09-12-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamosa View Post
I am running RSA-63 for my Atmos speakers. Basically the same as 635 but with the yellow Kevlar cones and a bit lower priced. They sound pretty clear and loud in my set up. I angled them all towards my MLP. Audyssey has them crossed at 80hz.
I was just taking a look at your build thread...nice space!

Alright, good to know regarding the speakers...so it sounds like you are pleased with them. Do they seem to have a wide enough dispersion? Granted with the angled drivers and pivoting tweeter it may not be as big of a deal. Also, any chance you know if the 4.56" mounting depth is what's above the drywall or the entire speaker? I do see the 63's and 62's available for significantly less, so I might go with those if they fit.

I see you finally got your 6200...do you have Atmos up and running yet and if so, what are your impressions?
quamosa likes this.

Last edited by tcramer; 09-12-2016 at 04:24 PM.
post #1974 of 3194 Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I was just taking a look at your build thread...nice space!
Thanks!

Quote:
Do they seem to have a wide enough dispersion?
Yes. I believe the dispersion is really good as long as you are not behind where you are aiming the speaker.

I'm not sure about the mounting depth. Mine are hung in a soffit so I wasn't too mindful of the depth. I'm guessing it's the entire speaker regardless of drywall.

Quote:
I see you finally got your 6200...do you have Atmos up and running yet and if so, what are your impressions?
Yes ATMOS is pretty cool. The demo discs really show it off more than the movies I've watched. The effect is subtle in movies but you will notice if you are paying attention. The rainforest demo is cool and sounds like rain is falling down from everywhere. The Helicopter demo is cool too but no video just sound. The helicopter just flies around in circles overhead which might be a good test of dispersion. It sounds great with these speakers. My front heights are probably 14 feet in front of me and the ATMOS effect is still strong.

My First Build Ever in progress
post #1975 of 3194 Old 09-17-2016, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have 7'7" ceilings and a long narrow theater I'm building. I went with an SVS Ultra front stage and the surrounds will be Prime bookshelf speakers. I'm looking at building a 7.2.2 system and I need help finding in ceiling Atmos speakers for my dimensions.

Here are photos of my room in progress for reference. Please look over the junk. It will be cleaned as the theater progresses and the junk will be cleaned. Thanks in advance!

post #1976 of 3194 Old 09-26-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
I have an asymmetric room and the misfortune of at least 2 of 4 Atmos speakers (if I go 4) will be very close to an outside wall - the other two will be free and clear of wall. The concern has led me to looking at speakers with boundary controls like DefTech and Revel to help compensate. The Revel C763 and C783 are looking pretty good at the moment. Any thoughts/comments/users for these Revels?
post #1977 of 3194 Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
I'll be installing them this weekend. I'm purchasing a Dremel drywall cutting bit to make cutting the circle easier.
How did your C34E install go? What are your impressions? I spoke to Howard at RSL earlier today and ordered four of them to complete my setup.

Sony XBR-85X900F 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV; Denon AVR-X8500H (Dolby Atmos 7.2.6/DTS:X 7.2.4/Auro-3D 13.2); Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Amplifier; SVS Ultra Towers; SVS Ultra Center Channel; (4) SVS Ultra Surround Speakers; (12) SVS Prime Elevations for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D; Dual SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofers w/SVS Soundpath Isolation System; Auralex Subdude II Isolation Pads; Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray Player; Panamax M5400 Power Conditioner
post #1978 of 3194 Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbacker View Post
How did your C34E install go? What are your impressions? I spoke to Howard at RSL earlier today and ordered four of them to complete my setup.
Installation was a breeze. That Dremel bit made it pretty easy. I'm still working on my theater so I haven't extensively used them yet. If you're painting the grills, be sure to remove the felt first, then replace it once they are dry. I left them on and then contacted RSL and they confirmed what I suspected after the fact. I ended up removing my felt completely in the end since I didn't want the paint to effect the sound.
post #1979 of 3194 Old 10-09-2016, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys,

Also after a little advice before I purchase a pair of speakers for in-ceiling Atmos for a 5.1.2 setup.

My theatre room isn't that large, being 14.5ft wide 12.4ft deep and a couple inches under 9ft high ceiling, with the recliner 3 seat lounge sitting against the back wall, with TV opposite.

My system is powered by a Yamaha RX-A3060, and speakers are SVS ultra tower fronts, ultra centre and wall mount ultra rear surrounds.

Being in Australia the speaker selection here is probably more limited than what you guys have, but I am trying to find something suitable that will match the sounds from the SVS speakers.

I am considering a pair of Jamo IC408LCR or perhaps a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CCM683 (new user cant post links, apologies)

Problem is I know next to nothing about Atmos aside from it having certain requirements, like a wide dispersion angle, and that it should match (tone? timber? unsure...) the rest of the speakers in my system.

If those speakers are not suitable for whatever reason, please feel free to offer some advice.

Thanks all in advance.
noshank likes this.
post #1980 of 3194 Old 10-09-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2177
Quote:
I'll be installing some RSL C34E speakers so they do have angled woofers.
So it sounds like you haven't listened to them extensively yet? Curious - what kind of mains/surrounds do you have and what your impressions are thus far even though you haven't logged many hours. Can you comment on how they blend with the rest of your system yet? I noticed that RSL offers free shipping and 30-day trial - something I can't get from the other brands I'm considering, at least not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK01 View Post
Hey guys,

Also after a little advice before I purchase a pair of speakers for in-ceiling Atmos for a 5.1.2 setup.

My theatre room isn't that large, being 14.5ft wide 12.4ft deep and a couple inches under 9ft high ceiling, with the recliner 3 seat lounge sitting against the back wall, with TV opposite.

My system is powered by a Yamaha RX-A3060, and speakers are SVS ultra tower fronts, ultra centre and wall mount ultra rear surrounds.

Being in Australia the speaker selection here is probably more limited than what you guys have, but I am trying to find something suitable that will match the sounds from the SVS speakers.

I am considering a pair of Jamo IC408LCR or perhaps a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CCM683 (new user cant post links, apologies)

Problem is I know next to nothing about Atmos aside from it having certain requirements, like a wide dispersion angle, and that it should match (tone? timber? unsure...) the rest of the speakers in my system.

If those speakers are not suitable for whatever reason, please feel free to offer some advice.

Thanks all in advance.
What about the new SVS Prime Elevation speakers? I would agree that ideally you'd aim for "matched" speakers, though I've noticed a lot of people do not do this with height speakers and I'm led to believe it is less critical than having matching mains or surrounds. Those Prime Elevation should be a good match, but they are on-wall, not in-ceiling so not sure how they'd perform. (I'd imagine not bad though.)

If that's a no-go, I'd then consider the most neutral speakers you can find to lessen sonic mismatching if you're concerned about it. Not only am I concerned about this in my set up, but I've got other room issues that are leaning me towards Revel - these seem to come up frequently to be about as neutral as they come, plus the ones I'm interested in offer separate high frequency and low frequency control for rooms that potentially suck, like mine. I've never heard them in person.

I know the B&Ws you're considering offer some built-in EQ too, but don't know much about them, but if they're anything like the other CM series speakers, they'll have a signature that won't be exactly neutral. Doesn't mean they won't blend well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos , ceiling speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page