Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos? - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 870Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2941 of 3026 Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Member
 
z3roz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've got (4) AT ICTS-6.2e's. New they were $400/ea but on ebay I've seen them for dirt cheap. They're beautiful, to my ears anyway.
z3roz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2942 of 3026 Old 04-27-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
irishluck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
II would have already got the RSLs if the cutout hole wasn't so large...
What size speaker were you hoping to use with what size cutout? What's the average size for an Atmos speaker and what is it's cutout? The RSL cutout is 10 1/8" but gets impressive reviews.
irishluck73 is offline  
post #2943 of 3026 Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
What size speaker were you hoping to use with what size cutout? What's the average size for an Atmos speaker and what is it's cutout? The RSL cutout is 10 1/8" but gets impressive reviews.
I'm hoping for a hole under 8" due to my back Atmos speaker position. I think I'm going to try some cheap Micca speakers first and see how they work. If they aren't up to the task I can always look for something else.
CaptainChunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2944 of 3026 Old 05-28-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rontalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Checking in on this thread. I have been using and recommending the Micca M-8Cs since 2015. They have performed great from the beginning. However, I am curious to see other people's experience with them. Has anyone "upgraded" and felt it was worth the extra coin for some of the other more expensive ceiling speakers?

I use to have the ceilings turned up at least 6db higher than what YPAO sets them. Now, I typically just let them blend in the mix because I more except that surrounds and heights are not really meant to "stand out" over the mix. However, when I am demo'ing my setup, I crank them up 3db.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
rontalley is offline  
post #2945 of 3026 Old 06-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Lucky Strike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I see that most folks are using speakers with 6.5 or 8" woofers....anyone running something smaller for Atmos? I'm looking at the KEF CI130.2CR or 130QR's which have a 5.25" woofer for my 17'x19' 7'9" ceiling basement theater.
Lucky Strike is offline  
post #2946 of 3026 Old 06-06-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
I see that most folks are using speakers with 6.5 or 8" woofers....anyone running something smaller for Atmos? I'm looking at the KEF CI130.2CR or 130QR's which have a 5.25" woofer for my 17'x19' 7'9" ceiling basement theater.


I have JBL controls with 8” woofers. Very helpful for tracks with thunder, bombing,etc


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #2947 of 3026 Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
juanchibiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colombia - Florida
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I have JBL controls with 8” woofers. Very helpful for tracks with thunder, bombing,etc


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going the same path, jbl control 328c with some custom boxes to make them less deep previously had diy volt 6 and then rsl c34e

RSL C34E are great for the money and if you need a shallow speaker this is a good one, tweeter and woofer aim the MLP of positioned right, grill is almost invisible, easy to hang.

Volt 6 LX, being more sensitive dynamics are better than C34E but not as easy to hang, I feel dispersion may be a bit wider, you can make a box that suits your needs but is a little deeper and more expensive even without the box, not by much tough.

Jbl Control 328C, same sensitivity as the Volt 6 but a big crossover attached to the same speaker, grill is optional as is the back can, you can get them cheap on eBay I scored a few for $250 or less I compared this one with the volt 6 as main speakers also and feel that being inside the box (box is sealed as the ports are part of the design of the speaker) this JBL is better than the Volt 6, they dig deeper, are not as bright, dispersion is better, components seem overall better and the design it's great, voice and sound separation is also clearer on this one, with some ambient sounds like rain it also feels more natural.

So for anyone looking for some info on some speakers here is my thoughts, I like the jbl so much that I'm changing all my surrounds and atmos speakers for them, this are alike the SCS-8 bit without a box so I made one

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk
irishluck73 likes this.
juanchibiris is offline  
post #2948 of 3026 Old 06-07-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post
Going the same path, jbl control 328c with some custom boxes to make them less deep previously had diy volt 6 and then rsl c34e

RSL C34E are great for the money and if you need a shallow speaker this is a good one, tweeter and woofer aim the MLP of positioned right, grill is almost invisible, easy to hang.

Volt 6 LX, being more sensitive dynamics are better than C34E but not as easy to hang, I feel dispersion may be a bit wider, you can make a box that suits your needs but is a little deeper and more expensive even without the box, not by much tough.

Jbl Control 328C, same sensitivity as the Volt 6 but a big crossover attached to the same speaker, grill is optional as is the back can, you can get them cheap on eBay I scored a few for $250 or less I compared this one with the volt 6 as main speakers also and feel that being inside the box (box is sealed as the ports are part of the design of the speaker) this JBL is better than the Volt 6, they dig deeper, are not as bright, dispersion is better, components seem overall better and the design it's great, voice and sound separation is also clearer on this one, with some ambient sounds like rain it also feels more natural.

So for anyone looking for some info on some speakers here is my thoughts, I like the jbl so much that I'm changing all my surrounds and atmos speakers for them, this are alike the SCS-8 bit without a box so I made one

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk


Great summary, and it’s good to know I’m not alone in appreciating the virtues of the JBL’s. Unfortunately, I’m soon to move to a small condo, and must give up my dedicated HT space, including, unfortunately, my 4 JBL Control 328C’s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juanchibiris likes this.
healthnut is offline  
post #2949 of 3026 Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
juanchibiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colombia - Florida
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Great summary, and it’s good to know I’m not alone in appreciating the virtues of the JBL’s. Unfortunately, I’m soon to move to a small condo, and must give up my dedicated HT space, including, unfortunately, my 4 JBL Control 328C’s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think they are so good they'll do fine as main speakers if you don't want to get rid of them

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk
juanchibiris is offline  
post #2950 of 3026 Old 06-07-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post
I think they are so good they'll do fine as main speakers if you don't want to get rid of them

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk


Good point, hadn’t thought of that. Have to mount them in the wall though, if I went that way. Thanks for the suggestion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #2951 of 3026 Old 06-16-2019, 04:53 AM
Member
 
imsatasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking for ATMOS in ceiling for 7.2.4 setup, what would you recommend between RSL C34E and Polk MC80?

Current Setup:
Front: SVS ULTRA bookshelf
Rear & Back: EMP Tek R5Bi
Sub: SVS
Denon X4300h with Monoprice Monolith 7 x 200

Last edited by imsatasia; 06-30-2019 at 12:35 PM.
imsatasia is offline  
post #2952 of 3026 Old 06-16-2019, 06:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 8
My room is 10*12 and ceiling height is 7.8". MLP is 9 feet from the screen and three feet from the back wall.
I would like to setup 5.2.4. Should i go with RSL c34e or Klipsch CDT-3650-C-II or JBL sp8cii for ATMOS.
amdar is offline  
post #2953 of 3026 Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
blSwagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I hope to buy a 5.2.4 system in the near future. I am trying to figure out which in-ceiling Atmos and surrounds to get. For L/C/R channels, I'd like to get Revel F208's and C208 center channel. I'm considering the following in-ceiling Atmos and surround speakers:

Revel C363 - $250 - angle-adjustable tweeter, plastic frame
Paradigm CI Home H65-A - $329 - 30 degree angled tweeter and woofer (not adjustable)
Revel C563 - $350 - angle-adjustable tweeter, aluminum frame and three-position tweeter level control
Revel C763 - $500 - angle-adjustable tweeter, aluminum frame, high-output woofer, three-position tweeter level control, boundary compensation switch
Revel C763L - $750 - angled tweeter, 2 3.5" midrange woofers, 7.8" x 3.4" diaphragm flat-panel low frequency woofer, three-position tweeter level control, and boundary compensation

Putting subs, receiver, TV, etc. aside, assuming I have a $2,100 budget (and assuming MSRP pricing), of the following options, what's the best choice for surrounds and Atmos?

A) 6 C363's = $1,500 (least expensive)
B) 2 H65-A's + 4 C363's = $1,658 (least expensive option with angled surrounds)
C) 2 C563'S + 4 C363's = $1,700
D) 6 H65-A's = $1,974 (all angled)
E) 2 C763's + 4 C363's = $2,000
F) 2 H65-A's + 4 C563's = $2,058
G) 6 C563's = $2,100

Would it really be worth going over budget for the following choices?

H) 2 C763's + 4 C563's = $2,400
I) 2 C763L's + 4 C363's = $2,500
J) 2 C763L's + 4 C563's = $2,900

My dealer recommended choice "X", which I've ruled out completely:
X) 2 H65-A's (for front Atmos) + 4 C363DT's ($300/each) for rear Atmos and surrounds = $1,858

I like that the Paradigm CI Home H65-A's are 30°-angled and are only $329, but I am hesitant to mix speaker brands. For the back Atmos and surround speakers, my dealer recommended the Revel C363DT's, which have two tweeters. The dealer is a big proponent of bipole rear/surround speakers. I don't subscribe to that theory. From soundandvision.com: "Dolby recommends using direct-radiating surround speakers positioned at roughly ear-height for Atmos. Why? Object-based surround technology allows for a more spatially precise rendering of soundtrack information than was possible with channel-based formats, and Dolby maintains that direct-radiating speakers are best equipped to deliver it, both in cinemas and at home."

I would feel more comfortable having angled surrounds, but the seemingly best speaker I'm considering, the C763L, would put me over budget. Would I be better off with the Paradigm H65-A, or would the C363/C563/C763 be okay by angling the tweeter? The same question applies to the Atmos choices, but I think it's an important distinction given the recommendation from Dolby to have surrounds at ear level.

Thanks for taking the time to read my entire post and thank you in advance for your advice!

Last edited by blSwagger; 06-17-2019 at 08:15 PM.
blSwagger is offline  
post #2954 of 3026 Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
I like that the Paradigm CI Home H65-A's are 30°-angled and are only $329, but I am hesitant to mix speaker brands. For the back Atmos and surround speakers, my dealer recommended the Revel C363DT's, which have two tweeters. The dealer is a big proponent of bipole rear/surround speakers. I don't subscribe to that theory. From soundandvision.com: "Dolby recommends using direct-radiating surround speakers positioned at roughly ear-height for Atmos. Why? Object-based surround technology allows for a more spatially precise rendering of soundtrack information than was possible with channel-based formats, and Dolby maintains that direct-radiating speakers are best equipped to deliver it, both in cinemas and at home."

I would feel more comfortable having angled surrounds, but the seemingly best speaker I'm considering, the C763L, would put me over budget. Would I be better off with the Paradigm H65-A, or would the C363/C563/C763 be okay by angling the tweeter? The same question applies to the Atmos choices, but I think it's an important distinction given the recommendation from Dolby to have surrounds at ear level.

Thanks for taking the time to read my entire post and thank you in advance for your advice!
Bipoles can be used, but I'd recommend, as does Dolby, monopoles - consider bipoles if the speakers are uncomfortably close to one of the listening positions perhaps. There are folks here using bipoles with Atmos and getting very good results. Still acceptable according to Dolby. (Dipoles no....).

You don't need angled surrounds, and they can present a challenge depending on your circumstances, but also - plenty of folks using them and getting excellent results. I'd look at the RSL C34E commentary if you want to go angled. The C763L is a great speaker by all accounts. BUT yeah, pricey as you know! Totally fine with other speakers and angling the tweeter. If you are doing Revel mains, no reason to not consider Revel all around, other than price. (I do think the architecturals are over-priced, but they are good speakers....and can be had for less if you know where to go.....! )

If you did a mix of Paradigm and Revel, I think you'd be fine. I fyou could do the Revels as surround, I'd probably recommend that - but this is coming from a guy that DOES have 3 brands mixed including the surrounds - but I was able to test them out pre-purchase to see how the blended with the mains - no problem! Consider stepping up to the Pro line if you go Paradigm. Less concern in my opinion mixing different branded Atmos speakers with the bed layer, but matching isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't however mix two brands for Atmos say. Keep those 4 the same. I disagree with your dealer.

The RSL speaker is probably one of the best values out there in a ceiling speaker - not the cheapest, but when you read what owners say, it's to conclude otherwise. Still. at their price - you'd get all for less than a single Revel C763 at MSRP! They do have a large cutout, so you have to be able to accommodate that. I do like the company, great folks to chat with, and the speaker is not unusual to find on back order due to popularity. Save money here, and you could sport for a higher-end surround which will carry more load than the Atmos speakers.
blSwagger likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59

Last edited by Jonas2; 06-18-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Jonas2 is offline  
post #2955 of 3026 Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Hopefully this weekend I'll get to decide if one of these speakers is going iny atmos setup.

$60 Micca R-8c vs the $125 RSL C34E

Am surprised at how big both of these are in person!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
irishluck73 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #2956 of 3026 Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
irishluck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Hopefully this weekend I'll get to decide if one of these speakers is going iny atmos setup.
Please post photos and your impressions. Will be helpful to myself and others. Thanks!

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
irishluck73 is offline  
post #2957 of 3026 Old 06-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Your local money-making dealer also just might be providing unprecedented levels of in-person support and could be one like mine. They are fully aware that they have to compete with the internet sellers and do NOT gouge their customers who come back over and over again for fair prices and honest input.
I live in Massachusetts as well..... who is this dealer you speak so highly of?

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
Liquid$team is offline  
post #2958 of 3026 Old 06-22-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,709
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
I live in Massachusetts as well..... who is this dealer you speak so highly of?
LOL....Not in in Massachusetts, but really close.

It is Audio Video Therapy of Nashua NH.

I don't know where in MA you live, but they are just 1 mile over the border on the Daniel Webster Hwy. Just off US RT3, you can take the last exit in MA off RT3 or either of the 1st 2 exits in NH and get there. It's about an hour ride for me in central MA, and has proven to be well worth that effort and a little bit of fuel.

They also have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AVTnashua/

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #2959 of 3026 Old 06-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I have a set of in wall speakers that I am not using. I was thinking about mounting them up high in the front and using them as front height speakers. I would think they would act similar to the svs elevation speakers except they won't be angled down.

My issue is that my seating position is against the rear wall. I can't really decide where would be the place to position 4 atmos speakers. I was thinking 2 in ceiling firing directly on the MLP..... and then either 2 front height speakers (in wall) or 2 in ceiling speakers just off the front sound stage.

I need to educate myself on what decoding formats send content to which speakers. Anyone know a good all encompassing website for that information?

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube

Last edited by Liquid$team; 06-22-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Liquid$team is offline  
post #2960 of 3026 Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Please post photos and your impressions. Will be helpful to myself and others. Thanks!
Very brief Initial feedback -

c34e sounds better in clarity and detail, yet isn't as "full" sounding as the Micca. The lack of lower end grunt vs the Micca gives the c34e a thin sound.

Micca R-8c has WAY more low end (even if I turn its crossover switch down - 3db). Those tiny woofers in the c34e simply can't compete with an 8" driver. Sounds "fuller" than the c34e.


I plan to listen to them both a bit more and will revisit my impressions again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Nexgen76, irishluck73 and yanks1 like this.

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #2961 of 3026 Old 06-23-2019, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
irishluck73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
c34e sounds better in clarity and detail, yet isn't as "full" sounding as the Micca. The lack of lower end grunt vs the Micca gives the c34e a thin sound.

Micca R-8c has WAY more low end (even if I turn its crossover switch down - 3db). Those tiny woofers in the c34e simply can't compete with an 8" driver. Sounds "fuller" than the c34e.
Question for people who have a lot of experience with Atmos movies. - Is the typical Atmos content better served by having better clarity and detail or a speaker capable of going lower with a fuller sound?

I haven't heard Atmos yet but I'm thinking more of jets flying over, thunder, etc. but I may be completely off base.

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
irishluck73 is offline  
post #2962 of 3026 Old 06-23-2019, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
zimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
MY room have 12x25 ,I running 7.4.6 and my atmos have 5 years now never problem .


earthquake atmos


2 top front model SS-82W
2 top middle MODEL ECS-8.0
2 top back model SS-82W


FOR SHUR IS THE BEST TOP ATMOS, I TRY MANY AND THIS ONE (EARTHQUAKE)IS VERY GOOD.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
zimmo is offline  
post #2963 of 3026 Old 06-23-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Very brief Initial feedback -

c34e sounds better in clarity and detail, yet isn't as "full" sounding as the Micca. The lack of lower end grunt vs the Micca gives the c34e a thin sound.

Micca R-8c has WAY more low end (even if I turn its crossover switch down - 3db). Those tiny woofers in the c34e simply can't compete with an 8" driver. Sounds "fuller" than the c34e.


I plan to listen to them both a bit more and will revisit my impressions again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Bear in mind that neither of these will be running full-range when set-up. Probably crossed over at 80 or 100. Run them both crossed over and see if you still think the 8" is better. Of course, if you are not going to have a sub, then the point is moot.
Jonas2 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #2964 of 3026 Old 06-23-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Very brief Initial feedback -

c34e sounds better in clarity and detail, yet isn't as "full" sounding as the Micca. The lack of lower end grunt vs the Micca gives the c34e a thin sound.

Micca R-8c has WAY more low end (even if I turn its crossover switch down - 3db). Those tiny woofers in the c34e simply can't compete with an 8" driver. Sounds "fuller" than the c34e.

I plan to listen to them both a bit more and will revisit my impressions again.
RayGuy already hit it - but to reiterate that point - listen to them with the subs, assuming you're running them. Also, are you listening to them "on the bench" not in the ceiling, do keep in mind that once installed, the characteristics are going to change a bit. (But yeah, I know, actually installed testing is tough!) If subs, then clarity I'd say is more important! (Especially for upmixed music, if you're into that.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Question for people who have a lot of experience with Atmos movies. - Is the typical Atmos content better served by having better clarity and detail or a speaker capable of going lower with a fuller sound?

I haven't heard Atmos yet but I'm thinking more of jets flying over, thunder, etc. but I may be completely off base.
Clarity! Some will disagree. But arguably one of the best architectural speakers out there (Revel C763L) only goes down to 80Hz, and there is even a school of thought/practice about running them no lower than 120Hz. Assume you have sub(s) - if not, than perhaps reconsidering this to some degree. You might be surprised that a lot of the sounds you might associate with lows/subs, are actually higher frequencies or have higher frequency components that would I think benefit from the clarity approach.
irishluck73 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #2965 of 3026 Old 06-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Bear in mind that neither of these will be running full-range when set-up. Probably crossed over at 80 or 100. Run them both crossed over and see if you still think the 8" is better. Of course, if you are not going to have a sub, then the point is moot.
Sorry I haven't posted all my settings yet, but that initial review I ran them crossed over at various points.

I did test them crossed at 80hz and the Micca still had way more low end than the RSL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #2966 of 3026 Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I run my 4 rsl ceiling speakers crossed at 100. I think they are amazing. I think you will find that most atmos movies or upconverted dolby surround material does not really send a great deal of low end to the ceiling speakers.
yanks1 likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
dan webster is offline  
post #2967 of 3026 Old 06-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
RayGuy already hit it - but to reiterate that point - listen to them with the subs, assuming you're running them. Also, are you listening to them "on the bench" not in the ceiling, do keep in mind that once installed, the characteristics are going to change a bit. (But yeah, I know, actually installed testing is tough!) If subs, then clarity I'd say is more important! (Especially for upmixed music, if you're into that.....)



Clarity! Some will disagree. But arguably one of the best architectural speakers out there (Revel C763L) only goes down to 80Hz, and there is even a school of thought/practice about running them no lower than 120Hz. Assume you have sub(s) - if not, than perhaps reconsidering this to some degree. You might be surprised that a lot of the sounds you might associate with lows/subs, are actually higher frequencies or have higher frequency components that would I think benefit from the clarity approach.

I built boxes for them to test against one another. They will probably sound a bit different actually in the ceiling I'm sure. Interestingly enough the cutout for both these speakers is very very close, you could definitely cut a hole and run either one in the hole.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
DavidinGA is offline  
post #2968 of 3026 Old 06-24-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I built boxes for them to test against one another. They will probably sound a bit different actually in the ceiling I'm sure. Interestingly enough the cutout for both these speakers is very very close, you could definitely cut a hole and run either one in the hole.

That's good! But man, that's a big hole - one of the reasons I couldn't do the RSL, clearances were just too tight up above vs. joists so I had to go a lot smaller on the cutout....keep us posted on your final choice!
DavidinGA likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #2969 of 3026 Old 06-29-2019, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I tried the Amber's from Monoprice..... did not like so I returned them. Decided to just go with what I know and that matches the rest of my system. The Klipsch CDT 5800's. Started install last night. I have installed 10 or so in wall speakers and honestly the cutting of of the ceiling was WAY MORE annoying and dusty than the walls. Every single bit of drywall dust just drops right onto and into every part of your body! I have cut 2 holes so far and unfortunately I ran into a 1x2 bridge they used to add mounting area for hanging the drywall in both holes. I ended up having to use a jigsaw for about 25% of each hole because the drywall saw doesn't like cutting through wood lol. Because they only used 1x2 and not 2x4 lumber the mounting tabs were still able to clamp down on them.

I only did the rear speakers because I need to slide the seating out of the way. I ran the wires... which again was much more annoying than I anticipated due to cross bridging and blocking. I coiled the speaker wire for the front speakers (my AVR is in the rear of my room) in the holes and threw the speakers up just to see how they looked. Honestly they do blend right in despite being about 10 inches across. I need to pull them out in order to continue with the next set so I'll try to grab a couple pictures of the issues I ran into. Maybe it will help others that decide to hack into their ceilings lol.

I have yet to listen to them cause I have a pretty good idea what Klipsch sound like as I have owned probably 30 different models over the years. The ability to aim the tweeter is nice though.
Paid $194 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	381511.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	2585486   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190627_161936.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	734.9 KB
ID:	2585488   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_194623.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	2585806   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_194638.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	2585808   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_194648.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	2585810  


Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube

Last edited by Liquid$team; 06-30-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Liquid$team is offline  
post #2970 of 3026 Old 06-30-2019, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Got them installed last night. All that's left is some wire clean up, dust clean up, and testing them out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_195306.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	2585788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190630_033638 (1).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	2585790   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190630_033650.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	2585792   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_195246.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2585794  

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
Liquid$team is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos , ceiling speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off