Want to downgrade in size, upgrade in quality. Help! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
And it would be my pick too.

I am sure there would be some lobing issues - however I would still buy it, if I can not make
room for the bookshelf speaker. Also, I do like that it is crossed-over low.
Depending on the xover slope, the RS260 on it's side may still give better off axis response... given the very tight driver spacing and the low xover point.... No, it wouldn't be symmetrical, but it wouldn't have the lobing issues of the 4 identical mid-woofers.

Of course, the RS260 is meant to be a stand mount speaker (ie. with baffle step compensation) and appears to be a tuned for a little bump in the bass... so it may not sound so great sitting on a TV stand right beneath a large TV.

Last edited by alphaiii; 08-27-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post
Agreed... a vertical RS260 as a center would be my pick too...

If the RS244C were a 3-way design (or maybe even a 2.5 way), it'd be more interesting... but I don't like that all 4 woofers handle the same range... I'd expect some pretty big lobing off-axis.
So are you saying you would only do the RS260 as a center if I could put it vertical? I would need to do it horizontal in my setup. Would you still pick it over the RS244C in a horizontal configuration?
post #33 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdlz View Post
So are you saying you would only do the RS260 as a center if I could put it vertical? I would need to do it horizontal in my setup. Would you still pick it over the RS244C in a horizontal configuration?
If you will be relatively close to on-axis... I imagine either would be fine.

I'd probably go with the RS244C with the hope Boston designed it with placement near a TV and large stand in mind. The RS260 would do better on a stand with space around it.

If you are going to be sitting far off axis... then it's hard to say as I have no real idea how the RS244C would sound in your room... the lobing may or may not be bothersome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3005 Post(s)
Liked: 2910
Quote:
You can do it horizontal, it has decent vertical and horizontal measurements - also the
tweeter plate has the same lay-out as the center, when the speaker is turned horizontal.

I have the VS speakers - and I can turn them side ways for center channel use. Also the
Boston E series speakers could be turned on its side.

Do not let a few comments throw you off - no one can guarantee you that something will
not work.

I for sure would buy the RS260, even if I needed to turn it horizontal.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-27-2014 at 03:26 PM.
post #35 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can do it horizontal, it has decent vertical and horizontal measurements - also the
tweeter plate has the same lay-out as the center, when the speaker is turned horizontal.

I have the VS speakers - and I can turned them side ways for center channel use. Also the
Boston E series speakers could be turned on its side.

Do not let a few comments throw you off - no one can guarantee you that something will
not work.

I for sure would buy the RS260, even if I needed to turn it horizontal.
What about putting the smaller RS230 in the center? OR is that again not as good as having three identical speakers?

Would the RS230 be better or worse than the RS244C in your opinion if size was an issue with going with the RS260 as a center?
post #36 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
What about putting the smaller RS230 in the center? OR is that again not as good as having three identical speakers?

Would the RS230 be better or worse than the RS244C in your opinion if size was an issue with going with the RS260 as a center?
I would take the 244c over the 230 speakers - while it is designed to timbre (voice tone) match the RS series,
the over-all sound will be on the small size. I would only use the 230 as surrounds.

I would go with the 244c - if going horizontal with the 260 will be a size issue. Do not fear the 244c it is still
made/designed, to timbre (voice tone) match the RS series speakers.

----------------
Who AM I
post #37 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
I like the sound of my current setup overall, but the components are HUGE. Especially for apartment living. The towers are over 15" deep and the Center over 14" deep.

C'mon.... it's not so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FSCN0032.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	232409  
post #38 of 57 Old 08-27-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
C'mon.... it's not so bad.
So, does that restrict you from upgrading your TV?

----------------
Who AM I
post #39 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I would take the 244c over the 230 speakers - while it is designed to timbre (voice tone) match the RS series,
the over-all sound will be on the small size. I would only use the 230 as surrounds.

I would go with the 244c - if going horizontal with the 260 will be a size issue. Do not fear the 244c it is still
made/designed, to timbre (voice tone) match the RS series speakers.
One thing to note is the depth of the 260 (9-11/16") and the 244c (6-11/16"), when you make your final decision.
What is the depth of space that you will have, for placing your center channel?

----------------
Who AM I
post #40 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One thing to note is the depth of the 260 (9-11/16") and the 244c (6-11/16"), when you make your final decision.
What is the depth of space that you will have, for placing your center channel?
It will be on a mantel that is 14" deep so I think I am going to go for the three 260's with the center being on it's side plus that saves me $100!

I guess the last thing i wanted to ask is, in your opinion should these be significantly better quality than my current Polk's or am I looking at more of a lateral move in sound quality. subjectivity aside.
post #41 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
It will be on a mantel that is 14" deep so I think I am going to go for the three 260's with the center being on it's side plus that saves me $100!

I guess the last thing i wanted to ask is, in your opinion should these be significantly better quality than my current Polk's or am I looking at more of a lateral move in sound quality. subjectivity aside.
No one can guarantee you anything, or speak for your ears.

However this would be more than a lateral move for me - as the Polks Rti and Monitor series,
tend to sound somewhat artificial and lack detail and definition for me.

Boston will tend to have a different type sonic-sound signature compared to what you are use to.
Just remember the towers you have, will have more bass - however, from the frequencies that the
RS260 can hit - you could/should be in, for a nice pleasant surprise.

For me the decision is easy - however, you option and call

----------------
Who AM I
post #42 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No one can guarantee you anything, or speak for your ears.

However this would be more than a lateral move for me - as the Polks Rti and Monitor series,
tend to sound somewhat artificial and lack detail and definition for me.

Boston will tend to have a different type sonic-sound signature compared to what you are use to.
Just remember the towers you have, will have more bass - however, from the frequencies that the
RS260 can hit - you could/should be in, for a nice pleasant surprise.

For me the decision is easy - however, you option and call
WELLLLL I just ordered three RS260's! Sure hope that you are right! Thanks so much for all your help and advice.

I will post back on here once I get them and test them out!
post #43 of 57 Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
WELLLLL I just ordered three RS260's! Sure hope that you are right! Thanks so much for all your help and advice.

I will post back on here once I get them and test them out!
OK, good! Hope you do enjoy them and your new adventure.

----------------
Who AM I
post #44 of 57 Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Hello!

First time poster here on AVS. Was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions.

Current Setup:
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
FL/FR: Polk RTi8's
Center: Polk CSi5
Sub: Polk PSW505

... wouldn't want to spend much more than ~$400 on the bookshelf speakers if possible unless it was for something truly special.

I listen to both music and tv/movies with this setup.

Hoping to get some feedback on what you would suggest for killer sound out of a more compact setup!

Thanks!!!
Drewdlz,

How big is the room where you're planning to put these new bookshelf speakers in? What are the room dimensions in terms of front to back, side to side and ceiling to floor? How far away do you sit from the speakers? The room plays an important role in sound reproduction as it affects the listening environment.

If you're still looking for good quality speakers, might want to consider the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer bookshelf Atmos speakers: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/SP-EBS73-LR as are very interesting. Later on when you up-grade your receiver for Atmos, these speakers have the built in Atmos enabled modules to which can be easily connected to.

Andrew designs high end speakers for TAD.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #45 of 57 Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 AM

He made his purchase in post #42

----------------
Who AM I
post #46 of 57 Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 678
I hope I'm not being rude, since I'm ignoring your budget and the fact that you've already bought the speakers!

But, if you aren't happy and end up returning them, Adam studio monitors give shockingly great sound in pretty small packages. For example, A7Xs. You can sometimes find them for a good deal on Craigslist.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-aud...7x/description
post #47 of 57 Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Drewdlz,

How big is the room where you're planning to put these new bookshelf speakers in? What are the room dimensions in terms of front to back, side to side and ceiling to floor? How far away do you sit from the speakers? The room plays an important role in sound reproduction as it affects the listening environment.

If you're still looking for good quality speakers, might want to consider the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer bookshelf Atmos speakers: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/SP-EBS73-LR as are very interesting. Later on when you up-grade your receiver for Atmos, these speakers have the built in Atmos enabled modules to which can be easily connected to.

Andrew designs high end speakers for TAD.
I actually don't know the exact dimensions since I am moving into a new apartment this next month but I know each wall in the living area is in the 10-12ft range.

I settled on the Boston RS260's which I got on a great deal for only $160 a piece! plus they are a little more stylish looking.

Thanks!

Last edited by Drewdlz; 08-29-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Realized I had looked at different Pioneer's than the ones you linked too. oops.
post #48 of 57 Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
I hope I'm not being rude, since I'm ignoring your budget and the fact that you've already bought the speakers!

But, if you aren't happy and end up returning them, Adam studio monitors give shockingly great sound in pretty small packages. For example, A7Xs. You can sometimes find them for a good deal on Craigslist.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-aud...7x/description
Not rude at all! Any new information is always appreciated! IF I end up disliking my Boston's I will be back on here looking for new suggestions!

Thanks!
post #49 of 57 Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
IF I end up disliking my Boston's I will be back on here looking for new suggestions!
Think positive.

Good thing you moved on the deal - there is only 1 ea RS260 left.

----------------
Who AM I
post #50 of 57 Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Think positive.

Good thing you moved on the deal - there is only 1 ea RS260 left.
HOLY COW!!!

Talk about speaker fate!

post #51 of 57 Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Two week opinion

Hello!

Have now had the RS260's for a couple weeks and so far have been very impressed. I will start by saying that I have still yet to setup the center channel. I am waiting until I move to my new apartment this weekend so that I can see which way I need to orientate it and thus put the little rubber feet on the correct side. so I have only run them so far in 2.0 and 2.1 setups.

When I first hooked them up I started with 2.0 music and WOW. The detail and clarity especially in the high's was truly amazing compared to my Polk towers. I felt like I could hear every instrument on it's own and was able to pick out minor details that before were clouded. Obviously they lacked just a bit of the low end in comparison but that is no surprise when comparing them to the towers. Overall I was very very please with the stereo music. When hooked up to the sub all the lack of low's was completely negated.

Switching to TV I found that without a center you really need to be in the correct spot for dialogue to sound right. Even then voices sounded a bit "thick" at first but I have noticed that it has evened out a bit as they have gotten more time on them. I fully expect them to only get better with that especially when I hook up the center.

So in conclusion in my just two weeks of living with them, The RS260's are AMAZING with music and good with HT. My opinion of them may change later on that fron but I would say in comparison to my Polk's they are WAYYY better with music and either equal or slightly better with HT, granted they may emerge as way better once the center in hooked up. I will give a final update in a few weeks once I have lived with them in a 3.1 setup for a while.

Thanks so much! All I need to do now is get someone to buy my Polk's :/
Transmaniacon and zieglj01 like this.
post #52 of 57 Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Glad that you are happy - continue to enjoy the adventure.

----------------
Who AM I
post #53 of 57 Old 09-17-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad that you are happy - continue to enjoy the adventure.
Also a question for Transmaniacon

Off topic...

But do you have any opinion on Definitive Tech subwoofers? I seem to see mixed feelings on them. There is a 1 year old used Supercube 4000 for sale near me for $375. Seems like a good deal for a nice compact sub but I wanted to see if you had any thoughts on that VS spending a little more to get one of the compact SVS subwoofers. the 8" woofer of the supercube makes me nervous though they claim the passive radiators make it equal to a 12".

But $375 or less seems like a nice price all the same.

Thanks!
post #54 of 57 Old 09-17-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Quote:
Also a question for Transmaniacon

Off topic...

But do you have any opinion on Definitive Tech subwoofers? I seem to see mixed feelings on them. There is a 1 year old used Supercube 4000 for sale near me for $375. Seems like a good deal for a nice compact sub but I wanted to see if you had any thoughts on that VS spending a little more to get one of the compact SVS subwoofers. the 8" woofer of the supercube makes me nervous though they claim the passive radiators make it equal to a 12".

But $375 or less seems like a nice price all the same.

Thanks!
I think they are overpriced, I would recommend the Reaction BPS 212 instead, it is a compact sub with dual-opposed 12 inch drivers, and I would wager it's a better performer than the SB-1000.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #55 of 57 Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 41
JBL Studio 5 Series. 530's for front and surround, 520C for centre channel and 550P for sub. The SVS SB-1000 would be another good sub. I have the JBL Studio 5 series with a Sony STR DN-1050 AV Receiver. I love the sound.
post #56 of 57 Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I think they are overpriced, I would recommend the Reaction BPS 212 instead, it is a compact sub with dual-opposed 12 inch drivers, and I would wager it's a better performer than the SB-1000.
is 19x16x19 really considered compact? I know that bigger is usually better when it comes to sub but I was much hoping to get something closer to a cubic foot while still having as good of performance as I could in a reasonable price range.

My current sub is 16x15x18 and my GF complains of its size.

Any other options besides the SVS in that size range? Thoughts on the Supercube for that price?
post #57 of 57 Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Quote:
is 19x16x19 really considered compact? I know that bigger is usually better when it comes to sub but I was much hoping to get something closer to a cubic foot while still having as good of performance as I could in a reasonable price range.

My current sub is 16x15x18 and my GF complains of its size.

Any other options besides the SVS in that size range? Thoughts on the Supercube for that price?
In the sub world, yes that is compact

The SB-1000 is a 14" cube, but I would avoid the DefTech sub. There is only so much a little 8" woofer can do, despite what they claim.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bookshelf Speakers , Klipsch Audio , Monitor Audio , Polk Audio , Wharfdale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page