Official Reaction Audio Thread - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1339Likes

post #1291 of 3591 Old 01-15-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Well the FedEx guy dropped off a present for me today!

Looking great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 3591 Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM
ody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

They look bigger sitting closer together than mine....
post #1293 of 3591 Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So reading some of the latest posts here and getting excited to get my cx-10s to go with the PC-15x subs but those F//L/R 15's look awesome. Then having some new 12's coming out may be a nice reason to step up to 7.1.

Anyway moved the subs around and played some. Avr eq was flat and polk rti-12s running from a yamaha m-70 and the other polks running off my denon avr 987,I saw over 120db tonight around 12' from mains and subs.
Avr sounded amazing at -10 db and -5 was awesome and at 0 I was worried what guitars were going out of tune upstairs as I heard them making noise (they all hang in a room upstairs)
Sub levels set to 12:00 position and just a little eq that Jeremy helped me set up. Anyway I have been more and more impressed with these subs every day.

Thanks again for your help Jeremy! Unparalleled customer support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 3591 Old 01-15-2015, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Very nice!
post #1295 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Joe your 15's look amazing! Remind me, did you go with the 8's for surrounds?
post #1296 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
How much space do I need to leave from the top of the speaker to the ceiling in order to give enough room for the speaker to slide on the mount? Jeremy said to leave X amount of room but I can't remember what he said.

John,

I think it's kind of difficult to use that length as it's hard to gauge exactly where the top of the speaker is in relation to the Peerless mount mounting holes as it will be at an angle when mounted. Do you have the speakers already? I think you'll see what I'm talking about when you see the mounts and speakers in person. The measurement I went by was from the middle of the upper mounting hole (on the Peerless mount) to the ceiling. That distance at the very minimum should be 9.6", but making it at least 10" or 10.5" will make getting the speaker on the mount go a lot easier. I wanted them mounted as close to the ceiling as possible for WAF/aesthetic reasons and used 9.6" but just barely got them on. I will double check this when I get home tonight, but I hope this helps.
post #1297 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:

Nice looking subs!
post #1298 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Joe your 15's look amazing! Remind me, did you go with the 8's for surrounds?
Yeah I bought two pairs of them, I only have one pair up mounted but I'll try to get a few pics up of the rear speakers. Unfortunately the rears are right above the back rows heads pointing down, but even with that said they do an amazing job at providing great rear sound affects for the back row. I've actually had a few buddies say how great it sounded.
post #1299 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Nice looking subs!
haha ... I tell you when they are cranked up it sounds and feels like I have subs going!..lol
post #1300 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 2778
Quote:
Yeah I bought two pairs of them, I only have one pair up mounted but I'll try to get a few pics up of the rear speakers. Unfortunately the rears are right above the back rows heads pointing down, but even with that said they do an amazing job at providing great rear sound affects for the back row. I've actually had a few buddies say how great it sounded.

Damn Brother...those look awesome. Look forward to reading about your ear to ear grin after you've run all three through the paces.

Enjoy
Ron

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #1301 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Jeremy, when I go over to Radian's website and look at some of the drivers that I believe you're using, in addition to providing some basic information, they also provide the frequency response with the driver in a vented box using an appropriate stock crossover (1500 Hz crossover point, 12dB/octave slope). In each of the drivers, there's a broad dip in the FR about an octave wide up to something like 1.4 kHz. Going out on a limb, I'm going to say that's possibly intentional given that these drivers were originally intended for large venue reproduction and that given that as you go up in frequency, there's more attenuation so in the end it kind of works out.

Now, in a home environment, that would not be desirable or acceptable. Earlier in this thread, you made made mention that you were playing around with capacitors to address some FR dips. I take it this is due to to the issues given above, yes? Also, later in the thread you stated that your crossovers incorporate the use of a Zobel (complex conjugate) presumably to make the speaker essentially resistive over its response.

Given all that, can you provide graphs of the FR on axis as well as off axis in something like 15 degree increments up to say 60 degrees? Also, do you have impedence plots to share? Lastly, I think, apart from fit and finish, what sort of tests do you perform to ensure quality and reproducibility?

Thanks in advance.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1302 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
??? I'm confused. These are mains? No tweeter or midrange? I've been off the forum for years until today but what am I looking at? They look cool but I'm just lost. I must be really behind these days.
post #1303 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked: 2824
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
??? I'm confused. These are mains? No tweeter or midrange? I've been off the forum for years until today but what am I looking at? They look cool but I'm just lost. I must be really behind these days.
"tweeters" are large compression drivers in the center of the woofer cone. Concentric like Kef but high efficiency and high output design.
jbrown15 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #1304 of 3591 Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Lookin' good Jbrown! Can't wait to check mine out!
post #1305 of 3591 Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Nobody Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Well I might be joining the Reaction Audio owners group soon! I'm currently working with them on cost associated with modifying the CX-8 cabinets to provide the transition all the way across the back so they will fit flush when ceiling mounted for Atmos. Hopefully this will work out as I'm also looking as expanding further to be able to support both Atmos and Auro-3D. Considering that I'll need to add 5 more speakers to add the front and rear height and the VOG (Perhaps a CX-10) speakers. I'm thinking the CX-8 is actually overkill but more is actually better, ha?
post #1306 of 3591 Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Hi Chu!

Very good questions. Let me try to address them.

You can't go by Radian's posted curves for several reasons. Those were taken with different cabinets, different port tunings, different HF elements and different crossovers (the old stock 322s?).
We don't get our crossovers from Radian, they are hand made by Frank Fazallari of Coherent Speakers in Canada. He also makes high end crossovers for Radian in some applications.

He has been working with the Radian concentrics for some years now in his own designs, which are sold regionally. You can see one of his designs featured here, just scroll down the page:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/taves_2013/part2/page2.htm
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/taves/7.html

The zobel network is his idea, which not only affects the woofer's impedance, it largely affects the high end, taming down some of the "harshness" usually associated with running horn tweeters at high volumes. If he has time, he may swing by here and give some insight. I spoke to him yesterday and he said he would try to post here but was busy building a lot of stuff this weekend.

The reason I have not posted a graph, is that being the manufacturer it will be tend to perceived as "the" graph. And we have measured indoors, outdoors, on axis, off axis and with several different mics.
However, we do not have an anechoic chamber and I am really pushing to get third party measurements done. I prefer having a third party do it as even if the manufacturer's graphs look really good, I feel it will be taken with a grain of salt until independently measured and rightfully so.

We are sending some CX-10s off to be reviewed soon and meanwhile I am searching for someone to do some testing in a real nice chamber. Finding one that won't break the bank seems to be the challenge.
I should point out that few of the passive, horn loaded loudspeakers sold in the ID market have published such graphs that you are requesting. I would love to see some published but again, having a third party do it would also give frame of reference with other loudspeakers tested under the same conditions.
So if you will be patient with us, I think we will be able to accommodate in the coming months.

Before leaving the facility we test each loudspeaker in pairs or in threes to ensure consistency. We take close mic sweeps and make sure there are no inconsistencies with crossover performance, we double check for proper phase. We then listen with program material. Each speaker usually gets played for at least an hour to break in. We find it imperative to listen to each one critically.

I will see if we can get an impedance plot soon as well. The first crossovers had a bit of an impedance dip above 15 khz and Frank was able to remedy that without making any audible changes. The reason for that was that we did not want it to "confuse" any digital amps with protection circuits, which could theoretically happen. So far, we have had minimal issues, but having the minimum impedance swing higher gives some peace of mind. I know there are a lot of four ohm speakers out there, but I feel better having the added stability as a precaution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
Jeremy, when I go over to Radian's website and look at some of the drivers that I believe you're using, in addition to providing some basic information, they also provide the frequency response with the driver in a vented box using an appropriate stock crossover (1500 Hz crossover point, 12dB/octave slope). In each of the drivers, there's a broad dip in the FR about an octave wide up to something like 1.4 kHz. Going out on a limb, I'm going to say that's possibly intentional given that these drivers were originally intended for large venue reproduction and that given that as you go up in frequency, there's more attenuation so in the end it kind of works out.

Now, in a home environment, that would not be desirable or acceptable. Earlier in this thread, you made made mention that you were playing around with capacitors to address some FR dips. I take it this is due to to the issues given above, yes? Also, later in the thread you stated that your crossovers incorporate the use of a Zobel (complex conjugate) presumably to make the speaker essentially resistive over its response.

Given all that, can you provide graphs of the FR on axis as well as off axis in something like 15 degree increments up to say 60 degrees? Also, do you have impedence plots to share? Lastly, I think, apart from fit and finish, what sort of tests do you perform to ensure quality and reproducibility?

Thanks in advance.
jbrown15, shadyJ, kma100 and 1 others like this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #1307 of 3591 Old 01-18-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Well I might be joining the Reaction Audio owners group soon! I'm currently working with them on cost associated with modifying the CX-8 cabinets to provide the transition all the way across the back so they will fit flush when ceiling mounted for Atmos. Hopefully this will work out as I'm also looking as expanding further to be able to support both Atmos and Auro-3D. Considering that I'll need to add 5 more speakers to add the front and rear height and the VOG (Perhaps a CX-10) speakers. I'm thinking the CX-8 is actually overkill but more is actually better, ha?
I specifically just came to this thread to post about a low/slim profile design of the cx8 for on ceiling atmos use. I'd love to get in on this as well! Maybe a group buy could lower the cost of modifying the design
BamaDave likes this.

post #1308 of 3591 Old 01-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Nobody Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Jeremy is checking into the cost for the modifications now so hopefully he'll know here in the near future!
mcallister likes this.
post #1309 of 3591 Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

**** CX-15 Update ****

Okay so I've had my three CX-15's up and running for my LCR's for the last three days and so far I've watched four movies with them and thought I'd give a little more feed back.
So I am currently running them EQ'd with Arc from my Anthem MRX-710 and I have them running full range EQ'd down to 25hz. And so far all I can say is holy crap do I love these speakers! I can now say that I'm a 110% happy that I went from my JTR 228's to the CX-15's. My left from speaker measured pretty much perfectly flat but the center channel and the right had a little bit of a dip in the 1500hz to 600hz range, with the right being slightly worse then the center. It's roughly about a 4dB dip, but this is totally caused by the room. The simple fact that the left speaker measures almost perfectly flat only goes to prove that point. And once Arc is engaged the dip is almost completely gone.

I also now have my CX-8's mounted in their permanent spot in the back or the room and I'm just waiting for my last pair of side CX-8's go come in. I have to say that the CX-8's are a really impressive little speaker and I'm amazed at how well they measure. Any JTR or Seaton guys that are considering buying CX-8's for surrounds do not hesitate about them. They sound fantastic and of course Jeremy offering free return shipping "IF" you weren't happy with them makes them a no brainer IMHO.

So last night I watched the new war movie "Fury" and I'm still amazed at the soundstage that the CX-15's can throw, adding the center CX-15 only made it that much better. They image extremely well and voices and dialogue come through effortlessly, and of course the sheer amount of bass coming from them during explosions again is crazy. Of course I miss not having subs for the really low LFE stuff and I'm still about a month away from getting my dual PS218x's I have to say that having the CX-15's makes the waiting a little easier on me!....lol

Like I've mentioned in the past, anyone located out in the Pacific Northwest interested in hearing the Cx-15's or CX-8's please feel free to send me a pm to make arrangements to come over and have a listen for yourself.
Cobb28 and Sean Spamilton like this.
post #1310 of 3591 Old 01-18-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
Quote:
**** CX-15 Update ****

Okay so I've had my three CX-15's up and running for my LCR's for the last three days and so far I've watched four movies with them and thought I'd give a little more feed back.
So I am currently running them EQ'd with Arc from my Anthem MRX-710 and I have them running full range EQ'd down to 25hz. And so far all I can say is holy crap do I love these speakers! I can now say that I'm a 110% happy that I went from my JTR 228's to the CX-15's. My left from speaker measured pretty much perfectly flat but the center channel and the right had a little bit of a dip in the 1500hz to 600hz range, with the right being slightly worse then the center. It's roughly about a 4dB dip, but this is totally caused by the room. The simple fact that the left speaker measures almost perfectly flat only goes to prove that point. And once Arc is engaged the dip is almost completely gone.

I also now have my CX-8's mounted in their permanent spot in the back or the room and I'm just waiting for my last pair of side CX-8's go come in. I have to say that the CX-8's are a really impressive little speaker and I'm amazed at how well they measure. Any JTR or Seaton guys that are considering buying CX-8's for surrounds do not hesitate about them. They sound fantastic and of course Jeremy offering free return shipping "IF" you weren't happy with them makes them a no brainer IMHO.

So last night I watched the new war movie "Fury" and I'm still amazed at the soundstage that the CX-15's can throw, adding the center CX-15 only made it that much better. They image extremely well and voices and dialogue come through effortlessly, and of course the sheer amount of bass coming from them during explosions again is crazy. Of course I miss not having subs for the really low LFE stuff and I'm still about a month away from getting my dual PS218x's I have to say that having the CX-15's makes the waiting a little easier on me!....lol

Like I've mentioned in the past, anyone located out in the Pacific Northwest interested in hearing the Cx-15's or CX-8's please feel free to send me a pm to make arrangements to come over and have a listen for yourself.
I need to drop by and see if your drinking too much of the koola8d. Love to hear em.
post #1311 of 3591 Old 01-18-2015, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
I need to drop by and see if your drinking too much of the koola8d. Love to hear em.
Well it's not like you have a long drive to get here!.....lol
chalugadp likes this.
post #1312 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
**** CX-15 Update ****

Glad to hear you like the CX-15's so much Joe. I wish I had the space for them in my room, maybe someday in a future house! Lol.

Oh and I totally agree about the CX-8's sounding great - they have done nothing but surprise me since I got them. I started using mine as mains in a secondary 2.1 system I have going in a small bedroom and I am really enjoying what they can do in there, very nice. This has also reminded me how large a jump they were for surrounds as I decided hook up my old polk surrounds while waiting for my next order of CX-8's, they can't keep up with my CX-10's at all!

Anyway, sounds like you are really enjoying the CX speakers, glad to hear it.
post #1313 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do it man! I think they even have a new crossover since you heard them at the GTG right? Sounds like this needs to be top priority in life for you at the moment, I'm sure your wife will understand.
post #1314 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
I specifically just came to this thread to post about a low/slim profile design of the cx8 for on ceiling atmos use. I'd love to get in on this as well! Maybe a group buy could lower the cost of modifying the design
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Jeremy is checking into the cost for the modifications now so hopefully he'll know here in the near future!
Should be about a 100-150 dollar up-charge per speaker.

Dave has the idea of making the back straight with an angled front for his room, but I kinda like the idea of making the box square and roughly 7" deep. that way you could use a swivel mount to orient the speaker to whatever angle was desired.

The stock CX-8 has great versatility but of course we can accommodate some custom stuff from time to time.

Jeremy

post #1315 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We send it along with the speakers, spiked with Vodka.

He thinks they sound great but has no idea why he has a headache the next day!
rboster and chalugadp like this.

Jeremy

post #1316 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I thought it might be easier if I replied within the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
Hi Chu!

Very good questions. Let me try to address them.

You can't go by Radian's posted curves for several reasons. Those were taken with different cabinets, different port tunings, different HF elements and different crossovers (the old stock 322s?).
We don't get our crossovers from Radian, they are hand made by Frank Fazallari of Coherent Speakers in Canada. He also makes high end crossovers for Radian in some applications.

He has been working with the Radian concentrics for some years now in his own designs, which are sold regionally. You can see one of his designs featured here, just scroll down the page:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/taves_2013/part2/page2.htm
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/taves/7.html

Well, it's not like Radian provided much more than a FR graph as a general FYI for prospective customers. Kind of like if you use this driver using one of our stock crossovers in such and such a cabinet it'll look like this graph. Well, at least on axis it will. 

The most impressive part of his designs is the cabinet shape and finish. Should help to improve margins at the expense of volume. Haven't heard much from them since those articles a couple of years ago.

Regardless, there is an anomaly spanning about an octave that's troubling in Radian's sundry curves, the magnitude of which is audible. It's in an area where just futzing with box dimensions or port tuning just isnt going to have an effect. In the following post, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post28606193, you acknowledge something is amiss. I believe it was JBrown who recently posted that when he ran ARC, he observed an issue with a dip from his center and right speaker. This he attributed to the room but given the above, how can it not be said to be the speaker?

The zobel network is his idea, which not only affects the woofer's impedance, it largely affects the high end, taming down some of the "harshness" usually associated with running horn tweeters at high volumes. If he has time, he may swing by here and give some insight. I spoke to him yesterday and he said he would try to post here but was busy building a lot of stuff this weekend.

The responses of most compression drivers gets ratty somewhere around 18 kHz and folks like Earl Geddes are of the opinion that it doesn't matter much seeing as how when you go up in frequency there's less and less musical information. Coupled with our decreased sensitivity, I don't see it as a significant issue. So, I have no idea just what he's talking about in terms of harshness. High power for a home application is a bit different than high power for large venue uses.

The reason I have not posted a graph, is that being the manufacturer it will be tend to perceived as "the" graph. And we have measured indoors, outdoors, on axis, off axis and with several different mics. 
However, we do not have an anechoic chamber and I am really pushing to get third party measurements done. I prefer having a third party do it as even if the manufacturer's graphs look really good, I feel it will be taken with a grain of salt until independently measured and rightfully so.

We are sending some CX-10s off to be reviewed soon and meanwhile I am searching for someone to do some testing in a real nice chamber. Finding one that won't break the bank seems to be the challenge.

Being the manufacturer, you're supposed to be "the" graph. If you can't trust your own measurements, then how can you trust changes or modifications you implement now or in the future? It's not like using concentrics makes the task harder. It's easier. For that matter, how does one issue written specifications if they may be subject to revision by some third party?

Also, since when does one need an anechoic chamber to do measurements. Quasi anechoic using gated techniques gives essentially the same results except for the bottom end. And then you can always 'derive' the bottom end response using T/S parameters or close mic responses and splice it all together. If everyone that was out there making speakers had to rely on anechoic chambers, you'd never see any measurements. Further seeing pics of where the speakers are made, you've got a lot of room to work with which will mitigate reflections.

I should point out that few of the passive, horn loaded loudspeakers sold in the ID market have published such graphs that you are requesting. I would love to see some published but again, having a third party do it would also give frame of reference with other loudspeakers tested under the same conditions.
So if you will be patient with us, I think we will be able to accommodate in the coming months.

HSU has them. So does PSA. Even the much maligned, and rightfully so, ED did. Chase had them with his SHO. And they're typically done by the more serious amateurs in the DIY forums at sundry websites. The question becomes, why not RA? If we're to wait for a GroupOn buy for anechoic chambers, it'll never happen. But it's not just the on axis that's interesting, it's what is happening off axis? Radian says they give 90 degree coverage but that's not plus or minus 90 degrees. It's more like give or take 45. So, for the home user, such information is important. It'll give them some sense of the coverage they can expect at the listening position, whether the speaker is the right choice for their environment, should they be toed in, etc.

Before leaving the facility we test each loudspeaker in pairs or in threes to ensure consistency. We take close mic sweeps and make sure there are no inconsistencies with crossover performance, we double check for proper phase. We then listen with program material. Each speaker usually gets played for at least an hour to break in. We find it imperative to listen to each one critically.

I don't see how testing in multiples is going to effectively address crossover performance. If you're going to test each speaker, why not set up a measurement area? If you've got three models, have a jig with three microphone positions and then run the quasi anechoic? I don't know what your volume is, but I can't help to think there's a cheaper and quicker way to make the crossovers than having that dude in Canada make them, by hand I assume.

I will see if we can get an impedance plot soon as well. The first crossovers had a bit of an impedance dip above 15 khz and Frank was able to remedy that without making any audible changes. The reason for that was that we did not want it to "confuse" any digital amps with protection circuits, which could theoretically happen. So far, we have had minimal issues, but having the minimum impedance swing higher gives some peace of mind. I know there are a lot of four ohm speakers out there, but I feel better having the added stability as a precaution.

Must've been one hell of a dip! Will be interesting to see the impedance profile.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1317 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Chu Gai, couple quick points. In regards to my measurements like you said its the room causing the dip that I have and it's easy to see that it's the room. Every speaker that I've measured in my room has had similar results for the right speaker and center channel while the left speaker always measures much much better. The RA speakers are no different then what I experienced with my JTR's, the Tempest's and 1099's that I've measured.

Second point is in regards to the other companies that you've said do have measurements on there speakers. Could you please point me in the direction of these measurements because I don't see them listed on their webpages. I just checked both HSU and PSA and neither have posted measurements on their speakers.

Nor do I see any from JTR, Seaton, SVS but I will say that Ascend Acoustics has some up.

***edit***
Actually from doing a quick search it appears that a large majority of ID speakers companies don't have any measurements up on their websites for their speakers.

Last edited by jbrown15; 01-19-2015 at 10:45 AM.
post #1318 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again, what do those responses with a different HF diaphragm and a different crossover have to do with anything?

"The most impressive part of his designs is the cabinet shape and finish. "

And who are you quoting here? Who are you getting to weigh in on my designs?

Or are you speaking in the third person?

I have a feeling if I had a graph of the three speakers I would swear by, within 1 db that you would be asking for third party measurements to verify would you not? I want anechoic chamber measurements because they are extremely accurate. We take dozens of measures in multiple environments which is where our speakers will end up. You are asking for things not provided by my competitors.

FR snapshots in different environments and different test conditions vary greatly especially in loudspeakers and anyone that tells you differently has not taken much time measuring speakers.

"HSU has them. So does PSA. Even the much maligned, and rightfully so, ED did. Chase had them with his SHO. "

Where?
I see no graphs for the MT series speakers? None for the HB series? None were ever posted for the ED cinema series horn loaded that I remember, and I don't recall ever seeing one for the SHO-10 either. I saw plenty of sims and customer responses. I don't even see graphs for JTR?

The CX-15t was measured (not by ARC) in Joe's room by Ryan (tuxedocivic) designer of the 1099.
His measurements revealed none of the abnormalities you were inferring from Radian's curves. In fact it was flatter than two of his designs (not by much, his are pretty incredible designs too) and the 228.
What I referenced earlier was a 1 db increase in overall treble.

My stance is that customer impressions and in-room measurements will reveal what my speakers actually do. And beyond that, third party testing is coming to provide complete and verifiable data.
Period.

"The responses of most compression drivers gets ratty somewhere around 18 kHz and folks like Earl Geddes are of the opinion that it doesn't matter much seeing as how when you go up in frequency there's less and less musical information. Coupled with our decreased sensitivity, I don't see it as a significant issue. So, I have no idea just what he's talking about in terms of harshness. High power for a home application is a bit different than high power for large venue uses."

The Zobel network makes a DRASTIC difference. Anyone who does not take my word for it is welcome to take it out of the crossover path of their CX series speaker. I can walk you through it and it will only take a small screwdriver. It is VERY noticeable and not subtle in the least.

Jeremy

post #1319 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can we get a separate RA Debate thread for nitpicking? Legitimate concern is one thing, but I feel as though Jeremy is trying to be as informative and honest as possible about his product and doing so invites added opportunities for endless what ifs and whys concerning everything under the sun when he could be concentrating on making and improving his products. I'm always hoping to read real world reviews, impressions, room layouts, setup images, etc. At this rate we'll see questions like "this manufacturer tests speakers at 75°F...you said your room was cold during the winter months...how cold and why?" If you don't like the product feel free to leave a review. If you don't like the way he wears his collector's edition Michael Jackson gloves when assembling the speakers...we don't want to hear it, don't buy it, buy something else and nitpick in their official thread. As someone with high interest in this product it pains me to see the guy taking time to respond to some of the posts. Better man than I.
rboster, jbrown15, NWCgrad and 2 others like this.
post #1320 of 3591 Old 01-19-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL! That sure escalated quickly, and included tons of misinformation to boot! Poor Jeremy.

You would be well served to do simple fact checks on the easily verifiable things before posting, such as PSA and HSU posting their own speaker measurements. If you easily misconstrue even the most basic of facts such as these you lose all credibility going into the opinionated subject matter... Notes for the future I suppose.

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 01-19-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page