Official Reaction Audio Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1339Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2791 of 3591 Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Member
 
SolRage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post
Yours are done and being boxed up in the am, first thing. We had to endure a bit of a wait on some of the Radian stuff but it looks like they are back in full swing now. Things have been slightly varied since Mark Pinske left and we are just now getting our rythym back with them.

We have a ton of speakers going out tomorrow (and Monday too) and Ricks towers are at the very top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Thanks.
SolRage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2792 of 3591 Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FattyMcButterPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,660
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Im sure I will

from what I have heard...all these top end speakers are very difficult to tell which is truly better...they have such subtle differences

CX-12's
MTM210's
228HT's
1099's

all blind tested
Absolutely. In my experience with similar speakers it comes down to personal preference more than anything else. It's all about the application.
FattyMcButterPants is offline  
post #2793 of 3591 Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Magibeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Absolutely. In my experience with similar speakers it comes down to personal preference more than anything else. It's all about the application.
Until you step up to the CX-15's
Magibeg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2794 of 3591 Old 09-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've had my CX10's up and running for about a week now. They sat in a box for about two weeks, as life has been busy and I simply haven't had time to open them up and give their proper respect. This is my first review. Be kind. It will be somewhat brief an not very technical, but you can get the vibe.

Packaging:
The CX10's arrived in a sturdy cardboard box that was well packaged. One of the boxes had a small tear but no damage was done to the speakers themselves. The speakers themselves were encased in a styrofoam that protected the speaker well with no damage.

Speaker Asthetics:
Some have complained about "seams" or imperfections in the speakers. I found the finish to be pretty darn good for the price point. There were VERY small imperfections, only evident in certain light. The seams were visible only if you were actually inspecting for them. They didn't bother me and my girlfriend was amazed when I told her these weren't your typical "mass produced speaker." When taken completely out of the box, I was amazed at the sheer size of these babies. VERY sturdy and good weight for their size. Very imposing in the room.

Initial Setup:
Set up out of the box was straight forward. I connected these using pre-existing Monster (I know, I know) cable wire and applied blu tac on Dayton speaker stands. The stands have a nice industrial finish and set firmly and securely on the carpet. The speakers appear sturdy and blend

Sound:
I hooked these bad boys up and initially...no sound out of the R speaker. My initial thought was a bad wire or a bad input in the AVR. After some re-connections, I still had a dead speaker. My fear became a realization when I plugged in my old speaker and it worked like a champ. Panic set in. I immediately called Jeremy. I couldn't believe the weeks of waiting had led to this. Jeremy called me back as I was leaving a message. Apparently, one of the wires on the inside had jarred loose. A phillips head and four screws and a clamp later, I had sound! Jeremy recommended a break in period to allow those rigid drivers/tweeters to loosen up.

I'm probably 20 hours in and man oh man. These things are a work of awesomeness. Jeremy and his team have hit a home run. My previous Energy Veritas 6.2 towers were good speakers. They sounded good to my ears and produced rich, full sound. The 10's, especially for their size, produce a tremendous punchy bass in my setup. It seems as if a veil has been lifted and voices/dialogue seem closer. Imagine if a voice was 10 ft away on my old speakers. It now seems as if it is 5 feet away. There's a certain cleanliness and "airness" (for lack of a better word) that the 10's produce that my old speakers simply didn't have. They seemed very boxy and boomy with distortion at certain levels.

Watching The Hobbit, there was a voice that literally startled me. It seemed as if the dwarf itself was in the room speaking. My dad was helping with the setup and we both smiled in amazement. Amazing clarity. I just can't seem to get over the clarity. That's the word that continues to come to mind. Swords clanged. Arrows buzzed. Trolls thumped. All of these sounds blended perfectly with my PSA V1500.

I demo'd the train wreck scene from Super 8. It was a sonic assault on my ears. The 10's played loud, bold, and detailed, while drawing me into the movie. Explosions and the sound of metal filled the room. My girlfriend wanted to continue watching this movie and literally had a smile plastered on her face. I recommend putting your speakers through their paces with this scene/film.

My girlfriend and I love watching Paranormal Witness on the SyFy network Wednesdays at 10:00pm EST. It's a pretty well done re-enactment show dealing with paranormal events. Sounds of the supernatural made the show even creepier when played through the CX10's. Ghostly whispers and demonic voices came to life and added a creep factor not felt in my previous speakers. Although these are rated as "high efficiency" speakers, I'm amazed at the subtleties these speakers are able to pick up.

Music of all genres (country, pop, rap, etc) just comes to life. Vocals are amazing and instruments play loud without distortion. I can only crank these guys to about -10 before I start to give my ears a good bleeding.

Final Thoughts:
Just an amazing speaker when you think of the price to performance ratio. I'm a younger audiophile and admittedly haven't heard that many speakers. I can honestly say these are the best speakers I've heard in my setup. Jeremy and his team are continuing to deliver quality products and I have no issues whatsoever recommending these to any prospective buyers. Jeremy is a class act and a pleasure to deal with. Do yourself a favor and try these out. You will not be disappointed. Sorry if this wasn't very technical. As I being to tamper with these more and continue allowing them to open up, I can post more specific settings and measurements. Thanks for reading!
chucky7, mikela, jbrown15 and 4 others like this.
UNCMT9 is offline  
post #2795 of 3591 Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
rush2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 101
As some may know I own one of the first pairs of CX-15 (ferrari red)

Well today I decided to upgrade the internals a bit / re-tighten all connections.

I opened them up and replaced all the interconnecting wires with new 12 gauge stranded wire, and new disconnect connectors. Then while installing them I made sure to secure them extra well using the proper crimping tool on the spade connections.

Not only did this cure the small crackling in the one tweeter (loose connection from transportation and subwoofer rattling), but I think it really improved the transient response, they gained 3dB across the spectrum (db meter) , and my mind is now at rest that I installed the replacement crossovers, that I had installed so long ago, are now installed to the best of my ability.



The CX-15T's truely are great speakers.... Having a blast doing critical listening sessions all over again. Just have to scrounge up the funds to replace my rear and center with them as well.
rush2049 is offline  
post #2796 of 3591 Old 09-20-2015, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
As some may know I own one of the first pairs of CX-15 (ferrari red)

Well today I decided to upgrade the internals a bit / re-tighten all connections.

I opened them up and replaced all the interconnecting wires with new 12 gauge stranded wire, and new disconnect connectors. Then while installing them I made sure to secure them extra well using the proper crimping tool on the spade connections.

Not only did this cure the small crackling in the one tweeter (loose connection from transportation and subwoofer rattling), but I think it really improved the transient response, they gained 3dB across the spectrum (db meter) , and my mind is now at rest that I installed the replacement crossovers, that I had installed so long ago, are now installed to the best of my ability.



The CX-15T's truely are great speakers.... Having a blast doing critical listening sessions all over again. Just have to scrounge up the funds to replace my rear and center with them as well.

I wish my story had a good ending like yours.

Weeks ago when I first received my cx-10 I had to open it up due to the way fedex man handled the box. What I found inside was a wire that came off the tweeters positive lead and the crossover which is normally attached with a few screws was completely stripped off the back of the speaker. Also, one of the coils on the crossover was partially unwound. So I got it all put back and it sounded great.

Last night it started to sound bad, and I mean real bad, so I went to have a look. It seems that the coil that had come undone is now partially coming off the crossover board
DotJun is offline  
post #2797 of 3591 Old 09-20-2015, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
If you haven't contacted Jeremy already, you need to. He will make it right.
Soulburner is online now  
post #2798 of 3591 Old 09-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
rush2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Yea definitely give jeremy a call, he'll make it right.
rush2049 is offline  
post #2799 of 3591 Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I wish my story had a good ending like yours.

Weeks ago when I first received my cx-10 I had to open it up due to the way fedex man handled the box. What I found inside was a wire that came off the tweeters positive lead and the crossover which is normally attached with a few screws was completely stripped off the back of the speaker. Also, one of the coils on the crossover was partially unwound. So I got it all put back and it sounded great.

Last night it started to sound bad, and I mean real bad, so I went to have a look. It seems that the coil that had come undone is now partially coming off the crossover board
Well get you set up Jun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #2800 of 3591 Old 09-20-2015, 06:22 PM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
As some may know I own one of the first pairs of CX-15 (ferrari red)

Well today I decided to upgrade the internals a bit / re-tighten all connections.

I opened them up and replaced all the interconnecting wires with new 12 gauge stranded wire, and new disconnect connectors. Then while installing them I made sure to secure them extra well using the proper crimping tool on the spade connections.

Not only did this cure the small crackling in the one tweeter (loose connection from transportation and subwoofer rattling), but I think it really improved the transient response, they gained 3dB across the spectrum (db meter) , and my mind is now at rest that I installed the replacement crossovers, that I had installed so long ago, are now installed to the best of my ability.



The CX-15T's truely are great speakers.... Having a blast doing critical listening sessions all over again. Just have to scrounge up the funds to replace my rear and center with them as well.
Wow that's great to hear.

Nice job taking the initiative.
Mfusick is offline  
post #2801 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
 
stsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Adam, I think you're posting in the wrong thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
stsand is offline  
post #2802 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Docethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I have been following the Boston GTG speaker thread and now wondering if anyone else has heard direct comparison of the CX10 vs CX12? It sounds like those CX12s mentioned prob had the same crossover issue that I am experiencing, but just wanted to hear more impressions of the 12s vs the 10s because I would like trade my 10s for the 12s but that review had me second guessing the swap. Thanks!
Docethic is offline  
post #2803 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
I have been following the Boston GTG speaker thread and now wondering if anyone else has heard direct comparison of the CX10 vs CX12? It sounds like those CX12s mentioned prob had the same crossover issue that I am experiencing, but just wanted to hear more impressions of the 12s vs the 10s because I would like trade my 10s for the 12s but that review had me second guessing the swap. Thanks!
They did. There were 6 of those crossovers. You got 2, that owner got 2 and I have 2 here. Luckily I was able to recrrate your issues with the ones I have.

Very unfortunate but glad we were able to figure out the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #2804 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
stsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Docethic, you should go back and re-read that thread. Jeremy posted in that thread that there's clearly an issue with the crossover.
The CX-10 is a great speaker. I've heard it and the CX15 as well. I've not heard the CX-12.
If you can afford it, and space is not an issue, the 12s are the way to go - based on my experience with the other two models.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by stsand; 09-21-2015 at 05:37 AM.
stsand is offline  
post #2805 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Docethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the thread and the crossover issue, it just seems like the CX15s are the undisputed choice if funds allow, and the cx10s get a lot of love for the size and price, but there is not nearly as much feedback on the 12s. Just want to make sure that the reason for the GTG preference was only due to the crossover.
Docethic is offline  
post #2806 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Magibeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the thread and the crossover issue, it just seems like the CX15s are the undisputed choice if funds allow, and the cx10s get a lot of love for the size and price, but there is not nearly as much feedback on the 12s. Just want to make sure that the reason for the GTG preference was only due to the crossover.
If you can accommodate the 15's than those are definitely the way to go.

You have to realize that the 12's are relatively new compared to the other models and were only recently added so there are less of them in the wild. They did sound really nice however when I heard them
Magibeg is offline  
post #2807 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lz7j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
I have been following the Boston GTG speaker thread and now wondering if anyone else has heard direct comparison of the CX10 vs CX12? It sounds like those CX12s mentioned prob had the same crossover issue that I am experiencing, but just wanted to hear more impressions of the 12s vs the 10s because I would like trade my 10s for the 12s but that review had me second guessing the swap. Thanks!
I own the CX12's, along with the 10's and 15's. @Magibeg has CX15's and the 10's for his surrounds and has also heard my CX12's.
Unless you specifically want a tower format, going from the 10's to 12's is something I would consider an incremental upgrade.
As I've previously stated in this thread, if I had known the 15's were that much better initially, I wouldn't own the CX12's. I'll be posting my 3 x CX12's for sale soon.
lz7j is offline  
post #2808 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
If you haven't contacted Jeremy already, you need to. He will make it right.

I didn't even have to write or call him. When I woke up, Jeremy had already called and left me a voicemail. This guy is top notch with his customer service!
mikela likes this.
DotJun is offline  
post #2809 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the thread and the crossover issue, it just seems like the CX15s are the undisputed choice if funds allow, and the cx10s get a lot of love for the size and price, but there is not nearly as much feedback on the 12s. Just want to make sure that the reason for the GTG preference was only due to the crossover.
Yes. Unfortunately there is an improoerly comnected trace in the boards on six crossovers. We should have caught it.
Creates a big suckout of overall level and sounds just a little "off".

It also shut down one of our receivers when cranked.

The xovers sound great nornally. Just a littke human error here. Had to step up the pre ship testing ritual now, even though it was a freak occurance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #2810 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
stsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
I own the CX12's, along with the 10's and 15's. @Magibeg has CX15's and the 10's for his surrounds and has also heard my CX12's.
Unless you specifically want a tower format, going from the 10's to 12's is something I would consider an incremental upgrade.
As I've previously stated in this thread, if I had known the 15's were that much better initially, I wouldn't own the CX12's. I'll be posting my 3 x CX12's for sale soon.
Again, this reinforces the idea that there's no substitute for being able to hear the speakers.
My "guesstimation" would appear to be inaccurate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
stsand is offline  
post #2811 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Magibeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsand View Post
Again, this reinforces the idea that there's no substitute for being able to hear the speakers.
My "guesstimation" would appear to be inaccurate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The 15's have a larger compression driver compared to the cx-12's and 10's which share the same one, which gives them very similar voicing. There is something special about the "size" of the 15's. My sitting position isn't ideal (far from it unfortunately) but it's extremely hard for me to tell which speaker is playing, just that certain sounds come from certain directions.
Magibeg is offline  
post #2812 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
In regards to the recent GTG in MA I wanted to make sure I clarify myself since this is still the source of much debate it seems.

In admitting that we sent Ryanboston a pair of crossovers that did not meet spec we did open ourselves up for a little critique because that was something that slipped past QC. But I do believe in honesty and transparency and that the most important part of me pointing all this out was not so much how well they were perceived in a GTG but to make sure the customer got what he paid for.

I am not certain having the CX 12 operating at 100 percent would have changed the outcome. It definitely would have had a better shot and was certainly handicapped, but you just have no way of knowing at this point. It's all an "if". Being that the "matching" CX-10 did incredibly well and was received with good impressions indicates things may have been different. But that's not really the big deal here.
The big deal is making sure the problem is taken care of and the customer is happy.
If we wanted a better shot, it would have benefited us to have gotten the qc right no?
No crying foul unless it's on ourselves.

Sometimes things happen that are unfortunate, human beings make a mistake etc.
But often times something like this on a small scale will give a chance to improve things on a large scale.
We are constantly improving things here. For example the addition of edge protectors on Freight shipments, extra bubble wrap on the AC cables etc... all stemmed from learning early on what we needed to tweak.

We can tweak our QC steps and guidelines to catch more things but it's hard to hit the reset button on how you treat others. Knowing Ryan's speakers must have had an issue, I could not go without saying anything. We have to take care of them and be honest with the participants.

Sorry if this caused any controversy. We like to be straight up and honest even if it puts us in a vulnerable spot.
chucky7, smit1001, Magibeg and 2 others like this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #2813 of 3591 Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMT9 View Post
I've had my CX10's up and running for about a week now. They sat in a box for about two weeks, as life has been busy and I simply haven't had time to open them up and give their proper respect. This is my first review. Be kind. It will be somewhat brief an not very technical, but you can get the vibe.

Packaging:
The CX10's arrived in a sturdy cardboard box that was well packaged. One of the boxes had a small tear but no damage was done to the speakers themselves. The speakers themselves were encased in a styrofoam that protected the speaker well with no damage.

Speaker Asthetics:
Some have complained about "seams" or imperfections in the speakers. I found the finish to be pretty darn good for the price point. There were VERY small imperfections, only evident in certain light. The seams were visible only if you were actually inspecting for them. They didn't bother me and my girlfriend was amazed when I told her these weren't your typical "mass produced speaker." When taken completely out of the box, I was amazed at the sheer size of these babies. VERY sturdy and good weight for their size. Very imposing in the room.

Initial Setup:
Set up out of the box was straight forward. I connected these using pre-existing Monster (I know, I know) cable wire and applied blu tac on Dayton speaker stands. The stands have a nice industrial finish and set firmly and securely on the carpet. The speakers appear sturdy and blend

Sound:
I hooked these bad boys up and initially...no sound out of the R speaker. My initial thought was a bad wire or a bad input in the AVR. After some re-connections, I still had a dead speaker. My fear became a realization when I plugged in my old speaker and it worked like a champ. Panic set in. I immediately called Jeremy. I couldn't believe the weeks of waiting had led to this. Jeremy called me back as I was leaving a message. Apparently, one of the wires on the inside had jarred loose. A phillips head and four screws and a clamp later, I had sound! Jeremy recommended a break in period to allow those rigid drivers/tweeters to loosen up.

I'm probably 20 hours in and man oh man. These things are a work of awesomeness. Jeremy and his team have hit a home run. My previous Energy Veritas 6.2 towers were good speakers. They sounded good to my ears and produced rich, full sound. The 10's, especially for their size, produce a tremendous punchy bass in my setup. It seems as if a veil has been lifted and voices/dialogue seem closer. Imagine if a voice was 10 ft away on my old speakers. It now seems as if it is 5 feet away. There's a certain cleanliness and "airness" (for lack of a better word) that the 10's produce that my old speakers simply didn't have. They seemed very boxy and boomy with distortion at certain levels.

Watching The Hobbit, there was a voice that literally startled me. It seemed as if the dwarf itself was in the room speaking. My dad was helping with the setup and we both smiled in amazement. Amazing clarity. I just can't seem to get over the clarity. That's the word that continues to come to mind. Swords clanged. Arrows buzzed. Trolls thumped. All of these sounds blended perfectly with my PSA V1500.

I demo'd the train wreck scene from Super 8. It was a sonic assault on my ears. The 10's played loud, bold, and detailed, while drawing me into the movie. Explosions and the sound of metal filled the room. My girlfriend wanted to continue watching this movie and literally had a smile plastered on her face. I recommend putting your speakers through their paces with this scene/film.

My girlfriend and I love watching Paranormal Witness on the SyFy network Wednesdays at 10:00pm EST. It's a pretty well done re-enactment show dealing with paranormal events. Sounds of the supernatural made the show even creepier when played through the CX10's. Ghostly whispers and demonic voices came to life and added a creep factor not felt in my previous speakers. Although these are rated as "high efficiency" speakers, I'm amazed at the subtleties these speakers are able to pick up.

Music of all genres (country, pop, rap, etc) just comes to life. Vocals are amazing and instruments play loud without distortion. I can only crank these guys to about -10 before I start to give my ears a good bleeding.

Final Thoughts:
Just an amazing speaker when you think of the price to performance ratio. I'm a younger audiophile and admittedly haven't heard that many speakers. I can honestly say these are the best speakers I've heard in my setup. Jeremy and his team are continuing to deliver quality products and I have no issues whatsoever recommending these to any prospective buyers. Jeremy is a class act and a pleasure to deal with. Do yourself a favor and try these out. You will not be disappointed. Sorry if this wasn't very technical. As I being to tamper with these more and continue allowing them to open up, I can post more specific settings and measurements. Thanks for reading!
Thanks for the kind words!
smit1001 and Magibeg like this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is offline  
post #2814 of 3591 Old 09-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Member
 
drunk_goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey guys, still at it, thanks for all the help before with my Audyssey issues.

I've since broken in the speakers some and moved my furniture around.

Running Audyssey my x-overs have drop from 120 to 80, and the multeq looks better than it did before.

My problem i think is that the trim levels for my CX-15ts are -12 & -11db

I'm assuming this is a not-ideal and the issue is with running 99db CX-15's and 87db Onkyo bookshelves speakers.

Thanks for helping a noob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_003217.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	956666   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_003203.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	956674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_003153.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	956682   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_003142.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	956690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150922_003037.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	956698  

drunk_goat is offline  
post #2815 of 3591 Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
How powerful is your AVR/Amp?

With my Denon X4000, Audyssey sets my CX-10s at -1 and +1 and crossover at 60 (I do bump it to 80), and they are 2-3 feet out from the wall so they aren't even getting as much boundary gain there.

-12 is the max so you really want to fiddle with this and bring that down.

If yours are real close to a wall, can you pull them out a bit?

Last edited by Soulburner; 09-22-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #2816 of 3591 Old 09-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Member
 
drunk_goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
How powerful is your AVR/Amp?

With my Denon X4000, Audyssey sets my CX-10s at -1 and +1 and crossover at 60, and they are 2-3 feet out from the wall so they aren't even getting as much boundary gain there.

-12 is the max so you really want to fiddle with this and bring that down.

If yours are real close to a wall, can you pull them out a bit?
Running a Marantz av7702 & Outlaw 5000 power amp, should be plenty power for everything. CX-15's are probably 2 feet off wall. I don't think I can move them forward much more.
drunk_goat is offline  
post #2817 of 3591 Old 09-22-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
The Outlaw is the problem. You'll need to either eliminate that or install an attenuator in-line.

Is the amp set at its lowest level?

Your speakers only need 1 watt to produce 99db at 1 meter so any AVR can easily drive them to reference level.

http://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

User @gadgtfreek has direct experience with this. He may be able to offer advice.

Last edited by Soulburner; 09-22-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
post #2818 of 3591 Old 09-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Member
 
drunk_goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
The Outlaw is the problem. You'll need to either eliminate that or install an attenuator in-line.

Is the amp set at its lowest level?

Your speakers only need 1 watt to produce 99db at 1 meter so any AVR can easily drive them to reference level.

http://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

User @gadgtfreek has direct experience with this. He may be able to offer advice.
Thanks for input Soulburner, I'm saving money up for more efficient surrounds, wouldn't that balance out the discrepancy?

Are attenuators expensive? They don't color the signal any do they?
drunk_goat is offline  
post #2819 of 3591 Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
The issue is the sensitivity differences between the different speakers. I have ano AV7702 and had the same until I replaced my surrounds with one's nearly as sensitive as my maiden speakers.

In line attenuation can resolve this issue. It should be noted that Audyssey can actually provide full correction even at -12 (search the epic audyssey thread). All you need to do is use an SPL meter to ensure all the speakers are set at the same level.

I have in line attenuators I can send you if you give me a PM.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #2820 of 3591 Old 09-22-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
That makes a lot of sense.

My worry is that at -12, you can't tell if Audyssey identified that you really needed -15 but ran out of adjustment, so they may not be level matched. Of course, it could boost the surrounds 3db in that case. I don't know if Audyssey does that, but you will want to check them to make sure they are all level matched. If they are, there's no need to worry.

Last edited by Soulburner; 09-22-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Soulburner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off