Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9482Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5821 of 8880 Old 11-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
MysticalJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped16 View Post
Awesome, great advice guys appreciate it. I think i'm leaning towards 210's fronts 110 for surrounds but gradually increase not all one shot lol. Also I hear great things about the PSA subs so ill be figuring out what subs best for the space that I have.
you are making a great decision !
MysticalJet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5822 of 8880 Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Bill Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southeastern WI
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped16 View Post
Awesome, great advice guys appreciate it. I think i'm leaning towards 210's fronts 110 for surrounds but gradually increase not all one shot lol. Also I hear great things about the PSA subs so ill be figuring out what subs best for the space that I have.
I don't think you'd be disappointed with 110's all around. Buying the 210's to begin with will definitely make sure you don't second guess yourself. 110's might make you have the 'if these are this awesome, what are the 210's like?' feeling so buying 210's up front will prevent you from wanting to upgrade right away. But the 110's are no slouch by any means, I really do think you'll be happy with either!
If space and money aren't factors, I say go with the 210's and be done with it. But don't just take measurements for size. Try and build a cardboard box the size of the 210's and place them where you want the speakers. They are big speakers and require room for placement, you wouldn't want to buy them and then realize you can't fit them.
Again, you'll be happy with either so don't limit yourself if you don't have to but also don't worry if you can't fit the 210's. The 110's are fantastic too!
MysticalJet and Hopinater like this.

__________________________
Current setup: PSA MT-110 L/R, PSA MT-110c center, PSA MT-110sr surround, Dual PSA v3600 subs, Denon x4200w Receiver
Bill Kentucky is offline  
post #5823 of 8880 Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,836
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked: 11276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kentucky View Post
I don't think you'd be disappointed with 110's all around. Buying the 210's to begin with will definitely make sure you don't second guess yourself. 110's might make you have the 'if these are this awesome, what are the 210's like?' feeling so buying 210's up front will prevent you from wanting to upgrade right away. But the 110's are no slouch by any means, I really do think you'll be happy with either!
If space and money aren't factors, I say go with the 210's and be done with it. But don't just take measurements for size. Try and build a cardboard box the size of the 210's and place them where you want the speakers. They are big speakers and require room for placement, you wouldn't want to buy them and then realize you can't fit them.
Again, you'll be happy with either so don't limit yourself if you don't have to but also don't worry if you can't fit the 210's. The 110's are fantastic too!
I absolutely agree with this post.

Quick question, what 210s are you looking at the 210's or the 210T's?
smit1001 likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5824 of 8880 Old 11-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great ideas, I will make a cutout why not just to see. I can either do towers or the bookshelfs and just make a stand for them.
Hyped16 is offline  
post #5825 of 8880 Old 11-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Bill Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southeastern WI
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped16 View Post
Great ideas, I will make a cutout why not just to see. I can either do towers or the bookshelfs and just make a stand for them.
If you go the bookshelf route (210 or 110), chat with Tom about center placement and stands for the L/R. He steered me towards some that ended up being super nice stands for $100 shipped and were the perfect height.

__________________________
Current setup: PSA MT-110 L/R, PSA MT-110c center, PSA MT-110sr surround, Dual PSA v3600 subs, Denon x4200w Receiver
Bill Kentucky is offline  
post #5826 of 8880 Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
nlpearman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kentucky View Post
If you go the bookshelf route (210 or 110), chat with Tom about center placement and stands for the L/R. He steered me towards some that ended up being super nice stands for $100 shipped and were the perfect height.
Do you have a link to the stands?

Upgraditis Anonymous
nlpearman is offline  
post #5827 of 8880 Old 11-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Bill Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southeastern WI
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post
Do you have a link to the stands?
They're TransDeco speaker stands. They're fixed height (several heights available) so you'll want ones that work for your setup. The 24" were perfect for my 110's to line up with my center channel.
nlpearman likes this.

__________________________
Current setup: PSA MT-110 L/R, PSA MT-110c center, PSA MT-110sr surround, Dual PSA v3600 subs, Denon x4200w Receiver
Bill Kentucky is offline  
post #5828 of 8880 Old 11-24-2016, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
tang7969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tonawanda NY
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post
Do you have a link to the stands?


https://www.amazon.com/TransDeco-TD2...speaker+stands
These are the stands. They are very nice and hold the 110's perfectly. I actually have them but do not need them anymore since I bought the 210t's. It's to bad you were not local because I would sell mine for $50.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nlpearman likes this.

SONY XBR-65X900F - Sony UDP X800- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR6013 - APPLE TV -DIRECTV HR44 -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY RC50'S L/R-ENERGY RC LCR- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
tang7969 is offline  
post #5829 of 8880 Old 11-24-2016, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
nlpearman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Thanks guys!

So, I'm lurking and eyeing these speakers hard! Unfortunately, I'm working with a large entertainment unit (I know: wife requirement). There's a 55" TV in the attached pic but it will eventually be a 65".

One of my options is to put the 65" TV directly on top of the 210C. A few questions:

1) Is that feasible? TV is will be 57 lbs.
2) Should the CC be above or below? I can't get the 210C's horn at ear height. Below is closer to ear height but then the TV is raised another 11" and far away from eye level. Which is the better compromise?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT Pic.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1787281  

Upgraditis Anonymous
nlpearman is offline  
post #5830 of 8880 Old 11-24-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,836
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked: 11276
1. It's feasible to put the TV on the 210C because the thing is built like a tank.

2. It's best to get the center channel in line with the other speakers (or as close as you can). But non dedicated home theaters are more about compromises than anything else so you have to decide which criteria is more important to you, TV height or tweeter alignment.
nlpearman likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is online now  
post #5831 of 8880 Old 11-24-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,836
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked: 11276
Happy Thanksgiving guys. Enjoy your turkey and pies and have fun with your family and friends.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is online now  
post #5832 of 8880 Old 11-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Happy Thanksgiving! to bad I dont have the 210s to demo for everyone today! (
Hyped16 is offline  
post #5833 of 8880 Old 11-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Wish I could report on how the 15V has changed my life but not until tomorrow.

Btw, @nlp earlman I had serious imaging issues when I lined up the tweeters on my new LCR. The problem was that I was using a vertical AMT tweeter sideways in a center orientation. But I had to stick with that orientation because I still have a flat panel like you do.

What fixed the imaging was aligning the WOOFERS. Don't ask me why it worked, but that's what my speaker manufacturer suggested and it worked like a charm. The front sound stage is fantastic now (and will be perfect once I get my projector and turn my center vertically).

My point is that you might not necessarily need to get your tweeters lined up to get a great front stage. It depends on the dispersion pattern of the tweeters, but lining up the woofers worked great for me. See pic.

Marc Alexander and nlpearman like this.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #5834 of 8880 Old 11-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
vardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: down by the river in a van in kalifornia
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post
Thanks guys!

So, I'm lurking and eyeing these speakers hard! Unfortunately, I'm working with a large entertainment unit (I know: wife requirement). There's a 55" TV in the attached pic but it will eventually be a 65".

One of my options is to put the 65" TV directly on top of the 210C. A few questions:

1) Is that feasible? TV is will be 57 lbs.
2) Should the CC be above or below? I can't get the 210C's horn at ear height. Below is closer to ear height but then the TV is raised another 11" and far away from eye level. Which is the better compromise?

Like Hop stated, the 210c will easily support your TV, and yes, it's built like a tank. But if you have a little more than 11" above the
TV, I would mount it there and aim it down towards the listening area. If you want to be exacting about it you can use a laser pointer
($20 at radio shack). Just make sure the center is flush with the edges of your cabinet so there won't be any sound reflections.
You can aim it using a door stop(s) or rubber feet at the back of the speaker.

My center (MT210c) is below the TV, but is sitting on an entertainment cabinet...with the TV mounted to the wall. I would put it above
but there is no room because my TV is huge, and there is a beam above it so there is no room to place it there. So in my case I have to
aim it up about 1" up from the bottom of the cabinet. When I had a smaller TV I had the center above,and for some reason it just had a nicer sound. But below or above will work, either way.

Many times people sit on recliners when watching TV, so if is the case for you then moving the TV up would be OK if you are in the reclined position.

Craig
nlpearman likes this.
vardo is offline  
post #5835 of 8880 Old 11-25-2016, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,056
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Wish I could report on how the 15V has changed my life but not until tomorrow.

Btw, @nlp earlman I had serious imaging issues when I lined up the tweeters on my new LCR. The problem was that I was using a vertical AMT tweeter sideways in a center orientation. But I had to stick with that orientation because I still have a flat panel like you do.

What fixed the imaging was aligning the WOOFERS. Don't ask me why it worked, but that's what my speaker manufacturer suggested and it worked like a charm. The front sound stage is fantastic now (and will be perfect once I get my projector and turn my center vertically).

My point is that you might not necessarily need to get your tweeters lined up to get a great front stage. It depends on the dispersion pattern of the tweeters, but lining up the woofers worked great for me. See pic.

What is that black cube next to the receiver/turntable......
ahblaza is online now  
post #5836 of 8880 Old 11-25-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,056
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post
Thanks guys!

So, I'm lurking and eyeing these speakers hard! Unfortunately, I'm working with a large entertainment unit (I know: wife requirement). There's a 55" TV in the attached pic but it will eventually be a 65".

One of my options is to put the 65" TV directly on top of the 210C. A few questions:

1) Is that feasible? TV is will be 57 lbs.
2) Should the CC be above or below? I can't get the 210C's horn at ear height. Below is closer to ear height but then the TV is raised another 11" and far away from eye level. Which is the better compromise?
Just my opinion I would put the 210C under the TV, as far as lining up the WGs as long as your within 8-10" above or below the mains you'll be just fine, I would rather have to look up a bit at the TV than to hear uneven pans from L> C> Rs. I've had mine both ways and below worked much better for me, if you have the option to do both, give it a shot and see what you prefer. What do think you of the CC that you have above the TV now?

I guess there's no chance of putting it on a dedicated CC stand in front of the ET unit, also can you move your mains out a bit from the front wall so at least the front baffles protrude past the front edge of the ET unit. If you could do the CC stand that would be ideal as you'll want to move the mains out to be a little forward of the CC. I may be anal but I don't like anything in between the mains except the CC. That unit is massive........... Good Luck with the misses...............
ahblaza is online now  
post #5837 of 8880 Old 11-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
What is that black cube next to the receiver/turntable......


Hehe here's the update

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #5838 of 8880 Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,336
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 9521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post
Thanks guys!

So, I'm lurking and eyeing these speakers hard! Unfortunately, I'm working with a large entertainment unit (I know: wife requirement). There's a 55" TV in the attached pic but it will eventually be a 65".

One of my options is to put the 65" TV directly on top of the 210C. A few questions:

1) Is that feasible? TV is will be 57 lbs.
2) Should the CC be above or below? I can't get the 210C's horn at ear height. Below is closer to ear height but then the TV is raised another 11" and far away from eye level. Which is the better compromise?
You could sit the house on top of a 210...That being said I would definitely put the TV above.
ahblaza likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #5839 of 8880 Old 11-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
nlpearman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Appreciate all the feedback, fellas!

There seems to be no real agreement, but I think that's the nature of the issue.

Between the height of my TV and the space in the cabinet, there will be nearly exactly 11" left over, so no real opportunity for angling the 210C if placed either above or below. This by itself might dictate positioning below the TV... but I LOVE the center of my TV being as close to eye level as possible. I think Hop said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
[...] But non dedicated home theaters are more about compromises than anything else so you have to decide which criteria is more important to you, TV height or tweeter alignment.

Upgraditis Anonymous
nlpearman is offline  
post #5840 of 8880 Old 11-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
nlpearman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Just my opinion I would put the 210C under the TV, as far as lining up the WGs as long as your within 8-10" above or below the mains you'll be just fine, I would rather have to look up a bit at the TV than to hear uneven pans from L> C> Rs. I've had mine both ways and below worked much better for me, if you have the option to do both, give it a shot and see what you prefer. What do think you of the CC that you have above the TV now?

I guess there's no chance of putting it on a dedicated CC stand in front of the ET unit, also can you move your mains out a bit from the front wall so at least the front baffles protrude past the front edge of the ET unit. If you could do the CC stand that would be ideal as you'll want to move the mains out to be a little forward of the CC. I may be anal but I don't like anything in between the mains except the CC. That unit is massive........... Good Luck with the misses...............
The CC I have now is a PSB Image C40. It's fine, not amazing, but good. I'm interested in amazing.

We have three kids 7 and under so a dedicated CC stand is a no go.

I wish there was a line with 8" drivers that were slightly more living room friendly. **wishes upon a star**

Upgraditis Anonymous
nlpearman is offline  
post #5841 of 8880 Old 11-27-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,836
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked: 11276
Speaker Review Update!

I had some family members in town for the holiday weekend, two of them are musicians and one of them organizes music semi professionally for worship at her church so she is constantly listening to music and breaking it down for different instruments etc. Well last night we listened to a series of music ranging from classical, jazz, worship, classic rock and metal (and some I don't know the genre of). In a word they were AMAZED.

They kept making comments about how the speakers played things so clearly that you could visualize the musicians playing their instruments... like you are watching them on stage or in the orchestra. I was only going to play a few songs for them but an hour later they were still calling out requests. We started out playing refined pieces where we were picking out the nuances of the music, noting the instruments involved and when singers inhaled between lyrics etc… But in the end we were playing groups like Guns and Roses so they could experience the pure power of the 210T's.

The person who plans and organizes the music for church worship said that these speakers show clearly how much of the music we miss when listening to other speakers. She said even she has never heard such detail in music and was stunned to hear such clarity and imaging. She said she never realized what she had been missing. That's pretty high praise considering the source.

As a side note… This whole music listening session was being played with my V3600's and my XV15se fully engaged (although I did back my subs off a bit because I usually run them 9dB hot). They thought the subs played music incredibly well. Everything sounded clean and articulate, just as it should.

The night before they had heard the system playing a movie (Star Wars TFA) and commented that it was way better than seeing the movie in theater. They were blown away.

Aside from spending time with family and loved ones the PSA setup was the highlight of the weekend for the visiting guests. One of them commented that I have the best basement in the world and asked how we ever leave it. I told her I try not to.
Marc Alexander, Toe, mnc and 8 others like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 11-27-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Hopinater is online now  
post #5842 of 8880 Old 11-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Member
 
smit1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I know you weren't asking me but I can add some feedback on this question. I started off my PSA speaker set up with the MT110's for my front three speakers and then I added the 110SR's for my side surrounds (and then I lost all control and upgraded to the MTM210T's and a 210C for my front stage). The MT110's and the 110SR's sound very similar, IMO the SR's sound as good as the 110's and in movies you won't really notice any difference. However, because the speakers are a little different in size you MIGHT be able to notice a slight difference in multi-channel critical music listening. In my case I never noticed a difference between the 110's and the 110SR's… both sound incredible.

Let me add that the 110SR's were a huge upgrade in my system when I added them to the 110 front stage. It really took the surround experience to a whole new level which in turn meant that the SQ of my HT went to a whole new level. I was very skeptical that surrounds could make much difference but I was wrong. The surround speakers are important… more important than I ever imagined. Having the surrounds that can keep up with the PSA front stage really is awesome.
Thank you for the review. I totaly understand "Loss Of Control" . Were the MTM-210s a big upgrade from the MTM-110s?
oneeyeblind likes this.
smit1001 is offline  
post #5843 of 8880 Old 11-28-2016, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,836
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked: 11276
Quote:
Originally Posted by smit1001 View Post
Thank you for the review. I totaly understand "Loss Of Control" . Were the MTM-210s a big upgrade from the MTM-110s?
Funny you should ask, I just answered that same question on the previous page in post 5819. I'll repost below for you.

Quote:
I started with MT 110's for LCR with 110SR's for surrounds. Then I went to 210T's for L/R and kept the 110C for the center (for about a month) and then I got the 210C for the center.

From what I've experienced I think you will be happy either way you decide to go. The 110's aren't quite as efficient as the 210's but that really doesn't matter because I have a space that's larger than yours and I was never able to make the 110's break a sweat, and believe me I tried… I blasted them until my ears couldn't take any more and they still played effortlessly. The 110's are a great set of speakers. They image wonderfully and have crystal clear sound which will bring out nuances in music you never knew were there.

Having said that the 210's are all that and more. The key difference with the 210T's and the 110's is the mid bass… it is more pronounced and quite a bit more noticeable which I think fills out the music a bit more. But I like mid bass so I'm partial to anything that brings it out. Is it a ton more mid bass? No… but in my set up the difference is noticeable and does change how the speakers present. Is the difference worth the money? For me yes it was, for someone else? Well they may disagree.

Either way you decide to go you will be getting a great set of speakers.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is online now  
post #5844 of 8880 Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FattyMcButterPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,660
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Funny you should ask, I just answered that same question on the previous page in post 5819. I'll repost below for you.


Looks like I will get to do this comparison myself fairly soon. MT-110 order placed!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 11-28-2016 at 10:05 AM.
FattyMcButterPants is offline  
post #5845 of 8880 Old 11-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Member
 
JoeNDT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 49
MTM 210 and Emotiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwar View Post
Hoping to get a set myself sometime soon. Probably after the holidays.
Roadwar,
I see in your signature line that you are running Emotiva amps with your PSA MTM 210T and 210C. I have a set of MTM 210 and 210C. I have been thinking on getting a Marantz pre-amp along with a couple of Emotiva amps. My curiosity, if you don’t mind, is how will you characterize the Emotiva sound thru the PSA’s? Especially with music if you play any. I understand that you should consider your speakers sensitivity when choosing an amp and some people will argue that the Emotiva amps are overkill for our PSA speakers. Power handling of the 210’s is 175W with 98db sensitivity, does running an amp rated to 250W per channel or 600W like the monoblocks would present the risk of damage? I will welcome the opinion of anybody running a similar set up.

Thank you Sir!!!

Samsung 65KS8000FXZA, Roku 4, Marantz AV-7703, Emotiva XPA-5 GEN 3, PSA MTM-210 L/R, PSA MTM-210C, PSA MT-110SR, PSA Dual 15V, OPPO UDP-203, Technics SL-1210 MK5, Denon DL110, Nova Phonomena, APC H15
JoeNDT is offline  
post #5846 of 8880 Old 11-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Bill Kentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Southeastern WI
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNDT View Post
Roadwar,
I see in your signature line that you are running Emotiva amps with your PSA MTM 210T and 210C. I have a set of MTM 210 and 210C. I have been thinking on getting a Marantz pre-amp along with a couple of Emotiva amps. My curiosity, if you don’t mind, is how will you characterize the Emotiva sound thru the PSA’s? Especially with music if you play any. I understand that you should consider your speakers sensitivity when choosing an amp and some people will argue that the Emotiva amps are overkill for our PSA speakers. Power handling of the 210’s is 175W with 98db sensitivity, does running an amp rated to 250W per channel or 600W like the monoblocks would present the risk of damage? I will welcome the opinion of anybody running a similar set up.

Thank you Sir!!!
Maybe I'm way off base here, but I'd imagine even a 1000w amp hooked to the speakers wouldn't cause damage unless you turned them up way to high. I'd wager to say an under powered amp will damage the speakers long before an over powered amp would. The higher wattage amps should just give you more headroom. Hearing just the 110's at high volume, I can't imagine a scenario where you'd run the speakers so loud you'd damage them before you went deaf.
ahblaza and basshead81 like this.

__________________________
Current setup: PSA MT-110 L/R, PSA MT-110c center, PSA MT-110sr surround, Dual PSA v3600 subs, Denon x4200w Receiver
Bill Kentucky is offline  
post #5847 of 8880 Old 11-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Member
 
JoeNDT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kentucky View Post
Maybe I'm way off base here, but I'd imagine even a 1000w amp hooked to the speakers wouldn't cause damage unless you turned them up way to high. I'd wager to say an under powered amp will damage the speakers long before an over powered amp would. The higher wattage amps should just give you more headroom. Hearing just the 110's at high volume, I can't imagine a scenario where you'd run the speakers so loud you'd damage them before you went deaf.
Not off base as far as I concern…That answer part of my question, just wanted to cover all the bases before pulling the trigger…Thanks!!!

Samsung 65KS8000FXZA, Roku 4, Marantz AV-7703, Emotiva XPA-5 GEN 3, PSA MTM-210 L/R, PSA MTM-210C, PSA MT-110SR, PSA Dual 15V, OPPO UDP-203, Technics SL-1210 MK5, Denon DL110, Nova Phonomena, APC H15
JoeNDT is offline  
post #5848 of 8880 Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,187
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
JoeNDT,
What does the NDT stand for?
I have an idea....
lizrussspike is offline  
post #5849 of 8880 Old 11-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Member
 
JoeNDT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
JoeNDT,
What does the NDT stand for?
I have an idea....
Stand for Non-destructive testing (NDT), is the process of inspecting, testing or evaluating all kind of materials, components or assemblies without destroying the serviceability of the part or system tested. We use analysis techniques as magnetic particle testing, ultrasonic testing, eddy current testing, dye penetrant testing, x-rays and visual testing. Is the opposite of destructive testing were let say they take a part and apply stress until it breaks to see what the limit of stress that can tolerate is. Is a very interesting technical field, a lot of the ultrasonic testing also relates to the audible frequencies. I see in your avatar the USN Navy chief anchor. NDT is used extensively in the Navy, that’s where I got my initial training.

Samsung 65KS8000FXZA, Roku 4, Marantz AV-7703, Emotiva XPA-5 GEN 3, PSA MTM-210 L/R, PSA MTM-210C, PSA MT-110SR, PSA Dual 15V, OPPO UDP-203, Technics SL-1210 MK5, Denon DL110, Nova Phonomena, APC H15
JoeNDT is offline  
post #5850 of 8880 Old 11-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
vardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: down by the river in a van in kalifornia
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I have an all Emotiva power amp(s) setup. XPA-5 for L/R/C and side surrounds (150w channel), and an Emotiva bassX A-700 7 channel amp
(80 watts continues to all channels) running my rear L/R MT-110sr's (.6 and .7) and 4 overhead Atmos speakers. The pre-amp is a
Marantz 11.2 av7702MK11. PSA speakers are so efficient (the front and surrounds) it isn't really necessary to run a separate pre plus power amps, but I'm an old dog...and that's the way I've always done it. Very happy with the current setup.

@FattyMcButterPants ...you are gonna love the MT110's. I had the MT110's L/R/C and they were amazing. I upgraded to the 210T's and 210 center,
and the 3 MT-110's are in storage. Somehow I just keep putting off putting them up for sale. They are terrifc. The difference between the
MT110's and 210's is minimal at most. Like Hop said, the 210T's have a little more mid bass, this in part to the dual 10" mid/woofers and larger enclosure.

When I asked Tom about switching the 110's to 210's his reply was "don't expect to be blown away" buy switching. That's Tom being honest as usual. He could of said there is a tremendous difference, but didn't. He never tries to up sell you when not necesssary. That's the
nature of PSA's customer service.

Craig
mnc, ahblaza, RapalloAV and 5 others like this.
vardo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off