Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9471Likes

post #7231 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 3464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I'd like to see an efficient point-source/concentric 8 to compete with JBL/HSU/JTR/DIY Sound Group concentric 8s for surround and Atmos duty that would match up with the 10's. There's hundreds of smallish speakers with 6.5" drivers; I don't see a real need to try and compete for that market. IMO.
Tom often mentions the DIY route with the Volt 6s, probably the best value out there if you have minimal skill level to assemble a flat pack and a XO board, I honestly don't believe PSA is trying to compete with anybody and will make a smaller speaker only because customers want it, it will certainly be paired up with the 10" versions in either a surround or Atmos configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I just hope they don't do what an SVS does that has the prime and Ultra. Smaller speaker fine, less quality I'm not a fan of. One top line and a lesser line doesn't really work for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Guaranteed not to happen, I mentioned once about out sourcing to China and that didn't go over very well in the PSA camp..............................
post #7233 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Tom often mentions the DIY route with the Volt 6s, probably the best value out there if you have minimal skill level to assemble a flat pack and a XO board, I honestly don't believe PSA is trying to compete with anybody and will make a smaller speaker only because customers want it, it will certainly be paired up with the 10" versions in either a surround or Atmos configuration.

I get the same feeling about them just doing it because we want it. They are so good that way, great guys for sure!

It's funny you mention the volt 6 because that is my plan B. My 210T's having been making a mockery of my surrounds on movie night for far too long, time to get something worthy of playing together with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7234 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3555 Post(s)
Liked: 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I am going to ask a serious question here...

Has ANYONE been successful only buying ONE sub from PSA!?

(That is... without buying another one and making it dual or even more?)
Count me out. I failed to resist them. They're like potato chips... you can't stop at just one.
SuperFist likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 08-28-2017 at 03:07 PM.
post #7235 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a hard time believing they are gonna release a smaller speaker at all to be honest. Why would they canabolize sales of MT-110s? I don't know if it makes business sense really.

I saw the mock ups when I visited PSA. Last I knew they are real and they are coming (unless something has changed).

To be honest I think the S7201 took precedence, now that it's done and released maybe the smaller speakers will be next.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Last edited by Hopinater; 08-28-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #7236 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Count me out. I failed to resist them. They're like potato chips... you can't have just one.
I'm out as well - not possible for me. If I'd still live in the US of A I'd already have upgraded to the 01 models and would have made the trip to the PSA HQ.
SuperFist, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

Yamaha CX-A5100 | 2x Emotiva XPA-5 & XPA-3 | PSA MTM-210T | PSA-MTM210C | PSA-MT110SR | 2x PSA V1800 | AM 8033-SII
Sony 65" 4K| Apple-TV | Network stuff | a lot of wires | Understanding & forgiving GF - priceless!
post #7237 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
I get the same feeling about them just doing it because we want it. They are so good that way, great guys for sure!

It's funny you mention the volt 6 because that is my plan B. My 210T's having been making a mockery of my surrounds on movie night for far too long, time to get something worthy of playing together with them!

Randy I can attest to your plan B with the Volts, they are one of a few smaller speakers that can keep up with the 10" speakers as good surrounds. I don't know what you're using as surrounds now but hanging with the 210Ts would seem futile...........
FattyMcButterPants likes this.
post #7238 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I saw the mock ups when I visited PSA. Last I knew they are real and they are coming (unless something has changed).

To be honest I think the S7201 took precedence, now that it's done and released maybe the smaller speakers will be next.
Ok cool, I'd like to see it.

post #7239 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Grimm View Post
I'm out as well - not possible for me. If I'd still live in the US of A I'd already have upgraded to the 01 models and would have made the trip to the PSA HQ.
I've been there twice so far and the second trip was a really rewarding experience, it takes about an hour to get there, unfortunately I couldn't spend as much time as I wanted there cause I didn't drive. I hope to go down again soon and drive myself this time, it's a straight highway drive and you're there in no time. It's just so refreshing to see your product being built right there in house with the high quality standards that PSA stands for. Kudos to PSA and their commitment to excellence with each and every product and exemplary customer support..............
post #7240 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 4979
Until or if they come out with a smaller surround, I'm one of the advocates for the volt 6's.
These suckers definitely keep up with the 110's and blend really nicely.
As most of you know I made mine into my own mini PSA surrounds. It was such a fun project and easy too! @Hetfieldjames may be swinging by this weekend to check out my system and I'm looking forward to his impressions.
post #7241 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Until or if they come out with a smaller surround, I'm one of the advocates for the volt 6's.
As most of you know I made mine into my own mini PSA surrounds. It was such a fun project and easy too! @Hetfieldjames may be swinging by this weekend to check out my system and I'm looking forward to his impressions.

I saw that picture the other day and wondered what speaker it actually was lol. Nice work on it!

Glad to hear they blend well with the PSA speakers, I want to do these beasts justice! My fiancé is pretty excited about it too, which is cool.

ahblaza likes this.
post #7242 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
How hard are they to build or put together? I don't understand the whole DIY speaker business. Really hard, somewhere hard or very easy?

post #7243 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
I saw that picture the other day and wondered what speaker it actually was lol. Nice work on it!

Glad to hear they blend well with the PSA speakers, I want to do these beasts justice! My fiancé is pretty excited about it too, which is cool.

Quote:
How hard are they to build or put together? I don't understand the whole DIY speaker business. Really hard, somewhere hard or very easy?

Yea they really sound great. Very dynamic when called upon.
I didn't actually build mine. I purchased them from a fellow forum member and sanded them down, duratexed, fashioned up grills and jazzed up with some snazzy PSA logos to complete the look.
They look super easy to build though with the flat pack kits. The crossover shouldn't be that hard either if you have some soldering skills.
I plan on getting two to replace my rear height def techs with and I'll build those myself.
vardo and FattyMcButterPants like this.
post #7244 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Well, she said they look great for a dedicated HT room or den... But not in the living room which is my only option currently. Might be waiting a little while on the PSA speakers.

I could always build a basement HT.....
You're in a tough situation coming for Salk speakers which are top notch in the looks department. Would you wife go for MTM210 bookshelfs with some good looking speaker stands?

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #7245 of 8864 Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
I am going to ask a serious question here...

Has ANYONE been successful only buying ONE sub from PSA!?

(That is... without buying another one and making it dual or even more?)
LOL how long has it been since you bought yours.....2 weeks??? Just go ahead and get another one two is better than one .

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #7246 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
You're in a tough situation coming for Salk speakers which are top notch in the looks department. Would you wife go for MTM210 bookshelfs with some good looking speaker stands?
I doubt it... I want the towers and may have to wait until I build out a dedicated room.
post #7247 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
I have had the MTM210 Bookshelves since they were first introduced and have always got a kick out of calling them Bookshelves
post #7248 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 5611
Quote:
LOL how long has it been since you bought yours.....2 weeks??? Just go ahead and get another one two is better than one .
Hahaha! I hear ya. Because I love a challenge and I like disciplining myself, it was put to me to resist buying another one and this I shall do. Besides, I would definitely need to upgrade my existing speakers if I got another PSA V1500 or V1801 or more because the LFE would then greatly overpower and drown them out.

Another determining factor for me that I just realized by playing a movie at my -14dB listening level one night and going out in my backyard...

I have 3 full windowed sliding doors that face the backyard and A LOT of bass is getting through them even though they are closed shut. I am positive there will be someone who notices this sound with yet another mind-warping sub added to the mix and the last thing I want to do is irritate my neighbors in any way. But it was a fun ride, guys!
ss nimrod likes this.

Last edited by SuperFist; 08-29-2017 at 01:17 PM.
post #7249 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Well, she said they look great for a dedicated HT room or den... But not in the living room which is my only option currently. Might be waiting a little while on the PSA speakers.

I could always build a basement HT.....

What was the problem with the Salk's? Tougher to get much more WAF than that

Selling in AVS classifieds
FS: McIntosh MX-160 Processor
post #7250 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got a question for the PSA guys here. The first time I heard the term "compression driver" was when checking out PSA speakers on their website.
That is different than other regular drivers? Like your run of the mill tweeter is not compression correct? I'm just a little confused on the term and what constitutes a compression driver?

post #7251 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2947 Post(s)
Liked: 3768
Quote:
Got a question for the PSA guys here. The first time I heard the term "compression driver" was when checking out PSA speakers on their website.
That is different than other regular drivers? Like your run of the mill tweeter is not compression correct? I'm just a little confused on the term and what constitutes a compression driver?

Compression drivers work sort of like dome tweeters but possess high sensitivity and are used with wave guides and horns. That is one reason why the PSA are so efficient and of course with the magic Tom has done has used the benefits of the compression driver while keeping them from being harsh.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #7252 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Compression drivers work sort of like dome tweeters but possess high sensitivity and are used with wave guides and horns. That is one reason why the PSA are so efficient and of course with the magic Tom has done has used the benefits of the compression driver while keeping them from being harsh.

Oh ok so it's an entirely different type of driver. High sensitivity is a good thing of course like you said keeping it from being harsh.

post #7253 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
What was the problem with the Salk's? Tougher to get much more WAF than that
Nothing wrong with them at all, they're outstanding! But, moved into a larger house with a lot more cubic feet to fill and the Salks aren't nearly as efficient.
post #7254 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Here's a good explanation of how a horn loaded compression driver works, I had the first speakers PSA built and did a tear down some where earlier in this thread showing the CD and how it's attached to the horn (wave guide) and the quality of the CD with its strong magnet and heavy construction, very well constructed. Besides the box the drivers add a lot of weight to the speakers themselves. Because of this design the speaker's are capable of high SPL levels with clean effortless sound at any volume settings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_driver
post #7255 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nothing wrong with them at all, they're outstanding! But, moved into a larger house with a lot more cubic feet to fill and the Salks aren't nearly as efficient.

You could give Nathan Funk a call. That's what I ended up doing when I sold my Songtowers to try something more efficient. First tried Seaton Catalysts, but didn't check with the wife first and she was not pleased when the black boxes showed up. Then went with Funk, and am pretty pleased. Combined the looks of Salk with the dynamics of the Seatons.

pics of my Funk setup
kyzer soze and irishluck73 like this.

post #7256 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
You could give Nathan Funk a call. That's what I ended up doing when I sold my Songtowers to try something more efficient. First tried Seaton Catalysts, but didn't check with the wife first and she was not pleased when the black boxes showed up. Then went with Funk, and am pretty pleased. Combined the looks of Salk with the dynamics of the Seatons.

pics of my Funk setup
Very cool setup and really nice looking speakers! I'll definitely look him up.
post #7257 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very cool setup and really nice looking speakers! I'll definitely look him up.

He's better known in the subwoofer circles. Canadian company. Extremely nice; every time I've ordered from him he puts up with some 30-40 emais. Over the past year I've orders now pretty much an entire Atmos setup from him. Here's his site

http://www.funkaudio.ca

post #7258 of 8864 Old 08-29-2017, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:

Generally, the common tweeter drivers are dome, ribbon, and compression drivers. JBL Pro (M2, 4722n), JTR, Seaton, DIY Audio Group, PSA, etc., generally use compression drivers because they are efficient, can reach high volumes, and the better ones also reproduce accurate sound.

http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php...um_compression

https://www.electronichouse.com/how-...er-technology/

They make excellent dome and ribbon tweeters, but really they just can't keep up with a modern compression driver when output and dynamics are at a premium, especially with modern wave guides and DSP to tame them.
post #7259 of 8864 Old 08-30-2017, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Generally, the common tweeter drivers are dome, ribbon, and compression drivers. JBL Pro (M2, 4722n), JTR, Seaton, DIY Audio Group, PSA, etc., generally use compression drivers because they are efficient, can reach high volumes, and the better ones also reproduce accurate sound.

http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php...um_compression

https://www.electronichouse.com/how-...er-technology/

They make excellent dome and ribbon tweeters, but really they just can't keep up with a modern compression driver when output and dynamics are at a premium, especially with modern wave guides and DSP to tame them.
Wow ok thanks, that clears it up. That is exactly what I was asking.

post #7260 of 8864 Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hahaha! I hear ya. Because I love a challenge and I like disciplining myself, it was put to me to resist buying another one and this I shall do. Besides, I would definitely need to upgrade my existing speakers if I got another PSA V1500 or V1801 or more because the LFE would then greatly overpower and drown them out.

Another determining factor for me that I just realized by playing a movie at my -14dB listening level one night and going out in my backyard...

I have 3 full windowed sliding doors that face the backyard and A LOT of bass is getting through them even though they are closed shut. I am positive there will be someone who notices this sound with yet another mind-warping sub added to the mix and the last thing I want to do is irritate my neighbors in any way. But it was a fun ride, guys!
Those are definitely good reasons to resist adding a 2nd PSA sub right now. But allow me to add a couple of reasons why it might be good to do.

1. Usually adding a 2nd sub is more about smoothing out the bass at the MLP and other LPs than it is getting more output. Smoothing is the process of getting rid of peaks and valleys in the bass response. If you sit in a valley than the bass will be anemic in that particular frequency range. If you sit in a null than you will get no bass at at those frequencies. Having two subs can get rid of those pesky issues and two similar subs makes it even easier to achieve this.

2. The result of this is often an improvement in the over all sound quality of the bass in your room. I found the bass to be much fuller and more enveloping with two high quality subs.

3. Of course you will also have greater output abilities by adding a 2nd sub, it just may not be your main goal. But because the actual output is controlled with things like trim settings and the volume control (which we can adjust), adding a 2nd sub will not necessarily result in you irritating your neighbors... unless you want it to... which you don't.

4. With greater output there will be an increase of headroom which means neither sub is working as hard to produce the output you desire. This means you probably won't have to worry about the subs approaching their limits during those hard hitting low frequency effects that we all love so much.

5. You don't need to worry about your speakers being over powered because you have control over the trim level of your subs, so unless you are deliberately turning up your trim (running your subs hot and way above the level set by the room calibration software of your AVR) then everything should still be balanced.

Anyway, there are good reasons NOT to add a 2nd sub right now and good reasons TO add a 2nd sub right now.

P.S. This is a good issue to discuss regarding bass and subwoofers so I actually copied this over to the PSA subwoofer thread so more guys can read it and share their thoughts.

Last edited by Hopinater; 08-30-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page