Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9182Likes

post #7291 of 8730 Old 09-03-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
^^ Agreed. Last night I watched Tron and I was amazed equally with both the bass coming from my subs and the over all sound track coming from my PSA speakers. The music and effects coming from the front stage as well as the surrounds was totally enveloping. I remember on multiple occasions the scenes were so enveloping, dynamic and absolutely incredible that I felt like I was in the movie itself. That my friends is a priceless experience.
Guys, I am contemplating whether to splurge on more expensive side and back surrounds in a 7.2 set up and have them above ear level or go a cheaper on all surrounds and add atmos in a 7.2.4 set up.

Currently running MTM 210s fronts, have SVS elevations as surounds for now. I am wondering if I should just get the MT 110SR for all side and back surround and place them above ear level and forget atmos or use the Prime elevations for side and back surround at ear level and then add more elevations for atmos.

Trying to see if someone has looked into this themselves. I have 10 days left to return the SVS. Appreciate any input

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 8730 Old 09-03-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Guys, I am contemplating whether to splurge on more expensive side and back surrounds in a 7.2 set up and have them above ear level or go a cheaper on all surrounds and add atmos in a 7.2.4 set up.

Currently running MTM 210s fronts, have SVS elevations as surounds for now. I am wondering if I should just get the MT 110SR for all side and back surround and place them above ear level and forget atmos or use the Prime elevations for side and back surround at ear level and then add more elevations for atmos.

Trying to see if someone has looked into this themselves. I have 10 days left to return the SVS. Appreciate any input

Thanks
I can't speak for Atmos yet as I'm still pondering this myself even though I already have the speakers just not built yet. One thing I can tell you, that for now I wouldn't think twice about getting the MT110s for at least side surrounds and move the your SVSs to the rear. I would be perfectly content with a 5.1.4 Atmos setup without rear channels. The side MT110s will change you're entire HT listening experience especially if you have a 210 front stage, you literally don't know what you're missing without the side surrounds. That was my first recommendation when I bought the first 5 speakers PSA made, get the side surrounds MT110s no matter what you have to do to get them, they are a game changer, trust me.............just ask all who listened to me......
Hopinater likes this.
post #7293 of 8730 Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I can't speak for Atmos yet as I'm still pondering this myself even though I already have the speakers just not built yet. One thing I can tell you, that for now I wouldn't think twice about getting the MT110s for at least side surrounds and move the your SVSs to the rear. I would be perfectly content with a 5.1.4 Atmos setup without rear channels. The side MT110s will change you're entire HT listening experience especially if you have a 210 front stage, you literally don't know what you're missing without the side surrounds. That was my first recommendation when I bought the first 5 speakers PSA made, get the side surrounds MT110s no matter what you have to do to get them, they are a game changer, trust me.............just ask all who listened to me......

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your reply. So I take it that rear surrounds are not as important and SVS would be sufficient for that? I see most have side surrounds above ear level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7294 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your reply. So I take it that rear surrounds are not as important and SVS would be sufficient for that? I see most have side surrounds above ear level?

That's my opinion that the rear surrounds are not that critical, unless you have the room and speakers that can keep up with the rest of your system rears aren't that important. Others may disagree with that but I would much rather have a strong all timbre matched 5.0 setup. The 110s as side surrounds will make up for the lack of rears, they do have a full enveloping sound quality and the sound will seem to come from not only the sides of the MLP but from behind you as well.

When you think about it the MT110s are the same speakers (sound signature) with the same 10" driver as your front stage, with the 110s as SSs you literally get a complete circle of sound staging, something you have to experience to appreciate. I'll guarantee you'll hear things in recordings and movies that you didn't know were there, like I said you don't know what you're missing until you have it. Yes, above ear is reco'd with the slant box 110s, I prefer about a foot above ear level with a stand mount speaker and higher with the SR style 110. Good luck with whatever you decide, I'm waiting for the other folks that have the 110s as side surrounds to chime in, there are some with 210s as surrounds...........

EDIT: forgot, you're welcome my friend, glad I could help.

Cheers Jeffrey
post #7295 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's my opinion that the rear surrounds are not that critical, unless you have the room and speakers that can keep up with the rest of your system rears aren't that important. Others may disagree with that but I would much rather have a strong all timbre matched 5.0 setup. The 110s as side surrounds will make up for the lack of rears, they do have a full enveloping sound quality and the sound will seem to come from not only the sides of the MLP but from behind you as well.

When you think about it the MT110s are the same speakers (sound signature) with the same 10" driver as your front stage, with the 110s as SSs you literally get a complete circle of sound staging, something you have to experience to appreciate. I'll guarantee you'll hear things in recordings and movies that you didn't know were there, like I said you don't know what you're missing until you have it. Yes, above ear is reco'd with the slant box 110s, I prefer about a foot above ear level with a stand mount speaker and higher with the SR style 110. Good luck with whatever you decide, I'm waiting for the other folks that have the 110s as side surrounds to chime in, there are some with 210s as surrounds...........

Cheers Jeffrey

Thanks for this Jeffrey. Something to think about. If I do go with the 110s as side surrounds then I am effectively writing off Atmos in my room due to mounting options. Additionally there will not be enough differentiation in height between the Atmos and surround channels. So for me it's decision between going with quality surround set up or Atmos. It's a tough one. I have a 4300H as well by the way.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #7296 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Thanks for this Jeffrey. Something to think about. If I do go with the 110s as side surrounds then I am effectively writing off Atmos in my room due to mounting options. Additionally there will not be enough differentiation in height between the Atmos and surround channels. So for me it's decision between going with quality surround set up or Atmos. It's a tough one. I have a 4300H as well by the way.

No offense to anyone but I don't see the need nor the advantage of Atmos in the home. Too much complication and chaos going on. I used to run right out to get the latest receiver and more speakers, 6.1, 7.1 but where does it end? I'm back to 5.1 and have more money to spend on 5 speakers as a result.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Roadwar likes this.
post #7297 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You're welcome and I completely understand your situation, I have stand mount side surrounds and they are adjustable for different heights. Unless you could put the surrounds at ear level they will interfere with the height Atmos speakers. Since I have the ideal 5.0 setup right now it has kept me from going the Atmos route cause it really sounds good and I guess I don't know what I'm missing not having Atmos speakers. Like I said I do have the speakers and the 4300 and Oppo 203 and most importantly the space to pull it off. I can go either way but wanted to get some feedback before deciding to do Atmos.

I'm glad you have the 4300 so I can ask you for help when it comes time to set this up. This is my second 4300, I bought the first back in March and decided not to go with Atmos and sold it. I saw the discounted price on Amazon plus they gave me a gift card to off set the taxes to match another site's price so I bought another one, it's still in the box like I said. It's really hard after hearing an all PSA LCR and surround setup to think it could get better with ceiling speakers, that said I understand your dilemma.
post #7298 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 10039
Quote:

Thanks
I highly encourage getting the 110SR's. They make a huge difference and IMO are well worth the cost. My suggestion is just start with the one set and go with 5.1 set up. I had a 7.2 set up in the past and didn't even notice the rear channels. I admit the rears were the weak link in the chain because everything else were PSA speakers and the rears were not but I still feel I should have noticed them more.

Having said that, at some point down the road I do plan on adding PSA speakers for rear channels, I think it will make a difference. But there are other things I want to do first that I think will make more of a difference.
ahblaza likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 09-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.
post #7299 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
No offense to anyone but I don't see the need nor the advantage of Atmos in the home. Too much complication and chaos going on. I used to run right out to get the latest receiver and more speakers, 6.1, 7.1 but where does it end? I'm back to 5.1 and have more money to spend on 5 speakers as a result.

I pretty much agree with you on this. More power to those who have the appropriate space for height effects.....I'm not convinced that it would do much in my room. I'm concentrating now on building out a full set of 7 PSA speakers by adding 4 110srs to my existing setup. I think I can be happy with that for quite a while.

Sources: Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra, Fire TV
Processor and Amps: Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-DR2, XPA-5
Speakers: PSA 210Ts, 210C, dual S1500s, Polk surrounds

Last edited by Roadwar; 09-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #7300 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Cheers Jeffrey
I agree with what Jeff said above. Using either the 110 or 110SR's for surrounds you will hear things you never noticed on less efficient speakers. And they sound so real its incredible. I like to tell the story of when I was watching something and in the show there was a knock on a wooden door to my left. It was so real I got up to answer the door... the problem is I don't have a door there.

Watching Batman vs. Superman the other night there was a scene where Batman circled his plane around and the sound circles around behind the listener. My 110SR's created such perfect imaging it sounded like I had rear channels because the sound circled around the back of the room like there were speakers back there.

I use to think you didn't need to match surround channels with the fronts. It's probably not important if you have lesser speakers but if you have a good front stage then I think you owe it to yourself to match the surrounds.
ahblaza and Roadwar like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Last edited by Hopinater; 09-04-2017 at 01:45 PM.
post #7301 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwar View Post
I pretty much agree with you on this. More power to those who have the appropriate space for height effects.....I'm not convinced that it would do much in my room. I'm concentrating now on building out a full set of 7 PSA speakers by adding 4 110srs to my existing setup. I think I can be happy with that for quite a while.
Boy 4 MT-110SRs is gonna be commercial movie theater sound. Eventually I'll buy 3 MT-110s for LCR. I'm buying a regular MT-110 not the center channel version. Tom quoted me a great price a month or two ago. He is such an awesome, and patient guy. To deal with me he has to be. I ask a lot of questions. I usually don't and am impulsive when it comes to speakers and audio equipment but this time I'm taking my time.

Roadwar likes this.
post #7302 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I highly encourage getting the 110SR's. They make a huge difference and IMO are well worth the cost. My suggestion is just start with the one set and go with 5.1 set up. I had a 7.2 set up in the past and didn't even notice the rear channels. I admit the rears were the weak link in the chain because everything else were PSA speakers and the rears were not but I still feel I should have noticed them more.

Having said that, at some point down the road I do plan on adding PSA speakers for rear channels, I think it will make a difference. But there are other things I want to do first that I think will make more of a difference.

Thanks man. The issue I described above was that due to the room size and mounting location given the size of the 110sr, I would either need to go with the 110sr as side surrounds and give up Atmos or have smaller speakers like prime elevations for surrounds and Atmos. With the 110sr, I would not be able to achieve good separation in height between surround and Atmos channels. I have a choice to add the 110sr higher than ear level and give up Atmos or use Prime elevation for my Atmos and surround set up. I don't think i can accommodate the 110sr as a side surround at ear level due to its size and the space I have available on right side of room at ear level. Hence its a choice for me, not something I can add to later. Hope that makes sense.

ahblaza likes this.

post #7303 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks man. The issue I described above was that due to the room size and mounting location given the size of the 110sr, I would either need to go with the 110sr as side surrounds and give up Atmos or have smaller speakers like prime elevations for surrounds and Atmos. With the 110sr, I would not be able to achieve good separation in height between surround and Atmos channels. I have a choice to add the 110sr higher than ear level and give up Atmos or use Prime elevation for my Atmos and surround set up. I don't think i can accommodate the 110sr as a side surround at ear level due to its size and the space I have available on right side of room at ear level. Hence its a choice for me, not something I can add to later. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
I agree with what Jeff said above. Using either the 110 or 110SR's for surrounds you will hear things you never noticed on less efficient speakers. And they sound so real its incredible. I like to tell the story of when I was watching something and in the show there was a knock on a wooden door to my left. It was so real I got up to answer the door... the problem is I don't have a door there.

Watching Batman vs. Superman the other night there was a seen where Batman circled his plane around and the sound circles around behind the listener. My 110SR's created such perfect imaging it sounded like I had rear channels because the sound circled around the back of the room like there were speakers back there.

I use to think you didn't need to match surround channels with the fronts. It's probably not important if you have lesser speakers but if you have a good front stage then I think you owe it to yourself to match the surrounds.

The other alternative would be to place the 110sr tagged in AVR as side surround but place them at the back wall of the room where I would have surround backs. That would slow me to place them at ear level and still do Atmos. It would then be a 5.2.4 setup rather than 7.2.4 with no surround backs.

What do you guys think? Would that work?

ahblaza likes this.

post #7304 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Take a picture of your room and mounting situation and post it, it might help us problem solve.
ahblaza likes this.

post #7305 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Take a picture of your room and mounting situation and post it, it might help us problem solve.

I have made some notes on the attached pics in my beautiful handwriting. . Hope you all can make it out.

I have tried to show locations for Atmos and 110sr. Let me know if I need to explain more.

post #7306 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder if the smaller version of PSA speakers that are supposed to be coming out at some point in the future would be the right size. What dimensions of speakers would work for side surrounds for you?

post #7307 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if the smaller version of PSA speakers that are supposed to be coming out at some point in the future would be the right size. What dimensions of speakers would work for side surrounds for you?

Probably something like the Prime elevations.

post #7308 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Boy 4 MT-110SRs is gonna be commercial movie theater sound. Eventually I'll buy 3 MT-110s for LCR. I'm buying a regular MT-110 not the center channel version. Tom quoted me a great price a month or two ago. He is such an awesome, and patient guy. To deal with me he has to be. I ask a lot of questions. I usually don't and am impulsive when it comes to speakers and audio equipment but this time I'm taking my time.

The regular MT 110 is the center version with the tweeter CD/WG rotated a 1/4 turn if used horizontally. Are you saying you will be using it as a vertical center like your L&R mains, all three vertically oriented?
post #7309 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The regular MT 110 is the center version with the tweeter CD/WG rotated a 1/4 turn if used horizontally. Are you saying you will be using it as a vertical center like your L&R mains, all three vertically oriented?
Using it vertical the way it was designed, yup.

post #7310 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Quote:
Using it vertical the way it was designed, yup.

I hope I can do that someday! In the meantime the horizontal MTM-210c is doing a fantastic job for me.

Weren't you going to hear the MT-110's in @subacabra 's theater? Did that happen yet?

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 09-04-2017 at 05:58 PM.
post #7311 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
I hope I can do that someday! In the meantime the horizontal MTM-210c is doing a fantastic job for me.

Weren't you going to hear the MT-110's in @supac abra's theater? Did that happen yet?

Yeah I chickened out meeting a stranger even though I'm sure it was all fine. I know very stupid.

post #7312 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I chickened out meeting a stranger even though I'm sure it was all fine. I know very stupid.
No that's not stupid, in this day and age you have to be careful. But I wouldn't worry about Subacabra, I'd feel safe going to his house and listening to the speakers. But that's me, you have to do what feels right to you.

post #7313 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No that's not stupid, in this day and age you have to be careful. But I wouldn't worry about Subacabra, I'd feel safe going to his house and listening to the speakers. But that's me, you have to do what feels right to you.
Yeah I agree. I'll get out there sometime I'll bet. Problem is when I get home and I can't stop myself from clicking the buy button for some PSA speakers! Ha ha.

post #7314 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I agree. I'll get out there sometime I'll bet. Problem is when I get home and I can't stop myself from clicking the buy button for some PSA speakers! Ha ha.
Ha Ha Ha... that's very possible.

post #7315 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Had the idea to potentially sell off my current surrounds to go for this smaller PSA speaker offering to better match the compression driver front sound stage I have. So I really hope this development happens.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

TV: Samsung 65" UHD LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; LG UB870; Dell 7010 SFF; Roku Ultra | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); Outlaw Audio 7125 | Front LR\C: JBL Studio 590\Studio 520C | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: JBL Pro Control CRV (2)
post #7316 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 4682
Quote:
Thanks Hop! HetfieldJames is still always welcome to check it out. No biggie
post #7317 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

I had a similar situation last year with two different forum members, but fortunately I got over it and it was a great experience. Not sure what your exact reason is but I can tell you theirs some great people on this forum. Think about it a different way, he invited you aka a stranger to his home if anything he should be nervous of you.

I hope you change your mind, it would a cool for you to hear these speakers and meet another forum member.
ahblaza, Hopinater and subacabra like this.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #7318 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Thanks Hop! HetfieldJames is still always welcome to check it out. No biggie
It's all good. One big happy home theater enthusiast family. I think we'll meet at some point.

post #7319 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Anyone here sitting 8 feet away from the 110 or 210? Will it image well at such close distance?
post #7320 of 8730 Old 09-04-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It seems to me that perhaps I should go with a 5.2.4 set up rather than a 7.2.4 and use the 110sr as surrounds in which case they will be on the rear wall where the prime elevations are and then I can add Atmos as well. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page