Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9182Likes

post #7831 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Another Update

I officially shipped back the other set of speakers I was auditioning today. The 210t's are staying. Next on the list is to finish the new av cabinet and get the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxjamb View Post
I officially shipped back the other set of speakers I was auditioning today. The 210t's are staying. Next on the list is to finish the new av cabinet and get the center.

what were you comparing the PSA’s to?

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Revel Studio2 Pair - gloss black
post #7833 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
what were you comparing the PSA’s to?
Sierra towers w/ raal
basshead81 and Mutha_uckas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7834 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 3233
Quote:

For movies the PSA are hard to beat. I compared them to 4 different speakers and these sounded the best. I am 100% movies. If you have decent subs they speakers are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coxjamb likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #7835 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
For movies the PSA are hard to beat. I compared them to 4 different speakers and these sounded the best. I am 100% movies. If you have decent subs they speakers are fantastic.

My ht setup is in my living room so we use it for movies,music,and cable tv. I would give the sierra's the advantage with music. I would say cable tv was a draw, and I would give my psa's the advantage for movies. Ultimately, the psa's sounded good enough for my music needs. I don't mean that as a dig on the psa's, more of a compliment to the sierra's. Most of my critical listening is done with headphones anyway. The psa's are also cheaper and due to their sensitivity I won't ever need more than an avr to drive them to reference volume. I fretted and thought and thought about which set to keep as both speakers had a fairly neutral signature and were very detailed. In the end, I thought the psa's were the better bang for the buck. I really had to think long and hard to come to that conclusion though. I would have no problem recommending the ascends. Both were a noticeable step up from my svs primes.
ahblaza likes this.
post #7836 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
My ht setup is in my living room so we use it for movies,music,and cable tv. I would give the sierra's the advantage with music. I would say cable tv was a draw, and I would give my psa's the advantage for movies. Ultimately, the psa's sounded good enough for my music needs. I don't mean that as a dig on the psa's, more of a compliment to the sierra's. Most of my critical listening is done with headphones anyway. The psa's are also cheaper and due to their sensitivity I won't ever need more than an avr to drive them to reference volume. I fretted and thought and thought about which set to keep as both speakers had a fairly neutral signature and were very detailed. In the end, I thought the psa's were the better bang for the buck. I really had to think long and hard to come to that conclusion though. I would have no problem recommending the ascends. Both were a noticeable step up from my svs primes.

I've eyed the PSA's a lot over the years......has always a no go from a WAF point of view

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Revel Studio2 Pair - gloss black
post #7837 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
I've eyed the PSA's a lot over the years......has always a no go from a WAF point of view
I asked my wife for her opinion. She said both were big black boxes so she didn't care, even though the the psa's were larger. I just have to keep my mouth shut when she buys a different decorative wreath for the door or over the mantle to dress up our living room with the big black boxes
serith, ahblaza and madhuski like this.

Last edited by coxjamb; 03-06-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #7838 of 8730 Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Sierra towers w/ raal
i was torn between the same decision but ultimately rolled the dice with psa. zero regrets.

*edit* - also, i use my room almost solely for movie watching so it wasn't a really hard decision. the psa speakers will go loud enough to make you deaf if you so choose, and they definitely have that movie theater style sound which is exactly what i wanted. worrying about & nuking $700 tweeters just wasn't in the budget.
coxjamb likes this.
post #7839 of 8730 Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal View Post

I went looking around and came across an arm at Monoprice that has a 200mmx200mm VESA plate to attach to an arm. This particular arm has a weight rating of 85 pounds! This seemed to more than meet the need of the MT-110SR which weigh in at 34 pounds. I purchased the arms. As it turns out, they sat around on the dining room table for a while, but that was out of my hands.

I then went over to PSA's website. I spoke with Tom a bit about arms, told him what I had chosen and asked if he had known anyone to do the same. He hadn't, but that wasn't going to stop me! I asked for a discount code and he graciously obliged. I placed the order on a Sunday (January 14, 2018). Tom let me know via chat that the woofers were on backorder and wouldn't be available for about 5-10 business days. Let me tell you friends, that felt like a lifetime! Ok not really, but I have to keep you interested.

I got to work getting the mounting plate attached to the speakers. I needed to find out the minimum height I needed to mount the arms. I took a measurement from where the plate mounts to the arm to the bottom of the speaker.

After some measurements of the arm, and some math, I grabbed a level and took it to the back of the couch. I used the level to create a mark on the wall indicating the top of the couch. I then measured up to where I wanted to install the bottom of the arm's mount. I found the stud, and drilled a large hole at only the top screw hole of the mount. I put the speaker on the arm and this is what I got.

This was way too close to the back of the couch. Someone would definitely hit their head if I left the mount there. Luckily, since I only drilled in the top hole of the arm, all I had to do was unscrew the arm and move it up! That hole became the hole for the bottom of the arm. This moved the arm up 7". It turned out to be perfect!
So you're using a TV swivel mount for your rears, very interesting. With this product, would you be able to mount it flush with the wall, and then swivel a couple inches without the speaker poking out into the room too much?
post #7840 of 8730 Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Any update on the smaller form factor speakers?
@Tom Vodhanel

ShaunH

Last edited by oneeyeblind; 03-14-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7841 of 8730 Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 10039
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
@Tom Vodhanel
Last I talked to Tom this was a project that had been pushed back (perhaps due to the S7201). Now that's been completed we're all hoping that Jim can find the time to get back around to finishing the smaller speakers. When I was up there last February Jim showed me a mock up of the speaker but that was the last I think anyone has heard about it. I hope he didn't kill the project.
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and OKGeek like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #7842 of 8730 Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Last I talked to Tom this was a project that had been pushed back (perhaps due to the S7201). Now that's been completed we're all hoping that Jim can find the time to get back around to finishing the smaller speakers. When I was up there last February Jim showed me a mock up of the speaker but that was the last I think anyone has heard about it. I hope he didn't kill the project.
He was almost done until Tom told him to ditch it for the V14400
post #7843 of 8730 Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
@Tom Vodhanel
And in-wall/on-wall with in-ceiling please

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
Dan Hitchman and oneeyeblind like this.
post #7844 of 8730 Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGeek View Post
And in-wall/on-wall with in-ceiling please

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
seriously. it annoys me that even if i spring for the side & rear spa surrounds that they don't offer anything for my heights

Last edited by serith; 03-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #7845 of 8730 Old 03-15-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
seriously. it annoys me that even if i spring for the side & rear spa surrounds that they don't offer anything for my heights
I can’t belive they don’t make a 3 inch speaker to fit in the cubby of the shelf on my desk - I am so mad at them!!!! 😀😮🙃

There isn’t a huge market for atmos speakers right now. It is probably a fraction of a percent of people that have an atmos system. They likely would spend a lot of money developing these and sell few.
ahblaza and zencarver like this.
post #7846 of 8730 Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I can’t belive they don’t make a 3 inch speaker to fit in the cubby of the shelf on my desk - I am so mad at them!!!! 😀😮🙃

There isn’t a huge market for atmos speakers right now. It is probably a fraction of a percent of people that have an atmos system. They likely would spend a lot of money developing these and sell few.
psa & jtr make the most movie-like sounding speakers for enthusiasts to purchase (imo). it really would be awesome if they added height speakers to their line-ups.
oneeyeblind and coxjamb like this.
post #7847 of 8730 Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
psa & jtr make the most movie-like sounding speakers for enthusiasts to purchase (imo). it really would be awesome if they added height speakers to their line-ups.
You ‘could’ use the PSA 110’s for hieghts if you have enough room. Could also use their surrounds for overhead. I know Tom has said it before that a smaller speaker would be prices about the same as the 110’s. Not likely he would sell a ton.

JTR has the Single 8’s that could be used but they are $900. If I were doing atmos right now I would use the DIY Sound Group Volt 8’s or Volt 6’s. For about 200 each and a little work you would have incredible atmos speakers.

I just built some Volt 10’s in the ported boxes to use on my deck this summer. Took about 2 hours of assembly and another hour of painting. They look good and sound incredible. Would probabaly have to pay $600-$800 to get comparable sound quality.

I also use 2 Volt 8’s in my living room system and 4 of them in my game room as surrounds. The 8’s or 10’s could easily be used for mains.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.

Last edited by raynist; 03-15-2018 at 12:02 PM.
post #7848 of 8730 Old 03-15-2018, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 4682
I've mentioned it a few times as well for those looking for a great height/atmos speaker that blends very well with PSA speakers the volts are top notch.
Add some grills, PSA logo and viola!
Super fun to build and you can get the crossovers pre assembled!
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #7849 of 8730 Old 03-15-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I've mentioned it a few times as well for those looking for a great height/atmos speaker that blends very well with PSA speakers the volts are top notch.
Add some grills, PSA logo and viola!
Super fun to build and you can get the crossovers pre assembled!
all i saw is the model sti in the last pic
ahblaza and subacabra like this.
post #7850 of 8730 Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Hey guys,

It’s been a while, but I just wanted to stop by and drop some positive vibes for the PSA speakers. Although I’ve been quiet around here, my 210T’s have been the exact opposite...

I love these speakers, and so does my fiancé. She actually saves her favorite shows and movies to watch on these beasties, which says a ton considering she feels her cellphone speakers are adequate for most things....

I also saw some posts about smaller PSA speakers, and I too hope those get made. I used to be among the folks waiting, until I lost my patience and built some volt 6’s (very rewarding experience btw, and the timbre match is close enough I can’t tell a difference - although my craftsmanship certainly leaves something to be desired in comparison to PSA. LOL!).

Anyways, hope all is well with everyone. I’m sure all your PSA gear is rocking your worlds, just as it does mine.

Cheers

Last edited by FattyMcButterPants; 03-16-2018 at 09:24 PM.
post #7851 of 8730 Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 8865
post #7852 of 8730 Old 03-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 97
100% LOVE my 210T's for my LCR.. nice to know I can stop looking at speakers and wondering if I am missing something when it comes to sound.
Just wish they made a surround speaker, don't think the MT-110 can throw the sound around the room like my current Dipole speakers can. They are sitting directly behind me about 4 feet from my head about 6ft apart.
Also would like to look at the 110-SR for Atmos but can't at that cost per speaker.

Enough nitpicking, I am completely in love with my 210T's.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #7853 of 8730 Old 03-22-2018, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
I used to be a big fan of dipoles myself. I'm still using my old Infinity Beta Surrounds (x4), but when I purchased my 3 210's for the front stage it made my surrounds sound even better somehow. They fill the room up so well that my rear speakers really just came to life. My Betas have a switch that can take them out of dipole mode and run like a regular speaker. With my old speakers I hated the way that sounded, but paired with the 210s they now sound better this way. No idea why, but they do! I would imagine upgrading to PSA surrounds would be pretty dramatic, but I've been in love with my current sound for a few years now.
post #7854 of 8730 Old 03-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I used to be a big fan of dipoles myself. I'm still using my old Infinity Beta Surrounds (x4), but when I purchased my 3 210's for the front stage it made my surrounds sound even better somehow. They fill the room up so well that my rear speakers really just came to life. My Betas have a switch that can take them out of dipole mode and run like a regular speaker. With my old speakers I hated the way that sounded, but paired with the 210s they now sound better this way. No idea why, but they do! I would imagine upgrading to PSA surrounds would be pretty dramatic, but I've been in love with my current sound for a few years now.
I would use the 110's for side firing surround, but don't have the space for that, which is why I have stayed with my Dipole speakers.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
post #7855 of 8730 Old 03-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Have you ever considered in-walls for surrounds? They've come a long way and might give you the option for side and rear surrounds.
post #7856 of 8730 Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=drunkpenguin;55903534]Have you ever considered in-walls for surrounds? They've come a long way and might give you the option for side and rear surrounds.[/QUOTE

Can't do those with my room layout, which is why I have only had 5.1 with my surrounds being behind me.

post #7857 of 8730 Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 PM

Got word that my media console would be done soon so I ordered a mtm210-c to go with my towers. Will update with pics once everything is setup.
Phil1975m, ss nimrod and Sekosche like this.
post #7858 of 8730 Old 03-25-2018, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 3414
Quote:
Got word that my media console would be done soon so I ordered a mtm210-c to go with my towers. Will update with pics once everything is setup.

Sweet!

What company did you end up going with for the console, and is it a custom fit/design? I’m debating building a new one...having someone else do it is less time consuming but not as fun as I enjoy casual woodwork.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #7859 of 8730 Old 03-25-2018, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

just finished putting up a piece of fabric (painters drop cloth) roughly where my faux-wall will be created to get an idea on how large my new screen will be. in the sweet spot where 16:9 & 2.35:1 content looks great i have a width of 116" & 66" tall which will yield me a ~135" acoustically transparent screen (up from the current 96" wide & 55" tall 110" screen i have now). going to talk to tom and order the third 210T tower tomorrow.

progress pictures if anyone is curious: https://imgur.com/a/n3azd
post #7860 of 8730 Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Sweet!

What company did you end up going with for the console, and is it a custom fit/design? I’m debating building a new one...having someone else do it is less time consuming but not as fun as I enjoy casual woodwork.
I had a local contractor take some old barnwood he had and build one to my specs and stain it for me. Not easy finding one with a shelf big enough for a mtm 210-c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page