Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread - Page 264 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9180Likes

post #7891 of 8725 Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 4665
Ooh man! PSA's really shining in this scene from Den of Thieves!
rustolemite, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 8725 Old 04-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
What did you use to mount the 110s to the walls?

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
post #7893 of 8725 Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceDH View Post
The 110's are on a Pangea stand and on top of one of my s3601's. The surrounds and heights are actually volt 6's I made to resemble the PSA'S
But the mounts I used on the volts are Vidsecure mounts. Very sturdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7894 of 8725 Old 04-26-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
https://youtu.be/6rgrMcULC2k
OT, rent or buy?
post #7895 of 8725 Old 04-26-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
OT, rent or buy?
Buy the blu ray fo sho!
post #7896 of 8725 Old 04-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I think that's a wise move my friend, I had MTM 210s LCR with MT 110s surrounds and the combination was seamless and enveloping. I never heard the 110SR as I preferred a stand mount surround(s) and couldn't believe the difference it made to have matching drivers all around, I also had the opportunity to have all LCR and Surrs the exact same, all MT 110s, you can't go wrong with any combination. I'm from the camp that surrounds are very important and you don't know what you're missing till you have it............good luck and enjoy.
After reading your post are you still using PSA's? When using the 110's as surrounds where were they positioned?
I have my surround speakers sitting right behind me about 3 foot from either side of my head, it is the only location I have for them and they are about 4 feet off the ground.
Mine are currently Dipole speakers but had been thinking about going all PSA, LCR are 210T's, but didn't know how well a forward firing speaker in this location could do "surround sound".

Thanks

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #7897 of 8725 Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
After reading your post are you still using PSA's? When using the 110's as surrounds where were they positioned?
I have my surround speakers sitting right behind me about 3 foot from either side of my head, it is the only location I have for them and they are about 4 feet off the ground.
Mine are currently Dipole speakers but had been thinking about going all PSA, LCR are 210T's, but didn't know how well a forward firing speaker in this location could do "surround sound".

Thanks
I think the 110s would work well for you on stands or above the floor four feet directly behind you, I much prefer a direct radiating design regardless of orientation, that's just me though. I think being that close to your head can be compensated for if you could fire the 110s left and right in either direction of your head and not so much straight forward. Running REQ will also compensate for the levels and not blast your head firing directly at it, they should provide a nice wider dispersion pattern as well if you can manage to angle them both outward away from your head.

I was the first person to own any of the PSA speakers and never realized how important it was to have the surrounds MT 110s to match my MTM 210s, it opened a whole new level to my listening experience. I originally wanted to go with all 210s but was so satisfied with the 110s I didn't feel the need, they are that good. I couldn't wait to tell my friends on this forum how good these speakers were and what a difference the 110s made as surrounds, I like to think I had something to do with most of the folks getting the 110s for both mains and surrounds, like I said many times you don't know until you try them. You can audition them for sixty days, if they don't work for you it's not a big expense to return them, I doubt you will......good luck
post #7898 of 8725 Old 04-27-2018, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I think the 110s would work well for you on stands or above the floor four feet directly behind you, I much prefer a direct radiating design regardless of orientation, that's just me though. I think being that close to your head can be compensated for if you could fire the 110s left and right in either direction of your head and not so much straight forward. Running REQ will also compensate for the levels and not blast your head firing directly at it, they should provide a nice wider dispersion pattern as well if you can manage to angle them both outward away from your head.

I was the first person to own any of the PSA speakers and never realized how important it was to have the surrounds MT 110s to match my MTM 210s, it opened a whole new level to my listening experience. I originally wanted to go with all 210s but was so satisfied with the 110s I didn't feel the need, they are that good. I couldn't wait to tell my friends on this forum how good these speakers were and what a difference the 110s made as surrounds, I like to think I had something to do with most of the folks getting the 110s for both mains and surrounds, like I said many times you don't know until you try them. You can audition them for sixty days, if they don't work for you it's not a big expense to return them, I doubt you will......good luck
Thanks for the response. Yes they stand are about 4 feet off the floor and I could angle them so that they turn to the left and right instead of straight ahead.
I was just worried that you would lose some sound when moving away from the Dipole speaker.

Thanks

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
post #7899 of 8725 Old 04-27-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Thanks for the response. Yes they stand are about 4 feet off the floor and I could angle them so that they turn to the left and right instead of straight ahead.
I was just worried that you would lose some sound when moving away from the Dipole speaker.

Thanks
That used to be the norm with using Dipole speakers, since then direct radiating with a CD loaded horn 10" driver speaker can be more enveloping than dipole speakers, I think the 110s will complete that holographic circle of sound created by the 210Ts.
post #7900 of 8725 Old 04-28-2018, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Living Room Update

I still have baskets to get to go by the center and the rug and furniture need tweaking but I can see daylight. Spent several hours yesterday routing cables and plugs.
serith, h3ro, rustolemite and 3 others like this.

Last edited by coxjamb; 10-25-2018 at 11:14 AM.
post #7901 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 910
It took a number of hours, but i have finally managed to read this entire thread. I’m an owner of dual v3601’s, but as many others have, i was dismissive of horn speakers, fearing they would be overly bright. I’m now convinced that is not the case, at least with PSA’s. My previous speakers were Ascend Sierra 1’s (great for music, not as good for HT), and I now own Golden Ear Triton 5’s, which I like, but I’m still not convinced they’re ideal for HT. The plan for me now is to audition a set of 210T’s and if that is successful, 2 more sets for the surround sides and back (i recognize that some would consider this overkill, but that’s how i roll). I also already run the front stage in phantom mode. I know we’ve all been told that this is not the ideal way, but experience and experimentation has taught me that phantom is the way to go, and these lend themselves to this configuration beautifully. I have 4 JBL 828c’s in the ceiling for Atmos and i think they’ll blend in nicely with the 210T’s. This thread has raised expectations very high for the 210T’s, so i sincerely hope I’m not one of the tiny minority who don’t care for them. I’m eager to begin this journey, and grateful to all who have posted and shared their experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7902 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked: 10019
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
It took a number of hours, but i have finally managed to read this entire thread. I’m an owner of dual v3601’s, but as many others have, i was dismissive of horn speakers, fearing they would be overly bright. I’m now convinced that is not the case, at least with PSA’s. My previous speakers were Ascend Sierra 1’s (great for music, not as good for HT), and I now own Golden Ear Triton 5’s, which I like, but I’m still not convinced they’re ideal for HT. The plan for me now is to audition a set of 210T’s and if that is successful, 2 more sets for the surround sides and back (i recognize that some would consider this overkill, but that’s how i roll). I also already run the front stage in phantom mode. I know we’ve all been told that this is not the ideal way, but experience and experimentation has taught me that phantom is the way to go, and these lend themselves to this configuration beautifully. I have 4 JBL 828c’s in the ceiling for Atmos and i think they’ll blend in nicely with the 210T’s. This thread has raised expectations very high for the 210T’s, so i sincerely hope I’m not one of the tiny minority who don’t care for them. I’m eager to begin this journey, and grateful to all who have posted and shared their experiences.
That's cool that you took the time to read through this entire thread, that's serious commitment to doing your research.

Since you've read this entire thread I know you already know this, but I love my 210T's. I think they do an incredible job immersing you in the middle of the action in movies. And the way they image should work well for you since you run a phantom center. I hope you like them as much as well like ours but speakers are very subjective so only time will tell. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions.
rustolemite likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #7903 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
That's cool that you took the time to read through this entire thread, that's serious commitment to doing your research.

Since you've read this entire thread I know you already know this, but I love my 210T's. I think they do an incredible job immersing you in the middle of the action in movies. And the way they image should work well for you since you run a phantom center. I hope you like them as much as well like ours but speakers are very subjective so only time will tell. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions.

Thanks Hop, and your positive take on the 210T’s (as well as those of others) promoted me to go in that direction. I value bass highly in all of its forms, and I believe the 210T’s will deliver all that is asked down to 80hz, as well as all the imaging and detail you and others have observed. Just waiting to hear back from Tom on when this journey can begin.

Hopinater likes this.
post #7904 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
After reading this thread and going through three sets of speaker systems in 3 months I finally placed a order for 3 MTM210's with one being the center version. Talked to Tom multiple times and I was considering the 11, which to be honest would probably have worked just fine but I did not want to be kicking myself in a couple of months with the What If questions. I placed the order this morning so hopefully I can get them before the weekend.

Need to decide on surrounds though and was thinking of going the DIYSG Volt 8's. Any suggestions? I am currently running a 5.1.2 system and have the atmos speakers covered but need to get 2 surround speakers.
SuperFist and Hopinater like this.
post #7905 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
I would go with the Volt 10s if space and budget allow. More capable and can keep up with the 210s.
post #7906 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Order placed for a pair of 210T’s. Now begins the waiting...

serith, SuperFist, ahblaza and 2 others like this.
post #7907 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta1345 View Post
After reading this thread and going through three sets of speaker systems in 3 months I finally placed a order for 3 MTM210's with one being the center version. Talked to Tom multiple times and I was considering the 11, which to be honest would probably have worked just fine but I did not want to be kicking myself in a couple of months with the What If questions. I placed the order this morning so hopefully I can get them before the weekend.

Need to decide on surrounds though and was thinking of going the DIYSG Volt 8's. Any suggestions? I am currently running a 5.1.2 system and have the atmos speakers covered but need to get 2 surround speakers.
If you can't go with the 110's or 110SR's I would go with the Volt 10's as Pradeep suggested. If you can't go with those the Volt 8's should work fine from what I've read.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #7908 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Order placed for a pair of 210T’s. Now begins the waiting...

congrats! you will love them.

honestly i consider myself (and the rest of us here) extremely lucky to have stumbled upon these speakers. i've heard so many different makes/models over the years. i see how frustrated people can get cycling through speakers and never being truly happy. for home cinema use, i think the 210's are phenomenal--there's almost something magical about how they sound. they're still great for 2 channel music use too, but i do prefer a slightly warmer speaker for that (my father's paradigm signature s8's may have spoiled me a little [not exactly a fair fight though, $2k vs $6k]). however for home cinema, i much prefer the psa towers. funny enough a friend commented about how it will be such a pain to remove the speakers from behind my screen if i ever decide to upgrade them. it just made me pause and laugh because i don't think i'll ever be in the market for speakers again (at least for this room).
ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #7909 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
congrats! you will love them.

honestly i consider myself (and the rest of us here) extremely lucky to have stumbled upon these speakers. i've heard so many different makes/models over the years. i see how frustrated people can get cycling through speakers and never being truly happy. for home cinema use, i think the 210's are phenomenal--there's almost something magical about how they sound. they're still great for 2 channel music use too, but i do prefer a slightly warmer speaker for that (my father's paradigm signature s8's may have spoiled me a little [not exactly a fair fight though, $2k vs $6k]). however for home cinema, i much prefer the psa towers. funny enough a friend commented about how it will be such a pain to remove the speakers from behind my screen if i ever decide to upgrade them. it just made me pause and laugh because i don't think i'll ever be in the market for speakers again (at least for this room).

Thanks for the affirmation, it is due to your comments (and that of many others) that encouraged me to take this step. I also prefer a warm, laid back sound, but for my application (nearly 100% HT), these should fit the bill perfectly. If i find them a bit bright (after several weeks) i would consider a bit of adjustment on the high end with the PEQ’s built into my Yamaha 3060, but most owners (and certainly Tom) would find that unnecessary and possibly sacrilegious!

serith and ahblaza like this.
post #7910 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
If you can't go with the 110's or 110SR's I would go with the Volt 10's as Pradeep suggested. If you can't go with those the Volt 8's should work fine from what I've read.
I might just by a pair of 110's. I will have to see in a couple of weeks. Just sent Tom an email to see if I could add the 110's to the order.

I have a SVS PB-12/+2 that I have had for years and I see that PSA has a V1500 in the overstock and I was wondering if yall think it would be worth it?
Hopinater likes this.
post #7911 of 8725 Old 04-30-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta1345 View Post
I might just by a pair of 110's. I will have to see in a couple of weeks. Just sent Tom an email to see if I could add the 110's to the order.

I have a SVS PB-12/+2 that I have had for years and I see that PSA has a V1500 in the overstock and I was wondering if yall think it would be worth it?
I think it would be. The V1500 is a pretty serious subwoofer. I owned it's predecessor the PSA XV15SE for a number of years and loved that sub.

Since Tom V of PSA was the "V" in SVS I'm pretty sure he was the one who designed and helped build the SVS PB12/+2. He would be the one who could tell you exactly what you would be gaining if you went that route. He could give you the numbers comparing the two subs in a heart beat, I would stop by in "Chat" and talk with him if you get a chance.
serith and Pradeep2 like this.

post #7912 of 8725 Old 05-01-2018, 04:18 PM

I just got my psa 110s in the mail from @denhwk ... I am trying to switch one of the 110s to a 110c by rotsting the tweeter. I took out the screws, but how do i get the tweeter out without hurting anything? Its a pretty snug fit...

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
post #7913 of 8725 Old 05-02-2018, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
If it's not budging remove the 10" and then push the horn out from the inside.
post #7914 of 8725 Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 3220
Quote:
I just got my psa 110s in the mail from @denhwk ... I am trying to switch one of the 110s to a 110c by rotsting the tweeter. I took out the screws, but how do i get the tweeter out without hurting anything? Its a pretty snug fit...

Talk to Tom and he will walk you through.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #7915 of 8725 Old 05-02-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Take all but one screw out and loosen the one left a bit, you can tilt the speaker forward and tap one corner of the WG (wave guide) just so it releases, keep your hand on the WG as it's fairly heavy with the CD attached. You can use one of the screws you took out to kind of pull the WG out as well. Good luck.
post #7916 of 8725 Old 05-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You need to get 13 Hours if you don't have it already the gun battles in there are the best I have heard. The main battle when they are on the rooftops of the CIA outpost are AMAZING.

post #7917 of 8725 Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Alright, with everybody's help i was able to rotate the tweeter. Now ive got my L C R setup how i want it.

Tomorrow should be fun. My umik 1 is supposed to arrive as well as a fv25hp to add to my fv15hp. Hopefully i can get all the new toys nice and dialed in!

Also, without really any tinkering/adjustments these psa's are SO much better than the polks i had up front. I can already tell these are going to be amazing. Just have to pocket some money for a couple more 110s for surround duty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

post #7918 of 8725 Old 05-03-2018, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alright, with everybody's help i was able to rotate the tweeter. Now ive got my L C R setup how i want it.

Tomorrow should be fun. My umik 1 is supposed to arrive as well as a fv25hp to add to my fv15hp. Hopefully i can get all the new toys nice and dialed in!

Also, without really any tinkering/adjustments these psa's are SO much better than the polks i had up front. I can already tell these are going to be amazing. Just have to pocket some money for a couple more 110s for surround duty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Congrats. I upgraded my surrounds to the 110sr and the difference was night and day.

Pradeep2 likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #7919 of 8725 Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Congrats. I upgraded my surrounds to the 110sr and the difference was night and day.

i'm actually worried that the 110 surrounds are almost too large for my room. they'll fit fine in the rear, but when you walk into my room i have the left side surround right there which i'm afraid will stick out too far. i'd recess it into the wall but i wouldn't gain much. i think it would be silly to upgrade the rears but not the sides. hmm..

7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
post #7920 of 8725 Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
i'm actually worried that the 110 surrounds are almost too large for my room. they'll fit fine in the rear, but when you walk into my room i have the left side surround right there which i'm afraid will stick out too far. i'd recess it into the wall but i wouldn't gain much. i think it would be silly to upgrade the rears but not the sides. hmm..

I would look at the angled 110sr rather than the 110. They would sit more flush to the wall. I used to be in the same space where I did not think surrounds would be an important part of the system but man I was wrong. With the capable mains we have we need a capable surround speaker. A good 5.1 system is way better than a mediocre 7.1.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page