Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread - Page 269 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9560Likes

post #8041 of 8909 Old 05-20-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 5048
Nothing to see here...just selling PSA speakers is all
serith, Jim Farina, vardo and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8909 Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Oh don't get me wrong that data would be very valuable---to the right business model. If we were in the t shirt business and selling 100 a day..yeah give me ALL the data..

And the guy promoting the (banner)value to us is a really good guy too. I've known him since way back when(2000?) and he really wanted us to "get to" all of these products. Selling 100 sound bars a day and not even coming into work maybe once a month. It's not impossible come to think of it...hmmm...

Jim would watch the traffic much more than I would. I still remember him coming into my office and asking "did you and shajy get into it again? Because our traffic just went up 500% today".

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

That reminds me of one of my favorite companies I’ve come across in my career. Three guys realized that 1. They all loved drinking Arnold Palmers 2. Everywhere they went everyone knew what an Arnold Palmer was and it was generally liked by everyone, and 3. They couldn’t find a pre-mixed Arnold Palmer anywhere. So they executed a 3 part strategy: part 1, sign a licensing deal with the man himself to have permission to use his name and likeness, part 2 sign a contract with a large soft drink manufacturer to create and package the drink, part 3 collect checks and golf every day. Pretty good work if you can get it!

The sound bar thing seems like a sub-brand if anything to me. Any good quality 5.25” drivers that could be paired with a low profile compression tweeter in a lower profile l/c/r array and crossed over to a Tom & Jim designed 12” sub or two tuned to 30 hz or so? Totally killer for a small system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut likes this.
post #8043 of 8909 Old 05-20-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 11472
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Nothing to see here...just selling PSA speakers is all
Awesome. Mind if I help sell some products too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Night and PSA.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	2405288  

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8044 of 8909 Old 05-20-2018, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
@Tom Vodhanel

i have a tiny youtube channel documenting my home theater evolution from when i first started to furnish it with equipment to present (average view count for these ~18 videos is ~4.5k/ea or ~80k total). i have heavily advocated for & promoted both psa speakers & rythmik subwoofers, and i know for a fact that i have driven multiple rythmik sub sales. i can't say the same for psa speakers sales (that i know of) but if i was the deciding factor for any it makes me smile. in the past when i have been on the fence deciding between equipment for my home theater, i know every review you can find helps immensely. before i pulled the trigger on the 210t's i think i only found 2-3 written reviews and a single video review for the 110's, so i'm happy to help others. very happy to hear psa is doing so well, keep up the great work!
I’m loving your videos I just subscribed keep the videos coming Serith.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #8045 of 8909 Old 05-20-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
haha thanks. i wish i had documented creating the room better on video (framing, electrical, drywall, etc). it wasn't until i had the room carpeted & painted when i started to vigilantly document all of the changes i was making getting it setup & furnished. i figured while i was at it, why not share with others online? sometimes it's really hard to find a review for a piece of equipment you want, never-mind a video (or maybe just to get inspired by someone with their design or ideas). also cool to show people what you can do with limited space. i wish every day that my room was larger (namely taller ceilings), but i did the best i could with what i have right now. i'm not here to plug my channel at all, it's tiny & not monetized but if anyone wants to check it out just search youtube for the model of my subwoofer. not many others (none?) with 3 of them and the ugliest couch on the internet.
post #8046 of 8909 Old 05-21-2018, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What atmos speakers are a tone/timbre/volume etc match to the PSA surrounds?
post #8047 of 8909 Old 05-21-2018, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post

What is the Youtube channel?

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha RX-A3080
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #8048 of 8909 Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 3006 Post(s)
Liked: 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyus_ View Post

People have successfully used the volts 6s. If you cannot build speakers then svs prime elevations are a good choice too.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #8049 of 8909 Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
What is the Youtube channel?
i mentioned below in another post how you can find it--i don't feel comfortable just blatantly plugging something for myself here. documenting the progression & evolution of my theater is just something i've been doing for the past 6 months or so for fun.
post #8050 of 8909 Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked: 3591
Quote:
Depends what size driver and box your place can handle, do you plan on-in ceiling mounting, sealed or ported. The DIYSG Volt 6 is the closest timbre match that I have experienced to the PSA, they can be built in a ported or sealed box, sealed has limited extension and smaller than the ported box, same 6" driver and CD.
vardo likes this.
post #8051 of 8909 Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 AM

The same recommendation from two people eh?

However when I think of Atmos speakers I think of ceiling mounted or in ceiling speakers. Those diysg6 things are pretty huge and therefore I don’t think suitable for Atmos. And if I was going to go the speaker DIY route, why not go the 12’ version for the mains as well?
post #8052 of 8909 Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The same recommendation from two people eh?

However when I think of Atmos speakers I think of ceiling mounted or in ceiling speakers. Those diysg6 things are pretty huge and therefore I don’t think suitable for Atmos. And if I was going to go the speaker DIY route, why not go the 12’ version for the mains as well?
I'm of the same mindset as you, I just couldn't bring myself to put the Volt 6's on my ceiling. From an audio perspective I wanted to try them but they're pretty big and my wife confirmed that she was opposed to it. So I just bought the RSL C34E in ceiling speakers for Atmos use.

I wish PSA had come out with something but truth be told I'm not all that worried about matching my Atmos channels to the rest of the set up due to the content that Atmos usually handles. I asked Tom about Atmos speaker recommendations last year and he said he thought the in ceiling speakers like the one's from RSL would do fine with the PSA set up.... so we'll see.

Anyway, they'll be getting installed in about a week so I'll pop back in and let you all know my impressions of them.
JosephTonyStark and Troyus_ like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

post #8053 of 8909 Old 05-23-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:

I believe Tom has recommended the JBL control series as a good match for PSA (which i was fortunate enough to install prior to buying a pair of 210T’s). They are more pricey than the RSL’s however, so if budget is an issue, I’d stick with the RSL’s...

Hopinater likes this.
post #8054 of 8909 Old 05-23-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, price is an issue but I've heard a lot of good things about these RSL speakers so I'm pretty sure they'll do well. But if they don't, I have 30 days in home trial so if need be I'll be able to send them back and try something else.

post #8055 of 8909 Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 3641
I have been wanting to replace my four SVS satellites that I have for Atmos, but I can’t seem to find much outside of DIY that uses an efficient driver. The DIY speakers all weigh a bit too much to use with my current SVS wall mounts that are only good for under 8 or 10lbs, but the mounts do work well for getting the right angle for each speaker. Making a custom enclosure or mount could be an interesting project but time consuming, and we won’t be in this home forever; so I’d rather not go down that road.

Most every Atmos oriented speaker I’ve seen is 88dB sensitivity or lower which is fine for most rooms when used overhead. I realize enclosure size plays a role here, but I’d like something a little more efficient, because my front height speakers are 16-18’ away from the MLP and Audyssey calibration sets those speaker trims a too close to 0 with no headroom for where I’m comfortable to avoid clipping, usually -1dB or occasionally even coming back right at 0dB. Of course all my PSA speakers just sip power when compared to the 85dB efficiency of the little SVS satellites.

Decisions decisions

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #8056 of 8909 Old 05-24-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I have been wanting to replace my four SVS satellites that I have for Atmos, but I can’t seem to find much outside of DIY that uses an efficient driver. The DIY speakers all weigh a bit too much to use with my current SVS wall mounts that are only good for under 8 or 10lbs, but the mounts do work well for getting the right angle for each speaker. Making a custom enclosure or mount could be an interesting project but time consuming, and we won’t be in this home forever; so I’d rather not go down that road.

Most every Atmos oriented speaker I’ve seen is 88dB sensitivity or lower which is fine for most rooms when used overhead. I realize enclosure size plays a role here, but I’d like something a little more efficient, because my front height speakers are 16-18’ away from the MLP and Audyssey calibration sets those speaker trims a too close to 0 with no headroom for where I’m comfortable to avoid clipping, usually -1dB or occasionally even coming back right at 0dB. Of course all my PSA speakers just sip power when compared to the 85dB efficiency of the little SVS satellites.

Decisions decisions

Another option might be a more more powerful amp to increase headroom.

post #8057 of 8909 Old 05-24-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post

Decisions decisions

You said it brother!!!!!

I've spent the last 18 months in limbo simply because I have gone back and forth between building and mounting the Volt 6's or buying something else. On ceiling or in ceiling? Which way should I go. I finally took the time to explain my dilemma to my wife and tried to get her to imagine what the volt 6's would look mounted in the middle of the ceiling with wire runs running to them.

She looked at me and said "That would look terrible." This actually made me feel better because I don't have a dedicated HT and having huge boxes hanging off my ceiling gave me trepidation. Luckily her reaction took that dilemma away.... in ceiling it was. And I like the those RSL speakers due to their design and their ability to be pointed at the seats.

To be honest choosing how to do Atmos has been the most difficult decision I'm made yet in all my HT decisions.

post #8058 of 8909 Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 5048
Wow! What an awesome surprise from Tom!! Two custom kids size PSA t-shirts and another coffee mug!!
I can't wait to show my son, he's going to love them They're perfect.
Thank you so much!!!
serith, pspoar, Hopinater and 4 others like this.
post #8059 of 8909 Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Wow! What an awesome surprise from Tom!! Two custom kids size PSA t-shirts and another coffee mug!!
I can't wait to show my son, he's going to love them They're perfect.
Thank you so much!!!
Very cool. Little guy is gonna love it I'm sure. Very cool on Tom's part.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
subacabra likes this.
post #8060 of 8909 Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

Anyway, they'll be getting installed in about a week so I'll pop back in and let you all know my impressions of them.
Looking forward to hearing how they go
post #8061 of 8909 Old 05-27-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked: 10484
Hi all,

quick update.

All of the MT110 and MTM210 cabinets scheduled to arrive in about 3 weeks have now been sold. I have emails out to the cabinet supplier asking(begging) to see if we can increase the quantities for both. I told him even another 6-9(of each) would be most welcome. But I believe those guys are on a 3-day weekend(loafers) so I probably won't hear back until Tuesday.

We still have plenty of towers and a fair amount of surrounds available(once the shipment arrives in mid june).

Thanks to all for the orders, it is very much appreciated.

We're taking action to ensure a better flow of cabinets in the future..

Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
serith likes this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #8062 of 8909 Old 05-29-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked: 10484
Hi all,

I spoke with the cabinet guys in Cincinnati this morning and I was able to arrange for more MT110 and MTM210 cabinets to arrive with the big shipment in mid June.

So As of today(may not last long.)...any new speaker order will ship in June. Please email me or pop into chat if you have any further questions about bundle pricing, availability, etc.

Thanks!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
LCSeminole and Pradeep2 like this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #8063 of 8909 Old 05-29-2018, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Yep, price is an issue but I've heard a lot of good things about these RSL speakers so I'm pretty sure they'll do well. But if they don't, I have 30 days in home trial so if need be I'll be able to send them back and try something else.

Please do post your thoughts on how they integrate with your current setup. I have PSA 210Ts and a 210C and am looking at the same RSL speakers for Atmos.
post #8064 of 8909 Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing how they go
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperztoll View Post
Please do post your thoughts on how they integrate with your current setup. I have PSA 210Ts and a 210C and am looking at the same RSL speakers for Atmos.
Will do.

post #8065 of 8909 Old 06-01-2018, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Surrounds Can't Keep up

Need some thoughts from the board. This year I have recently upgraded my lcr with 210t,210c and my sub to an s3000i and I am loving them. Got to take a break on the upgrades for awhile though. My problem is my surrounds. They are 4 def tech promonitor 1000's which worked ok with my previous lcr which were much less efficient than my 210's. So I have been working on integrating my sub and center and have them about squared away and finally turned the surrounds back on to run ypao again. Well, my yamaha set the mains at 0 and the surrounds at +7. That makes sense since one is 98db efficiency and the other around 90 or 91. I have read that it is wrong to leave the trims that high due to potential clipping so I lowered them to around +2.5 which caused me to lower the mains to around -4.5 on the channel trim levels. I go and watch tron legacy last night and even with the trims like they are the mains still drown out the surrounds. Also, I had to turn the master volume up more than normal to hear everything due to lowering the mains so much. In the end, the mains and surrounds just didn't seem to play well together. Should I just disconnect the surrounds till I can get some 110sr? Anybody else running unworthy surrounds?
post #8066 of 8909 Old 06-01-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxjamb View Post
Need some thoughts from the board. This year I have recently upgraded my lcr with 210t,210c and my sub to an s3000i and I am loving them. Got to take a break on the upgrades for awhile though. My problem is my surrounds. They are 4 def tech promonitor 1000's which worked ok with my previous lcr which were much less efficient than my 210's. So I have been working on integrating my sub and center and have them about squared away and finally turned the surrounds back on to run ypao again. Well, my yamaha set the mains at 0 and the surrounds at +7. That makes sense since one is 98db efficiency and the other around 90 or 91. I have read that it is wrong to leave the trims that high due to potential clipping so I lowered them to around +2.5 which caused me to lower the mains to around -4.5 on the channel trim levels. I go and watch tron legacy last night and even with the trims like they are the mains still drown out the surrounds. Also, I had to turn the master volume up more than normal to hear everything due to lowering the mains so much. In the end, the mains and surrounds just didn't seem to play well together. Should I just disconnect the surrounds till I can get some 110sr? Anybody else running unworthy surrounds?

Or move your seating temporarily closer to the surrounds if not hearing them bothers you? Agree you need the 110sr to play well with the mains or go DIY get build some volts 10s. I was in the same boat and torn between getting atmos or better surrounds and in all cases I think a better 5 speaker set up will trump atmos or side surrounds etc.

Pradeep2 and coxjamb like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD

Last edited by imureh; 06-01-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #8067 of 8909 Old 06-01-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxjamb View Post

I also have 210T’s in the front, and tiny Cambridge Audio surrounds (until i can get another set of 210T’s). I’m my situation, the surrounds are set higher, but not enough to cause a problem. If i were you, I’d either remove your existing surrounds, or replace them with something more efficient. Best of luck!

coxjamb likes this.
post #8068 of 8909 Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Appreciate the thoughts guys.

I will probably just unplug them till I can get some 110sr. The pm 1000's are mounted up on the wall and angled down so I can't really move them. My couch already sits in the middle of them so not much I can do there either. The 110sr are perfect as far as they are angled down already and meant to be on wall so I atleast know what my next upgrade should be
ahblaza and healthnut like this.
post #8069 of 8909 Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked: 3591
@imureh Hey Ray did you get your 4300 squared away yet or do you have to send it off for repair, I still have a new in the box 4300 I bought from Amazon 7 months ago, I haven't built my Atmos speakers yet so I never installed the 4300, I hope I don't have any problems with it. Yours was fine until recently right, something with wifi (network) not connecting anymore?

Cheers Jeffrey
post #8070 of 8909 Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@imureh Hey Ray did you get your 4300 squared away yet or do you have to send it off for repair, I still have a new in the box 4300 I bought from Amazon 7 months ago, I haven't built my Atmos speakers yet so I never installed the 4300, I hope I don't have any problems with it. Yours was fine until recently right, something with wifi (network) not connecting anymore?

Cheers Jeffrey

Hey Jeffrey, yes my friend it had to be shipped for repair. All of a sudden the Wifi stopped connecting and it would not find any networks. I tried with an Ethernet cable as well and it kept telling me to connect a cable. Cost me $82 with shipping and insurance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page