AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1683506-official-power-sound-audio-speaker-thread.html)

Alan P 06-14-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Julian (Post 58178676)
Room is really big, plus it is open to the kitchen, open to the hallway, open to the piano room, etc.... its basically the entire first floor of my house. Acoustically it is no bueno. My rudimentary sense of audio tells me to put big speakers in there.

I will probably shoot a 360 video and send it to Tom before final purchase to see if he thinks I'm right.

With subs, it's important to take into account all of the open space...with speakers, the only thing you need to be concerned with is the distance to the MLP.

Dave Ol 06-16-2019 11:19 AM

MT 110SR as ATMOS on top of MTM 210's?

Question for the group.

BACKGROUND: I currently have MTM 210's LCR for the front sound stage. A while back I added two Klipsch RP-140SA for my front atmos speakers. I have them sitting on top of the left and right 210's as I have no real way of mounting anything on the wall or ceiling that the wife would approve of (family room set up, not a dedicated HT). My ceiling is at 9ft and the atmos speakers sound ok bouncing off the ceiling (but I'm sure not ideal). I only have front atmos speakers, no rears.

THE QUESTION: I am wondering if replacing the Klipsch with MT 110SR speakers (sitting on top of the 210's) would work (bouncing off the ceiling) as the Klipsch do, and maybe add a little to the atmos experience. I know this is not their design intent, but the angle seems similar to the angle on the Klipsch. Not to mention, it would look a LOT better as the Klipsch look a little out of place on top of the 210's as they are so small. :eek:

Curious to your thoughts.

imureh 06-16-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Ol (Post 58189624)
Question for the group.

BACKGROUND: I currently have MTM 210's LCR for the front sound stage. A while back I added two Klipsch RP-140SA for my front atmos speakers. I have them sitting on top of the left and right 210's as I have no real way of mounting anything on the wall or ceiling that the wife would approve of (family room set up, not a dedicated HT). My ceiling is at 9ft and the atmos speakers sound ok bouncing off the ceiling (but I'm sure not ideal). I only have front atmos speakers, no rears.

THE QUESTION: I am wondering if replacing the Klipsch with MT 110SR speakers (sitting on top of the 210's) would work (bouncing off the ceiling) as the Klipsch do, and maybe add a little to the atmos experience. I know this is not their design intent, but the angle seems similar to the angle on the Klipsch. Not to mention, it would look a LOT better as the Klipsch look a little out of place on top of the 210's as they are so small. :eek:

Curious to your thoughts.

They are not designed to work in that capacity. Are you able to mount on ceiling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Ol 06-16-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imureh (Post 58189776)
They are not designed to work in that capacity. Are you able to mount on ceiling?

Unfortunately, no, and still maintain my marriage. :eek:

They look to be the same angle as the Klipsch when sitting on a level surface - which is why I was thinking if the Klipsch would work, why not the MT's? Trying to think outside the box here. I don't think the Klipsch have any secret design, and I think they are just speakers that are angled but maybe I am missing something. :rolleyes:

Marc Alexander 06-16-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Ol (Post 58189876)
They look to be the same angle as the Klipsch when sitting on a level surface - which is why I was thinking if the Klipsch would work, why not the MT's? Trying to think outside the box here. I don't think the Klipsch have any secret design, and I think they are just speakers that are angled but maybe I am missing something. :rolleyes:

There is more to the Dolby elevation speakers than the angle.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...on-speakers-p2

I have heard instances of standard speakers bouncing from the ceiling working very well. However, all of these were temporary setups with upfiring speakers placed much higher than ear level, relatively close to the ceiling.

The PSAs couldbe made to work. There are just so many other, better ways to setup overhead channels. I don't believe it is worth the money, time and effort to replace the current Klipsch with the PSAs.

Dave Ol 06-16-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Alexander (Post 58189936)
There is more to the Dolby elevation speakers than the angle.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...on-speakers-p2

I have heard instances of standard speakers bouncing from the ceiling working very well. However, all of these were temporary setups with upfiring speakers placed much higher than ear level, relatively close to the ceiling.

The PSAs couldbe made to work. There are just so many other, better ways to setup overhead channels. I don't believe it is worth the money, time and effort to replace the current Klipsch with the PSAs.

Great info Marc! And thanks for the link. Very informative.

oneeyeblind 06-20-2019 06:14 PM

Hmmmmm

PSA just posted this on Facebook!

"Hi all,
Welcome to Team Power.
Every meal's a feast, every check's a fortune, every day is an adventure.
More new toys for R/D."

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...02&oe=5D7F1371

Pradeep2 06-23-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyeblind (Post 58209238)
Hmmmmm

PSA just posted this on Facebook!

"Hi all,
Welcome to Team Power.
Every meal's a feast, every check's a fortune, every day is an adventure.
More new toys for R/D."

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...02&oe=5D7F1371

Looks like an ipalmod? Uses a differential pressure sensor to optimize response via feedback loop....there are commercial subs using this tech but I think the cheapest is over 5k. Very exciting news, maybe this is whats going to be used in the yet to be released big boy ported sub?

https://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/o...utions/ipalmod

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bear123 06-23-2019 04:44 PM

8500 watts at 1R. :eek::eek:

Sounds perfect. :D

Tom Riddle 07-01-2019 02:34 PM

Anyone come from Klipsch Speakers to PSA's? I currently have the Klipsch RF-7 II towers and Klipsch RC-64 II center and am curious how the PSA MTM-210T's and 210C would compare.

ereed 07-02-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Riddle (Post 58247218)
Anyone come from Klipsch Speakers to PSA's? I currently have the Klipsch RF-7 II towers and Klipsch RC-64 II center and am curious how the PSA MTM-210T's and 210C would compare.

What is it you don't like about your current speakers? Or is it just more of a curiousity thing? Maybe there are psa speaker owners near you to demo and compare?

Tom Riddle 07-02-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ereed (Post 58251010)
What is it you don't like about your current speakers? Or is it just more of a curiousity thing? Maybe there are psa speaker owners near you to demo and compare?

Curiosity right now. No plans to change in the near future, but I like the looks and specs of the PSA 210T’s.

Bruce N 07-08-2019 12:24 PM

Are there any articulating wall mounts that will hold up the 110sr speakers? I like to angle my back speakers both in and down.

Thanks!!

CallingMrBenzo 07-08-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce N (Post 58272056)
Are there any articulating wall mounts that will hold up the 110sr speakers? I like to angle my back speakers both in and down.

Thanks!!

Mount-It! Speaker Wall Mount, Universal Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Bracket, Large or Small Speakers, 1 Mount, 66 Lbs Capacity, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2TM8BQ..._xL6iDbSWMAEF8

Like this

Bruce N 07-09-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo (Post 58272354)
Mount-It! Speaker Wall Mount, Universal Side Clamping Bookshelf Speaker Mounting Bracket, Large or Small Speakers, 1 Mount, 66 Lbs Capacity, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2TM8BQ..._xL6iDbSWMAEF8

Like this

Thanks!

kelly.mcaloney 07-09-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce N (Post 58277442)
Thanks!

I got two of these and they work extremely wellhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ffdb19e621.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...23a411c658.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...129fb9c417.jpg

Bruce N 07-10-2019 09:10 AM

Those are cool but I'm really looking for something that will allow me to angle the 110srs down more. I have to have them mounted pretty high and they're just firing over my head. I think I'm going to have to build something.

kelly.mcaloney 07-10-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce N (Post 58279590)
Those are cool but I'm really looking for something that will allow me to angle the 110srs down more. I have to have them mounted pretty high and they're just firing over my head. I think I'm going to have to build something.

These will tilt down 15 degrees

rustolemite 07-11-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Riddle (Post 58247218)

I have never listened to Klipsch, but from the look of their build and what I have heard about their sound, I don't think they can produce the volume that my 210T's can.

javan robinson 07-11-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney (Post 58278182)

Love those mounts! What do you think the chances are that they would hold the MT-110's on the wall?

Anyone heard of or seen a mount that will hold the MT-110's on the wall? And yes I know that they are not meant to be wall mounted lol. I might need to build a cage or 2..

kelly.mcaloney 07-11-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javan robinson (Post 58283968)
Love those mounts! What do you think the chances are that they would hold the MT-110's on the wall?

Anyone heard of or seen a mount that will hold the MT-110's on the wall? And yes I know that they are not meant to be wall mounted lol. I might need to build a cage or 2..

They are definitely strong enough, they will hold 60lbs, but attaching them may be difficult!

javan robinson 07-11-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney (Post 58284012)
They are definitely strong enough, they will hold 60lbs, but attaching them may be difficult!

Oh man, yeah you mean having someone hold it whilst drilling them in?

Do the plates need to be screwed to the back of the speaker? That scares me oh so much...!

Any test dummies up for the task before I screw it all up!? lol

kelly.mcaloney 07-11-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javan robinson (Post 58284096)
Oh man, yeah you mean having someone hold it whilst drilling them in?

Do the plates need to be screwed to the back of the speaker? That scares me oh so much...!

Any test dummies up for the task before I screw it all up!? lol

Yes, the plate has 200/400/800 versa holes in it, the 110sr comes with the 200 holes, so perfect fit! Not sure how you will connect, maybe there is some way to drill holes and place inserts (to fit the 200 versa) in them that anchor in the box. I bet Tom would know if this is possible?

javan robinson 07-11-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney (Post 58284278)
Yes, the plate has 200/400/800 versa holes in it, the 110sr comes with the 200 holes, so perfect fit! Not sure how you will connect, maybe there is some way to drill holes and place inserts (to fit the 200 versa) in them that anchor in the box. I bet Tom would know if this is possible?

Gotcha gotcha, and yeah he probably would but I don't want to bother him with something as trivial as this, esp when he's so busy, but perhaps I'll shoot him an email in a bit - thank you again!

kelly.mcaloney 07-11-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javan robinson (Post 58284374)
Gotcha gotcha, and yeah he probably would but I don't want to bother him with something as trivial as this, esp when he's so busy, but perhaps I'll shoot him an email in a bit - thank you again!

I sure he would be happy to help, there is inserts on the rear of the 110sr, see what he uses and if he thinks it's something that might work, good luck!

anjunadeep 07-22-2019 05:53 AM

I'm a bit ahead of myself, but always like to dream for a while before buying. I currently have
M&K S-150s LCR
RSL C34E Height Speaker
M&K THX750 rear
2x Danley CS-30 prosound subs I had left over from another life.
Heights and rears are powered by a Denon X6400H, LCR are powered by some Crest amps because the M&Ks are a bit of a difficult load.

I think my next upgrade this year is going to be a pair of V1811s (I made a post in the sub thread about that), and I always thought I'd get a consumer 5 channel amp for the M&Ks but for the cost of a nice consumer amp I could get some efficient LCR speakers instead? I looked at both JTR and PSA, and both seem to have a lot of fans, but lean toward PSA because of what I read about JTRs customer service. A few questions...

1. With a listening distance of 10-12ft, I imagine the 110s are the right choice?

2. How would the sound quality be compared to my M&K S-150s? Are they brighter? I mostly listen to music at my computer, the main duty for these would be home theater.

3. For speaker stands, does PSA offer mount holes in the back? I'd probably re-use my M&K speaker stands built by York barbell, those things are so stout it would be a shame to waste them.

4. Would my Atmos speakers from RSL still be okay, those who have gone this route do you really need to upgrade everything else too because the rest can't keep up with the fronts?

Hopinater 07-22-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjunadeep (Post 58325354)
I'm a bit ahead of myself, but always like to dream for a while before buying. I currently have
M&K S-150s LCR
RSL C34E Height Speaker
M&K THX750 rear
Heights and rears are powered by a Denon X6400H, LCR are powered by some Crest amps because the M&Ks are a bit of a difficult load.

I think my next upgrade this year is going to be a pair of V1811s (I made a post in the sub thread about that), and I always thought I'd get a consumer 5 channel amp for the M&Ks but for the cost of a nice consumer amp I could get some efficient LCR speakers instead? I looked at both JTR and PSA, and both seem to have a lot of fans, but lean toward PSA because of what I read about JTRs customer service. A few questions...

1. With a listening distance of 10-12ft, I imagine the 110s are the right choice?

2. How would the sound quality be compared to my M&K S-150s? Are they brighter? I mostly listen to music at my computer, the main duty for these would be home theater.

3. For speaker stands, does PSA offer mount holes in the back? I'd probably re-use my M&K speaker stands built by York barbell, those things are so stout it would be a shame to waste them.

4. Would my Atmos speakers from RSL still be okay, those who have gone this route do you really need to upgrade everything else too because the rest can't keep up with the fronts?

I'll answer the questions I have experience with.

1. Yes, the MT110's will easily handle that distance... heck they would do just fine at twice that distance.
2. I have no experience with M&K speakers so I can't answer.
3. I believe the speakers do have mount holes in the back.
4. I have the RSL C34E for Atmos speakers and they do fine keeping up, the only thing I do is turn up the Atmos channels a few dB to make up for the difference in efficiency.

Sekosche 07-22-2019 05:14 PM

Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopinater (Post 58328000)

Only the MT110-SR have mounting holes/brackets included.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...658281b7ef.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6b611d5e60.jpg

anjunadeep 07-23-2019 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopinater (Post 58328000)
I'll answer the questions I have experience with.

1. Yes, the MT110's will easily handle that distance... heck they would do just fine at twice that distance.
2. I have no experience with M&K speakers so I can't answer.
4. I have the RSL C34E for Atmos speakers and they do fine keeping up, the only thing I do is turn up the Atmos channels a few dB to make up for the difference in efficiency.

Thanks. For the RSLs are you worried about them running out of gas and distorting or blowing trying to keep up with your PSAs? I would think it's like dragging a trailer behind a ferrari? Or is the content so limited there that it isn't much of an issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sekosche (Post 58328538)

I could probably modify them, I wonder if Tom has a mounting option for his bookshelves. I think (?) M&K uses a standard bolt pattern, I feel like I've seen it elsewhere. I guess worst case I'd have to do something custom.

healthnut 07-23-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjunadeep (Post 58325354)

M&K S-150s LCR

RSL C34E Height Speaker

M&K THX750 rear

PM sent