Desktop monitor recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Desktop monitor recommendations

Thanks for indulging another recommendation thread. Here goes:

1. Budget: Desired range $300-500
2. These will be for my desk and I would like them to be suitable for video editing, music, and gaming.
3. Existing equipment: Klipsch Quintet III - 3" satellite speakers, Polk Audio 8" powered sub (80-100w?), Lepai 20w 2 channel amplifier.
4. Room size 10' x 14' - open on far side to larger space
5. Placement, I would like to place them on my desk which is 5' wide and close to the wall
6. Size: I would like a 5" - 6.5" woofer
7. Equipment consideration: I've looked at a few powered monitors at Guitar City such as KRK Rockits, some Yamahas, and Mackies.
8. Audio signatures preferred: clear, bright

Should I go with a powered monitor or a home theater type bookshelf? Do you think that the audio quality is comparable at the same price point?

Is nearfield a useful term or a marketing one?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
My picks would be Mackie MR8s of JBL LSR308s. They are somewhat large so you will need a good amount of desktop space to accommodate them. I would also recommend getting desktop speaker stands for them, as placement directly on the desktop can often give a nasty upper bass peak due to a close acoustic reflection.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Cambridge S30.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
You can sometimes find used Dynaudio dm series for right around the top of your budget.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #5 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ascend cbm 170 higly regarded im planning this also as desktop speaker
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJInstitute View Post
Thanks for indulging another recommendation thread. Here goes:

1. Budget: Desired range $300-500
2. These will be for my desk and I would like them to be suitable for video editing, music, and gaming.
3. Existing equipment: Klipsch Quintet III - 3" satellite speakers, Polk Audio 8" powered sub (80-100w?), Lepai 20w 2 channel amplifier.
4. Room size 10' x 14' - open on far side to larger space
5. Placement, I would like to place them on my desk which is 5' wide and close to the wall
6. Size: I would like a 5" - 6.5" woofer
7. Equipment consideration: I've looked at a few powered monitors at Guitar City such as KRK Rockits, some Yamahas, and Mackies.
8. Audio signatures preferred: clear, bright

Should I go with a powered monitor or a home theater type bookshelf? Do you think that the audio quality is comparable at the same price point?

Is nearfield a useful term or a marketing one?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I recommend a pair of Audioengine 2 speakers $200) with a decent 10" subwoofer.

I have this setup and it is very good.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
My picks would be Mackie MR8s of JBL LSR308s. They are somewhat large so you will need a good amount of desktop space to accommodate them. I would also recommend getting desktop speaker stands for them, as placement directly on the desktop can often give a nasty upper bass peak due to a close acoustic reflection.
8" are a bit large. How high above the desk surface do they need to be to avoid that? I heard a pair of 6.5" JBL powered speakers and they sounded pretty good with a horn tweeter type bright sound.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
The tweeters on the JBLs won't actually be bright. They are voiced neutrally, so they will just playback everything at the levels they are recorded at.

As for distance off the desktop, I would try to get them as high as you can without the tweeters going too far above ear level. You can even place them upside down if you want, it won't hurt the sound. The further away the speaker is from surfaces, the better. This is called a stand-off distance. Look up pictures of the ways monitors are placed in a recording studio, that is a pretty good guide to getting decent sound. You will rarely see the monitors resting on a desktop surface, they are usually elevated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page