Economy In-Ceiling Speakers for Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Economy In-Ceiling Speakers for Atmos

Hey folks,
I have a Klipsch Reference II 5.2 setup, and wanted to add four ceiling speakers to achieve an Atmos setup. Problem is, I don't have the budget to buy the Klipsch Reference in-ceiling speakers so am looking to more economical options. The two that I found are the Monoprice 8-inch Kevlar PID4104 (80W, Frequency Response 43 Hz - 20 kHz) and the Micca M-8C 8" (100W, Frequency Response: 40Hz - 20kHz). I'm leaning towards the later as it has the pivoting 1" dome tweeter, plus has very good reviews on Amazon.

Has anyone used either of these speakers, preferably in an atmos setup? I really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks.

My Home Theater Build: Geeky Talkies

Last edited by prince.nothing; 10-05-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince.nothing View Post
Hey folks,
I have a Klipsch Reference II 5.2 setup, and wanted to add four ceiling speakers to achieve an Atmos setup. Problem is, I don't have the budget to buy the Klipsch Reference in-ceiling speakers so am looking to more economical options. The two that I found are the Monoprice 8-inch Kevlar PID4104 (80W, Frequency Response 43 Hz - 20 kHz) and the Micca M-8C 8" (100W, Frequency Response: 40Hz - 20kHz). I'm leaning towards the later as it has the pivoting 1" dome tweeter, plus has very good reviews on Amazon.

Has anyone used either of these speakers in an atmos setup? I really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks.
I bought (4) DefTech DI5.5R's from BajaWaverunner on ebay for $99 each (refurbs). $250 each new. Can handle power and are coaxial wide dispersion speakers with pivoting tweeters.

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I don't think pivoting tweeters are really needed if your doing just 4 ceilings speakers for Atoms. Should save you some money getting a fixed tweeter. Maybe if your doing ceiling speakers for the front main speakers I would recommend them, but for Atoms, the speakers are actually fairly close to the listening position. I think he more important factor is getting 2 or 4 identical speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does anyone have experience with Polk RC80i or MC80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags