Dolby Atmos upward-firing module speakers - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 657Likes

post #2881 of 3181 Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypepper View Post
If you don’t like your RP 140’s you may want to purchase the SVS Prime Elevation Satellite speakers.

I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on these speakers. I’m not sure if they have the 45 day trail period, as they do for there subwoofers.

For myself, I have 4 of the KEF R50 Atmos speakers for my Anthem MRX 1120 7.1.4 Atmos system, which sounds great.

I’m going to watch the newly released Saving Ryan 4K with Dolby Atoms over the weekend, which should sound fabulous.

Good luck and enjoy your system.

Randy
Good to hear, I was seriously considering the Prime Elevations over the RP-140s but the current sale, plus the flexibility of experimenting with reflective vs on-wall, plus the fact that Crutchfield is about 40 minutes from me (I can pick up the Klipsch vs ordering from SVS) all favors me trying out the Klipsch first.

If they are lackluster I have a good return policy with Crutchfield so I can give the Prime Elevations a shot. I've heard great things about them as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3181 Old 05-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHSQT View Post
Quote:
If you don’t like your RP 140’s you may want to purchase the SVS Prime Elevation Satellite speakers.

I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on these speakers. I’m not sure if they have the 45 day trail period, as they do for there subwoofers.

For myself, I have 4 of the KEF R50 Atmos speakers for my Anthem MRX 1120 7.1.4 Atmos system, which sounds great.

I’m going to watch the newly released Saving Ryan 4K with Dolby Atoms over the weekend, which should sound fabulous.

Good luck and enjoy your system.

Randy
Good to hear, I was seriously considering the Prime Elevations over the RP-140s but the current sale, plus the flexibility of experimenting with reflective vs on-wall, plus the fact that Crutchfield is about 40 minutes from me (I can pick up the Klipsch vs ordering from SVS) all favors me trying out the Klipsch first.

If they are lackluster I have a good return policy with Crutchfield so I can give the Prime Elevations a shot. I've heard great things about them as well.
If I had a Crutchield store 40 minutes from me, I would be broke for sure and divorced as well.

My dear wife of 43 years, could care less about my home theater sound system. Yeah, she’s old fashion and just cares about watching TV without all the bells and whistle‘s

As I said earlier, good luck on perfecting your home theater set up.

Have a great weekend,
Randy
post #2883 of 3181 Old 05-18-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2model3 View Post
i use 5.1.4 pioneer elite upfiring. my receiver allows them to be configured as height speakers or upfiring.

oddly enough; they sounded better as height speakers than upfiring. lol. i have a denon x4300h.
I have a Denon x6200 and the AJ Pioneer Elite speakers in a 5.1.4 config. (Sub is an SVS SB2000). The avr can't "see" your speakers so you have to set them in the avr speaker menu as Dolby Front + Dolby Surround (proper) or TF+TR or FH+RH.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 3181 Old 05-18-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
If I had a Crutchield store 40 minutes from me, I would be broke for sure and divorced as well.

My dear wife of 43 years, could care less about my home theater sound system. Yeah, she’s old fashion and just cares about watching TV without all the bells and whistle‘s

As I said earlier, good luck on perfecting your home theater set up.

Have a great weekend,
Randy
Ha, I totally get it and also admit that I have a problem. My wife surrendered years ago. I'm lucky in that Crutchfield is actually about 90 minutes from my home, but it's 40 minutes from my office - a quick trip over lunch break a few times a year is all I can afford (time-wise and otherwise).

I did get both pairs of speakers today and have mounted the RP-140s as front heights and using the Imagine XAs as rear DAE sitting on my tiny RP-150s. I am surprised by how solid the 140s are, very sturdy and they look great flush against the wall above the window.

I've got my settings updated in the Anthem but I haven't had a chance to run ARC yet with the new config. I briefly listened to a few tracks from the Atmos remix of REM's Automatic for the People and first impressions are very good. I also listened to the new 4K Gladiator release (the opening battle scene with all the arrows). The front heights performed well in the scene but not much happening in the rear DAE speakers. I assume it may have something to do with the fact that it's a DTS:X soundtrack and not Atmos.

Anyway, looking forward to dialing it in and calibrating tomorrow and will post further impressions soon for anyone interested.
post #2885 of 3181 Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
hi there...I tried to get the Klipsch RP140SA to play nice with a pair of back Elac atmos in a 5.1.4 set up..previously I had a couple of bookshelf speakers configured as front height speaker and the Atmos demos sounded good- the front stage would sound fuller and taller and the back ELAC would give me some ambience for sure..I was hoping the Klipsch would be even better but I can't say they were better...so I was considering the SVS elevation but instead I decided to test the same bookshelf speakers (Paradigm Micros) hanging hight on the side walls in front of the MLP to see if I could hear an improvement and I think I do..demos sound great- I had to increase the db levels to the speakers. But listening to Atmo movies is not as good as when listening to atmos demos. I put my ear to the bookshelf speakers -configured at Top Front- and I realize that NOT Atmos movies are equal! some have very little sound coming from the atmos speakers really...and some very little...Mad Max is loud I can hear the atmos working fine but I could have enjoyed the movie in HD 5.1 sound almost the same (heresy to say this I know!)...but Blade Runner atmos fills the whole room with music and ambiance...I will try my bookshelf a bit longer-I found a way to tilt them a bit-I'm sure the SVS would look better but not sure I will get $500 CDN worth out of them...The Elac sitting on top of the surrounds seems to give some nice diffused sounds. I'm close to just accepting that the sound in my Home Cinema is as good as it will be without spending a lot more in room correction panels etc.
But I can't wait to watch The Matrix in 4k and listen to the Atmos track.
E

Samsung UN65KS8000 SUHD Quantum Dot LED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 4k & OPPO 103D-
Denon AVR-X4400h 5.2.4 atmos-with Paradigm: Monitor 7 v.6 for fronts, CC-390 v.6, Atoms v.7 Surrounds, Micros v.3 Front height and ELAC Debut A4 for back dolby.
SVS-PC12 NSD sub. Nak CR-1A cassette & Vintage Technics SL-MC7 110 CD jukebox
post #2886 of 3181 Old 05-18-2018, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfeoblu View Post
hi there...I tried to get the Klipsch RP140SA to play nice with a pair of back Elac atmos in a 5.1.4 set up..previously I had a couple of bookshelf speakers configured as front height speaker and the Atmos demos sounded good- the front stage would sound fuller and taller and the back ELAC would give me some ambience for sure..I was hoping the Klipsch would be even better but I can't say they were better...so I was considering the SVS elevation but instead I decided to test the same bookshelf speakers (Paradigm Micros) hanging hight on the side walls in front of the MLP to see if I could hear an improvement and I think I do..demos sound great- I had to increase the db levels to the speakers.
I think that you have just confirmed that direct facing height speakers do a better job than reflecting speakers. It would be surprising to find that the SVS are any better. If possible try mounting the Klipsch as height speakers (where you had the bookshelf speakers). You may find that this really works well.
post #2887 of 3181 Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I think that you have just confirmed that direct facing height speakers do a better job than reflecting speakers. It would be surprising to find that the SVS are any better. If possible try mounting the Klipsch as height speakers (where you had the bookshelf speakers). You may find that this really works well.
hi there..hmm...I returned the Klipsch...for now I will try the bookshelf speakers as top front and the ELAC as dolby surround..but I will consider the SVS to replace either the Paradigm micros or the ELAC...I think I will focus on enjoying the movies for now! but I'm glad I tried a few combinations to find out what sounds "best" in my living room. I'm sure things are different for many other forum members. Lots of good advice here for sure...can't wait to get a copy of Gravity with the Atmos track soon...

thanks
E

Samsung UN65KS8000 SUHD Quantum Dot LED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 4k & OPPO 103D-
Denon AVR-X4400h 5.2.4 atmos-with Paradigm: Monitor 7 v.6 for fronts, CC-390 v.6, Atoms v.7 Surrounds, Micros v.3 Front height and ELAC Debut A4 for back dolby.
SVS-PC12 NSD sub. Nak CR-1A cassette & Vintage Technics SL-MC7 110 CD jukebox
post #2888 of 3181 Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 AM

Wanted to follow up on my experience setting up the Klipsch RP-140s as front height Atmos speakers and the Imagine XAs as rear add-on speakers...

Overall everything sounds great. Since I've not heard what in-ceiling speakers would sound like in my own room, I can only compare it to some of the demo systems I've heard at dealers, and I have to say it's probably 90% of the way there to what I'd be getting with 4 in-ceiling speakers.

I ran Anthem ARC through my system initially with the crossover set at 150Hz for both front and rear Atmos, and saw some opportunity in the measurements to extend that crossover down to 100Hz. With these settings, Max EQ at 10kHz and High pass and Min EQ set at 15, with room gain of 3.5dB, I can say that overall it's a very seamless listening experience with varying levels of immersion depending on the source material.

I've tested the Atmos mixes of the new Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator (DTS:X), as well as Gravity, Kong: Skull Island, and various DTS:Neural X comparisons to Dolby Surround upmixing and it's made a very impressive difference. Definitely put a smile on all of our faces here in on the couch. I was really impressed with Anthem's use of Anthem:Logic Music to provide atmosphere and depth to traditional 2 channel music from Tidal as well. The Atmos remix of REM's Automatic for the People was a revelation.

Since this is a thread for up-firing speakers, I have to say the Klipsch RP-140s really shine as front heights, but the Imagine XAs in the rear have definitely put in some work as well. There's a clear difference between simply using the rear/surround speakers versus adding the upward firing Atmos rears, and I think the Imagine XAs perform better as upward-firing than the Klipsch RPs do.

But the addition of both front heights and rear upward firing has transformed the theater experience in my room for the better, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front-height.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	885.3 KB
ID:	2405392   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear-left.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	839.6 KB
ID:	2405394   Click image for larger version

Name:	full-frontal.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	957.6 KB
ID:	2405396  
asabrag likes this.
post #2889 of 3181 Old 06-06-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
Just got a new AVR that has Atmos.

I've re-purposed a pair of NHT Super Zeros for use as up firing Atmos speakers sitting on top of my Klipsch RF62s. What angle are most Atmos speakers? I have my SZs at around 29 degrees. They're 5.5' from my ceiling and about 10' from the main listening position. I played a few of the Dobly Atmos demos off of Vudu and didn't get a real sense of any overhead sounds. It did sound good though and a little more expansive.

I haven't done any Trig for "quite" a few years. What would be the optimum angle?

Thanks.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #2890 of 3181 Old 06-07-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Just got a new AVR that has Atmos.

I've re-purposed a pair of NHT Super Zeros for use as up firing Atmos speakers sitting on top of my Klipsch RF62s. What angle are most Atmos speakers? I have my SZs at around 29 degrees. They're 5.5' from my ceiling and about 10' from the main listening position. I played a few of the Dobly Atmos demos off of Vudu and didn't get a real sense of any overhead sounds. It did sound good though and a little more expansive.

I haven't done any Trig for "quite" a few years. What would be the optimum angle?

Thanks.
I have seen report that suggest the range should be between 10 to 30 degrees, tailored to each installation. You could try sitting the the main listening position, playback a single test tone from your AVR and have someone gradually change the angle to see which sounds the loudest. An SPL meter would help in this exercise. Alternatively, run multiple room EQ setups with your AVR, changing the angle, and see which setting sets the db level of the speakers the lowest.
post #2891 of 3181 Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
Quote:
I have seen report that suggest the range should be between 10 to 30 degrees, tailored to each installation. You could try sitting the the main listening position, playback a single test tone from your AVR and have someone gradually change the angle to see which sounds the loudest. An SPL meter would help in this exercise. Alternatively, run multiple room EQ setups with your AVR, changing the angle, and see which setting sets the db level of the speakers the lowest.

Thanks!

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #2892 of 3181 Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi guys,

I have been wanting to try Atmos for a while now, and since buying my Yamaha receiver I've been itching to give it a go. Over the weekend I briefly repurposed my Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers - which are usually on my desk in my office - and carefully positioned them on their backs on top of my front two speakers.

I fired up some of the Dolby Atmos demo clips and immediately noticed a more expansive sound field. There wasn't any direct over-head action per se, but the sound stage definitely felt "bigger".

So after some discussion with my other half in regards to the aesthetics of the situation (I'm taking the mickey a bit in our lounge as it is ) I thought sod it, and went to a local shop to pick up a pair of Elac A4s. I would like some Kefs to match the rest of my speakers but I chose against it a) on account of the price, considering it's a bit of an experiment, and b) because they're more aesthetically intrusive than the Elacs.

When I unboxed them, my OH exclaimed "oh they're a LOT smaller than I expected!", which was a relief. But anyway, I digress..

Having spent a while setting them up and tweaking things, I can say that they do work, but it's extremely subtle. There isn't really anything in the way of over-head effects unless I get right down on the floor and stick my head much lower than when I'm sitting on the sofa. But they do 'lift' the soundstage somewhat, and it definitely sounds more expansive.

Am I wanting too much by expecting more? I am happy considering the price, particularly since I got a bit of a discount from the shop, but if there's the potential for further tweaks to improve things then I'm all ears.

Here's some pertinent info:

Ceiling height: 7.8 ft
Atmos-to-ceiling height: 4ft
Main listening position distance to speakers/screen: 8.3 ft
A4s are crossed over at 200hz, with +4db over the front speakers.

And a couple of photos, showing the positioning, ceiling texture, and the beige blob denoting where my head goes:

Yamaha RX-A2070 Receiver, Audiolab 8200DQ and Meridian 557 Power Amp for the KEF Refs, Epson TW6700 Projector, Panasonic BDT120 Bluray, BT YouView box, Nvidia Shield TV, Xbox One, Chromecast Audio, KEF Reference 3.2 fronts, KEF R200C Centre, KEF Q100 rears, Kef CI130ER (Atmos), BK Monolith sub.
post #2893 of 3181 Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard-Canning View Post
Here's some pertinent info:

Ceiling height: 7.8 ft
Atmos-to-ceiling height: 4ft
Main listening position distance to speakers/screen: 8.3 ft
A4s are crossed over at 200hz, with +4db over the front speakers.
Placement of the A4s is reasonable (must be above ear level of the main listening position). Two things to try:
1. Change the crossover point to 190Hz
2. Experiment with angling the A4's with a shim to tilt them either forward or backward to get the highest sound at the MLP.
3. Toe in the towers and A4s just a bit to point directly to the MLP.

The difference will not be dramatic, but every little bit helps.
post #2894 of 3181 Old 06-12-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Placement of the A4s is reasonable (must be above ear level of the main listening position). Two things to try:
1. Change the crossover point to 190Hz
2. Experiment with angling the A4's with a shim to tilt them either forward or backward to get the highest sound at the MLP.
3. Toe in the towers and A4s just a bit to point directly to the MLP.

The difference will not be dramatic, but every little bit helps.
Thanks for your reply.

1 - Unfortunately my amp will only let me select 150 (or 160) or 200hz
2. I will try this again, however I did try tilting them up at the back by about an inch, in order to point them further into the room. This made no difference. Should I try further?
3. I did experiment with different toe angles. This made no difference.

Thanks again.

Yamaha RX-A2070 Receiver, Audiolab 8200DQ and Meridian 557 Power Amp for the KEF Refs, Epson TW6700 Projector, Panasonic BDT120 Bluray, BT YouView box, Nvidia Shield TV, Xbox One, Chromecast Audio, KEF Reference 3.2 fronts, KEF R200C Centre, KEF Q100 rears, Kef CI130ER (Atmos), BK Monolith sub.
post #2895 of 3181 Old 06-12-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

1 - Unfortunately my amp will only let me select 150 (or 160) or 200hz
2. I will try this again, however I did try tilting them up at the back by about an inch, in order to point them further into the room. This made no difference. Should I try further?
3. I did experiment with different toe angles. This made no difference.
1. I had meant to type 180, but try it at 160. Likeley inaudible difference
2. 1" is likely plenty. Don't expect to hear much difference, and if it "looks" better without any adjustment then just leave it flat on top of the towers.

Last edited by BPlayer; 06-13-2018 at 05:58 AM.
post #2896 of 3181 Old 06-13-2018, 01:08 AM

Well I did some more experimenting last night, and I've managed to make a big improvement! I can now detect much more of a sense of height and spaciousness with Atmos recordings. It's apparent with even the test tones, with the high frequency part of the pink noise seemingly coming from the ceiling. It's still subtle, but it's an improvement.

How, you ask? Well, I kinda threw away the rule book...

... and instead of pointing them into the room, I pointed them up more. It's contrary to most advice, but it works much better. Presumably this is because there's less localisation from the drivers, and it's bouncing off both the back wall and the ceiling.

I'll continue to tweak some more to get the best out of it but I'm much happier!

Using small cardboard boxes to raise the front isn't particularly elegant, but fortunately one of my good friends is a carpenter and he's going to make me some sort of wedge.
joe221 and zombipuppy like this.

post #2897 of 3181 Old 06-13-2018, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
... and instead of pointing them into the room, I pointed them up more. It's contrary to most advice, but it works much better. Presumably this is because there's less localisation from the drivers, and it's bouncing off both the back wall and the ceiling.
Might want to take a look at either the PSB Imagine XA or the Atlantic Tech 44DA. These have their speakers in enclosures designed to reduce localisation.
post #2898 of 3181 Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I did some more experimenting last night, and I've managed to make a big improvement! I can now detect much more of a sense of height and spaciousness with Atmos recordings. It's apparent with even the test tones, with the high frequency part of the pink noise seemingly coming from the ceiling. It's still subtle, but it's an improvement.

How, you ask? Well, I kinda threw away the rule book...

I'll continue to tweak some more to get the best out of it but I'm much happier!

Using small cardboard boxes to raise the front isn't particularly elegant, but fortunately one of my good friends is a carpenter and he's going to make me some sort of wedge.
I think that is the wrong way to go, but it is your system and you should do what makes you happy. In a well balanced system all the speakers work together and blend the sound so that one does not particularly stand out from another. Yes, you do want overhead sound be heard from above, but voices or music that should be coming from the front.

The laws of physics and directional travel of sound waves indicate that you are not getting the sounds that were intended by the Atmos stream.
post #2899 of 3181 Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I think that is the wrong way to go, but it is your system and you should do what makes you happy. In a well balanced system all the speakers work together and blend the sound so that one does not particularly stand out from another. Yes, you do want overhead sound be heard from above, but voices or music that should be coming from the front.

The laws of physics and directional travel of sound waves indicate that you are not getting the sounds that were intended by the Atmos stream.
Sorry if I'm missing something, but how is it the wrong way to go?

Atmos is designed to give overhead ambient noise. With the speakers laid flat on top of my mains, there was no real notion of that. The sounds would simply come from the front. With them pointing at a more acute angle as they are now, there is a greatly increased notion of height. Surely that's a benefit?

The sound certainly does blend together in my setup, and the voices and music that should come from the front, do come from the front. I'm not sure I understand what this has to do with the position of my Atmos speakers?

post #2900 of 3181 Old 06-14-2018, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry if I'm missing something, but how is it the wrong way to go?

Atmos is designed to give overhead ambient noise. With the speakers laid flat on top of my mains, there was no real notion of that. The sounds would simply come from the front. With them pointing at a more acute angle as they are now, there is a greatly increased notion of height. Surely that's a benefit?

The sound certainly does blend together in my setup, and the voices and music that should come from the front, do come from the front. I'm not sure I understand what this has to do with the position of my Atmos speakers?
Think of the speaker being a flashlight and the being being a mirror. If the flashlight is pointed straight up the brightest reflection will not be seen at the MLP that is 6' away. Angle it towards the about the mid point between the flashlight and the MLP and the brightest reflection will be seen. Apply this to the sound waves to see why I think that almost pointing the speaker straight up is not the way to go.

But if you feel that it sound better that way, then that it how you should use it.
post #2901 of 3181 Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Think of the speaker being a flashlight and the being being a mirror. If the flashlight is pointed straight up the brightest reflection will not be seen at the MLP that is 6' away. Angle it towards the about the mid point between the flashlight and the MLP and the brightest reflection will be seen. Apply this to the sound waves to see why I think that almost pointing the speaker straight up is not the way to go.

But if you feel that it sound better that way, then that it how you should use it.

Perhaps you misunderstood my original problem. With the speakers in their 'default' position, there was almost 100% localisation of Atmos effects to the speakers producing them. The upfiring effect simply did not work. Tilting the speakers up at the back to point them at a more central point of the ceiling made absolutely no difference.

In their current position, there is much less localisation, and much more of a sensation of height.

Can you explain how this is a bad thing?

post #2902 of 3181 Old 06-14-2018, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps you misunderstood my original problem. With the speakers in their 'default' position, there was almost 100% localisation of Atmos effects to the speakers producing them. The upfiring effect simply did not work. Tilting the speakers up at the back to point them at a more central point of the ceiling made absolutely no difference.

In their current position, there is much less localisation, and much more of a sensation of height.

Can you explain how this is a bad thing?
I cannot explain what you are hearing in any of the positions, and which is technically correct. As I said a couple of times, whatever sounds best to you is what you should use.
post #2903 of 3181 Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I cannot explain what you are hearing in any of the positions, and which is technically correct.
Then I suggest you stop telling people that they're doing something wrong if you can't explain why they're doing it wrong.
ataneruo likes this.

post #2904 of 3181 Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then I suggest you stop telling people that they're doing something wrong if you can't explain why they're doing it wrong.
Chill out man. You started by asking for opinions ("Am I wanting too much by expecting more?") and I provided one. All the manufacturers of DE speaker have them angled outward. I guess that is the optimum position from their testing. But if you find that a different angle, or no angle works better for you, or it toe the speakers out, or run them hot by 6 db and it sound better to you then that is what you should use!!!!

I think this discussion has run its course and then some, so I will not be replying to any other comments. Sorry if I offended you.
post #2905 of 3181 Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Chill out man. You started by asking for opinions ("Am I wanting too much by expecting more?") and I provided one. All the manufacturers of DE speaker have them angled outward. I guess that is the optimum position from their testing. But if you find that a different angle, or no angle works better for you, or it toe the speakers out, or run them hot by 6 db and it sound better to you then that is what you should use!!!!

I think this discussion has run its course and then some, so I will not be replying to any other comments. Sorry if I offended you.
You haven't offended me. I was just a little perplexed as to why you said "I think that's the wrong way to go" without being able to properly back up your statement. Let's agree to disagree, eh?

post #2906 of 3181 Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I recently got Pioneer's upfiring Atmos speakers and came to a similar conclusion as Howard. With the speakers laying flat as normal, I still got quite a bit of localization. Actually at first, I was angling them more towards me which made it worse. I ended up keeping them flat but raising them up by 3in and that got rid of most of the direct sound. The effect is much more convincing now
Howard-Canning and zombipuppy like this.
post #2907 of 3181 Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
I recently got Pioneer's upfiring Atmos speakers and came to a similar conclusion as Howard. With the speakers laying flat as normal, I still got quite a bit of localization. Actually at first, I was angling them more towards me which made it worse. I ended up keeping them flat but raising them up by 3in and that got rid of most of the direct sound. The effect is much more convincing now

Gonna give this a shot with my Pioneers as well. I just have absolutely 0 height effect as they are set up right now, on top of my Polk towers. I even tried giving a 30 degree tilt towards the MLP and still no dice. I'll see if doing the reverse angle will help. It might defy the laws of physics as previously mentioned, but maybe the way my room is set up, enough reflection from wherever will make the Atmos channels seem higher and less localized. I'm not opposed to trying the nonsensical .
post #2908 of 3181 Old 06-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombipuppy View Post
Gonna give this a shot with my Pioneers as well. I just have absolutely 0 height effect as they are set up right now, on top of my Polk towers. I even tried giving a 30 degree tilt towards the MLP and still no dice. I'll see if doing the reverse angle will help. It might defy the laws of physics as previously mentioned, but maybe the way my room is set up, enough reflection from wherever will make the Atmos channels seem higher and less localized. I'm not opposed to trying the nonsensical .
Raising them up by a few inches should help quite a bit. Additionally, I bumped up the levels by +4db after auto calibration on the receiver which I think most people end up doing. But like I was saying, tilting them forwards will kill the effect! Laying them as is should be fine. I also tried blocking the front of them with a small box but that actually didn't do much.

One more thing I also did was bring in my towers a bit so I'm a little over 8ft away from them. However if I get any closer than that the effect starts to diminish. Ceiling is 9ft btw.

Lastly, check these must listen Atmos demos if you haven't already: Rainstorm and Santeria. They have the best and most obvious overhead effects imo. If it don't work there then keep tweaking.

Last edited by FullyArray; 06-18-2018 at 02:06 PM.
post #2909 of 3181 Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
Raising them up by a few inches should help quite a bit. Additionally, I bumped up the levels by +4db after auto calibration on the receiver which I think most people end up doing. But like I was saying, tilting them forwards will kill the effect! Laying them as is should be fine. I also tried blocking the front of them with a small box but that actually didn't do much.

One more thing I also did was bring in my towers a bit so I'm a little over 8ft away from them. However if I get any closer than that the effect starts to diminish. Ceiling is 9ft btw.

Lastly, check these must listen Atmos demos if you haven't already: Rainstorm and Santeria. They have the best and most obvious overhead effects imo. If it don't work there then keep tweaking.
I feel like nothing I do gets the desired effect. My room just might not be suited for it. I'm sitting 12-13 feet away from the front and Atmos speakers and I have 9 ft ceilings. The Atmos speakers are sitting right at eye level (on top of the tower speakers), and even if I try to adjust them up so that I don't see the the speaker grill, I still don't hear anything from above.

I'm pretty sure the main issue is that I'm just too far from the front speakers.
post #2910 of 3181 Old 06-19-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombipuppy View Post
I feel like nothing I do gets the desired effect. My room just might not be suited for it. I'm sitting 12-13 feet away from the front and Atmos speakers and I have 9 ft ceilings. The Atmos speakers are sitting right at eye level (on top of the tower speakers), and even if I try to adjust them up so that I don't see the the speaker grill, I still don't hear anything from above.

I'm pretty sure the main issue is that I'm just too far from the front speakers.
Being that far away is likely a significant factor. Four alternate mounting positions to consider:
1. high on the front wall facing down
2. behind your seating position facing up, and above ear level
3. on a back wall facing up (reflection mode)
4. on the ceiling behind the seating position, facing down

Your AVR should have a speaker configuration to support each of these positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page