I have 3k and want to create a Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shadyJ

post #1 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have 3k and want to create a Home Theater

I am about to purchase my first home theater set up. I am trying to not spend more than 3k on speakers, sub, receiver and projector. My room is 18 foot by 11 foot. I will be mounting these on the ceiling (pre-wired). I have done some research but I can not decide on what speakers i should go for. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To many unknowns here. Are you wanting to straight up purchase all your stuff? Or do you plan to DIY subs? Speakers? Is your room very light controlled for you projector? Or are there windows or other ambient light sources that cannot be controlled?

For this sort of question I would split your money up into separate categories for each item you are looking to purchase. Then select from items that fit in your budget for each item. For example if it were my money and I was going to be buying only commercial offerings I would earmark 800 for the Projector, 1400 for the Sub/s and 800 for the speakers and receiver.

Then fit in the best you can into each category. I like a lot of deep clean bass so I shift my budget that direction.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Ceiling speakers are terrible. There is a reason why you would never see a professional cinema use ceiling speakers outside of Atmos installations. Almost makes it not worth the trouble to build a HT since the sound will be so badly compromised. I would find a way to implement a real front stage speaker setup. Maybe save the ceiling wiring for Atmos speakers.
psgcdn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
W1070, silver ticket screen, onkyo 636, Andrew jones pioneer speakers, ultimax 15x2 flat pack w inuke 3k w/ dsp. Probably close to 3k. But the above post is right, lots of variables.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdtech View Post
To many unknowns here. Are you wanting to straight up purchase all your stuff? Or do you plan to DIY subs? Speakers? Is your room very light controlled for you projector? Or are there windows or other ambient light sources that cannot be controlled?

For this sort of question I would split your money up into separate categories for each item you are looking to purchase. Then select from items that fit in your budget for each item. For example if it were my money and I was going to be buying only commercial offerings I would earmark 800 for the Projector, 1400 for the Sub/s and 800 for the speakers and receiver.

Then fit in the best you can into each category. I like a lot of deep clean bass so I shift my budget that direction.
I want to just purchase all of my stuff. The room is very light controlled black out curtains. The walls are beige with french doors.

I was thinking of getting a rythmik lv12r for my subwoofer. It runs around 600 and people have reviewed it pretty well. As of now I am trying to find some bookshelf speakers to mount on my ceiling. Thank you for your reply
post #6 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Ceiling speakers are terrible. There is a reason why you would never see a professional cinema use ceiling speakers outside of Atmos installations. Almost makes it not worth the trouble to build a HT since the sound will be so badly compromised. I would find a way to implement a real front stage speaker setup. Maybe save the ceiling wiring for Atmos speakers.
I should have done more research before having them pre-wired like that. I only now just got started to looking into it. I was thinking if I could just get bookshelf speakers and mount them on the ceiling maybe that could make up for my mistake. Do you think that would make up for it? Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post
W1070, silver ticket screen, onkyo 636, Andrew jones pioneer speakers, ultimax 15x2 flat pack w inuke 3k w/ dsp. Probably close to 3k. But the above post is right, lots of variables.
Thank you! I will research those.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Page View Post
I should have done more research before having them pre-wired like that. I only now just got started to looking into it. I was thinking if I could just get bookshelf speakers and mount them on the ceiling maybe that could make up for my mistake. Do you think that would make up for it? Thanks for the input
Sorry, that won't be very good. The problem is speakers work best when they are not near surfaces like that. By putting a bookshelf speaker next to the ceiling, you setting up a potentially nasty first reflection peak from the ceiling surface. It will screw up the frequency response, and I don't see how it would not destroy the sound stage. The ideal for most speakers is to have the tweeters facing you at ear level where the listener forms one corner of an equilateral triangle with the speakers. The ideal is rarely achievable, but good sound can still be achieved, however your intended setup is heading for an acoustic disaster. Maybe something like these JBL 8320 speakers can work in your circumstances, but I would only resort to those for a front stage if you really can not do forward facing bookshelf or tower speakers.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Sorry, that won't be very good. The problem is speakers work best when they are not near surfaces like that. By putting a bookshelf speaker next to the ceiling, you setting up a potentially nasty first reflection peak from the ceiling surface. It will screw up the frequency response, and I don't see how it would not destroy the sound stage. The ideal for most speakers is to have the tweeters facing you at ear level where the listener forms one corner of an equilateral triangle with the speakers. The ideal is rarely achievable, but good sound can still be achieved, however your intended setup is heading for an acoustic disaster.
Well that sucks. Maybe I can try to guide the 3 wires toward the front of the room on my own. The wall is an inside wall. If that is the case as previously stated i could turn in the ceiling area to an atmos style. What receiver would be advised for 3 fronts 2 backs and 2 atmos?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post

This would be very close to my suggestion.

I would personally not do ATMOS for a couple years yet. If you are wanting to purchase your subs the Rythmik's will do well. Also look at SVS, HSU Power Sound audio. I am sure there a few others I am missing.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
What receiver would be advised for 3 fronts 2 backs and 2 atmos?
Ideally, that's 3 fronts, 2 sides and 2 atmos.

post #11 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Well that sucks. Maybe I can try to guide the 3 wires toward the front of the room on my own. The wall is an inside wall. If that is the case as previously stated i could turn in the ceiling area to an atmos style. What receiver would be advised for 3 fronts 2 backs and 2 atmos?
I would be looking at Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer receivers. One inexpensive model is the Denon AVR X1100. That should be able to do what you are describing, what in Atmos terminology is called a '5.1.2' system. For speaker systems, I would go for an Infinity Primus system or a Hsu system. Both are inexpensive and have ceiling and in-wall speakers available which look like they would mate well with the other speakers, as you would want all the surround speakers to be timbre matched per Dolby's recommendations. Your intended subwoofer, the Rythmik LV12r is very good for the price. I would go for that with an Infinity system particularly as they use the same veneer and so are matched. For the Hsu system, go for a system based around the VTF2, which is a subwoofer on par with the LV12r.

For an Infinity Primus system, I would suggest two P363 towers, a c351 center, two p163 surrounds, two Infinity CS80R ceiling speaker for the Atmos 'top' channels, and the Rythmik LV12r sub. For a Hsu system, I would go for a Hybrid 2 or Hybrid 3 system 7.1 and swap two of the HB-1 bookshelf speakers for the HIW speakers to be used as in-ceilings.

For the video side, from what I understand the BenQ w1070 is considered the best budget 1080p projector at the moment, but it would behoove you to look around in the $<3k projector forum and ask questions, as there may be better choices based on viewing distance, light control, projector distance from screen, screen size, etc. There are lots of variables there, and its better to ask the enthusiasts of that kind of stuff.

Last edited by shadyJ; 10-09-2014 at 04:37 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Primus setup would be tough to beat. At their current prices, particularly the towers, they trump the Andrew Jones line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page