New SVS Prime series speakers - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 322Likes

post #1171 of 1195 Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
In my smallish living room I was running a Denon X3400 AVR with Klipsch Quintet Vs with an SVS SB12-NSD sub-woofer. Instead of getting the 5.1 set that comes with a sub, I decided to get four Prime satellites and the Prime Center speaker. I was, and have been, seriously impressed with the system. The Satellites integrate with the large center and the sub-woofer extremely well. The sound is open, clear and dynamic and the surround satellites sing when those channels are active. The SVS speakers are a major improvement over the Quintet Vs, very good small speakers in their own right. After a solid few days of listening to the SVS system, I am a very happy camper.
That is a very good idea to replace center satellite with Prime Center. In future the front LR can be replaced by Prime Bookshelfs or even Prime Centre placed vertically. Enjoy the new speakers. Please give feedback after couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1195 Old 08-10-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quick update. Overall the system sounds very good but I'm running into an issue with the Prime Center speaker. There are times when dialogue can have more of a low end than I think it should. The voices can sound sound "thick". Sometimes in a scene with two people one voice sounds very clear and sharp while the other sounds a bit too full with more bass. I've taken the Center's crossover as high as 120 but still no real change. I've also raised the dialogue level on my AVR. I've spoken to the guys at SVS and have done several things at their request. I've put my ear up to the mid-range and dome tweeter to make sure that they are working. The center is on a shelf under the TV in an open AV stand so there was some thought that perhaps the two rear ports didn't have enough breathing room. I moved the speaker out in front of the stand. There was some improvement but not enough. We discussed the possibility that the room acoustics were affecting the sound but that's a static situation. I also took one of the surround satellites and tried it as the center but since an Audyssey calibration hadn't been done it didn't sound very good. Since the reviews of the SVS 5.1 system with a satellite as the center have, by and large, been excellent, I ordered a single prime satellite. When I get it I'll try it as the center after Audyssey does it thing. If it ends up working better for me than the Prime Center, I'll return that. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do. I really like the satellites and would prefer to use them with a compatible center and my SVS sub-woofer. We'll see what happens but if any of you can think of something that I haven't tried, let me know.
post #1173 of 1195 Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7309 Post(s)
Liked: 5600
Quote:
I really like the satellites and would prefer to use them with a compatible center and my SVS sub-woofer.
1. There is NEVER any need to "match" the brand of the subwoofer to the brand of the speakers. In other words, you can use your SVS sub with every single other brand of speakers on god's green earth, and absolutely no lightning bolts will fall on you from up high, I promise.

2. "Timbre-matching" the center speaker to the L/R front speakers is a hugely exaggerated myth. As long as the center is reasonably close in impedance and sensitivity to the FL/FR so that your receiver can easily LEVEL-match them, you're golden. In addition to level matching, many receivers nowadays have room correction tools that will also EQ each speaker individually to create an even more seamless soundstage.

The only essential function of a center speaker is DIALOGUE, which happens to be 80% of the HT output---so if you are unhappy with the intelligibility or tonality of your center speaker, by all means try out some other ones from other manufacturers until you find one that truly makes you happy. The center is the true workhorse and backbone of any HT setup since it's what you are actually HEARING most of the time, so this is where you least want to compromise.

3. "Timbre-matching" the front 3 speakers to the surrounds is even more of an OCD myth than #2 . The only time your surrounds need to match the fronts is if you do multi-channel gaming, play a lot of multi-channel music or music in all-speaker stereo (a.k.a. "party mode"). Otherwise the piddling 5-10% of the output coming out of the surrounds, mostly consisting of ambient noises like footsteps, rain, etc. are so brief, intermittent and non-musical that only a certified OCD person sitting on the edge of their seat with their ears glued to the surrounds and only half-watching what's on the screen would even begin to detect any "timbre" differences with the fronts.
Ben Tan likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1195 Old 08-11-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2579
Quote:
Quick update. Overall the system sounds very good but I'm running into an issue with the Prime Center speaker. There are times when dialogue can have more of a low end than I think it should. The voices can sound sound "thick". Sometimes in a scene with two people one voice sounds very clear and sharp while the other sounds a bit too full with more bass. I've taken the Center's crossover as high as 120 but still no real change. I've also raised the dialogue level on my AVR. I've spoken to the guys at SVS and have done several things at their request. I've put my ear up to the mid-range and dome tweeter to make sure that they are working. The center is on a shelf under the TV in an open AV stand so there was some thought that perhaps the two rear ports didn't have enough breathing room. I moved the speaker out in front of the stand. There was some improvement but not enough. We discussed the possibility that the room acoustics were affecting the sound but that's a static situation. I also took one of the surround satellites and tried it as the center but since an Audyssey calibration hadn't been done it didn't sound very good. Since the reviews of the SVS 5.1 system with a satellite as the center have, by and large, been excellent, I ordered a single prime satellite. When I get it I'll try it as the center after Audyssey does it thing. If it ends up working better for me than the Prime Center, I'll return that. If not, I'm not sure what I'll do. I really like the satellites and would prefer to use them with a compatible center and my SVS sub-woofer. We'll see what happens but if any of you can think of something that I haven't tried, let me know.

I doubt it's the speaker. Seems it's a content issue, much content has poor dialogue. It also could be an issue with what Audyssey is doing. ARC is not magic and not always correct.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #1175 of 1195 Old 08-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
There are 2 things you can do without spending money;

1) Re-do Audyssey calibration AGAIN, but this time follow the best practices as laid out in this guide (it sounds to me that Audyssey is boosting the 100hz-300hz range a little too much) - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

2) Do some adjustments to your center channel's positioning. By that, I mean propping it up with feets (door wedges or yoga blocks for example) so that the tweeter points to your ear's listening height when sitted. Note that if you are going to do this, do it first before running Audyssey again.

Center channels are finnicky to set up just right due to its inherrent design. The Prime Center is a good design and if placed correctly, it should sound decent at the very least (the tweeter is may be a little too sizzly if you're sensitive to peaky trebles).

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #1176 of 1195 Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I already have rubber feet under the front of the edge so that the speaker does point more towards the listening position.

Believe me, I've thought about trying some different center channel speakers but there are some limiting factors
- The Prime Center is around 18 3/4 inches wide and that is the absolute limit that my AV stand and equipment setup can handle. Many quality centers are wider than the Prime
- I really don't want to play musical chairs with speakers and get into a try it/return it game if I don't have to. That can be a royal pain.
On a positive note, based on a post that I read somewhere, I pulled the center out enough so that it's speakers, without the cover were flush with the front on the shelf. The cover jutted out beyond the shelf but the speaker is heavy so there was no stability issue. I did perceive that voices were sharper than they had been but I'll know more after I do yet another Audyssey run. If the improvement holds up, I'll call it a day and enjoy the system. If not, and the incoming satellite doesn't work either I may be forced to try another Center, maybe one that doesn't have rear ports and is no wider than the Prime. We'll see.

Last edited by Cal1981; 08-11-2018 at 02:26 PM.
post #1177 of 1195 Old 08-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
- The Prime Center is around 18 3/4 inches wide and that is the absolute limit that my AV stand and equipment setup can handle. Many quality centers are wider than the Prime
- I really don't want to play musical chairs with speakers and get into a try it/return it game if I don't have to. That can be a royal pain.
On a positive note, based on a post that I read somewhere, I pulled the center out enough so that it's speakers, without the cover were flush with the front on the shelf. The cover jutted out beyond the shelf but the speaker is heavy so there was no stability issue. I did perceive that voices were sharper than they had been but I'll know more after I do yet another Audyssey run. If the improvement holds up, I'll call it a day and enjoy the system. If not, and the incoming satellite doesn't work either I may be forced to try another Center, maybe one that doesn't have rear ports and is no wider than the Prime. We'll see.
Well, if further tweaking still leaves you unsatisfied, here's a $10 (flat rate return shipping) experiment that would fit your width restrictions:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vQdBex...50C-Ebony.html

This one fits with room to spare AND has *free* return shipping:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...enter-channel/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #1178 of 1195 Old 08-12-2018, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
I already have rubber feet under the front of the edge so that the speaker does point more towards the listening position.

Believe me, I've thought about trying some different center channel speakers but there are some limiting factors
Yes, the center channel should be flush with the edge of your shelf to avoid as much defraction as possible.

If you aren't already doing it, I suggest using a tripod with a boom arm to hold the mic instead. I found that with ANY room EQ software that using a boom mic with a tripod greatly increases the accuracy of the measurements. I've used about every consumer room EQ and I've always gotten the best results this way.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #1179 of 1195 Old 08-12-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, if further tweaking still leaves you unsatisfied, here's a $10 (flat rate return shipping) experiment that would fit your width restrictions:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vQdBex...50C-Ebony.html

This one fits with room to spare AND has *free* return shipping:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...enter-channel/
The RLS Center is intriguing but it looks like RLS speakers are attuned to their particular construction. I may call them tomorrow to get some information. If their center is as good as reviews indicate, it is a steal.

The Klipsch 250C is about the same width as the Prime and may be overkill something that I'm wondering in regard to the Prime Center. It's got two 5.25 inch woofers and a 3.5 inch mid-range and sits a bit less than 7 feet from the main listening position. Maybe with my odd living room (13x13 viewing/listening area but it opens up another 6 feet to the rear wall. The Klipsch RC-42 II may be a better choice. It's only 16 inches wide. I do like the fact that the RLS and Klipsch Centers are front ported. Makes them ideal for cabinets or lower shelves of AV stands.

This is a rough diagram of my living room:

As you can see I've have little or no flexibility in terms of equipment and the acoustics are probably hardly ideal but it is what is is. The living room was not designed to be an AV area but the family room, which opens to the kitchen made no sense so...
post #1180 of 1195 Old 08-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The RLS Center is intriguing but it looks like RLS speakers are attuned to their particular construction. I may call them tomorrow to get some information. If their center is as good as reviews indicate, it is a steal.

The Klipsch 250C is about the same width as the Prime and may be overkill something that I'm wondering in regard to the Prime Center. It's got two 5.25 inch woofers and a 3.5 inch mid-range and sits a bit less than 7 feet from the main listening position. Maybe with my odd living room (13x13 viewing/listening area but it opens up another 6 feet to the rear wall. The Klipsch RC-42 II may be a better choice. It's only 16 inches wide. I do like the fact that the RLS and Klipsch Centers are front ported. Makes them ideal for cabinets or lower shelves of AV stands.
The RP250C is a 2-way design, it's the SVS that is 3-way.

You don't need to worry about the room dimensions when picking speakers, just the viewing distance...7ft is somewhat close and the RSL CG23 might be fine...with free return shipping I'd probably try that first. I wouldn't worry about it "being attuned to their particular construction"---the few times I've seen anyone not thrilled by that speaker, was them saying it's slightly on the "bright" side---which for an HT center is not a terrible thing, as long as you are getting adequate voice clarity.

post #1181 of 1195 Old 08-12-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My nearby Frys is having an insane sale on the Klipsch RC-25C. It's slightly wider than the SVS Prime and has less height and depth. Maybe I'll give it a look.
post #1182 of 1195 Old 08-12-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
My nearby Frys is having an insane sale on the Klipsch RC-25C. It's slightly wider than the SVS Prime and has less height and depth. Maybe I'll give it a look.
Sure, why not? It'd cost you nothing to return in case you don't like it, just a little gas.

post #1183 of 1195 Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure, why not? It'd cost you nothing to return in case you don't like it, just a little gas.
The Klipsch R-42C is a solid center channel speaker but I took your advice and had a nice chat with one of the RSL guys just now. They have SVS Prime Satellites in the shop and his experience with the Prime center is that its dialogue can get a bit "muddy", which sounds like what I experience. He felt that the RSL CG23 Center would mate very nicely with my SVS Primes so I pulled the trigger and will hopefully have the speaker no later than Friday. Then I'll give it whirl. If it pans out I may keep the Klipsch as well. For what it cost, I can afford to hold onto it.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #1184 of 1195 Old 08-18-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So the RSL CG23 Center got here on Friday morning. It is pretty compact at 16"Wx6"Hx6 3/8" D. It fits more comfortably on the lower shelf of he AV stand than either the SVS Prime or the Klipsch RC-25C. I hooked it up and ran an Audysee calibration. According to Joe at RSL, the speaker does need a 30-40 hour break-in period so I only have very early impressions.

- It meshes very nicely with the SVS Prime Satellites and sub-woofer
- It's has a nice full sound with some mild "heaviness" on some dialogue but much less than the SVS. With that one I had to use Audyssey's Flat EQ rather than Reference but it still didn't mitigate the "muddy" dialogue at times. With some experimentation and increased usage I feel that whatever small issue that the RSL has, it can be ironed out.

Based on this I called SVS and got an return authorization. The Prime center will be on it's way back on Monday. BTW, I can't praise the SVS reps enough. They are great and if, after all of their recommendations, you're still not totally satisfied, a return is easy. Joe and his folks at RSL are also very nice to deal with and. clearly, make very good speakers. I can't find my Fry's receipt so I may have to keep the Klipsch but if that turns out to be the case, for what I paid for it I'm not that concerned. The RSL and Klipsch combined were a bit less than the Prime.
post #1185 of 1195 Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2853 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
So the RSL CG23 Center got here on Friday morning. It is pretty compact at 16"Wx6"Hx6 3/8" D. It fits more comfortably on the lower shelf of he AV stand than either the SVS Prime or the Klipsch RC-25C. I hooked it up and ran an Audysee calibration. According to Joe at RSL, the speaker does need a 30-40 hour break-in period so I only have very early impressions.

- It's has a nice full sound with some mild "heaviness" on some dialogue but much less than the SVS. With that one I had to use Audyssey's Flat EQ rather than Reference but it still didn't mitigate the "muddy" dialogue at times. With some experimentation and increased usage I feel that whatever small issue that the RSL has, it can be ironed out.

Based on this I called SVS and got an return authorization. The Prime center will be on it's way back on Monday. BTW, I can't praise the SVS reps enough. They are great and if, after all of their recommendations, you're still not totally satisfied, a return is easy. Joe and his folks at RSL are also very nice to deal with and. clearly, make very good speakers. I can't find my Fry's receipt so I may have to keep the Klipsch but if that turns out to be the case, for what I paid for it I'm not that concerned. The RSL and Klipsch combined were a bit less than the Prime.
I have the primes bookshelves and center and I think what you are noticing might be a function of room acoustics, placement and also Audyssey because I have the Yamaha 2070 AVR and don't use the auto EQ part of YPAO, just a MiniDSP 2x4 HD for sub PEQ.

In my setup, the dialogue if anything is on the leaner, brighter side. Mostly neutral though. I think the EQ boost Audyssey is applying might have something to do with, as when I tried YPAO's auto EQ, both flat and natural options; it did mess with the sound from the speakers vs just the through setting (bypass EQ).

If you have a newer Audyssey based AVR that supports the phone app, you might be able to tweak things to eliminate the bass excess in the vocal range. REW could also help if you want to go that route.

IME, the auto EQ programs hurt SQ above the modal region and even for the sub something like the MiniDSP combined with REW can work much better. My ears much prefer the speaker sound unequalized. And I don’t like the sound of boost filters, even in the bass region.

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
post #1186 of 1195 Old 09-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Yes, SVS has absolutely stellar customer service. I had a similar experience when I ordered and returned the Prime bookshelves.

An interesting comparison to your RSL CG23 would be the Emotiva C1 center, which is $250 shipped or $221 alleged "factory renewed" (probably just excess A-stock). If you order from Amazon you could probably get free return shipping if you're a Prime member...but there's a good chance you would NOT be sending it back. It's the single best center speaker I've ever had, and I've had plenty...zero "muddy" at any time, ever.

post #1187 of 1195 Old 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
es.

An interesting comparison to your RSL CG23 would be the Emotiva C1 center, which is $250 shipped or $221 alleged "factory renewed" (probably just excess A-stock). If you order from Amazon you could probably get free return shipping if you're a Prime member...but there's a good chance you would NOT be sending it back. It's the single best center speaker I've ever had, and I've had plenty...zero "muddy" at any time, ever.
Unfortunately, at 20" the Emotiva is too wide. 18" is the absolute outside limit in my AV stand. The CG23, at 16", fits perfectly.Now that it's broken in, its sound is excellent and it adds no muddiness to any that may be inherent in the source material. It's a keeper.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #1188 of 1195 Old 09-29-2018, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am currently running prime towers with the ultra center. I like them, but sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake not getting the ultra bookshelf for my mains.

does anyone have any experience here with them? I do sometimes feel like my ultra center has a more natural/transparent sound than the prime towers. I think I have a bad case of "the grass is always greener"

also doesn't help constantly reading about other great sounding speakers: goldenear, chane, htd 3, ascend 2's, dynaudio, and monitor silvers all look very interesting to me.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
5.2.2 Setup: Denon X3200W, SVS Prime towers, SVS Ultra center, 4 SVS prime satellites, 2 SVS PB-2000's.
post #1189 of 1195 Old 09-29-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 26544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthatcity View Post
I am currently running prime towers with the ultra center. I like them, but sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake not getting the ultra bookshelf for my mains.

does anyone have any experience here with them? I do sometimes feel like my ultra center has a more natural/transparent sound than the prime towers. I think I have a bad case of "the grass is always greener"

also doesn't help constantly reading about other great sounding speakers: goldenear, chane, htd 3, ascend 2's, dynaudio, and monitor silvers all look very interesting to me.
I really like my Ultra bed of 7 Since I have no experience with the Primes I can't say whether or not there is a difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini-HT - Surround listening Room.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	2461872   Click image for larger version

Name:	F12 New Position.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	865.9 KB
ID:	2461874  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #1190 of 1195 Old 09-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I really like my Ultra bed of 7 Since I have no experience with the Primes I can't say whether or not there is a difference
wow that is a sweet setup!!! I am just using the prime sats for my surrounds. the ultras are probably overkill but I mean, it certainly does not hurt. and multichannel music must sound incredible (most recently I really loved the roger waters the wall bluray)

I think I probably would get a little better sound from the ultra books, but there are always some tradeoffs going from a floor stander. if I could do it over again I would get the bookshelves I think. I have 2 pb2000s which is also probably overkill. i could have gotten 1 pb2000 and then gotten ultra towers for almost the same price as everything lol.
Matt2026 likes this.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
5.2.2 Setup: Denon X3200W, SVS Prime towers, SVS Ultra center, 4 SVS prime satellites, 2 SVS PB-2000's.
post #1191 of 1195 Old 09-29-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 26544
Quote:
wow that is a sweet setup!!! I am just using the prime sats for my surrounds. the ultras are probably overkill but I mean, it certainly does not hurt. and multichannel music must sound incredible (most recently I really loved the roger waters the wall bluray)

I think I probably would get a little better sound from the ultra books, but there are always some tradeoffs going from a floor stander. if I could do it over again I would get the bookshelves I think. I have 2 pb2000s which is also probably overkill. i could have gotten 1 pb2000 and then gotten ultra towers for almost the same price as everything lol.
Thanks for the compliment

Well, I'm an old guy and I figured this is likely my last go around So... I upgraded to the all Ultra setup over a year or so. 4 of my bookshelves came from the outlet store and looked brand new when I got them, that saved a few $$$ After considering the Primes I decided since it was to be my last upgrade I figured I'd reduce the chance of buyers remorse

Whatever path you take, enjoy it!

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #1192 of 1195 Old 09-29-2018, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
To give you a bit of feedback. I started with Two Prime Towers, Prime Center, and Two PC-2000's. This setup was like being at a live rock concert. Then I upgraded to Two Prime Towers, Ultra Center, and Two PC-2000's. This setup added more meat and potatoes to my center. Then I upgraded to Two Ultra Towers, Ultra Center, and Two PC-2000's.

Also, as an aside, probably the best thing about any of these setups is my dual PC-2000's as they are fantastic and as soon as SVS makes a PC-3000 model I will be upgrading to them. With this said, I would strongly recommend running dual subwoofers even if you decide to upgrade your Prime Towers to Ultra Towers. The Ultra Towers have more meat and potato's then the Prime Towers but to me they are in no way able to output bass like a powered subwoofer.
Bevmo likes this.
post #1193 of 1195 Old 09-30-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgrds View Post
To give you a bit of feedback. I started with Two Prime Towers, Prime Center, and Two PC-2000's. This setup was like being at a live rock concert. Then I upgraded to Two Prime Towers, Ultra Center, and Two PC-2000's. This setup added more meat and potatoes to my center. Then I upgraded to Two Ultra Towers, Ultra Center, and Two PC-2000's.

Also, as an aside, probably the best thing about any of these setups is my dual PC-2000's as they are fantastic and as soon as SVS makes a PC-3000 model I will be upgrading to them. With this said, I would strongly recommend running dual subwoofers even if you decide to upgrade your Prime Towers to Ultra Towers. The Ultra Towers have more meat and potato's then the Prime Towers but to me they are in no way able to output bass like a powered subwoofer.

Big +, to that

Let the subs, do what they do best
I still run all my speakers at 80Hz, even my Main and Center that could go lower.

Ray
post #1194 of 1195 Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi. In my medium size (I think) living room of 19*9*9 feet (having hard tiled floor, concrete walls and ceiling) I have Wharfedale Diamond 220 LCR driven by Yamaha RXV677 AVR with PB1000 sub. Presently the listening distance is 8 feet which when rearranged will be 15 feet. Surrounds are old Sony HiFi Bookshelf (16-32 ohm). I want to upgrade Centre for dialogue clarity. I am considering SVS Prime or Klipsch RP250c (higher price than Svs even after discount). In India both cost 50% more than in US. I may upgrade the LR also in future if required (not bothered about timbre matching presently).
   My problem is I am very sensitive to sound of Cymbals and bigger bells in temples. I can not stand their loud sound even for few seconds. So shall these speakers with Metal Twitters be shrill or bright at moderate volume in untreated living room.
When I demoed  Klipsch RP  (some floorstander, RP 160, 450C) in fully treated theatre room, I felt sound of swords a bit bright.
Do my system and room size need very sensitive speakers like Klipsch?
Kindly clarify. TIA. Regards Sanjay.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #1195 of 1195 Old 01-05-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 795
I just realized there are these rubber black wedges for prime elavation speakers I have. Where do you put it? It’s used to secure the speaker from falling?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37AAAEAE-9AEA-4F8A-8760-1EC0005F4104_1546705708303.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	2506078  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page