New SVS Prime series speakers - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 322Likes

post #121 of 1195 Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
svs prime satelite speakers

I just set up three prime sat speakers up front in my 13x17x8 room with mirage Omni sat speakers in rear. Driven by a denon x-2000 receiver. I am really impressed...plenty of punch and the extended highs in those tweeters are awesome. Very clear dialog in movies. Happy I tried them out.
darthray and Gurba like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1195 Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've been trying out the prime bookshelves and center channel the past few days. Very impressed, going to keep them. Great build, amazing clarity, deep reach and they look nice.
darthray, Gurba and ericc191 like this.
post #123 of 1195 Old 11-25-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's good to hear! I'm just starting to look for a simple set up for my one bedroom apartment and the prime bookshelves are a serious contender. I need something fairly small, but I don't want to miss out too much on the lower end. Hopefully I will be able to give these an in home trial in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 1195 Old 12-02-2014, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys , I have a room that I'm turning into home theater in my basement 13x17 and I'm was thinking of getting SVS Prime satellite as 7.1 system with PB 2000... What you guys think about it or I should get a different system? Please share your thoughts
post #125 of 1195 Old 12-02-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Svs Prime Satelite speakers

You get 45 days to try them out and if you don't want to keep them...Send them back to SVS. Return shipping paid for also. You may not send them back! But if you do I would highly recommend EMP e5bi bookshelf speakers.
post #126 of 1195 Old 12-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliek View Post
Hello guys , I have a room that I'm turning into home theater in my basement 13x17 and I'm was thinking of getting SVS Prime satellite as 7.1 system with PB 2000... What you guys think about it or I should get a different system? Please share your thoughts
Maybe they are a bit small for Your room. The Primes might be a better option. But as mentioned you can try With no risk.
post #127 of 1195 Old 12-02-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by applemnet View Post
I just set up three prime sat speakers up front in my 13x17x8 room with mirage Omni sat speakers in rear. Driven by a denon x-2000 receiver. I am really impressed...plenty of punch and the extended highs in those tweeters are awesome. Very clear dialog in movies. Happy I tried them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post
I've been trying out the prime bookshelves and center channel the past few days. Very impressed, going to keep them. Great build, amazing clarity, deep reach and they look nice.

Thanks for your impressions

Ray
post #128 of 1195 Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I got my Prime Satellites the other day and thought I would come some early impressions. First thing is that the black ash doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the piano black. These are rear speakers in a projection based theater (so I'm not a huge fan of shinny finishes) so I don't much care, but it is an observation I made. I took a little time before I hooked the Primes up in the back of the system and tested them out in the front. I'm currently using EMP e55 towers, so there was never any real chance of me choosing to keep the Satellites in the front, but I wanted to give them a bit of a workout. Overall I was very impressed, the speakers sounded great and provided some excellent highs. I actually think I like the high end on the satellites as much as I do on my EMP's. I was able to get the volume plenty loud without any noticeable distortion from the speakers. Overall they present with a very neutral sound, I didn't think that they really colored the sound at all, which is something I'm a big fan of. If I was in the position of trying to put together a cheap 5.1 setup the $1000 5.1 package from SVS would be a great choice. As for using these speakers as rear surrounds, I'm very happy with my choice and they should have a long life back there.
Gurba, dsrussell and bsuave like this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #129 of 1195 Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Yeah I will just try them out & see how it sounds as for 7.1 for my theater room ,I did not want the bookselve speakers because of the big size I just want to hang the satellite speakers due to the size.. I already have klipsch rb6ii but too big for my projector room.. But guys can I put the klipsch on the bottom of screen for left & right speaker ? I don't want to put it in the middle or high either cuz it block my 120 inch screen or come in as a distraction
post #130 of 1195 Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Any recommendations for 7.1 home theater speakers with excellent theater room sound speakers for movies & gaming price ranged up to $2000 if the SVS satellite prime doesn't work out for me.. Thanks
post #131 of 1195 Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any recommendations for 7.1 home theater speakers with excellent theater room sound speakers for movies & gaming price ranged up to $2000 if the SVS satellite prime doesn't work out for me.. Thanks

Maybe the 2 following
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...series/intimus
or
EMP Tek speakers.
+ a $500 sub from SVS or other offering.

Sorry, that I do not have more link for you!!!!

Working with this new 8.1 PC version and it sucks!
Anyhow look at these names, they do offer some good stuff for lower budget ( except SVS, it is their entry level).

So far from what I saw, the SVS is a winner for quality and price.
Just trying to give you more option if you do not like the SVS

Ray
post #132 of 1195 Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2703 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
With your limits on size you'll have a hard time getting anything better.

You have to use bigger speakers to get bigger sound.
post #133 of 1195 Old 12-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

post #134 of 1195 Old 12-04-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm seeing a lot of people talking about the excellent and crisp highs. What about the low end? Has anyone tried using the Prime or Ultra bookshelfs by themselves?

Right now I'm looking for speakers for my 2.0 PC setup. A sub won't be possible, so nice tight bass is a must. I'm looking at Energy RC-10s, SVS Prime Bookshelfs, and I'm even open to spending $1000 on a powerful set of bookshelfs such as the Primes. Any other bookshelf speakers that should be on my radar around $1000 with excellent bass, but still have clear highs.
post #135 of 1195 Old 12-04-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc191 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of people talking about the excellent and crisp highs. What about the low end? Has anyone tried using the Prime or Ultra bookshelfs by themselves?

Right now I'm looking for speakers for my 2.0 PC setup. A sub won't be possible, so nice tight bass is a must. I'm looking at Energy RC-10s, SVS Prime Bookshelfs, and I'm even open to spending $1000 on a powerful set of bookshelfs such as the Primes. Any other bookshelf speakers that should be on my radar around $1000 with excellent bass, but still have clear highs.
If you have a $1000 budget... In addition to the SVS Prime and Ultra, the Philharmonic Philharmonitor is worth a look too, as is the Ascend Sierra. The NHT Classic Three is also a very good speaker, but not sure it will have the bass extension you're after. I've owned the Sierra and NHT. I haven't heard the Philharmonic, but it uses the same SB Acoustics woofer as the Dana 640i speaker I now own, so I know that woofer is capable of very good bass.

I would skip the Energy RC-10's. I owned them for quite awhile, and they are nice speakers... but they have a bit extra going on in the upper bass, and while they are punchy, I wouldn't describe the bass as tight. In fact, the upper bass/low midrange coloration was my biggest complaint about the RC-10. With your budget, you can do much better.
ericc191 likes this.

Last edited by alphaiii; 12-04-2014 at 04:39 PM.
post #136 of 1195 Old 12-04-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

NHT Classic 3

Klipsch RB81II
ericc191 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #137 of 1195 Old 12-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks for the replies. I'll check them out. I will say I have looked into the Classic 3 and I can't ignore those looks. Completely not my style. I've liked the look of the other speakers mentioned, however. The Philharmonic speakers look pretty damn powerful. My only reservation is the height.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll do. Try the Primes. If they don't have what I need down low, I'll Try the Ultras. I've heard they have some crazy good lows. If by some miracle they don't, Philharmonic will be next.

I think the Ultras look the best out of most of the speakers I've seen, for what it's worth.

Edit: Alright, due to the crazy good trial policy SVS offers and insanely quick customer service via e-mail, I have no choice but to give those Ultras a try. Also, the last set of speakers I had lasted me almost 10 years.. So I see myself going with a 2.0 setup for now until I'm done with school and get a house. Then, I can build up to a decent 5.1 setup around the Ultras.
darthray and Gurba like this.

Last edited by ericc191; 12-04-2014 at 09:43 PM.
post #138 of 1195 Old 12-05-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'll check them out. I will say I have looked into the Classic 3 and I can't ignore those looks. Completely not my style. I've liked the look of the other speakers mentioned, however. The Philharmonic speakers look pretty damn powerful. My only reservation is the height.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll do. Try the Primes. If they don't have what I need down low, I'll Try the Ultras. I've heard they have some crazy good lows. If by some miracle they don't, Philharmonic will be next.

I think the Ultras look the best out of most of the speakers I've seen, for what it's worth.

Edit: Alright, due to the crazy good trial policy SVS offers and insanely quick customer service via e-mail, I have no choice but to give those Ultras a try. Also, the last set of speakers I had lasted me almost 10 years.. So I see myself going with a 2.0 setup for now until I'm done with school and get a house. Then, I can build up to a decent 5.1 setup around the Ultras.

I think you will be Happy with your choice
Just make sure to come back with your own impression to help other new members within your budget.
Even the senior members like me and others can learn from your impression

Happy listening.

Ray
ericc191 likes this.
post #139 of 1195 Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM

Liked: 10
Im thinking about getting the prime center and towers. Would you say they are more detailed in clarity over polks? I have a csi6 for center and rti12 for fronts and even though they are bright as people say, they seem to lack clarity, at least to my ears.
post #140 of 1195 Old 12-08-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try them for yourself. With SVS' return policy you have nothing to lose.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #141 of 1195 Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For people that have heard both the Prime and the Ultra flootstanding speakers, is the Ultra worth the $400 more than the Prime? I.E. is it worth me saving up the cost difference or going with the Prime.

One other question for those in the know, I know the Ultras come in Bipolar configuration, is there any chance of getting a bipolar prime series speaker for the surrounds?
post #142 of 1195 Old 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
For people that have heard both the Prime and the Ultra flootstanding speakers, is the Ultra worth the $400 more than the Prime? I.E. is it worth me saving up the cost difference or going with the Prime.

One other question for those in the know, I know the Ultras come in Bipolar configuration, is there any chance of getting a bipolar prime series speaker for the surrounds?

It's all depend how much you want better.
For me the Ultra would be worth-it, but it's not going to be 40% more better.
10%-15% maybe.
It's like me owning separate over an AVR.

It is all about how much money you want to spend and how much more you are willing to pay for small difference.
Audio is a hobby

The Prime is a good place to start and as budget increase you move up if you get more serious about this hobby or spend the big money now and be done with it.
And some people are Happy at the lower budget system and stay there.
Only you can answer that question.

Ray
groundtrac and Matt2026 like this.
post #143 of 1195 Old 12-08-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
It's all depend how much you want better.
For me the Ultra would be worth-it, but it's not going to be 40% more better.
10%-15% maybe.
It's like me owning separate over an AVR.

It is all about how much money you want to spend and how much more you are willing to pay for small difference.
Audio is a hobby

The Prime is a good place to start and as budget increase you move up if you get more serious about this hobby or spend the big money now and be done with it.
And some people are Happy at the lower budget system and stay there.
Only you can answer that question.

Ray

While I will be the first to say, I do not mind spending more for a clearly superior product. I also like to get the best value for my dollar. I have a entry level receiver which I seems to do just fine for me and my needs. Given those details I think the Prime would be in my range. I was also comparing them to the Triton 7's and Deftech speakers as well as Focal Aria 906 and sierra 2's, ( I have that info in another thread) I think that these might be a little under budget but still stand up to my needs?
darthray likes this.
post #144 of 1195 Old 12-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
While I will be the first to say, I do not mind spending more for a clearly superior product. I also like to get the best value for my dollar. I have a entry level receiver which I seems to do just fine for me and my needs. Given those details I think the Prime would be in my range. I was also comparing them to the Triton 7's and Deftech speakers as well as Focal Aria 906 and sierra 2's, ( I have that info in another thread) I think that these might be a little under budget but still stand up to my needs?
Me thinks that the main difference between Prime and Ultra is the bass. If you want more bass without using subs Ultra i the way to go.
darthray likes this.
post #145 of 1195 Old 12-09-2014, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I ordered 2 prime satellites and a center yesterday. They will be my LCR with QS8's for surrounds and a PB12-Plus. I hope this works out like I'm hoping.
post #146 of 1195 Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Going back to the Prime Satellites, after spending a day or so with them as my mains my overall impression was positive. As I said in my previous review they really couldn't compete with my EMP towers, but for their size they did a pretty impressive job. I've moved them into their final position now as rear surround speakers. While I can't say the difference between them and my KLH speakers is night and day (rear speakers in a 7.1 setup really don't do that much), the rear audio is noticeably improved. The entire system overall has benefited from overall cleaner surround. I'm didn't break the bank on rear surrounds, managed to improve my system some, and (most importantly for me) moved to a speaker that fits much better into my theater. I'm going to go ahead and call that a win.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #147 of 1195 Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would say go with the Prime, you might be Happy and never look back
For some of us it's like a drug, other it's a car/truck or something else.

Start within a specific budget and move on or not if this is become your passion or not.

Ray
post #148 of 1195 Old 12-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I would say go with the Prime, you might be Happy and never look back
For some of us it's like a drug, other it's a car/truck or something else.

Start within a specific budget and move on or not if this is become your passion or not.

Ray

I think I just might do that. Either way these would be a huge upgrade from my Klipsch f-series foorstanders. I have decided to spend around $1400 max on my R/L, but if I can find a speaker I am happy with for less that would be great; I am really just tossing between these (my cheaper choice) and the Ascend Sierra 2's (top of my budget)... luckily I have a week or two before I pull the trigger.
post #149 of 1195 Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

will you use a sub? do you listen to 2ch w/out a sub? the ultra's with the dual 8's are very bass pronounced. I use them w/out my pb13 for 2ch listening and they are great. if you will use a sub or lean more towards mid/highs the prime's will be just fine. primarily the difference with the primes and ultra are the dual 8's, but also the ultras use a better material for their mids as well.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
post #150 of 1195 Old 12-09-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
will you use a sub? do you listen to 2ch w/out a sub? the ultra's with the dual 8's are very bass pronounced. I use them w/out my pb13 for 2ch listening and they are great. if you will use a sub or lean more towards mid/highs the prime's will be just fine. primarily the difference with the primes and ultra are the dual 8's, but also the ultras use a better material for their mids as well.
I currently have a SVS PB1000 that will be used with them for the bass (I could buy another for the same price or less than upgrading to ultra). I usually will be listening to music with the sub, I am just used to having the full range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page