New SVS Prime series speakers - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 322Likes

post #151 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 179
In my opinion..

Prime + dual pb1000 > Ultra + single pb1000

Currently Auditioning: Klipsch RP-150M
SOLD: EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Trolly...Let us know how you like the prime satellites. I tried them out lcr with mirage Omni sats in rear. They blended together perfectly. I was impressed.
post #153 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I just hooked up a pair of Prime Sats for front L/R to replace the existing sats in a Klipsch HD300 setup. I wanted to achieve a few things in doing so: 1) Lower the crossover point of 150Hz required by the small, sealed Klipsch sats. 2) Increase dynamic capability for movies. 3) Overall improvement of the system.

I figured the 45 day trial was plenty of time to give these a shot. The system is powered by a Denon X1000 AVR(5.1). I needed small sats with enough low end range to allow crossing them below 100Hz. I also need the small size for the center channel as it sits in front of the bottom of the TV housing on a mantle(TV is wall mounted above fireplace). The tiny Klipsch system fits perfectly for the area available, so I needed to find suitably sized replacements. Once I add a Prime Sat for the center, I will need to lie it horizontally and concoct a mount of some sort.

So, I was able to satisfy all 3 requirements above, even with only the L/R. The crossover for the Primes is now at 90Hz, I hear greater dynamics without compressing, and the rest of the system has improved as a result.

To satisfy my curiosity, I first hooked them up in my 2.1 system which consists of a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2's, a 12" sealed Rythmik sub, a Marantz SR6003 AVR and a Cambridge Audio Digital iPod dock. The Prime sats were placed on top of the 2's, crossed at 80Hz to the Rythmik. When I hit play and the music started, I had to get up and make sure I'd switched the connections from 2's to sats. They sounded pretty darn good. I did not do any switching as I was only playing around with them before installing them in their intended location, but from what I heard they are a serious speaker. Naturally, it is not fair to compare an aluminum dome to a RAAL Ribbon tweeter......not in any sense. Yet, the Prime tweeters are really open and clear and are the real deal. After living with the RAAL ribbons and hearing how natural and real they are, without any harshness or zing while giving you every detail the recording has in it, I could not live with the great Prime aluminum dome in my music setup. There is some zing to them, but not offensive from what I heard. Had I not been spoiled by the RAALs I could easily live with them in my music system. Like I said, not a fair fight but I had to try it. Some may even prefer the SVS tweeters to the RAALs, but I have not heard of anyone willing to go back to domes once exposed to the ribbons.

Now, for my living room HT setup they absolutely rock! Just need that 3rd one for the center, then the 2 surrounds, then a better sub.............ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Considering the price difference that is pretty amazing the prime satellites were even in the same ballpark as the Sierra-2's. Thanks for the impressions.... becoming more and more sure I am going to go for the 5.1 prime satellite system next year when I "downsize" my polk rti8/csi5. Will be curious to hear what you think of using the sat as a center.... That is my one possible concern having such a small center channel (although long term plan would be to eventually upgrade that to the prime center and add a second sb1000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post
Now, for my living room HT setup they absolutely rock! Just need that 3rd one for the center, then the 2 surrounds, then a better sub.............ugh!
Why not go for the 5.1 system @$999? That package is a $175 savings over buying everything individually and is a pretty good deal imo.

Last edited by jagouar; 12-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
post #155 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the ultra center will pair good with the prime towers? I'm thinking it will be a better match than the prime center
post #156 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder01 View Post
Does anyone know if the ultra center will pair good with the prime towers? I'm thinking it will be a better match than the prime center
I just asked SVS this question yesterday. They responded that both the Ultras and Primes both "play well" together.
post #157 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder01 View Post
Ed Mullen said so.
post #158 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks, with the ultra center having 6.5 woofers which match that of the prime towers and the mid only 0.5" smaller than the mid on the tower that's why I think it might be a better match
post #159 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by applemnet View Post
Trolly...Let us know how you like the prime satellites. I tried them out lcr with mirage Omni sats in rear. They blended together perfectly. I was impressed.
I'll report back but my wife is making me wait till Christmas before I can set them up.
post #160 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
While I will be the first to say, I do not mind spending more for a clearly superior product. I also like to get the best value for my dollar. I have a entry level receiver which I seems to do just fine for me and my needs. Given those details I think the Prime would be in my range. I was also comparing them to the Triton 7's and Deftech speakers as well as Focal Aria 906 and sierra 2's, ( I have that info in another thread) I think that these might be a little under budget but still stand up to my needs?

I think you will Happy with your choice SVS as some other brand that I support offer very good products for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
Me thinks that the main difference between Prime and Ultra is the bass. If you want more bass without using subs Ultra i the way to go.

+1
Other than the tweeter and mids a little more refine, not for everyone to spend the extra money.
Yes the biggest difference would be the bass and a waist if you use a good sub.
If you look at all my previous posts, I always champion a tower over a bookshelf for the little extra you get in the mid bass.
In this case the 2 side sub drivers are a completely waist when using a good sub

Ray
Gurba likes this.
post #161 of 1195 Old 12-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Do you guys think these would make good surround speakers for an older BA Lynnfield VR LCR setup? I'm running VR950 mains and a VR10 center and am looking for some sattelites for surrounds.
post #162 of 1195 Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I wonder how the prime bookshelfs & center would hold up against ascend cmt-340 LCR. Almost identical price (800$)???
post #163 of 1195 Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 166
tower review

here's a very well detailed review with measurements.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
darthray and Matt2026 like this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
post #164 of 1195 Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by applemnet View Post
This is actually really good to hear! I'm heavily invested in Mirage Omnisats (11 with 4 more on the way!) The one thing I've always felt could be better is the center channel though. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Prime Center to see if that makes a big difference, but have been unable to pull the trigger. I've been concerned about the timbre matching which has always been touted as really important.

I know SVS has the 45 day return policy, but the logistics on my end make swapping out the center more than a simple task.

Maybe I'll give it a try for myself for Christmas.
post #165 of 1195 Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
here's a very well detailed review with measurements.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

Thanks for the link
I am not in the market since I am Happy with my aperion Verus Grand, but this is nice reading for the one who are looking into them.
It could be very helpful to some members

Ray
post #166 of 1195 Old 12-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
So has anybody had/listened to the Prime towers? I have read reviews about the bookshelf's and SAT's but have not heard many reviews on the towers, I would really like to hear some opinions before buying them myself.
post #167 of 1195 Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
So has anybody had/listened to the Prime towers? I have read reviews about the bookshelf's and SAT's but have not heard many reviews on the towers, I would really like to hear some opinions before buying them myself.
very true, but with free shipping both ways....what do you have to lose? find out first hand versus someone elses views?
post #168 of 1195 Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
very true, but with free shipping both ways....what do you have to lose? find out first hand versus someone elses views?
This may be a strange question, but who do they use for shipping? I live on an island so choices for shipping are limited...
post #169 of 1195 Old 12-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

hmmm, good question there. i'm not sure who they would use in your case....i was assuming you were continental united states. you may have to call customer service on that one.
post #170 of 1195 Old 12-18-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
hmmm, good question there. i'm not sure who they would use in your case....i was assuming you were continental united states. you may have to call customer service on that one.
I am in the US.. I can get packages and can get to a UPS/FedEx store, it's just not exactly convenient if I decided to send them back.
post #171 of 1195 Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I just might do that. Either way these would be a huge upgrade from my Klipsch f-series foorstanders. I have decided to spend around $1400 max on my R/L, but if I can find a speaker I am happy with for less that would be great; I am really just tossing between these (my cheaper choice) and the Ascend Sierra 2's (top of my budget)... luckily I have a week or two before I pull the trigger.

If your budget is a max of $1400 for your L/R.
You might also want to look at these ($1200).
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
I have it's big brother, the Grand and honestly Love them
For the subs, I got SVS PB13 Ultra and before that, I had the PB12plus/2

Either way both company make great products.
Just another option.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 12-18-2014 at 07:03 PM.
post #172 of 1195 Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
If your budget is a max of $1400 for your L/R.
You might also look at these ($1200).
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
I have it's big brother, the Grand and honestly Love them
For the subs, I got SVS PB13 Ultra and before that, I had the PB12plus/2

Either way both company make great products.
Just another option.

Ray
Thanks, I like those too, I wish there were not so many choices and options. ...
post #173 of 1195 Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I like those too, I wish there were not so many choices and options. ...

Choices are great
This where reviews Pro/user come handy!!!

Internet is a great tool, just lots reading on place like this and other.
Happy Hunting and Happy listening once you come to a decision.

I have spend weeks of reading before making my decision between SVS Ultra towers, center and 4 bookshelf or the aperion Verus Grand for the same speakers.
Both offer great speakers for about the same prices (for the series I was looking).

I do not regret my choice, but if I would have went the other, I'm sure I would still be happy!

Internet is your friend! Also read between the line as "bias or not".
I know, decision, decision!?

Worst case scenario, try both at home and decide for yourself and also contact them for more personal info. Both are great for responding.
They both offer free shipping, but also against taking advantage of such companies since they only can compete for a better product for less (yes they still make money).

Research and reading first.
Hope this help a little

Ray
post #174 of 1195 Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

one thing i have learned, is that if you have nothing to compare something to when it comes to speakers, you will typically "fall in love" with whatever it is you purchased. then, when you go somewhere and hear speakers that are much nicer/more expensive, then you feel like you could do better. that's when upgrade-itis kicks in! then you buy something else and it all starts again. it's a vicious circle of AV really. you love what you bought until you happen to hear someone else's setup that is that much better that it is noticeable. sadly, it probably has more to do with setup and calibration than it does the actual speaker (price being similar).
post #175 of 1195 Old 12-19-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I wonder how these compare to the TSI500's I own now.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #176 of 1195 Old 12-19-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
one thing i have learned, is that if you have nothing to compare something to when it comes to speakers, you will typically "fall in love" with whatever it is you purchased. then, when you go somewhere and hear speakers that are much nicer/more expensive, then you feel like you could do better. that's when upgrade-itis kicks in! then you buy something else and it all starts again. it's a vicious circle of AV really. you love what you bought until you happen to hear someone else's setup that is that much better that it is noticeable. sadly, it probably has more to do with setup and calibration than it does the actual speaker (price being similar).

In my case, I still had my Beloved DIY.
Had them for over 10 years and never had the need to replace them and I use to change speakers on a yearly basis before them.
About two years ago, I started to itch for a change after I moved-up from better A/V processor to another.

Speakers are subjective to your own ears and no one else.
This is what make this hobby fun
That said, I firmly believe in doing a little bit of research.
SVS started as in the garage company and look at them now.
When a product get great review and following, it is a good point to start.

So you are Right about speakers should be compare
I think SVS offer a new great product for the money

All good from this end, just another suggestion on my part, but it was for more $$$ (if your were referring to me).

Ray
post #177 of 1195 Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
In my case, I still had my Beloved DIY.
Had them for over 10 years and never had the need to replace them and I use to change speakers on a yearly basis before them.
About two years ago, I started to itch for a change after I moved-up from better A/V processor to another.

Speakers are subjective to your own ears and no one else.
This is what make this hobby fun
That said, I firmly believe in doing a little bit of research.
SVS started as in the garage company and look at them now.
When a product get great review and following, it is a good point to start.

So you are Right about speakers should be compare
I think SVS offer a new great product for the money

All good from this end, just another suggestion on my part, but it was for more $$$ (if your were referring to me).

Ray
please don't take my post for an attack....it certainly wasn't meant as such, especially toward you. i was just making the point that many people LOVE whatever it is they just decided to buy. i agree that everyone has different ears and different tastes for sure. but go to pretty much any dedicated speaker thread here or anywhere else, and you will notice one common theme. everyone absolutely LOVES whatever it is they just bought. most times the mini reviews look very similar across brand and type of speaker. "great detail, very revealing, perfect speakers!" lol. the really funny part is with some people, they give that glowing response this month, only to say they found the REAL audio nirvana 6-8 months from now.....and then again in another year....and on and on.
darthray likes this.
post #178 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
please don't take my post for an attack....it certainly wasn't meant as such, especially toward you. i was just making the point that many people LOVE whatever it is they just decided to buy. i agree that everyone has different ears and different tastes for sure. but go to pretty much any dedicated speaker thread here or anywhere else, and you will notice one common theme. everyone absolutely LOVES whatever it is they just bought. most times the mini reviews look very similar across brand and type of speaker. "great detail, very revealing, perfect speakers!" lol. the really funny part is with some people, they give that glowing response this month, only to say they found the REAL audio nirvana 6-8 months from now.....and then again in another year....and on and on.
I have noticed this trend as well. Luckily for me the majority of my friends don't have anything as far as speakers, most of them think their sound bar or Beats Pills are just as good as movie theaters; so unless I go out and actively look I doubt I will hear much better. Next week the wife and I will go out and listen to as many different speakers as she can handle and then try and make a decision. I feel like I have a very musical ear however, my auditory memory is very short. I can remember liking or disliking speakers, and liking or disliking specific tonal qualities but as far as the actual true sound of the speaker I feel like I lose that quickly. This leads to my question of if I really like a speaker I heard in a store, but decide to try SVS as well with the intent on returning if I don't like it as much will I really be able to remember if I like one or the other better?
post #179 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

i would just check the return policy for the brick and mortar store, and if possible coordinate the delivery of the SVS at the same time so you can listen to both speakers in YOUR room. there is no better way to decide since you will see how each speaker reacts in your specific room and it should make the differences between them more noticeable. pick the one you like the best and return the other.
post #180 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No worries
I did not took it as a personal attack.
Just sometime, I try to explain something and it does come out the wrong way.
So my bad for that.
However yours was well said.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page