New SVS Prime series speakers - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 322Likes

post #181 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
i would just check the return policy for the brick and mortar store, and if possible coordinate the delivery of the SVS at the same time so you can listen to both speakers in YOUR room. there is no better way to decide since you will see how each speaker reacts in your specific room and it should make the differences between them more noticeable. pick the one you like the best and return the other.
This is ideal, however... I unfortunately do not have the available cheddar to do so....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 582
isn't that what credit cards are for?
post #183 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
isn't that what credit cards are for?
Haha true... but if that's my plan my money would be better spent on a comfy couch if you catch my drift....

I might see what I can do, or order the SVS, THEN go listen so it is somewhat fresh in my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 582
well, my point is that with a credit card you basically can float the cost for 30 or more days. that should give you enough time to return one set or the other without having to actually pay for them. basically buy one set with cash or whatever, and put the other one on a card. once you figure out what you like best, return the other one and get your money back. if it happens to be the set you put on the credit card, use the cash from returning the other set to pay off the card prior to the due date. problem solved.
SandstormGT likes this.
post #185 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been thinking about these Prime speakers for a little while now since im starting a 5.1 system. However, I also like some of the others I've been considering.

I have a Denon x4100w AVR and the room is about 15X18X11 cathedral ceilings. Given my space, I need the speakers to be able to sit close to the wall if possible but not exactly right upon it.

Considering these for my front three...
Primes as listed on this thread.
KEF Q300 (L/R) w/ KEF Q600 Center
SIERRA-2 L/R w/ SIERRA-1 CENTER
SVS Ultra Bookshelfs w/ SVS Ultra Center
Ascend CMT-340 for LRC
Energy CF-50 Towers L/R w/ Energy RC-LCR Center
Chane A5rx-c L/R w/ Chane A2rx-c Center
EMP Tek
NHT

Anyone have any experience or preference with any of these? Will be doing movie/music 30/70%.

Any help appreciated.
post #186 of 1195 Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulasworm View Post
I've been thinking about these Prime speakers for a little while now since im starting a 5.1 system. However, I also like some of the others I've been considering.

I have a Denon x4100w AVR and the room is about 15X18X11 cathedral ceilings. Given my space, I need the speakers to be able to sit close to the wall if possible but not exactly right upon it.

Ascend CMT-340 for LRC
EMP Tek
NHT

Anyone have any experience or preference with any of these? Will be doing movie/music 30/70%.

Any help appreciated.
welcome to my world... may I add in the Triton 7's and Focal Aria 906's to your list to hear?
post #187 of 1195 Old 12-29-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Can anyone at SVS answer if they have any plans to produce a Dolby Atmos enabled add on module for the Prime series?
post #188 of 1195 Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 AM

I have a set of Prime Towers being shipped now along with a Prime center. I really wanted to go with an Ultra center but my cabinet is not large enough, I think I will be satisfied with the center. I am pairing these with dual PB-2000's. I haven't seen a whole lot of actual listener reviews on the Towers or center so I am eagerly awaiting the delivery. I look forward to posting my impressions, and reading anyone else's!
post #189 of 1195 Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Ok, so has anyone done the GE Triton 7/Prime Tower comparison yet, and if so, comments please?

I'm replacing my front LCR and am toggling between the two now - I've heard the Triton 7's and they sound quite good to my untrained ears, and seeing so much chatter about the Prime towers, including a couple of posters in this thread also asking about a comparison to the Triton 7's - I gotta think that comparison has been done by now.

Anyone?
post #190 of 1195 Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post
Can anyone at SVS answer if they have any plans to produce a Dolby Atmos enabled add on module for the Prime series?
Module? They do have a satellite speaker, pretty small, could be used for whatever.
post #191 of 1195 Old 01-04-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
Module? They do have a satellite speaker, pretty small, could be used for whatever.
I have considered that, I just haven't figured out how to angle them towards the ceiling. I am wondering about some kind of mounting bracket that might do it for me. I am almost ready to just install some in-ceiling speakers for Atmos, but have been trying to avoid that if at all possible, especially since this tech is still evolving, and once those holes are cut in my ceiling, they are always there. Maybe I'll hit up SVS in the morning and see if they have any ideas.
post #192 of 1195 Old 01-04-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

+1
Any satellite or bookshelf mounted with a speaker bracket at the proper angle on your ceiling should work

Ray
post #193 of 1195 Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtrac View Post
I have considered that, I just haven't figured out how to angle them towards the ceiling. I am wondering about some kind of mounting bracket that might do it for me. I am almost ready to just install some in-ceiling speakers for Atmos, but have been trying to avoid that if at all possible, especially since this tech is still evolving, and once those holes are cut in my ceiling, they are always there. Maybe I'll hit up SVS in the morning and see if they have any ideas.
Screw holes for a bracket could easily be fixed if plans change in the future. I'm looking at a similar setup, potentially. Not sure how I can pull it off with my 7' drop ceiling, though.
post #194 of 1195 Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Post Prime Tower & Center Review

Hi all. Audioholics have posted a typically detailed review (including measurements) of the Prime Tower and Center.

SVS Prime Tower and Center Loudspeaker Review

Good reading!
post #195 of 1195 Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had the Prime towers, center, and satellites since November. I'm enjoying them, but then again this is my first REAL set of speakers that wasn't included in a HTIB. I have them paired with a Denon X4000, and am currently auditioning both the PB-1000 and PB-2000 subs from SVS.

The first thing I noticed with these speakers was how much I had to dial up the volume, I'm no expert but I'm guessing that's due to the sensitivity rating on them. That being said I can play them loud without a hint of distortion and haven't felt like I've pushed them to the limit at all. They are very clear, much more so than the Paradigm Monitor 11's I was trying out in a local home theater store. I don't have a lot of choices locally to audition speakers, that played a big part in ordering from SVS with the return policy. I tried out the Paradigms, several Klipsch Reference models. The best way I can say it is that they are as detailed as the Klipsh without the "scratching my eardrums feeling" the Klispch gave me! The Paradigms were very bass heavy, at least how the store had them setup, and the salesman made it a point to tell me I "could get by without a subwoofer" with them. I felt the Paradigms had a complete lack of detail in the higher frequencies. The Primes I feel run right down the middle of those two brands I auditioned. I know that's not as technical as some people are looking for, I don't have a lot of experience with many different speaker brands. I do however have a lot of listening experience, having played guitar for most of my life I'm very sensitive to sound.

Another thing I took in to consideration was looks and build quality. I felt the Primes had the other brands easily beat there. If there is a complaint I have about them, I think they are lacking a bit in low end....but I figure a good sub takes care of that most of the time. I have contemplated upgrading to the Ultra's, but have talked to SVS about this and have been told there would be a "negligible" gain in mid and low frequencies....not exactly a big vote of confidence for spending quite a bit more money....but the Ultras do look cool!

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them.
Macadamianut likes this.
post #196 of 1195 Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Hi all. Audioholics have posted a typically detailed review (including measurements) of the Prime Tower and Center.

SVS Prime Tower and Center Loudspeaker Review

Good reading!

Thanks for posting the review from Audioholics

The only one thing I would disagree with in the cons is"Slightly forward tonal presence may be unforgiving on poor quality recordings"

"Forward tonal presence" is not for everyone, myself included, that said.
"may be unforgiving on poor quality recordings" for me it is a good sign of a well designed speakers as;
garbage in, garbage out!

Just my honest opinion

Ray
Flexnbig, SandstormGT and Matt2026 like this.
post #197 of 1195 Old 01-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

The only one thing I would disagree with in the cons is"Slightly forward tonal presence may be unforgiving on poor quality recordings"

"may be unforgiving on poor quality recordings" for me it is a good sign of a well designed speakers as;
garbage in, garbage out!

Just my honest opinion

Ray

I thought the same thing when I read that in the review....I have noticed flaws in recordings and also some bad sounding compressed rips to the computer I had done about 15 years ago when MP3's were new. I think it speaks to the detail the Primes bring when you can't hide that stuff.
darthray and Matt2026 like this.
post #198 of 1195 Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexnbig View Post
I've had the Prime towers, center, and satellites since November. I'm enjoying them, but then again this is my first REAL set of speakers that wasn't included in a HTIB. I have them paired with a Denon X4000, and am currently auditioning both the PB-1000 and PB-2000 subs from SVS.

The first thing I noticed with these speakers was how much I had to dial up the volume, I'm no expert but I'm guessing that's due to the sensitivity rating on them. That being said I can play them loud without a hint of distortion and haven't felt like I've pushed them to the limit at all. They are very clear, much more so than the Paradigm Monitor 11's I was trying out in a local home theater store. I don't have a lot of choices locally to audition speakers, that played a big part in ordering from SVS with the return policy. I tried out the Paradigms, several Klipsch Reference models. The best way I can say it is that they are as detailed as the Klipsh without the "scratching my eardrums feeling" the Klispch gave me! The Paradigms were very bass heavy, at least how the store had them setup, and the salesman made it a point to tell me I "could get by without a subwoofer" with them. I felt the Paradigms had a complete lack of detail in the higher frequencies. The Primes I feel run right down the middle of those two brands I auditioned. I know that's not as technical as some people are looking for, I don't have a lot of experience with many different speaker brands. I do however have a lot of listening experience, having played guitar for most of my life I'm very sensitive to sound.

Another thing I took in to consideration was looks and build quality. I felt the Primes had the other brands easily beat there. If there is a complaint I have about them, I think they are lacking a bit in low end....but I figure a good sub takes care of that most of the time. I have contemplated upgrading to the Ultra's, but have talked to SVS about this and have been told there would be a "negligible" gain in mid and low frequencies....not exactly a big vote of confidence for spending quite a bit more money....but the Ultras do look cool!

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them.
if that is truly the case then i feel ripped off. i mean why would you pay 800 dollars more for a negligible gain. Ed Mullen any comment on this? to bad the prime's were not out before my ultra purchase. this makes know since to me to have two product lines that are so close and similar in performance and that cost 40% more. either the ultra's were over priced to begin with(my thinking) or the prime's are worth more than their asking price.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
post #199 of 1195 Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulasworm View Post

Ascend CMT-340 for LRC
EMP Tek
NHT

Any help appreciated.

I have NHT Absolute Towers and the mid-level center (Two C) in a 3.1 setup. They play very neutral and have a really flat frequency response. For a true 3 way in a small profile, they are hard to beat, provided you use a sub. Mine are crossed over at 80 hz.. As I recall, Audioholics loved them (rated above the SVS Primes for mid and treble) . They also come standard with the piano gloss black that SVS charges extra for.

I was considering the Chane A5s for a different room but they are out of stock, so I ended up ordering Paradigm Monitor 9's due to the Center 1 being a 3-way that will fit my stand. SVS Primes were in the running on paper but more $$, esp. for the better finish.

Go Duke !

Last edited by Trackman; 01-05-2015 at 08:34 PM.
post #200 of 1195 Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
if that is truly the case then i feel ripped off. i mean why would you pay 800 dollars more for a negligible gain. Ed Mullen any comment on this? to bad the prime's were not out before my ultra purchase. this makes know since to me to have two product lines that are so close and similar in performance and that cost 40% more. either the ultra's were over priced to begin with(my thinking) or the prime's are worth more than their asking price.

Honestly, Why?

You paid more and getting a little % more for the sound
Yes, it would be nice, if they let us know of new products in advance for less that can do almost the same thing.

But in my honest opinion, and I mean real honest one.
You always get a little more by paying double, maybe 5-10% or even less comparing to other stuff (pre-amp, amps and such).

Enjoy your Ultra
I'm sure they are better for the money and if can afford-it the more power to you
And those who can't, enjoy your new speakers.

When I switch from a $2000 pre-amp to a $4000 one it was not night and day.
Just subtile difference, was it worth it in my mine? Yes!
$2000 difference depend of the person.

Hope this help a little

Ray
Matt2026 likes this.
post #201 of 1195 Old 01-06-2015, 07:46 PM

So I have an addendum to my original post...I've been working with SVS on properly setting up the PB-2000 sub, in doing so I've found a pretty big error I'd been making with configuring the Prime speakers. I've just completed my theater, finishing my basement, so not only is the room new, but the AVR is new along with the speakers. I've had a lot of variables I've been trying to deal with. My old Onkyo only allowed 3 positions for Audyssey setup, this Denon allows for 8. I was misunderstanding that and calculating after 3....furthermore, I've found that I've misunderstood Audyssey and the mic positions all together, and have been greatly helped by some diagrams I've found. That has made all the difference in the world. The problems with the sub are gone - and when switching to 2 channel, the small complaint I had about the low end of the Primes is dealt with as well! I really now have no complaints at all about the Primes. In fact, I told my wife tonight that I was going to finally break the boxes down that have been stacked in the garage as I was sure I was keeping them. Just wanted to share that because of my comment on the low frequencies before.
MerrlinT and Matt2026 like this.
post #202 of 1195 Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I have an addendum to my original post...I've been working with SVS on properly setting up the PB-2000 sub, in doing so I've found a pretty big error I'd been making with configuring the Prime speakers. I've just completed my theater, finishing my basement, so not only is the room new, but the AVR is new along with the speakers. I've had a lot of variables I've been trying to deal with. My old Onkyo only allowed 3 positions for Audyssey setup, this Denon allows for 8. I was misunderstanding that and calculating after 3....furthermore, I've found that I've misunderstood Audyssey and the mic positions all together, and have been greatly helped by some diagrams I've found. That has made all the difference in the world. The problems with the sub are gone - and when switching to 2 channel, the small complaint I had about the low end of the Primes is dealt with as well! I really now have no complaints at all about the Primes. In fact, I told my wife tonight that I was going to finally break the boxes down that have been stacked in the garage as I was sure I was keeping them. Just wanted to share that because of my comment on the low frequencies before.

Welcome to this Hobby

This is your worst enemy
Your quote " I've had a lot of variables I've been trying to deal with"

Once you deal with it, then move forward as Not much better, but a little.
( you spend double and get a 5% return at best, depending where your are in the food chain).

I will be VERY honest here!!!
I got One Hobby and this this it
So, I spend lots of money on it.

Your biggest thing is your room first, and half descent speakers and equipment second.
So if you have decent equipment and Do the right thing in your room, then your are OK

Then you can move on like cars or other hobby, depending of what you like!

Ray
post #203 of 1195 Old 01-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

garbage in, garbage out!

Just my honest opinion

Ray
It's the same With my SVS STS-01s. With low quality recordings or ditto MP3s/flacs they can get harsh when I crank up the colume. On good quality Sources the play plenty loud With no strain to the ears. But mine really like Power. They open up more when I play above background Levels and they can take a pounding. I used Rotel RMB-1575 for a while and this combination was awesome. Hoping I can replace the XTZ-amp With a Rotel D again soon.
darthray likes this.
post #204 of 1195 Old 01-07-2015, 02:18 PM

You know that feeling of, "why didn't I do this before?". That's what I'm going through right now. I have hooked up my Prime Towers, center, and PB-2000 and it feels like I am listening to recordings that I've heard hundreds of times...for the first time. The only piece I am still waiting on is another PB-2000 for my dual sub set-up. I have to say the Towers are what are blowing me away though. I was using some Polk T90e's, and I didn't think they were classified in the "poor" category, but I now realize they weren't even in the same category as the new Prime's.

+1 what was said earlier about running Audysey, I don't know how you can listen to anything without properly calibrating your room. I am in the middle of some upgrades on my HT, including placing some acoustic panels up, this has certainly been a fun ride!
darthray and Matt2026 like this.
post #205 of 1195 Old 01-07-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought the same thing when I read that in the review....I have noticed flaws in recordings and also some bad sounding compressed rips to the computer I had done about 15 years ago when MP3's were new. I think it speaks to the detail the Primes bring when you can't hide that stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
It's the same With my SVS STS-01s. With low quality recordings or ditto MP3s/flacs they can get harsh when I crank up the colume. On good quality Sources the play plenty loud With no strain to the ears. But mine really like Power. They open up more when I play above background Levels and they can take a pounding. I used Rotel RMB-1575 for a while and this combination was awesome. Hoping I can replace the XTZ-amp With a Rotel D again soon.

LOL
In one other tread, I cannot remember wish one, I was told that it is impossible to hear a difference on an MP3 disk.
I said that I prefer to rip a disk without compression over MP3.
I was almost told that I was full of it
I could not make my case as compression is compression, no matter what

So you two are welcome to my club, some people do not believe that garbage in is garbage on a well design speaker using descent drivers

Thanks for the replies.

Ray
Gurba likes this.
post #206 of 1195 Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 PM

That's funny Ray , if you come across that thread point me in the direction. I can't imagine people not hearing the difference, and then to the earlier point thinking maybe a "better" speaker would make it go away!
darthray likes this.
post #207 of 1195 Old 01-07-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's funny Ray , if you come across that thread point me in the direction. I can't imagine people not hearing the difference, and then to the earlier point thinking maybe a "better" speaker would make it go away!

I will

Ray
post #208 of 1195 Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I will

Ray

As I said, I had to go back 15 pages

Here's the tread;
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...sed-music.html

GOOD LUCK

Ray
post #209 of 1195 Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Saw a review was finally posted about the 5.1 satellite system... http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-system-review

Seems like they liked the system quite a bit.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #210 of 1195 Old 01-09-2015, 07:26 AM

So is anyone using Prime bookshelves for their surrounds? I am currently using Polk tsi100's and feel they are adequate, but I recently ordered 2 pair of Prime satellites to incorporate into my system as the Atmos modules and I am now contemplating replacing the Polks with either the Prime bookshelves or the Satellites. Any comparisons would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page