Should I pull the trigger on KEF Reference One? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Should I pull the trigger on KEF Reference One?

I had an opportunity to demo the KEF Reference One speakers. In a word - Magnificent!!!

I have been looking for a bookshelf speaker with a small footprint and these speakers delivered. The sound stage was wide and the speakers were articulate. The dynamics were huge and the overall sound and build quality were outstanding. Each speaker weighs in at over 40 pounds.

So what am I waiting for?

The speakers don't come cheap with an MSRP of $7500 a pair. They are just coming to market and none of the normal hif fi reviewers have had a chance to review the speakers let alone write about them. The most important factor is how the speakers sound to me and to me they sound great. However, I would be greatly disappoined to find out in six months that the rest of the world has a more dim view of these speakers.

I will be using these speakers in a 5.1 setting with Reference One for LR duties and the Reference 2c for center channel duties. I will be using LS 50 for surround duties.

Has anyone had a chance to hear these speakers first hand or to hear from someone else who has listended to these speakers? What are your impressions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 212
The new reference monitors have some tough shoes to fill. The 201/2 was about as good as they come.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've seen them as well.
My only complant is the price.. For that kind of cash, I'd buy the Joseph Pulsars- at least you get some style to go with your substance.
I wouldn't worry about reviews. If they sound great to you, they are great.
Offer 6k, see what they say
Cheers, Mac

Last edited by macddmac; 10-12-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner66 View Post
I had an opportunity to demo the KEF Reference One speakers. In a word - Magnificent!!!

I have been looking for a bookshelf speaker with a small footprint and these speakers delivered. The sound stage was wide and the speakers were articulate. The dynamics were huge and the overall sound and build quality were outstanding. Each speaker weighs in at over 40 pounds.

So what am I waiting for?

The speakers don't come cheap with an MSRP of $7500 a pair. They are just coming to market and none of the normal hif fi reviewers have had a chance to review the speakers let alone write about them. The most important factor is how the speakers sound to me and to me they sound great. However, I would be greatly disappoined to find out in six months that the rest of the world has a more dim view of these speakers.

I will be using these speakers in a 5.1 setting with Reference One for LR duties and the Reference 2c for center channel duties. I will be using LS 50 for surround duties.

Has anyone had a chance to hear these speakers first hand or to hear from someone else who has listended to these speakers? What are your impressions?

Thanks

My advice is get the same front 3. Exact match. I would also recommend the sorriunds the same but for 6 grand difference, I'd get the kef ls50s too.

Not sure if its the blades or the reference but it looks like KEF invested 1 million dollars in 3 years to make these speakers. Should be great. I also like the weight on these..

Check out the Dynaudio c1 signature MK2 before purchasing just so that you don't regret. Very nice speakers with very sweet treble.

Now, I want to hear these speakers too. Gotta find some local kef dealers. I'm looking for a new pair myself

Last edited by NAIM101; 10-10-2014 at 11:04 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post
My advice is get the same front 3. Exact match. I would also recommend the sorriunds the same but for 6 grand difference, I'd get the kef ls50s too.
I understand that KEF will not sell individual Reference Ones. They may come around and sell individual speakers but not any time soon. The MSRP on Reference Twoc are about $5000 so KEF is biased not to change their policy any time soon.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner66
The most important factor is how the speakers sound to me and to me they sound great. However, I would be greatly disappoined to find out in six months that the rest of the world has a more dim view of these speakers.
So what? If they sound great to you, that's all that matters. If you can stomach the price, go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page