Help: Not how much SHOULD you pay; what DID you pay? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #1 of 202 Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Help: Not how much SHOULD you pay; what DID you pay?

First let's not turn this into another wire and cable discussion.

There are plenty of people who will tell you what you SHOULD pay for Wire and Cable, but I'm interested in what you DID pay.

Give us a general description of your main audio system. We don't necessarily need details, something like this will be fine -

$500 = Turntable
$500 = BluRay/CD/SACD Player
$500 = Stereo Amp
$1000 = Speakers (pair)
--------------------------------
$2500 = Total

You could give us a very general description, whether it is stereo or surround, but the precise details aren't important.

Then total up the ACTUAL cost of the Wires and Cable attached to that system. Not what you think you should pay, not what you wish you had paid, but what you actually did pay for all the Cable and Wire.

If you have an odd or unusual system, as I do, try to condense it down to the least complicated version.

The numbers above describe my system at its most basic. But in reality it is a turntable, two media players, two amps, and four speakers. I condense what is essentially two systems down into one main system. Just to keep things fair and balanced.

The goal is to see how much Wire and Cable cost relative to the overall cost of the system.

On my $2500 stereo, I have $109 in wire and cable as shown here -

I have RCAx2, I have Opticax1, I have HDMIx1, I have two 8ft 12ga twin lead speaker wires with Banana Plugs at about $12 for the each.

$40 to $50 for the RCA(x2)
$20 for the Optical
$25 for the HDMI
$24 for Speakers
------------------------
$109 = Total

So, $2500 system with $109 in wire and cable, or about 4.4% of the cost of the system.

The motivation for this comes on pages #5 and #6 of this discussion.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...nk-they-5.html

So, the goal is to rather than deal in hypothetical guidelines, let's see how much people really spend on Wire and Cable.

It doesn't matter if you spend a little or a lot, or if you are in the middle ground, all data serves the end. That end being getting a sense of what people typically spend relative to the cost of their system.

What you ACTUALLY spend on Wire and Cable relative to the cost of your systems.

Thanks to all who choose to participate.

EDITED: (March 27, 2016)

This is the format I'm looking for -

System Component List -

Item 1 = $$$
Item 2 = $$$
---------------------
Total = $$$$

Wire and Cable List -

Item 1 = $$$
Item 2 = $$$
-----------------------
Total = $$$$

Cable Total / System Total = Percentage

Though if you want to summarize -

Total System Cost = $$$$

Total Wire and Cable Cost = $$$$$

Cable Total / System Total = Percentage

Again, I want to thank the many people who participated on topic.

2% to 4%
seems to be the most common.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 03-27-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 202 Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I can start. Just for FYI, if you were to discuss this in another forum geared more towards 2.0 system, results would be different I assume.

All price retail.

100.00 - Bluray player
1,000.00 - Turntable
2,399.00 - DAC
1,900.00 - Integrated Amp
4,000.00 - Speakers
700.00 - All cables including

So I spent about 6.9% on cabling from my 10k stereo 2.0 system suited for Music and occasional HT.
post #3 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 803
I have around $7k msrp (didn't pay msrp of course ) in components, speakers, subs, amps, source devices and display. I have around $100 in various cables, wire and interconnects. It wouldnt matter if i had $70k or $700k in my hardware, i would still have around the same $100 in cables. there is no reasonable argument beyond aesthetics to spend stupid money on wire, and even at that there are many many many pretty cable options that dont cost stupid money. there is no "percentage equation" of hardware vs wire costs that makes any sense to me. Just buy cable, wires etc that works and are of the required length and type beyond that everything else is just plain silly.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

67jason -

Yes, my system cost less, though rather than Retail, I used common selling prices.

Not challenging you, but how can you have a $7,000 system with only $100 in ALL CABLE and WIRE including the cost of any speaker wire terminations like Spades or Banana Plugs?

That's why I would like a rough list of your equipment and cables. That seems like a low estimate. What cable and wire do you have, and I don't mean brand, just two RCA cables, one optical cable, two speaker wires, and so forth?

From the sound of it (display, sub, etc...), it sounds like an AV Surround system, which makes $100 seem even less likely. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Again, the numbers are what they are, but let's make sure they are accurate.

I'm not saying you are wrong either in your numbers or philosophy, just not sure I understand how those numbers can be right.

This is not about, how much or how little, just what you spent, and if those are your true number (please actually add them up), then those are your numbers.

100/7000 = 1.4%

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 10-17-2014 at 04:22 AM.
post #5 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Well I just sold my mains and are waiting for their replacements, but my previous system at MSRP:

$12,000 Speakers
$1,300 AVR
$1,000 TV
$300 PS3
$100 AppleTV
$500 HTPC
$10 Turntable (from a garage sale, no clue it's value but it's cheap)

$15,210 total

$60ish in cables. Have the 12 gauge speaker wire from monoprice, no banana plugs or anything, and some monoprice HDMI cables.

So 60/15210= 0.3%
post #6 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
67jason -

Yes, my system cost less, though rather than Retail, I used common selling prices.

Not challenging you, but how can you have a $7,000 system with only $100 in ALL CABLE and WIRE including the cost of any speaker wire terminations like Spades or Banana Plugs?

That's why I would like a rough list of your equipment and cables. That seems like a low estimate. What cable and wire do you have, and I don't mean brand, just two RCA cables, one optical cable, two speaker wires, and so forth?

From the sound of it (display, sub, etc...), it sounds like an AV Surround system, which makes $100 seem even less likely. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Again, the numbers are what they are, but let's make sure they are accurate.

I'm not saying you are wrong either in your numbers or philosophy, just not sure I understand how those numbers can be right.

This is not about, how much or how little, just what you spent, and if those are your true number (please actually add them up), then those are your numbers.

100/7000 = 1.4%

Steve/bluewizard
its cool if you dont believe me. purchased in bulk (speaker wire) and on sale (a few hdmi's and rca interconnects for amps and subs). I use the cheap stuff. it works, and seriously only cost about $100 in cables. I buy in bulk and on sale and used. you'd be amazed how cheap 1 meter hdmi cables can be found for.

5.1 set up w/ 2 subs. avr, 2 amps, universal shiny disc player, satellite receiver and ps3 and tv. for some reason i can keep the rough msrp cost in my head, but totaling up what I actually paid never stays with me...lol. I probably have about $4500- of actual gear cost. the most expensive being my display followed by my 2 amps then speakers and subs then avr (used as a prepro) then disc player then video game console.

post #7 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
I paid ~$14,500 for the various A/V components currently in my HT system, including:
- AVR;
- power and sub amps;
- 5.4 speakers/subs;
- 1080p PJ + screen;
- BD and DVD players; and
- 19" monitor.

The total cost of wire, cables and connectors currently in use is ~$350, for a ratio of ~2.4%.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 10-17-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #8 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

post #9 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

67jason -

If it is $100, then it is a $100. It is not a question of believing, just making sure.

So -

67jason = 1.4%

Steve/bluewizard
post #10 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
lol...i do!

look what right about $100 can get you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mono.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	316418  

post #11 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly no need to even look for sale prices. Monoprice FTW!
No one cares what you can pay, only what you did pay.

If you would care to provides us with the details on your system, feel free ... otherwise no need to post.

Steve/bluewizard
post #12 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I just sold my mains and are waiting for their replacements, but my previous system at MSRP:

$12,000 Speakers
$1,300 AVR
$1,000 TV
$300 PS3
$100 AppleTV
$500 HTPC

$15,210 total

$60ish in cables. Have the 12 gauge speaker wire from monoprice, no banana plugs or anything, and some monoprice HDMI cables.

So 60/15210= 0.3%
Quote:
No one cares what you can pay, only what you did pay.

If you would care to provides us with the details on your system, feel free ... otherwise no need to post.

Steve/bluewizard

post #13 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Not including HT seats, nor building the room, the gear cost around 13.5 K$, of which $200 or $300 are in wires and cables (AV rack in back of room, so long runs of speaker wires, HDMI and toslink between TV and receiver). But I have drawer fulls of cables I no longer use (pre-HDMI stuff, including toslink, coax, component, RCA, S-Video).

So max of 2.2 %

Last edited by psgcdn; 10-17-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #14 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 164
A more interesting thread than I thought it would be. Good points, but ...

I hate to buy mediocre quality tools. I don't even try to justify it by the fact that good tools last for decades, or centuries, and it costs less in the end. It's because I enjoy working with them, it's a pleasure. Lousy tools make the work a chore. It's worth it to me just because it makes me happy.

Similarly, if it makes someone happy to get cables that look good, or have better build quality ... nothing wrong with that. (As apart from trying to convince people, especially newbies, that it makes a difference in the sound.) Maybe it's obvious, but that's not always clear from the discussions here.

BTW, I saw the photos of Dr. Hsu's really cheap interconnects. While I appreciate the sentiment, I think Dr. Hsu should think a little bit more about why people listen to music. It's not - for the vast majority of people - to appreciate the engineering of the gear, or even the recording. There's a non-rational, sensual, fun aspect to it. It's a shame not to present the product of all his hard work - his speakers and subs - in a way that makes them as appealing as they can be. Put the gear on stands, buy some reasonably attractive cables.

Anyone who's honest would admit that part of what people want in speakers, amps, etc are products that not only work well technically, but are thoughtfully designed in terms of the interface; and that look good. So presumably if someone wants to spend a few or several hundred dollars to get cables for a medium to high end system, knowing that they're not doing it for sound quality, I assume no one here would argue against that.

Obviously for a budget system cables are not the place to spend money, and there are inexpensive, well made, attractive wires and cables available.

BTW, I don't see it mentioned much anymore, but car audio speaker wire comes in colors. It costs a little more, but if you're looking for black, or a color, that's a way to find it.
BacHolz likes this.
post #15 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
0%. When I have needed cables that were not included in the box for, say, speakers I have always let the salesman throw in a set from the reel out the back as part of negotiating down the price. When the last local audio shop disappears I hope to have enough cabling knocking around not to need to purchase any.
post #16 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Room 1:
$285 = AVR
$68 = BluRay/CD/SACD Player
$300 = L/R speakers (used)
$100 = center speaker (used)
$130 = rear speakers (clearance)
$900 = 2 subwoofers
$1783 = Total

Damn I sound cheap. Well, yes I am. But also I'm a pretty good shopper. The speakers are Phase Tech Teatro 7.5 VDT, Teatro 6.5 center and Teatro 4.5 rears. The subs are Sunfire True Super Juniors. I can't hear a difference in electronics, so I don't spend money on them.

$16 100-foot spool 12-gauge speaker wire. $20 for subwoofer cables. So 2.0% of system cost.

I use an optical cable for sound, but I thought the discussion was about speaker wire. Regardless, $6 for that.

Room 2:
$90 = AVR (used)
$68 = BluRay/CD/SACD Player
$450 = LCR speakers
$300 = rear speakers
$180 = sub (used)
$1088 = Total

These are Mirage OMD-5s all around with a Phase Tech Power 8 sub.

Used leftover from a 10-year-old $12 spool for rears. Bought 3 sets of 15 ft Monster pre-mades off ebay from a company going out of business for $5/ea plus shipping. $10 for subwoofer cable. Call it $35 ... 3.2% of system cost.

Room 3:
$160 = AVR (used)
$125 = BluRay/CD/SACD Player
$300 = LCR speakers (clearance)
$140 = sub (used)
$725 = Total

These are JBL LSR2325 powered speakers, so I bought four Mediabridge cables at $10/ea. So $40 ... or 5.5%.

So, looks like an average of about 3% overall. If I wasn't so cheap, with all these used and clearance purchases, or I developed a severe case of speaker lust, it would be a lot less because I'd still use the same cable.

Last edited by SmittyJS; 10-18-2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Math error
post #17 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
First let's not turn this into another wire and cable discussion.

There are plenty of people who will tell you what you SHOULD pay for Wire and Cable, but I'm interested in what you DID pay.

Give us a general description of your main audio system. We don't necessarily need details, something like this will be fine -

$500 = Turntable
$500 = BluRay/CD/SACD Player
$500 = Stereo Amp
$1000 = Speakers (pair)
$2500 = Total

You could give us a very general description, whether it is stereo or surround, but the precise details aren't important.

Then total up the ACTUAL cost of the Wires and Cable attached to that system. Not what you think you should pay, not what you wish you had paid, but what you actually did pay for all the Cable and Wire.

If you have an odd or unusual system, as I do, try to condense it down to the least complicated version.

The numbers above describe my system at its most basic. But in reality it is a turntable, two media players, two amps, and four speakers. I condense what is essentially two systems down into one main system. Just to keep things fair and balanced.

The goal is to see how much Wire and Cable cost relative to the overall cost of the system.

On my $2500 stereo, I have $109 in wire and cable as shown here -

I have RCAx2, I have Opticax1, I have HDMIx1, I have two 8ft 12ga twin lead speaker wires with Banana Plugs at about $12 for the each.

$40 to $50 for the RCA(x2)
$20 for the Optical
$25 for the HDMI
$24 for Speakers
------------------------
$109 = Total

So, $2500 system with $109 in wire and cable, or about 4.4% of the cost of the system.

The motivation for this comes on pages #5 and #6 of this discussion.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...nk-they-5.html

So, the goal is to rather than deal in hypothetical guidelines, let's see how much people really spend on Wire and Cable.

It doesn't matter if you spend a little or a lot, or if you are in the middle ground, all data serves the end. That end being getting a sense of what people typically spend relative to the cost of their system.

Thanks to all who choose to participate.

Steve/bluewizard
Spent $6150 incl tv & $120 on cables & about to spend another $1400 to replace the tv ugh even tho it's not quite 3 yrs old!

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004;
Orbit TT Red Plinth, Acrylic Platter, Ortofon OM 5E Cartridge
post #18 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Speakers/subs-$7000
AVR-$900
Power Amp-$750
HTPC-$900
Blu Ray-$250
Music server-$400

Wires/cables-$125

Used a lot of recycled wire. Most money
Was spent on them new HDMI thingys.
post #19 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Speakers (5.1): $700 (35%)
TV: $800 (40%)
AVR: $300 (15%)
Roku: $80 (4%)
DVD: $70 (3.5%)
Cable: $50 (2.5%)
----------------------
Total = $2000 (100%)
post #20 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
I revamped my audio system 4 years ago, but several pieces of equipment are from the late 70s (and yes, they all work splendidly and I still have the sales receipts on most of them). I have two systems (2.1 and 3.1) running today. Cost of equipment is a little over 20 grand. Cables? I have a big box of cables dating back to the late 60's. Cost of new cables and new speaker wire (yes, I searched my Amazon buying history the past 4 years because you made me curious) is around $150. That works out to 0.75% for the cables. As far as banana plugs and spade lugs, they were audioquest and were given to me by the dealer I purchased my speakers through (although I did buy another set of far less expensive banana plugs for future use when I take that 3.1 system to a 5.1, and is included in my cost).

Last edited by dsrussell; 10-17-2014 at 12:08 PM.
post #21 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_ View Post
0%. When I have needed cables that were not included in the box for, say, speakers I have always let the salesman throw in a set ...
There are always going to be exceptions.

But, it is about the VALUE of your Cable and Wire relative to the VALUE of you System.

Common sense says that this is not always something that is easy to determine. But do the best you can.

Steve/bluewizard
post #22 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
... Cost of equipment is a little over 20 grand. Cables?...Cost of new cables and new speaker wire.... is around $150. That works out to 0.75% for the cables. ...

Perhaps I mistated myself. For a normal person to ask for the Cost of the Wire and Cable compared to the Cost of the System, seems like the right question to ask, but clearly that is too limiting a question.

So, what is the VALUE of your Cable and Wire relative the VALUE of your System?

You mentioned Audioquest cables, while they do have affordable cable, even their most affordable is not quite cheap.

I would guess one Audioquest cable is minimum $40, and yet you claim a total of$150 for a $20,000 system. It's possible, but I would like to see it laid out.

I'm not asking of tricks or exception, but a fair estimate of the value of Cable relative to the System.

Steve/bluewizard
post #23 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

$12,000 Speakers
$1,300 AVR
$1,000 TV
$300 PS3
$100 AppleTV
$500 HTPC

$15,210 total

$60ish in cables. Have the 12 gauge speaker wire ...and some monoprice HDMI cables.

So 60/15210= 0.3%
I think some people are trying to game the system; that is ... skew the results.

You listed 6 piece of equipment that require at least one wire or cable, are you saying you wired all that equipment together for less than $10 per cable?

If those are your numbers, then those are your numbers, but I find it hard to believe you can wire that many components together for $60 unless you are by chance shopping at the Dollar Store.

12ga Monoprice speaker wire is $30 for 100ft.

Monoprice HDMI cable can be purchased for less than $5, but did you actually put $2 HDMI on your system?

The PS3 takes a proprietary cable, hard to believe you got that for less than $10. Though I imagine it is certainly possible.

It seem you would need at least a couple RCA cables, true you can buy these for under $5, but are those really the cable you use?

I would have assumed I had about $50 in cable and wire, until I actually added it up, and it came to $109.

If $60 is your number than that is your number, but I would like to see it laid out in detail. I think you might be surprised at the result.

Steve/bluewzard

Last edited by bluewizard; 10-17-2014 at 12:40 PM.
post #24 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.sargent.775 View Post
----------------------
Total = $2000 (100%)
I appreciate you effort to help, but you really haven't helped at all.

Is $2000 your equipment cost or your wire cost?

So does (5.1): $700 (35%) mean your speakers cost $700 and the wires is 35% of $700 which is $245?

The format is simple -

$ = equipment total
$= cable and wire total

$cable+wire / $equipment = %

$2500 = System Cost
$_109 = Cable and Wire Cost

$109/$2500 = 0.044 = 4.4%

If you can explain what you intended, we can certainly work that out, but I'm not sure what to make of what you are telling us.

I do really appreciate your effort to help the discussion, but I have to be able to interpret the results.

Give us a clarification, and I think we can re-arrange the data to give more helpful numbers.

Thanks again for taking part.

Steve/bluewizard
post #25 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think some people are trying to game the system; that is ... skew the results.

You listed 6 piece of equipment that require at least one wire or cable, are you saying you wired all that equipment together for less than $10 per cable?

If those are your numbers, then those are your numbers, but I find it hard to believe you can wire that many components together for $60 unless you are by chance shopping at the Dollar Store.

12ga Monoprice speaker wire is $30 for 100ft.

Monoprice HDMI cable can be purchased for less than $5, but did you actually put $2 HDMI on your system?

The PS3 takes a proprietary cable, hard to believe you got that for less than $10. Though I imagine it is certainly possible.

It seem you would need at least a couple RCA cables, true you can buy these for under $5, but are those really the cable you use?

I would have assumed I had about $50 in cable and wire, until I actually added it up, and it came to $109.

If $60 is your number than that is your number, but I would like to see it laid out in detail. I think you might be surprised at the result.

Steve/bluewzard
Yes, I spend less than $10 per cable. I do actually put the cheapest HDMI I can find in my system, not sure what you mean about a proprietary cable since the PS3 takes a standard HDMI cable...., no rca cables as the only thing I have that uses RCA is my turntable which being a cheap one has them permanently attached, comcast installer gave me an HDMI for the box. There is very very little needed to set up a system.

Here's what I have:

$30 - 4 6' monoprice High-speed HDMI cables + 1 free for cable box (avr to TV, appleTV to AVR, ps3 to AVR, HTPC to AVR, cable box to AVR)
$15 - 12ga monoprice speaker wire 50ft

Total: $45

So if anything, I may have over-estimated. If people are including surge protectors I spent $50 on a closeout monster MDP1800 power center

Last edited by simp1yamazn; 10-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #26 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
It is do-able. I've picked up plenty of $2 HDMI cables shipped from various deals posted on another deal site through the years. That being said, I think some aren't counting what they already had or were able to scavenge, but that might be because the title says how much did you pay, not how much are cables in your system worth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
post #27 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Perhaps I mistated myself. For a normal person to ask for the Cost of the Wire and Cable compared to the Cost of the System, seems like the right question to ask, but clearly that is too limiting a question.

So, what is the VALUE of your Cable and Wire relative the VALUE of your System?

You mentioned Audioquest cables, while they do have affordable cable, even their most affordable is not quite cheap.

I would guess one Audioquest cable is minimum $40, and yet you claim a total of$150 for a $20,000 system. It's possible, but I would like to see it laid out.

I'm not asking of tricks or exception, but a fair estimate of the value of Cable relative to the System.

Steve/bluewizard
You are changing the parameters of your thread to suit your beliefs. Like many people, they have a boat load of cables. One doesn't buy a cable then throw it away. So now you want the value of those cables today. Gee, what is the fair replacement value of my $1,200 amplifier that is over 36 years old? Well, I can sell it for over $1,600, but to replace it, it would cost $5,500 to $7,500. Do I add that value? What about my 30 plus year-old turntable and tuner? Since my dbx 3BX is irreplaceable (they don't make them any longer), what value do I give that today? What would all my equipment cost today for something of comparable value? You see where this is going, right? Instead of over 20 grand in audio components, I could be at 30 grand by today's dollars. Do I add today's value for all my yesterday's purchases? So if you want me to go with cable value today, I would need to go with equipment value today. And people get freebies when buying expensive equipment all the time. If I didn't receive them, I wouldn't buy them (or buy something that made sense, and audioquest or equivalent doesn't make sense to me). The bottom line just won't change much, because the cost of all my cables, even in today's dollars, would only be a minute fraction more than I already stated (and I tried to give you what I've spent the last 4 years, but I guess that isn't good enough).
post #28 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
It is do-able. I've picked up plenty of $2 HDMI cables shipped from various deals posted on another deal site through the years. That being said, I think some aren't counting what they already had or were able to scavenge, but that might be because the title says how much did you pay, not how much are cables in your system worth.
I started from scratch as I've only been buying gear for the last 4 years so I really didn't have anything to reuse. I have a few random RCA cable lying around but again, I don't have any gear that uses them.
post #29 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.sargent.775 View Post
----------------------
Total = $2000 (100%)
Quote:
I appreciate you effort to help, but you really haven't helped at all.

Is $2000 your equipment cost or your wire cost?

So does (5.1): $700 (35%) mean your speakers cost $700 and the wires is 35% of $700 which is $245?
His speakers were $700 or 35% of the total. His cables and wires were $50, so 2.5% of the total.
bluewizard likes this.

post #30 of 202 Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Let me apologies for seeming to challenge everyone's numbers, but I can't help but be a little suspicious of the sincerity of your post when you list SEVEN piece of equipment with a total value of over $15,000 and try to convince me it only took $60 to interconnect them. That seems a stretch.

Equally, as many others do, I have all kinds of wire and cable laying around that I've collected over the years, but that wire and cable still have value. It still cost something.

So let me re-frame this. I need -

The Value of your Cable and Wire relative to the Value of your System.

Now, if you make a fair and honest assessment, and the numbers come out genuinely low, then the numbers are what the number are. But I would have to go to extreme length to interconnect 7 piece of any quality audio equipment for $60. I'm not saying it is impossible, just difficult.

In my system, I tired to play fair. I listed the realistic value of my equipment, not what I paid. Then I went through my cables one by one and determined the value of each of them. Then I posted the Total for Each, and calculated the Percent for Wire and Cable.

When I ballparked it, I undervalued the cost of Wire and Cable. I was surprised at my total. But I made the effort to determine the real itemized value. Don't ballpark it; itemize it, if not in your post, then at least in your mind.

I know I can get long winded, but it seems the format I'm looking for is very straight forward.

$ = equipment total
$= cable and wire total

$cable+wire / $equipment = %

$2500 = System Cost
$_109 = Cable and Wire Cost

$109/$2500 = 0.044 = 4.4%

I would prefer to see it itemized as I did in my original post, but the totals are all that is really necessary.

I genuinely do appreciate anyone and everyone who participates in this survey. And if you confirm that your number are truly right, I will accept them without question. But some of the systems and numbers I think anyone will find hard to believe.

If you have a middle of the road system, then the totals and percent are all that are necessary.

But if you have a $15,000 or $20,000 system and miraculously low cable and wire prices, that is reasonably going to require some details ...some degree of explanation ...some degree of itemization.

Again, I accept your numbers, if you can justify them and confirm them. But when the numbers are extremely divergent, I think everyone is going to have some doubt.

Without going for the cheapest of the cheap, I'm not sure I could connect an 7 piece of any audio equipment for $60 much less a 7 piece Surround Sound system with the entire speaker system counting as 1 piece.

Thank you to all who participate. I don't mean to challenge everyone, but if you system is extremely out of proportion one can not help but wonder.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page