JBL 705i/708i (7 Series Master Reference Monitors) & 725G/728G (subwoofers): Jan 2015 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 3084 Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Thanks. Yeah, this is a tough call. I'm generally one to go on the overkill side of things when it comes to my audio and the 705 is in the "just enough" category so I'm having a hard time committing .

All I can tell you is that I sat down at the start of the demo and within 15 seconds of listening my wife looked at me and said "uh oh, your face is showing that buyers remorse look I know all too well".
DotJun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 3084 Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,776
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
All I can tell you is that I sat down at the start of the demo and within 15 seconds of listening my wife looked at me and said "uh oh, your face is showing that buyers remorse look I know all too well".
Buyers remorse? Sorry, I can't remember your whole system. I know you've got the OS , but what is the buyers remorse?

I'm thinking of just putting 6 of the 705's in an Atmos 5.2.4 configuration along with the M2's and forgetting about it. I'm thinking you might be saying that would probably be a good thing?

Last edited by Gooddoc; 06-01-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #93 of 3084 Old 06-01-2015, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Buyers remorse? Sorry, I can't remember your whole system. I know you've got the OS , but what is the buyers remorse?

I'm thinking of just putting 6 of the 705's in an Atmos 5.2.4 configuration along with the M2's and forgetting about it. I'm thinking you might be saying that would probably a good thing?

Gah! Damn you and your m2s! Every time I even think of getting more gear my wife ends up reminding me of how she NEEDS a new escalade!
Mikenificent1 and Gooddoc like this.
DotJun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 3084 Old 06-01-2015, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,454
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Gah! Damn you and your m2s! Every time I even think of getting more gear my wife ends up reminding me of how she NEEDS a new escalade!
An Escalade is a luxury item...M2s are a %^$&#* necessity...what doesn't she get!!!!!
Frohlich is offline  
post #95 of 3084 Old 06-01-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,776
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Gah! Damn you and your m2s! Every time I even think of getting more gear my wife ends up reminding me of how she NEEDS a new escalade!
Don't think - Do. . Added: But also you might not even like the M2's, not everyone does. So don't sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
An Escalade is a luxury item...M2s are a %^$&#* necessity...what doesn't she get!!!!!
Haha! So true...

Last edited by Gooddoc; 06-01-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #96 of 3084 Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Don't think - Do. . Added: But also you might not even like the M2's, not everyone does. So don't sweat it.



Haha! So true...

Yea, it was unfortunate or maybe fortunate that the m2 was taken offline to show off the 705i by the time I got to jbl
DotJun is offline  
post #97 of 3084 Old 06-03-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,776
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Yea, it was unfortunate or maybe fortunate that the m2 was taken offline to show off the 705i by the time I got to jbl
I think you probably got at least a close fascimile of the M2 with the 705's, at least from a pure SQ standpoint. But judging a speaker at a show is absurd. It takes a lot of listening to truly judge a speaker, particularly a very accurate one. The more accurate, the more chameleon like a speaker becomes, and you end up judging the unique recording attributes more than the speaker. The less accurate a speaker and you hear more of the the unique speaker attributes, not the unique recording attributes.
John Schuermann likes this.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #98 of 3084 Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I think you probably got at least a close fascimile of the M2 with the 705's, at least from a pure SQ standpoint. But judging a speaker at a show is absurd. It takes a lot of listening to truly judge a speaker, particularly a very accurate one. The more accurate, the more chameleon like a speaker becomes, and you end up judging the unique recording attributes more than the speaker. The less accurate a speaker and you hear more of the the unique speaker attributes, not the unique recording attributes.
What day do your 708i's arrive? I am eagerly awaiting your impressions
Chipless is offline  
post #99 of 3084 Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,776
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
What day do your 708i's arrive? I am eagerly awaiting your impressions
They told me two weeks last week. I can't wait either. I currently have no surrounds at all.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #100 of 3084 Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
syswei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FL & CT
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seems the 705i is limited in SPL because of the 5" mid/bass driver. But the 708i is limited in dispersion in the upper midrange because of the 8" mid/bass. So I really hope JBL eventually introduces a 3-way with the 7-series technologies. Something along the lines of the LSR6332, which has a 5" mid and a 12" woofer. Or maybe something with a 5" mid and dual 8" woofers.
syswei is offline  
post #101 of 3084 Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,776
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
I dont think JBL has released anechoic measurements for these yet. That should tell is where the deficits are.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #102 of 3084 Old 06-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Zzzzz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
These were initially supposed to release in January. So clearly there is some issue, whether it's supply chain or design change issues is impossible to know. But clearly there's more to it than an unanticipated demand issues. I just hope they have it all figured out at this point .
Did you ever find out what the issue was? Even with already owning M2s, hopefully you're at least a little excited to be getting these soon
Zzzzz... is offline  
post #103 of 3084 Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,776
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
Did you ever find out what the issue was? Even with already owning M2s, hopefully you're at least a little excited to be getting these soon
You mean what the issue IS . They still haven't shipped yet. This is getting a bit ridiculous. I'm starting to wonder if JBL and Vapor Audio merged...
Chipless and NWCgrad like this.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #104 of 3084 Old 06-20-2015, 05:42 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I dont think JBL has released anechoic measurements for these yet. That should tell is where the deficits are.
I saw a chart posted and discussed in one of the YouTube videos. It was either the Jbl pro videos about how they are designed and measured, or the home theater geeks episode with the two senior designers.

Charts looked awesome.

But they spent a decent amount of time explaining how the charts are not as useful as their listening window data - which also considers the refelctions and off axis performance and the total sound power. That chart btw looked pretty awesome too.

It's sucks that JbL pro is one of the only speaker companies that can do and provide this data. The fact no one else can kind of make comparing to other speakers harder.
Mfusick is offline  
post #105 of 3084 Old 06-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bone215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cherry Hill NJ
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
quote The more accurate, the more chameleon like a speaker becomes, and you end up judging the unique recording attributes more than the speaker. The less accurate a speaker and you hear more of the the unique speaker attributes, not the unique recording attributes.
end quote

So true. I am using the lower end LSR4326p speakers as my desktop system and you hear into the mix. They do get out of the way and when something is recorded very well I naturally sit up and pay attention. Unfortunately, many recordings are not done well or are compressed in some way such as to limit dynamics. I can't imaging how the M2's or the newer JBL monitors might sound. I would imagine they also reveal everything about the source, both good and maybe not so good.
Gooddoc likes this.

deeper than the deepest ocean
Bone215 is offline  
post #106 of 3084 Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Active has advantages over passive without a doubt. The advantages are less distortion, decreased attack time, custom crossover integration by using DSP instead of passive components, better speaker protection from being overdriven. The disadvantage is cost in both design and set up. Active requires getting a signal and power to each speaker or multiple speaker wires if the amps are outside the speaker, passive only requires a speaker wire. With that being said it still comes down to design. There are some excellent passive speakers and mediocre active speakers and vice versa. However, if there is the same speaker in active and passive versions I will take the active speaker. But, things are rarely that simple.
The active design is also more friendly to correction of room related issues without advanced or extra equipment.
Mfusick is offline  
post #107 of 3084 Old 06-21-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borneo Island
Posts: 3,045
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The active design is also more friendly to correction of room related issues without advanced or extra equipment.
Active speakers are more room eq friendly? How is that possible?
Skylinestar is offline  
post #108 of 3084 Old 06-21-2015, 08:00 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
You don't need a special external unit to make room based changes- all the DSP functionality is right in the amp already. Many AVR don't have that functionality, or people buy external units to gain the kind of control that exists in an active amp set up. I guess it depends on the amps, but somthing like the M2 the amp functionaltiy is all you need to make room based corrections.
Mfusick is offline  
post #109 of 3084 Old 06-22-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lemonslush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 1,932
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 475
I though I saw a post of their max SPL but cant seem to find it now. DO we think the 708 would be loud enough to put behind a screen as your main LRC?

I was looking at the JBL cinema stuff and love the 305's I have. If I could get my HT speakers to play as loud as I needed and sound like my 305 I would be pleased at punch. Also the 708 looks to be front ported, Hello baffle wall!
lemonslush is offline  
post #110 of 3084 Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I though I saw a post of their max SPL but cant seem to find it now. DO we think the 708 would be loud enough to put behind a screen as your main LRC?

I was looking at the JBL cinema stuff and love the 305's I have. If I could get my HT speakers to play as loud as I needed and sound like my 305 I would be pleased at punch. Also the 708 looks to be front ported, Hello baffle wall!
708 is plenty loud for a 12 foot distance.

Distance is the determining factor as each doubling of distance is a drop by about -6db. I think many are rated at 1 meter/1watt for sensitivity.

So if you know every time you double wattage you gain about 3db - you can back into how many watts it will take to reach the volume level you want.

Commercial theaters are calibrated at 85db C weighted and often called on to do 100db+ peaks. Having 20db of headroom seems like something you want.

Frequency Response -1.5 dB @ 45Hz – 23kHz
Max SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >108 dB SPL / 1m
Maximum Peak SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >114 dB SPL / 1m

Specs look pretty good. ^

If it does 114db peak at 1m, then it does 111db at 2m, and 108db at 3m.

3.65m is 12 feet. So 85db constant with about 105db peaks seems to be reasonable with these at a 12ft distance.

I think you'd be surprised at how loud this actually is. Set your system C weighted at 85db constant with some pink noise (subs off !). Check it out. (Turn subs back on).
Mfusick is offline  
post #111 of 3084 Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
708 is plenty loud for a 12 foot distance.

Distance is the determining factor as each doubling of distance is a drop by about -6db. I think many are rated at 1 meter/1watt for sensitivity.

So if you know every time you double wattage you gain about 3db - you can back into how many watts it will take to reach the volume level you want.

Commercial theaters are calibrated at 85db C weighted and often called on to do 100db+ peaks. Having 20db of headroom seems like something you want.

Frequency Response -1.5 dB @ 45Hz – 23kHz
Max SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >108 dB SPL / 1m
Maximum Peak SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >114 dB SPL / 1m

Specs look pretty good. ^

If it does 114db peak at 1m, then it does 111db at 2m, and 108db at 3m.

3.65m is 12 feet. So 85db constant with about 105db peaks seems to be reasonable with these at a 12ft distance.

I think you'd be surprised at how loud this actually is. Set your system C weighted at 85db constant with some pink noise (subs off !). Check it out. (Turn subs back on).
Any idea what kind of power will be required to safely achieve these levels? I haven't seen sensitivity specs posted anywhere.
Chipless is offline  
post #112 of 3084 Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 PM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Any idea what kind of power will be required to safely achieve these levels? I haven't seen sensitivity specs posted anywhere.
lol I started that direction in the post then realized the sensitivity was not posted so I back tracked because they actually listed the 1m output.

I have no clue the sensitivity. If it was 90db- then 93 would need 2 watts, 4 watts bring 96db etc...

Without knowing where to start it's not really possible to figure it out. My guess is it's a normal amount of power. It's JBL.
Mfusick is offline  
post #113 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,844
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
708 is plenty loud for a 12 foot distance.

Distance is the determining factor as each doubling of distance is a drop by about -6db. I think many are rated at 1 meter/1watt for sensitivity.

So if you know every time you double wattage you gain about 3db - you can back into how many watts it will take to reach the volume level you want.

Commercial theaters are calibrated at 85db C weighted and often called on to do 100db+ peaks. Having 20db of headroom seems like something you want.

Frequency Response -1.5 dB @ 45Hz – 23kHz
Max SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >108 dB SPL / 1m
Maximum Peak SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >114 dB SPL / 1m

Specs look pretty good. ^



If it does 114db peak at 1m, then it does 111db at 2m, and 108db at 3m.

3.65m is 12 feet. So 85db constant with about 105db peaks seems to be reasonable with these at a 12ft distance.

I think you'd be surprised at how loud this actually is. Set your system C weighted at 85db constant with some pink noise (subs off !). Check it out. (Turn subs back on).
It drops 6 dB at 2m, not 3 dB, you should get 108 dB peak at 2m. 1 to 2m is doubling of distance, you said it yourself above.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
MKtheater is offline  
post #114 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
It drops 6 dB at 2m, not 3 dB, you should get 108 dB peak at 2m. 1 to 2m is doubling of distance, you said it yourself above.
Yeah good catch- I switch back from wattage doubling (3db) to distance doubling (-6db) when I realized the sensitivity rating was not posted. math isn't my friend I guess..
Mfusick is offline  
post #115 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,844
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Yeah good catch- I switch back from wattage doubling (3db) to distance doubling (-6db) when I realized the sensitivity rating was not posted. math isn't my friend I guess..

No, you are fine, every makes mistakes and slips up, I do it all the time.


I would try the 308, 708(I do love JBL) if it could play loud enough but I have my doubts sitting from 14 feet away. The cinema speakers won' fit in my baffle wall either. I have given up on my DIY skills and let JBL do the crosses for me.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
MKtheater is offline  
post #116 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
No, you are fine, every makes mistakes and slips up, I do it all the time.


I would try the 308, 708(I do love JBL) if it could play loud enough but I have my doubts sitting from 14 feet away. The cinema speakers won' fit in my baffle wall either. I have given up on my DIY skills and let JBL do the crosses for me.
You should be looking at a proper screen array. They are also well engineered:

Mfusick is offline  
post #117 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 29,681
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Here is the next part:

Mfusick is offline  
post #118 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Great videos, thanks for posting.
Mfusick likes this.
Chipless is offline  
post #119 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Chipless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Also, I know there has been some ambiguity regarding powered versions of the 7 series, but the latest info is that there will be powered versions "by the end of the year"...we shall see if that holds true. I certainly hope so.
Chipless is offline  
post #120 of 3084 Old 06-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Zzzzz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Also, I know there has been some ambiguity regarding powered versions of the 7 series, but the latest info is that there will be powered versions "by the end of the year"...we shall see if that holds true. I certainly hope so.
Source?
Zzzzz... is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off