JBL 705i/708i (7 Series Master Reference Monitors) & 725G/728G (subwoofers): Jan 2015 - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1090Likes

post #1921 of 2931 Old 10-13-2017, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am still getting to know my new 708p's but so far they are sounding fantastic! Pleasantly surprised how they sound every bit as big as my old 4722's.

They are getting a full calibration on Monday and I can't wait.
Congrats on getting the 708Ps.

Have some questions for you, if you don't mind...

1. What is the size of your room and how far are you from your 708P LCR speakers?

2. Do they get loud enough for you? How loud do you normally listen?

3. What are you using for the surround and ceiling speakers?

4. Do you have a 7.1.4 setup? What pre/pro are you using?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2931 Old 10-13-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Congrats on getting the 708Ps.

Have some questions for you, if you don't mind...

1. What is the size of your room and how far are you from your 708P LCR speakers?
-My room is 18" D x 16" W x 8"H. My first row is 9.5 feet from the screen.

2. Do they get loud enough for you? How loud do you normally listen?
-They definitely do and I haven't even pushed them yet. In fact, I don't have them fully setup or calibrated yet. That happens on Monday. My old system(4722's) was ran around -15 to -17 from reference.

3. What are you using for the surround and ceiling speakers?
- I have 8 of the JBL SCS-8's for surround/atmos duty.

4. Do you have a 7.1.4 setup? What pre/pro are you using?
-Anthem AVM60

Thanks in advance
*Answers are in your quoted post. Sorry about that.

Once everything is dialed in and integrated, I will have a much better review. I will say this though, I was a bit skeptical that a speaker of this size would come close to my old 4722's. They do and I am very impressed with the potential of my system now.
post #1923 of 2931 Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Once everything is dialed in and integrated, I will have a much better review. I will say this though, I was a bit skeptical that a speaker of this size would come close to my old 4722's. They do and I am very impressed with the potential of my system now.
Do indeed tell what you think once you have it all set up . Should I, in the future, have a need for more power than my 705Ps, the 708Ps would be very high on my list. Next on my list now, however, would be getting a subwoofer or two , to offload the 705Ps.

Audio Gear: Sennheiser HD 800 & HD 650, SPL Phonitor, Abrahamsen V6.0 DAC, JBL 705Ps, Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 2931 Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Currently, do you notice any sound quality or timbre shift when sounds pan from the 708Ps to the SCS 8s or is the sound field cohesive? Also, what subwoofers do you have?

Lastly, who will be calibrating your setup?
post #1925 of 2931 Old 10-14-2017, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

@notnyt would love to see the distortion chart
post #1926 of 2931 Old 10-14-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Currently, do you notice any sound quality or timbre shift when sounds pan from the 708Ps to the SCS 8s or is the sound field cohesive? Also, what subwoofers do you have?

Lastly, who will be calibrating your setup?
No difference in sound quality nor a timbre shift. The SCS8's match up very well with the 708's.

My subs are:
Dual DSS Mariana24's in the front, each getting feed 4000 watts.
Three of the DSS Mariana 18's in the rear with 4000 watt plate amps.
post #1927 of 2931 Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
No difference in sound quality nor a timbre shift. The SCS8's match up very well with the 708's.

My subs are:
Dual DSS Mariana24's in the front, each getting feed 4000 watts.
Three of the DSS Mariana 18's in the rear with 4000 watt plate amps.
Hey Coach, why do you have such manly subs and such girly speakers. Oh who am I kidding, I am kind of intrigued by the 708Ps for LCR. Eager to hear a full report after the system get fully calibrated.
post #1928 of 2931 Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Someone on the Gearslutz forum is stating that his 708P has a buzzing issue somewhere between 20-200 Hz. I recall this being an issue with the LSR305 as well and I can confirm it happens on my LSR305 speakers (around 100-200 Hz). I thought JBL would have rectified it on the more expensive models but it seems they didn't. I also recall, on the LSR305, that the issue can be fixed by tightening or loosening the screws around the woofer till the buzzing is gone. Haven't tried it though.

Post on the Gearslutz forum: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12905070-post107.html
post #1929 of 2931 Old 10-15-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 514
This was the 2nd thing I checked on the 705P after checking if the idle noise floor was as good or better then the 305s. I was slowly ramping up test tones before I had played any material over my 705Ps. I would have returned them without blinking if the self-noise had not been better or if there had been any of that resonance rattling in the 150-250hz range. It's just not there with any of the 5 705Ps I have.

Life is Lambertian
post #1930 of 2931 Old 10-16-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The speakers sound great, and I love working on them, but the quality control has been a real issue. One of these speakers rattles in the bass port at 100hz. Two of them buzz on the back panel at 90hz and 104hz. If I push on the back panel or inside the bass port, the buzz stops, so it is just a basic vibration problem. You say to screw in the panel, but this is a $2K speaker. I shouldn't have to take a screwdriver to it ever, never mind when it is brand new.

I have also had to replace two of these for flat out failure. One had a blown out woofer. The other started making robot sounds.

All this being said, for the price-point these sound amazing, are incredible for mixing, and have so many features. They just shouldn't have these problems.
Frohlich and notnyt like this.
post #1931 of 2931 Old 10-17-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spluta View Post
The speakers sound great, and I love working on them, but the quality control has been a real issue. One of these speakers rattles in the bass port at 100hz. Two of them buzz on the back panel at 90hz and 104hz. If I push on the back panel or inside the bass port, the buzz stops, so it is just a basic vibration problem. You say to screw in the panel, but this is a $2K speaker. I shouldn't have to take a screwdriver to it ever, never mind when it is brand new.

I have also had to replace two of these for flat out failure. One had a blown out woofer. The other started making robot sounds.

All this being said, for the price-point these sound amazing, are incredible for mixing, and have so many features. They just shouldn't have these problems.
I am not taking anyone's side here but I just want to state that this is the first time I've heard about such "devastatingly" poor quality control on the JBL 7 Series speakers. There are quite a few owners of the 708i in this thread and not one has stated about poor quality control. Maybe it's different with the 708P? Again, just stating what I've noticed.
post #1932 of 2931 Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

708p's

Last night I had my audio calibrated by ChadB. Chad has been working on every audio/video system I have owned since 2003 and does fantastic work. He has never let me down and this recent calibration was not different.

Full disclosure here. I am, by no means at all, any sort of professional nor do I really know much about the technical side of this hobby. My opinions and statements are based on what my ears hear and that is it.

After working on integrating some new subs with my old ones, he went to work on my 708p's. He seemed very impressed with how well they showed up on the graphs. ARC was used via my Anthem AVM60 and after some additional tweaking, my front LCR's sounded FANTASTIC! Chad commented that this was the best my system has sounded and I couldn't agree more.

These 708's are excellent with dialog. Dialog was crisp, clear and the best I can remember hearing in my room. Mid bass was not a problem with the way my subs were integrated. The 708's can definitely hold their own with no subs, which was a nice surprise. Probably the biggest compliment I can give them is how wide of a sound stage they have. Coming from the 4722's, this was my biggest concern. Could these fill the room and keep the dynamics of what I was used to hearing? The answer in my case is YES!

Every room is different as is the listening distance. I am only 9.5 feet back from the speakers/screen wall. IMO, I think the 4722's were a tad too close to really enjoy what they bring to the table. The 708's are perfect for a setup like mine. I would highly recommend these to anyone that is in a similar boat. I was someone that sorta dissed the idea of a speaker this size and thought the cinema line was the end game. In the last several months I have learned a lot about the differences and I am glad I made the move.

In a response to the build quality, my speakers didn't have any issues nor any humming. They are extremely quiet.

Feel free to ask me any particular questions if I didn't cover something.
post #1933 of 2931 Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Last night I had my audio calibrated by ChadB. Chad has been working on every audio/video system I have owned since 2003 and does fantastic work. He has never let me down and this recent calibration was not different.

Full disclosure here. I am, by no means at all, any sort of professional nor do I really know much about the technical side of this hobby. My opinions and statements are based on what my ears hear and that is it.

After working on integrating some new subs with my old ones, he went to work on my 708p's. He seemed very impressed with how well they showed up on the graphs. ARC was used via my Anthem AVM60 and after some additional tweaking, my front LCR's sounded FANTASTIC! Chad commented that this was the best my system has sounded and I couldn't agree more.

These 708's are excellent with dialog. Dialog was crisp, clear and the best I can remember hearing in my room. Mid bass was not a problem with the way my subs were integrated. The 708's can definitely hold their own with no subs, which was a nice surprise. Probably the biggest compliment I can give them is how wide of a sound stage they have. Coming from the 4722's, this was my biggest concern. Could these fill the room and keep the dynamics of what I was used to hearing? The answer in my case is YES!

Every room is different as is the listening distance. I am only 9.5 feet back from the speakers/screen wall. IMO, I think the 4722's were a tad too close to really enjoy what they bring to the table. The 708's are perfect for a setup like mine. I would highly recommend these to anyone that is in a similar boat. I was someone that sorta dissed the idea of a speaker this size and thought the cinema line was the end game. In the last several months I have learned a lot about the differences and I am glad I made the move.

In a response to the build quality, my speakers didn't have any issues nor any humming. They are extremely quiet.

Awesome stuff!

Quick question...

Have you wall mounted the 708P speakers? If so, what wall mount are you using?

Lastly, any pics?
post #1934 of 2931 Old 10-17-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome stuff!

Quick question...

Have you wall mounted the 708P speakers? If so, what wall mount are you using?

Lastly, any pics?

They are not wall mounted. Here is a picture of my previous speakers and a picture of the 708p's. Since this picture was taken, the speakers are surrounded well with insulation. I should have taken pictures before I put the screen back up.

The subs are custom built Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24's. The subs in the rear are Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160221_131203.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	2299936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952017101195123947.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	2299938  
Frohlich and Palewing like this.
post #1935 of 2931 Old 10-18-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
They are not wall mounted. Here is a picture of my previous speakers and a picture of the 708p's. Since this picture was taken, the speakers are surrounded well with insulation. I should have taken pictures before I put the screen back up.

The subs are custom built Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24's. The subs in the rear are Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18's.
Quite a difference in size, indeed . They almost look like 705Ps, even if they are not.

Audio Gear: Sennheiser HD 800 & HD 650, SPL Phonitor, Abrahamsen V6.0 DAC, JBL 705Ps, Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 1.
post #1936 of 2931 Old 10-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Hi coach and palewing, I've been following the thread, as I am considering the 705p as front 3.
Decided against the 705i due to need for apparently noisy amp from crown / jbl or additional eq.
Do your 708p also get hot at the back? Isn't this an issue if you want to put them in a soft fit behind the screen?
I have to say the speaker noise mentioned is a real concern. Did you ask the supplier about it? Sure it's not just a faulty pair you have?
I have a similar size room to coach that I am designing, and not sure between getting behind screen jbls or in room revels.
Did you guys listen to the kef ls50 as possible surrounds? Kef r series also get good reviews and I will try to audition these and the revel 208 or 206.

Thanks
post #1937 of 2931 Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
Hi coach and palewing, I've been following the thread, as I am considering the 705p as front 3.
Decided against the 705i due to need for apparently noisy amp from crown / jbl or additional eq.
Do your 708p also get hot at the back? Isn't this an issue if you want to put them in a soft fit behind the screen?
I have to say the speaker noise mentioned is a real concern. Did you ask the supplier about it? Sure it's not just a faulty pair you have?
I have a similar size room to coach that I am designing, and not sure between getting behind screen jbls or in room revels.
Did you guys listen to the kef ls50 as possible surrounds? Kef r series also get good reviews and I will try to audition these and the revel 208 or 206.

Thanks
I have the speakers behind my screen. It isn't a true baffle wall, so some air does get back there. After running them for about three hours last night, I took off the screen. The amp was slightly warm, but not anything I am concerned about. I contacted JBL and asked them about leaving the speakers on 24/7 and they didn't think it would be an issue at all, so that is what I am currently doing until I came come up with something that could trigger them remotely(which might not be possible)

As far as the build/QC issues reported a few posts up, I had zero issues with mine. No noise or any sort of issues during calibration. Everything sounds great and I am extremely happy!

My surrounds are the SCS-8's from JBL. They were bought about two years ago to match up with my previous speakers and they play very nicely with the 708's.
post #1938 of 2931 Old 10-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The supplier has been very good about addressing the issue, and has been in dialog with me about it since I reported it. I am not disputing the quality of the sound on these. They sound awesome, and I haven't even gotten the 6312 sub that I am adding to the system yet. BUT, every single one of the 5 of these that I have received has had build issues. I'm not even really complaining. As I said, the supplier is dealing with the situation (and says they are in communication with JBL), and I have no doubt it will be resolved. I am going to pursue these speakers in our studio, as my mixes (I am a composer and mixing engineer) are immediately superior to what they were before. It is night and day.

So, I am not pointing fingers. I am asking if anyone else has noticed this. If you don't believe me and want me to attach sound recordings, I am glad to do that.
Zzzzz... likes this.
post #1939 of 2931 Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger99 View Post
I'm really sensitive to hiss, that's probably all. I don't really notice it anymore (99.9% of the time at least), but it's still there. It really depends on how sensitive you are to such things, and your environment (I've probably said this a bunch of times already, but that's really all there is). The background noise-level here is not very high, as I don't live in the city.

The pitch of the noise from the speakers is quite high. In fact, I'll see if I can measure it.

I got my UMIK-1 not many days ago, and I just measured the noise in my room at my MLP, close to the PC, and close to the tweeter of a speaker: There's a big peak at 18khz that increases the closer I get to the tweeter. That's probably why few others hear it (if this is present on the other speakers). I do hear a sharp noise, though.

Of course, it might be a combination of/with the peaks below 18khz (16khz, 15khz and 12khz) that bothers me (rarely now), and not simply 18khz by itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-10-19 15.58.25.png
Views:	70
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	2301032  
Zzzzz... and 12B4A like this.

Last edited by Palewing; 10-19-2017 at 07:42 AM.
post #1940 of 2931 Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so that is what I am currently doing until I came come up with something that could trigger them remotely(which might not be possible)
Just leave the power switch on and https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%A...dp/B00DQELHBS/

Life is Lambertian
post #1941 of 2931 Old 10-19-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
I didn't even think of something like those! I appreciate the information and will see if I can give those a shot.

Thanks!
post #1942 of 2931 Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveNoX View Post
Which is the lowest priced amp I could use for a pair of 705i from here: http://www.senia.ro/amplificatoare-p...oducator-crown I have Chord Mojo as a DAC.
2 200 lei = $500
The only amps that take the tunings for the LSR705 and 708 are the Crown DCi-ns, iTechs, and JBL SDA amps.
post #1943 of 2931 Old 10-19-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:

Seems someone around here has been saying this about the 708s for a while now... can't remember their name...
Frohlich and COACH2369 like this.
post #1944 of 2931 Old 10-20-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got a quote for the Adaptive Technologies mounts for 7 708i wall speakers and 4 708i ceiling speakers. The quote is quite expensive even with their discount but then I knew before hand that these are expensive mounts. However, the real killer is that this is from the UK dealer as there is no dealer here in Dubai. As a result, shipping will also be included. They said that they will have to ship through FedEx and the shipping will be very expensive. I am waiting for their shipping quote.

If the shipping is too expensive, I'll most likely have to look at different mounts. As a result, any recommendations for wall and ceiling mounts for the 708i that I can purchase preferably through Amazon? Note I have concrete walls and ceiling.

Last edited by Kain; 10-20-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Typo.
post #1945 of 2931 Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the shipping is too expensive, I'll most likely have to look at different mounts. As a result, any recommendations for wall and ceiling mounts for the 708i that I can purchase preferably through Amazon? Note I have concrete walls and ceiling.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post41387809

Life is Lambertian
post #1946 of 2931 Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Thanks.

However, in regards to the Versamount 35 that Gooddoc is using for his ceiling 705i speakers, will the mount also work to mount the 708i to a concrete ceiling? No speaker drilling will be required? If I recall correctly, Gooddoc stated he had to drill some holes in his 705i speakers for the ceiling mount to work.

Edit: It seems you can use the Versamount 70 on ceilings as well. This might be a better option for ceiling mounting the 708i as the max weight "allowance" of the Versamount 35 is quite close to the weight of the 708i.

Last edited by Kain; 10-20-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #1947 of 2931 Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I doubt he drilled through the speakers. Likely he drilled holes into the mounts if anything.

The speakers have a specific bolt pattern on top/bottom/back you can look at and match up with mounts. Just takes a little effort to google and pick something out.
post #1948 of 2931 Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 75
For those of you who might be waiting:
Quote:
7 Series Powered studio monitors are now shipping to authorized HARMAN distributors worldwide.
http://www.jblpro.com/www/news/news-...wered-monitors
post #1949 of 2931 Old 10-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Has this been mentioned before? I noticed that the 705P and 708P data sheets now list SNR values for each driver:

Quote:
SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO, HF: 92dBA (A-Weighted), 83dBr (unweighted), relative to 2.83VRMS output on HF
SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO, LF: 85dBA (A-Weighted), 80dBr (unweighted), relative to 2.83VRMS output on LF
post #1950 of 2931 Old 10-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palewing View Post
I'm really sensitive to hiss, that's probably all. I don't really notice it anymore (99.9% of the time at least), but it's still there. It really depends on how sensitive you are to such things, and your environment (I've probably said this a bunch of times already, but that's really all there is). The background noise-level here is not very high, as I don't live in the city.

The pitch of the noise from the speakers is quite high. In fact, I'll see if I can measure it.

I got my UMIK-1 not many days ago, and I just measured the noise in my room at my MLP, close to the PC, and close to the tweeter of a speaker: There's a big peak at 18khz that increases the closer I get to the tweeter. That's probably why few others hear it (if this is present on the other speakers). I do hear a sharp noise, though.

Of course, it might be a combination of/with the peaks below 18khz (16khz, 15khz and 12khz) that bothers me (rarely now), and not simply 18khz by itself.
I wonder if the 705p get hotter at the back because they are smaller than the 708p.
How does the DSP work in the p models? Do they auto calibrate or is this done manually / professionally?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page