JBL 705i/708i (7 Series Master Reference Monitors) & 725G/728G (subwoofers): Jan 2015 - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1085Likes

post #2581 of 2918 Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Haha. Yea "I bought this car-priced processor so now I don't need these slightly fancy amps and can keep my own"

Congrats forin You're going to love em.
Thanks Beast I am looking forward to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2918 Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Haha. Yea "I bought this car-priced processor so now I don't need these slightly fancy amps and can keep my own"

Congrats forin You're going to love em.
The SDP-75 is the one thing that could make a Trinnov owner consider selling their unit, assuming they've got speakers that have tunings selectable in the Harman variant of the Altitude.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #2583 of 2918 Old 12-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by forin View Post
I re measured my listening distance and it’s actualy 7.5-8 feet. The center is on the floor beneath the tv on a small stand tilted towards my head. The LR are wall mounted with both speakers mounted upside down to get the tweeters closer together to the center. When I stand I don’t hear a change but I also tilted them up slightly to aim the tweeter at my head .
Great to hear and what I expected. When I had the 708s, I was using my existing speaker stands. Though they have a slight tilt, the 708s were still not angled directly at me when I was seated. Given this and the fact that standing increased the angle to the speakers by about 30 degrees, resulted in slightly different sound. It's not something I thought about before: a smaller room, and hence smaller distances from the speakers to the listener, will result in larger angle changes when standing compared to sitting.

Last edited by Zzzzz...; 12-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2918 Old 12-26-2018, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
The SDP-75 is the one thing that could make a Trinnov owner consider selling their unit, assuming they've got speakers that have tunings selectable in the Harman variant of the Altitude.
The JBL speaker tunings are publicly available and easy to input directly into the Altitude - someone as competent at as yourself Stuart could add them in about 10 minutes - the side step to an SDP-75 would be pointless and lose you remapping (and - if memory serves - possibly PEQ) to boot.
post #2585 of 2918 Old 12-26-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 192
If you're a fan of Harman engineering and you have all JBL speaker, then you go with SDP-75. My 2 cents.

It was stated they changed how the system is EQ'd slightly. With only 7.4.4, remapping doesn't interest me.

The PEQ is something I need to check into. That does suck.
post #2586 of 2918 Old 12-26-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
The JBL speaker tunings are publicly available and easy to input directly into the Altitude - someone as competent at as yourself Stuart could add them in about 10 minutes - the side step to an SDP-75 would be pointless and lose you remapping (and - if memory serves - possibly PEQ) to boot.
As long as they're publicly available, and there's no other special sauce in the SDP-75 for anechoic chamber curves that can't be otherwise implemented which makes a material difference in how Optimizer behaves, sure. I'd be surprised if PEQ wasn't an option; wouldn't that be needed to implement the SFM EQ related filter(s) as I believe they're PEQ based?

At any rate, JBLs are on my dream team list, but if were doing the room over, I'd be looking seriously at the M2/708 or at least Revel Salons (although I do make use of remapping in my own Altitude-based 13.4.6 setup due to a rear room asymmetry with a door placement). Unlikely as being able to blow it all up actually is...but with our hobby/obsession, I'm not sure "unlikely" really enters into the vocabulary .

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6

Last edited by sdrucker; 12-26-2018 at 10:30 AM.
post #2587 of 2918 Old 12-27-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
As I work on my room, I have been listening to a lot of my Time Life Music compilation CDs that have been sitting for years collecting dust. I have the 708's just plopped in home theater chairs with them "kinda pointed" in the same direction as they lean and point skyward. I am truly amazed at the sound that comes out of these ugly boxes with zero proper setup. It will take me forever to work through my gazillion Time Life collections, but I am going to enjoy the ride. I have reconnected with music again and can't wait to get the M2's online. The 708s have motivated me to convert my CD collection over to FLAC to stream.
Frohlich likes this.
post #2588 of 2918 Old 12-30-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
As I work on my room, I have been listening to a lot of my Time Life Music compilation CDs that have been sitting for years collecting dust. I have the 708's just plopped in home theater chairs with them "kinda pointed" in the same direction as they lean and point skyward. I am truly amazed at the sound that comes out of these ugly boxes with zero proper setup. It will take me forever to work through my gazillion Time Life collections, but I am going to enjoy the ride. I have reconnected with music again and can't wait to get the M2's online. The 708s have motivated me to convert my CD collection over to FLAC to stream.
Not just listening - Molon, out of the goodness of his heart and wanting to see if he could lead me on the road to "perdition" , lent me a pair of his 708ps so I could do a two week trial, more or less. I'm going to do a L/R+subs comparison of my PSB Imagine T3 vs. the 708p, using the Trinnov Altitude I have as the processor and to do the heavy lifting with level, delay etc. given that these are the p version. Personally I don't do a lot of straight stereo listening nearly as much as using upmixers, but this was too exciting a trial to pass up.

For those of you that aren't aware of PSB, the T3s are the current flagship of Paul Barton's company, and have been favorably reviewed by Stereophile, Absolute Sound, etc. as well as by imagic here on AVS. He comes out of the NRC tradition of using science and testing to refine design, and I believe Dr. Toole worked with him before he joined Harman. But I've had an itch to scratch with the JBL line since the M2s came out and I heard them in person. The 708s are the next best thing in their way, at least as mains...

Got them yesterday, and I have a few set up questions already before I read the manual :
Input sensitivity - I'm using analog XLR input from the Altitude, which I can handle on the menu. For the input sensitivity, though, do I set this to +4dbu, -10dbu or does it matter as long as both speakers match?

User EQ - on one speaker I see it was engaged, the other was disengaged (that one may have not been used yet). On the "engaged" speaker, it seems there was a low shelf of 100 Hz and a high shelf of 2.0 kHz, more or less. Do I want to use this setting as is to preserve the tuning or not? I think I'm safe leaving this disengaged but just doing due diligence.

Room EQ, speaker trim, and the like - leaving these as 0 as the Altitude can do all the lifting. Unless I shouldn't?

Other settings - since I'm not using AES I don't think there's anything I should watch for, but if so I'd appreciate the help.

I can't have the PSB vs. the 708s in identical locations without physically swapping them out, but I'll put the 708s directly next to them and a similar elevation (at least to start; I have adjustable stands for them) so I have as close a common speaker azimuth (call it 25-30 degrees) and elevation angle as possible.

Nice thing with the Trinnov is I can do a pseudo 5.1 calibration with my current LCRs and the 708s, and do some tricks with the Speaker Configuration and the solo/mute to easily A/B content for the L/R + subs configuration. And my sub setup is already set, so I don't have to tinker with that beyond what I already have.

More to come...not sure if I'm going to post here or a separate thread (not the new "How to choose a loudspeaker"/science thread, as I think we should leave that one for what is presented by Kevin Voecks and possibly Floyd Toole there), but I set up an Altitude preset where I could easily A/B content between the Imagine T3 and the 708. Along with the usual Trinnov optimizer calibration graphs for the calibration, I'm going to do some REW plots and critical listening, using the HAA (Home Acoustic Alliance) criteria we used in the class I took last fall for Clarity, Focus etc.

Should be fun...

Stuart
Frohlich likes this.

Last edited by sdrucker; 12-30-2018 at 05:38 PM.
post #2589 of 2918 Old 12-30-2018, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked: 3224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
That's awesome. There is more to come from the M2's
post #2590 of 2918 Old 12-31-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
@sdrucker - From the manual

To restore the factory default settings

1.set the POWER SWITCH to the OFF position.

2. Press and Hold the MENU and BACK keys simultaneously while setting the POWER SWITCH to the ON position.

Text in the display will confirm the speaker has been reset.

I didn't spend much of any time setting up the ones I was using and didn't do a factory reset on any of them. One of those was in use, the other one was never powered on but they were both B stock so there is probably some residual configurations on both of them. I wasn't going to worry with erasing them until I got the room finished.
Rex Anderson likes this.
post #2591 of 2918 Old 01-01-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Do wide-dispersion speakers such as the JBL 3 Series and 7 Series that have excellent imaging minimize the possibility of hot spotting when placed close to the listener? As stated previously, I use two LSR305s for my desktop PC and they are roughly 2 ft away from me. Sometimes (and probably most of the time), it sounds as if the sound is not originated from the speakers but simply "existing in space." I'm not hearing the speakers, just hearing sound. On the other hand, my current main home theater has Klipsch speakers and it always sounds as if the sound is clearly originating the from the speakers (and these speakers are at a much greater distance from me than my JBLs). The Klipsch speakers cannot come close to matching the imaging of the JBLs. So, does it depend on the speaker on whether or not it will "hot spot" when placed close to you?
post #2592 of 2918 Old 01-01-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Do wide-dispersion speakers such as the JBL 3 Series and 7 Series that have excellent imaging minimize the possibility of hot spotting when placed close to the listener? As stated previously, I use two LSR305s for my desktop PC and they are roughly 2 ft away from me. Sometimes (and probably most of the time), it sounds as if the sound is not originated from the speakers but simply "existing in space." I'm not hearing the speakers, just hearing sound. On the other hand, my current main home theater has Klipsch speakers and it always sounds as if the sound is clearly originating the from the speakers (and these speakers are at a much greater distance from me than my JBLs). The Klipsch speakers cannot come close to matching the imaging of the JBLs. So, does it depend on the speaker on whether or not it will "hot spot" when placed close to you?
You can answer this for yourself by:
  1. Sitting closer to your Klipsches
  2. Putting your 305s where your Klipsches are now

Life is Lambertian
post #2593 of 2918 Old 01-01-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:

You are talking about integration of the drivers which has to do with how well the speaker was designed and implemented. Also has to do with the size of the speaker and how far you are from it. It has to do with the waveguide/horn and crossover design. A good design is seamless between drivers, in a lesser design individual drivers will be heard.

The fact that you are only two feet from the JBL's and you are not hearing the speakers is suspect to me. Are you sure the wiring in your cables to them is the same, i.e they are not "out of phase"? Are you using balanced XLR cables? Are instruments in the phantom image dead center and is the bass full, solid and well defined? Are you hearing things outside the speakers? How far apart are the speakers? Are you sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle when you listen? Lots of factors come into play to answer your question.
post #2594 of 2918 Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Anybody else run into this review of the 708p/705p? I found it a bit interesting they think the 705/708's sound is a bit colored in the midr-ange, especially for a speaker touted to be neutral and uncolored.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/jbl-7-series
post #2595 of 2918 Old 01-02-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Anybody else run into this review of the 708p/705p? I found it a bit interesting they think the 705/708's sound is a bit colored in the midr-ange, especially for a speaker touted to be neutral and uncolored.

Yeah, earlier in 2018 when it was pay-walled. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post55526744

Life is Lambertian
post #2596 of 2918 Old 01-02-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked: 3224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post

The fact that you are only two feet from the JBL's and you are not hearing the speakers is suspect to me.
I can stand within 2 ft. between my M2's and hear just the phantom image, so doesn't surprise me. They're about 9 ft. apart.
post #2597 of 2918 Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I can stand within 2 ft. between my M2's and hear just the phantom image, so doesn't surprise me. They're about 9 ft. apart.

I know what you are saying, but I think he was referring more to his LSR 305's sounding integrated as individual speakers at a distance of 2 feet. Now when I think about it, the 305's are pretty small so it is not such a surprise. Mark of a well designed speaker.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #2598 of 2918 Old 01-02-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

The 7-series is a more accurate speaker in the midrange than the reference LS50, but it will sound different from the less linear LS50.

I wonder 708Ps are leaving with erroneous tunings though, or amplifier tolerances aren’t very tight. Grimani measured elevated tweeter level on his 708P.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #2599 of 2918 Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
708P Reaction

I just recently bought a pair of the 708P's and was extremely pleased with them but I had one of the LED screens go out within the first month. JBL is fixing them but has anyone else had this happen?
post #2600 of 2918 Old 01-03-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Thanks for the link. That's interesting, wonder why he believes his LS50's are the most neutral, despite the measurements showing otherwise.
post #2601 of 2918 Old 01-03-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I have the 708ps set up, set them back to factory defaults, and ran my simple calibration with just LCR PSB Imagine T3s (the center so I could get a reference point if I use the Trinnov Altitude's 3D remapping) and the 708s. I obviously couldn't place the 708s in identical locations to the T3s, but I came close - according to the data, the T3s are at about +/- 25 degrees and the 708 are at +/- 22 degrees, which is close enough for 99% of us . With the stands I used for the JBL, I have the tweeters at the same height as well (horns in the case of the 708s) I can do a trick where I temporarily set the 708s to be "side surrounds", then use the speaker layout to have them play L/R as well as the T3s, so I can do one big calibration and liten..

Interesting thing is that when I compare the room EQ, using the same measurement positions and overlay the pairs of speakers against another (L separately, R separately), you get almost identical full-range target curves at 1/6th resolution, and almost identical diagnostics for phase and IR with the room EQ. I'll do real measurements with/without room EQ when I have the chance in a few days. Just set up a HTPC in my home theatre, so no more dragging out the laptop for REW measurements, assuming ASIO cooperates.

Nice thing with the Altitude is I can easily A/B the results by simply solo/muting the appropriate channels. My first impression, after making sure that the speakers were all level matched at 75 db with my SPL meter, is that the PSBs and JBL are far more similar than different. Where there are differences is slightly better bass extension with the T3s (which I expected, given that they reach lower, so there's more oomph there even with bass management on), but you can pick out slightly more detail on, say, an acoustic bass strummed in the background with the 708s. The vocals are marginally more realistic with the 708s when I tested a cut Curt Hoyt recommended called "These Bones", which is acapella singing with a strong bass vocalist with a rich voice and layered harmonies, though. Likewise Ricky Lee Jones was a bit less harsh on "Hi Lilli, Hi-Lo" from the Home Acoustics Alliance tool kit with the 708s, but that went away when I did Dolby Surround upmix with the T3s to use the hard center to move the vocals there.

I really need to be more "scientific" about the bass management. I used my existing 80 Hz crossover for both the 708 and T3s, but I'll fine tune after doing some speaker+sub measurement with the JBLs.

Molon is letting me have the 708s until the middle of the month, so more fun times ahead.
Gooddoc likes this.

post #2602 of 2918 Old 01-04-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
I have the 708ps set up, set them back to factory defaults, and ran my simple calibration with just LCR PSB Imagine T3s (the center so I could get a reference point if I use the Trinnov Altitude's 3D remapping) and the 708s. I obviously couldn't place the 708s in identical locations to the T3s, but I came close - according to the data, the T3s are at about +/- 25 degrees and the 708 are at +/- 22 degrees, which is close enough for 99% of us . With the stands I used for the JBL, I have the tweeters at the same height as well (horns in the case of the 708s) I can do a trick where I temporarily set the 708s to be "side surrounds", then use the speaker layout to have them play L/R as well as the T3s, so I can do one big calibration and liten..

Interesting thing is that when I compare the room EQ, using the same measurement positions and overlay the pairs of speakers against another (L separately, R separately), you get almost identical full-range target curves at 1/6th resolution, and almost identical diagnostics for phase and IR with the room EQ. I'll do real measurements with/without room EQ when I have the chance in a few days. Just set up a HTPC in my home theatre, so no more dragging out the laptop for REW measurements, assuming ASIO cooperates.

Nice thing with the Altitude is I can easily A/B the results by simply solo/muting the appropriate channels. My first impression, after making sure that the speakers were all level matched at 75 db with my SPL meter, is that the PSBs and JBL are far more similar than different. Where there are differences is slightly better bass extension with the T3s (which I expected, given that they reach lower, so there's more oomph there even with bass management on), but you can pick out slightly more detail on, say, an acoustic bass strummed in the background with the 708s. The vocals are marginally more realistic with the 708s when I tested a cut Curt Hoyt recommended called "These Bones", which is acapella singing with a strong bass vocalist with a rich voice and layered harmonies, though. Likewise Ricky Lee Jones was a bit less harsh on "Hi Lilli, Hi-Lo" from the Home Acoustics Alliance tool kit with the 708s, but that went away when I did Dolby Surround upmix with the T3s to use the hard center to move the vocals there.

I really need to be more "scientific" about the bass management. I used my existing 80 Hz crossover for both the 708 and T3s, but I'll fine tune after doing some speaker+sub measurement with the JBLs.

Molon is letting me have the 708s until the middle of the month, so more fun times ahead.
Interesting. But level matching with an SPL meter is really not granular nor accurate enough. I would highly recommend running frequency sweeps REW or equivalent) to align their plots so they literally align perfectly. As I suggested in another thread, 1/2dB difference is very audible and they only way to get it closer than that is with frequency sweeps.

And that they sound more alike than different is also not a surprise - perfectly level matched AND if you have used the Optimizer, then you remove more differences.

Fun project !!
post #2603 of 2918 Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Recently setup my 708i pair and crown dci 2/600n and it sounds fantastic. Dialog intelligibility is the best I've ever heard (with zero EQ or Dirac/audyssey/etc). I still need to integrate my sub and see what REW looks like, but initial impressions are quite impressive.

A few things that may be helpful to forum members considering these:

Listening to Tv content at normal household mild to moderate volume with ears 10ft from the amp, there is very little fan noise. A faint hum is all I can hear when the source content is muted. This was really my only hesitation with this purchase and I'm pleasantly surprised with the lack of noise. By comparison, my original fatboy PS3 is much louder when watching a bluray.

For those who don't have familiarity with Phoenix connectors on the DCI amps, here's a few videos on how to get the wires spliced and connected correctly that I found helpful:

https://youtu.be/qx4a6YC1jyA

And if you are using starquad balanced XLR cable, this is helpful:

https://youtu.be/xT4ITP1yjgI
andyc56 likes this.
post #2604 of 2918 Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl007 View Post
Recently setup my 708i pair and crown dci 2/600n and it sounds fantastic. Dialog intelligibility is the best I've ever heard (with zero EQ or Dirac/audyssey/etc). I still need to integrate my sub and see what REW looks like, but initial impressions are quite impressive.

A few things that may be helpful to forum members considering these:

Listening to Tv content at normal household mild to moderate volume with ears 10ft from the amp, there is very little fan noise. A faint hum is all I can hear when the source content is muted. This was really my only hesitation with this purchase and I'm pleasantly surprised with the lack of noise. By comparison, my original fatboy PS3 is much louder when watching a bluray.

For those who don't have familiarity with Phoenix connectors on the DCI amps, here's a few videos on how to get the wires spliced and connected correctly that I found helpful:

https://youtu.be/qx4a6YC1jyA

And if you are using starquad balanced XLR cable, this is helpful:

https://youtu.be/xT4ITP1yjgI
Regarding the fan noise, what happens when you really crank the volume, with say a "demanding" movie (in terms of sound), for a sustained period of time and then mute it?
post #2605 of 2918 Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Regarding the fan noise, what happens when you really crank the volume, with say a "demanding" movie (in terms of sound), for a sustained period of time and then mute it?
I should probably clarify that the amp will eventually be relegated to an equipment closet so the faint hum is not an issue for me currently as the current setup is temporary.

I'm currently only 10ft back from the speakers and amplifier and haven't yet seen the -20db level indicator light up yet. I'm unable to blast the volume currently as I don't want to upset neighbors, but I will say that on amp startup, the fan cycles to it's highest mode and if it were to stay at that level it would be distracting and I would likely look for another amp option (given my close proximity to the noise source).

If you are doing critical listening or have a sound proof room, you'll definitely hear the amp during quiet passages and I wouldn't recommend it, but currently I'm using it in our apartment living room and the wife is yet to complain of any amp noise issues during TV and movie watching. I've probably had the Volume up to about 80-85db at the listening position and the fan has yet to cycle up to more than a faint hum.

Our living room noise floor is somewhere in the upper 40db/lower 50db range with no HVAC running.

If anyone has a gaming console, I would compare the amp noise to that when the amp is not being stressed.
post #2606 of 2918 Old 01-15-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.
post #2607 of 2918 Old 01-20-2019, 05:02 PM

Liked: 11
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424x View Post
I have a pair of 708Ps, would like to know what I can do with the HiQnet port. Is there any way to control speaker levels remotely?

I'd like to run a stereo toslink feed through a Hosa converter, then to the 708Ps via aes digital, but need some way to control the level remotely. In a perfect world, I could also manage the EQ over the network as well, but that is a "nice to have".
Hey Mark,

I'm basically in the same boat... I just got a pair of 708ps (I really love 'em so far) and am looking for the best way of interfacing them. I've got the two sitting on a bookshelf in my office, soon to be wall-mounted, connected via. some 20-foot balanced cables to the analog outs of my DAC. It works fine, it sounds good & can be easily controlled via the volume knob on the DAC. My audio sources currently consists of a pair of PCs and a Chromecast-audio all feeding via toslink into a Motu LP32. The Motu lets me mix/play all sources simultaneously... kinda silly, but I just didn't want to toggle between the computers & I wanted to hear alerts and sound from either.

I've got a Hosa toslink to AES converter, so I could connect that to the Motu directly & control volume via its web interface (it's got a tablet-friendly web interface, so you could easily have that sitting nearby), but I think that'd hurt dynamic range a bit too. The Motu requires that you set your sampling rate & bit depth, then it must be matched by all your devices. One of my PCs seems unable to send a 96khz signal via the optical connection, but the other works. Granted, 99% of my content is 44.1khz, 16-bit, so I don't know the impact of having to upsample everything is either.

The Motu can also speak AVB via either the USB or Ethernet interface, but I don't think the JBLs can actually be fed via that interface. I installed their Audio Architect app, but it was unable to discover the JBLs via their HiQnet interface... they got an IP address via DHCP & I could ping it, but none of the JBL software I found was able to do anything with 'em. It's unclear what the Intonato controller can do itself w/ the 7-series vs. controlling the speaker's own DSP, but I have no plans on shelling out the $$$ for my tiny configuration.

Magnepan 1.7s, Magnepan CC5, 2x JL F113 subs
2x Emotiva XPA-1 (L/R), XPA-5 (center, surrounds)
Emotiva XMC-1, Oppo UDP-205 & JVC RS540U + Stewart Cima 2.35:1 133"
post #2608 of 2918 Old 01-20-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The HiQnet port on the P series is as functional as a belly button.
XYVYX likes this.

Life is Lambertian
post #2609 of 2918 Old 01-24-2019, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can’t you access the eq and setup settings (delays etc) via Audio Architect on the HiQnet port... like on the SRX815P for example?
post #2610 of 2918 Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipjs View Post
Can’t you access the eq and setup settings (delays etc) via Audio Architect on the HiQnet port... like on the SRX815P for example?
That's what I'd hoped for, but nope
I tried... it was unable to discover the speakers... doesn't even list them as a device type. (it seems like it's designed for a very specific, limited set of amps, speakers & control pads)

Magnepan 1.7s, Magnepan CC5, 2x JL F113 subs
2x Emotiva XPA-1 (L/R), XPA-5 (center, surrounds)
Emotiva XMC-1, Oppo UDP-205 & JVC RS540U + Stewart Cima 2.35:1 133"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page