AVS Forum banner

JBL 705i/708i (7 Series Master Reference Monitors) & 725G/728G (subwoofers): Jan 2015

316K views 3K replies 159 participants last post by  Jsin_N 
#1 · (Edited)
JBL 705i/708i (7 Series Master Reference Monitors): Jan 2015

Adam Savage said:
For the eight-inch two-way 708i and five-inch two-way 705i installed monitors, JBL developed a new miniature high-frequency transducer, the 2409H, featuring the manufacturer’s low-mass, annular diaphragm design, which was built to allow very high output with low distortion and high frequency response to 35kHz. JBL also engineered two new high-excursion five-inch and eight-inch woofers, the 725G and 728G, enabling the speakers to deliver robust low-frequency output into the 30Hz range...

To reduce enclosure size and installation cost, the speakers are centrally powered by Crown DCi 8|300N eight- and four-channel power amplifiers. The 705i and 708i can be driven by a single amp channel or bi-amplified. For greater accuracy and room-to-room consistency, BSS Soundweb London's signal processor provides speaker tuning, room EQ, and bass management. The processor accepts 16 or more analogue and AES/EBU inputs, and networks with the power amps via CAT5. The entire system can be externally controlled with HiQnet Audio Architect software, a hardware controller, or wireless tablet.
http://www.audioprointernational.co...ases-7-series-master-reference-monitors/07573

Data Sheet:

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/7Series_Datasheet_101514.pdf

5":

Frequency Response -1.5 dB @ 48 – 23kHz
Frequency Range 39Hz – 36 kHz
Max SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >101 dB SPL / 1m
Maximum Peak SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >107 dB SPL / 1m
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series/lsr705i#Specs

8":

Frequency Response -1.5 dB @ 45 – 23kHz
Frequency Range 35Hz – 36 kHz
Max SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >108 dB SPL / 1m
Maximum Peak SPL (80 Hz - 20 kHz) >114 dB SPL / 1m

#3 ·
Aha. I think I will have to wait for these. It appears they are the first models designed to be a timbre match for the M2's. I was wondering when they would get these out the door - and here they are. I wonder what the waveguide dispersion is?

I just ordered some SCS8's, but I think I might return them.

#8 ·
Ah, poor reading comprehension on my part! Thanks for pointing this out, @Zzzzz... . Could @markrubin or one of the other moderators edit my thread title, please? Cheers.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Looks like these can now be purchased:

www.performanceaudio.com/shop/JBL/LSR-7-Series-826/

It's interesting that they can be purchased individually rather than as a system.

Perhaps the most interesting new info, hearsay at this stage, is that they measure even better than the M2's :eek::eek::eek::eek: Not sure how that is possible :D Probably the differences are minor but it looks like these could indeed be a very nice option if you don't need the SPL produced by the M2's.

www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?36228-New-LSR-7-series-708&p=369867&viewfull=1#post369867

#11 ·
Very interesting. I thought these would only be available as part of a package with the crown amps. Looks like you can buy them individually?

#16 ·
Yes.

"The 705i and 708i can be driven by a single amp channel or bi-amplified. For greater accuracy and room-to-room consistency, HARMAN’s BSS Soundweb London signal processor provides speaker tuning, room EQ, and bass management."

The above however suggests that to get the most out of them, the Harmon processor would be required to tweak their anechoic response (like with the M2s). I don't know if that is the case or not. It depends on what exactly they mean by "speaker tuning." So far the info provided by JBL has been pretty limited.

#21 ·
Not really sure what you are getting at. Even if no third party measurements end up being published for these new monitors, there should be plenty of people giving their thoughts on them once they become available. If they sound anywhere as good as they apparently measure, then I would imagine they will be quite popular.

#23 ·
^^^ None taken :) Prior to the 7 series, the LSR6328Ps were one of the few speakers I'd seriously been interested in. Part of the lack of third party measurements could be down to the fact
1. they first came out quite a while ago - perhaps back then measuring gear was not as readily available / cheap as it is today
2. perhaps its not that unusual for a speaker not to have third party measurements made - to do a really worthwhile job of it you would need access to an anechoic chamber, which would be quite costly, and it would also be pretty time consuming

#31 ·
Valentin, in the Audio Heritage thread linked previously posted a link to Dale Pro Audio's 7 Series packages. Here's the basics:

2.0 705i system w/amp: $3222
5.1 705i system w/amp-sub: $10602
2.0 708i system w/amp: $4848
5.1 708i system w/amp-2 subs: $16747

I'm struggling to understand why an amp and in some cases a sub purchase is required for these line of speakers.

#32 ·
Valentin, in the Audio Heritage thread linked previously posted a link to Dale Pro Audio's 7 Series packages. Here's the basics:

2.0 705i system w/amp: $3222
5.1 705i system w/amp-sub: $10602
2.0 708i system w/amp: $4848
5.1 708i system w/amp-2 subs: $16747

I'm struggling to understand why an amp and in some cases a sub purchase is required for these line of speakers.
Thanks for posting this. With the amps, they are certainly not cheap. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to these prices.

I would be pretty surprised if it will not be possible to purchase the speakers without amps or subs - perhaps if not initially then at a later date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.