Sealed Vs Open Back In Ceiling Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-02-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sealed Vs Open Back In Ceiling Speakers

Hello I am currently in the market to purchase in ceiling speakers for a whole home audio system. I am looking at 4 pairs of speakers to start. I have narrowed down my search to two models but I have had no luck with local dealers having them in stock to hear. Most of the speakers will be used for music, but 1 pair will be used as rear surrounds in the TV room (This is not our main home theatre setup).

The first model is the Paradigm 60R V3 which is a new model version from Paradigm. I would be pairing this speaker with Paradigm Fireproof Back Boxes in hope of have more control over the sound transfer through the ceiling to the bedrooms above.

The second model is the Monitor Audio CP-CT150 or CT 260. This is a sealed unit and does not require a back box but is about $150 a pair above the cost of the Paradigm.

The Paradigm is right on budget but if the Monitor Audio is going to sound better and reduce sound transfer between floor I am prepared to go over budget.

Any opinions or experience with these products would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-02-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizall View Post
Hello I am currently in the market to purchase in ceiling speakers for a whole home audio system. I am looking at 4 pairs of speakers to start. I have narrowed down my search to two models but I have had no luck with local dealers having them in stock to hear. Most of the speakers will be used for music, but 1 pair will be used as rear surrounds in the TV room (This is not our main home theatre setup).

The first model is the Paradigm 60R V3 which is a new model version from Paradigm. I would be pairing this speaker with Paradigm Fireproof Back Boxes in hope of have more control over the sound transfer through the ceiling to the bedrooms above.

The second model is the Monitor Audio CP-CT150 or CT 260. This is a sealed unit and does not require a back box but is about $150 a pair above the cost of the Paradigm.

The Paradigm is right on budget but if the Monitor Audio is going to sound better and reduce sound transfer between floor I am prepared to go over budget.

Any opinions or experience with these products would be appreciated!
This an older article but it explains the issues pretty well, (and the physics haven't changed in the ensuing years):

http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...er_systems/D1/

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #3 of 4 Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Craig.

That article definitely confirms having a closed back is beneficial. What do you think about my two speaker options? Purchase an open back speaker and installing a box behind the speaker or purchasing a completely sealed unit with no box behind speaker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 237
The Paradigm fireproof backboxes look like they enclose a much greater volume than the sealed cans on the Monitor Audio speakers. The extra volume should significantly improve the bass response and efficiency of these speakers. If it were me, I would go with the Paradigms, unless the Monitor Audio speakers just sounded lots better.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
In Ceiling Speakers , Monitor Audio , monitor audio cp-ct260 , Paradigm , paradigm 60r v3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page