Another newbie "what to get" question. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elihawk

post #1 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Another newbie "what to get" question.

First off I apologize for another post like this but I am swamped at work and I'm running out of time. I'm nearing the end of my basement build and I've done so much research on every aspect of my build that I neglected my speaker selection and now I'm pretty clue less as what my options are realistically. In my build I am doing a small theater. I am 99% sure I'm getting an Epson 5030ub PJ and am leaning toward a denon receiver. I plan to do a 7.1 setup and I'm not sure what I can expect to get for good speakers. I'd like to go with floor sanding for my fronts. I don't have a solid budget really but I need to buy a lot of stuff at the same time so I'm thinking maybe in the 2k range for speakers? I have some older JBL's I could use for my back surrounds and my side surrounds worst case and just put the money into my fronts, center, and sub but in all honestly I'd prefer to just get all new speakers off the bat. If I don't I don't know when if ever I'd get around to replacing the older stuff. I will probably go to a local place near by called ABT Electronics http://www.abt.com/category/26/Speakers.htmlto purchase it all and plop down my charge card. If anyone has any suggestions that they would be willing to thrown in here I would greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
It all depends upon the size (volume - width, length, height) of your room for which subwoofer to choose. You didn't mention if the subwoofer was in that $2k budget. It may also have a small impact on your speaker choice as well. Obviously, there are hundreds of speakers to choose from, and your budget should provide you with capable sound. Since it's a dedicated home theater (I assume not open to other rooms), I suspect it will be used mainly for movies. What are you seeking as far as sound? Do you listen at or near reference levels (concert or rock concert hall levels)? Do you want the room to shake on the deep passages? Answer those questions, and we can help you better. But do go out and audition speakers. Any speakers. You need to know what you like and don't like.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
As Ds suggests, it is important to know how big of an area the subwoofer will have to pressurize....but right now, Outlaw has the LFM-1 12 inch sub for 449.00, shipped to your door. If you have a big room, you would need two, but one can be a good start.

If you go that route, that would leave 1500 dollars for speakers. EMP/RBH 5bi impression series bookshelves at 225/pr would be one way to go. Those speakers are excellent, but have little bass (below 70hz) and require a good subwoofer. Or you could get a set of tower speaeker e55Ti and the biggest center for around 1000 dollars, leaving `500 for surround speakers. Nice speakers, excellent midrange, and very clear with lots of detail! Great looking speaker as well...

Another option: Ascend Acoustic CMT340 front stage...that will cost you about 1000 dollars for a front 3, leaving `500 for surround speakers.! Very clear and detailed speaker that can play clean at a very loud volume!

Lots of other options in your price range and these options are just a couple of the ones that I have personal experience with!
dsrussell likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
I'd use your old speakers for the surrounds and put as much as you can into a pair of subs and the front three speakers.

Since this seems more theater/movie oriented I would look at some high efficiency speakers like Reaction Audio's CX line or PSA's new speakers.

If that's too much or not your style, IMO you can't go wrong with Klipsch Reference speakers for HT.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #5 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys! Sorry forgot the room specs! The room is roughly 16X14. I wired it for 3 sub locations so I can at a later time add a second sub if I want to and I have some flexibility in were I put it. I was leaning toward Klipsch personally but I'm pretty green on speakers so good to know that they would fit the bill for sure. I guess I'll see when I get to the store and spend some time talking to the sales person. They are pretty good at ABT and have knowledgeable people from my experience of purchasing from them. The place is huge and it's high end stuff. It's not like a best buy really. Not trying to knock best buy though.

@dsrussell . The room will be mainly for movies and sports. I don't think I'll be sitting in there listening to music much as I have a jukebox setup in the bar area for that. Now I will say that I am not an audiophile but I'd like it to be an impressive experience when watching movies. It's not sound proof though so if it's late I won't be able to blast it unless the wife is sitting next to me watching the movie with me It's a house and I'm not concerned about neighbors. The room yes will be a "dedicated" theater but I will say I broke one big rule by leaving it open on one side. There is an open double doorway that flows into the bar area. Again I'm no audiophile so I'm not terribly concerned and for my wife and kids I think it will still be a fun experience watching our movies down there. The sub is part of the budget unfortunately. I doubt I'll be getting it to reference level if that means as loud as being at a concert. I do want a nice boom but I don't want pictures to be falling off the walls either.

Thanks again guys for your input!

Last edited by gec5741; 11-20-2014 at 01:59 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can never go wrong by auditioning … well, not usually . And go back more than once before deciding. Often people do a 180 on the second audition (and often need a third audition). Also make sure whatever speakers you are listening to are level-matched (same volume level) to a competing speaker. Also realize that most of these big stores are horrible as far as acoustics are concerned.

But do take a serious look at Elihawk's suggestions. I own the R5Bi's and know how surprisingly good they are: Andrew Robinson review: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/
post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Thanks guys! Sorry forgot the room specs! The room is roughly 16X14. I wired it for 3 sub locations so I can at a later time add a second sub if I want to and I have some flexibility in were I put it. I was leaning toward Klipsch personally but I'm pretty green on speakers so good to know that they would fit the bill for sure. I guess I'll see when I get to the store and spend some time talking to the sales person. They are pretty good at ABT and have knowledgeable people from my experience of purchasing from them. The place is huge and it's high end stuff. It's not like a best buy really. Not trying to knock best buy though.
When you are at ABT - check out the Definitive Tech speakers

----------------
Who AM I
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 343
$2k for speakers including subwoofer is a healthy budget and then you had to say you like Klipsch speakers. The only one's worth getting at a minimum are that true reference line. Those would eat into your subwoofer budget.

My first thought when you said you wanted Klipsch went to the HSU Hybrid packages with the HSU HB-1 Mk2's.

In your 2k speaker and subwoofer budget you can get HSU Hybrid 3 HP 5.1 package or even the 7.1 setup slightly over your budget. The HSU Hybrid 15 5.1 is within your budget. Just my thoughts.

Your room is looking great in terms of the build. With a build like that I would assume you weren't a newbie to speakers.

Last edited by crazyrob425; 11-20-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
$2k for speakers including subwoofer is a healthy budget and then you had to say you like Klipsch speakers. The only one's worth getting at a minimum are that true reference line. Those would eat into your subwoofer budget.

My first thought when you said you wanted Klipsch went to the HSU Hybrid packages with the HSU HB-1 Mk2's.

In your 2k speaker and subwoofer budget you can get HSU Hybrid 3 HP 5.1 package or even the 7.1 setup slightly over your budget. The HSU Hybrid 15 5.1 is within your budget. Just my thoughts.

Your room is looking great in terms of the build. With a build like that I would assume you weren't a newbie to speakers.
Even though the Hsu speakers have some design similarities to the the Klipsch speakers, they don't really sound the same. The treble on Klipsch is voiced quite a bit hotter. The Hsu speakers are very good though, and I also like the Klipsch Reference line but I am not sure how how long I could live with speakers where the highs are so amped up. I think that Hsu Hybrid 3 HP package is killer, you can't go wrong there, and the sub will be the very best at its price point, same with the Hybrid 15 with the VTF15h mk2 sub. Absolutely killer subwoofer.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-21-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm wondering if this bundle would be worth looking at? Looks like I could get center, 2 floor standing, and the rear surounds for around my budget. I'd of course need to still buy a sub for what around the 500 mark? I could then use my older JBL bookshelf speakers for my side surrounds and some day maybe upgrade them. Not sure if these are any good though? Zieglj01 recommended taking a look at this brand. they are the Definitive Technology ones.

http://www.abt.com/product/49219/Def...-CS8040HD.html

Last edited by gec5741; 11-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-21-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've auditioned the Hsu HB-1 (not sure if they were Mk2). I auditioned them (and their center channel) when I was auditioning their ULS-15 subwoofer at their facility. Personally, I'm not a fan of horn speakers, however, the HB-1s weren't harsh or overly bright. I thought they produce surprising sound for their size. And while I was pleasantly surprised and liked them more than I original thought I would, they weren't what I was looking for. Perhaps, if I had taken them home for an audition and given them more time, I might have appreciated them more. But just because they weren't right for me, doesn't mean that they may not be right for you. They are a high-quality speaker for a very reasonable price.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-01-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guy's figured I should come back here and update my descision on speakers. First off I appreciate all the advice you guy's game me! I ended up going with the Definitive Technologies bundle deal at ABT. http://www.abt.com/product/49208/Def...-BP8040ST.html

Basically I got the DT supertower BP-8040ST's The matching center and got the rear surrounds for free. I'm going to go with my JBL's for side surrounds for now. I also picked up a Klipsch 12" Black Powered Subwoofer - R-112SW http://www.abt.com/product/86391/Klipsch-R112SW.html

I grabbed an Onkyo tx-nr737 to power it all. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting while watching movies! Thanks again!
post #13 of 13 Old 12-01-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Congratulations and enjoy!

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page