Just picked up the Klipsch R-28F's.....review in progress..... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkami712 View Post
I'm not even going to claim one way or the other the sound difference between the R-28F and the RF-82 II's. If you think about it from a simple marketing standpoint, Klipsch wouldn't allow the rebranded reference line to be discounted half off if they believed they sounded the same if not better than the reference II line. That would basically kill their market base for the II line and ruin their profits. Somehow I don't think Klipsch is that dumb.


The reference II line has nicer crossovers, titanium instead of aluminum tweeters, and they are typically heavier which is nearly always a good sign when comparing apples to apples. The woofers are also cerametallic instead of the inferior IMG composite.


I don't want to make any assumptions, but I'm willing to guess that the people who truly believe the R-28F is superior to the RF-82 II aren't listening in ideal conditions, i.e. volume, signal quality, room acoustics. YMMV, just my .02
No, Klipsch is not dumb, did you ever think the sales for the RF II line has slowed down, have you noticed the 20% holiday promotion? I agree, Klipsch doesn't want to kill their market base for the II line, that's where they make the money, because they are overpriced!!! Never said the R-28F's were better, just said they are getting closer. What do you know about cerametallic besides what Klipsch told you? Who told you titanium if better than aluminum? Does sound cool though.

How many people do you think have the ideal theater room with perfect acoustics? I'm guessing not many, so with the II's being a little better, most people will never notice it anyway. To be honest, if I had the perfect theatre setup, I wouldn't be using the RF-82II's anyway. Realistically, I think the Rf 82II is probably a $100 better speaker than the R-28F...$400 vs $300, which goes back to my original point, at this price range you are not going to see a huge difference in sound quality like some people are suggesting.
gpa33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 Old 12-05-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,225
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
No, Klipsch is not dumb, did you ever think the sales for the RF II line has slowed down, have you noticed the 20% holiday promotion? I agree, Klipsch doesn't want to kill their market base for the II line, that's where they make the money, because they are overpriced!!! Never said the R-28F's were better, just said they are getting closer. What do you know about cerametallic besides what Klipsch told you? Who told you titanium if better than aluminum? Does sound cool though.

How many people do you think have the ideal theater room with perfect acoustics? I'm guessing not many, so with the II's being a little better, most people will never notice it anyway. To be honest, if I had the perfect theatre setup, I wouldn't be using the RF-82II's anyway. Realistically, I think the Rf 82II is probably a $100 better speaker than the R-28F...$400 vs $300, which goes back to my original point, at this price range you are not going to see a huge difference in sound quality like some people are suggesting.
Klipsch are almost always on sale, especially for the holidays. Having a sale doesn't mean that sales are slowing down.

The new "Icon" line are a great value at the sale price. Probably unbeatable at that price.

Unless one listens to different speakers back to back in the same room it's nearly impossible to tell a difference. I'd wager that if you like the RF line you would like the new line as well. I'm sure they sound more similar than different. Otherwise they wouldn't be a Klipsch.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old 12-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
jaykay0222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkami712 View Post
I'm not even going to claim one way or the other the sound difference between the R-28F and the RF-82 II's. If you think about it from a simple marketing standpoint, Klipsch wouldn't allow the rebranded reference line to be discounted half off if they believed they sounded the same if not better than the reference II line. That would basically kill their market base for the II line and ruin their profits. Somehow I don't think Klipsch is that dumb.


The reference II line has nicer crossovers, titanium instead of aluminum tweeters, and they are typically heavier which is nearly always a good sign when comparing apples to apples. The woofers are also cerametallic instead of the inferior IMG composite.


I don't want to make any assumptions, but I'm willing to guess that the people who truly believe the R-28F is superior to the RF-82 II aren't listening in ideal conditions, i.e. volume, signal quality, room acoustics. YMMV, just my .02
Your post makes more sense

When Klipsch 'rebranded' their Icon line to R-XXF instead of traditional RF, there was a reason for it.

I own Icon and references line of speakers (52's and 82's). My RF-52ii sounded better than KF-28 on a side by side comparison (even though KF's are larger and compares to RF-82). I listened to R-28F at bestbuy, it definitely sounded better than Icon model; but nowhere close to RF-82 ii

Anyway everybody has their perspective and some of co-workers are very happy with Bose.

I would assume the owners of R-XXF speakers would be happy with their purchase especially for the sale price.
jaykay0222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 38 Old 12-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Klipsch are almost always on sale, especially for the holidays. Having a sale doesn't mean that sales are slowing down.

The new "Icon" line are a great value at the sale price. Probably unbeatable at that price.

Unless one listens to different speakers back to back in the same room it's nearly impossible to tell a difference. I'd wager that if you like the RF line you would like the new line as well. I'm sure they sound more similar than different. Otherwise they wouldn't be a Klipsch.
I agree, I mean how much different could they really be. If they were a different brand or much bigger gap in price, then maybe. Got them on sale to hold me over until the new III's come out. If the III's are more than just cosmetic changes to the II's, I will sell the R-28F's for $300 for the pair, and get the III's.
Just thinkin, would Klipsch take a chance on hurting their name by selling a crappy pair of speakers at bestbuy? Doubt it, they have a certain sound they have to live up to. Take it for what it is, but I don't think I've ever heard a bad review for Icons, synergy, or the new reference lines, all those people don't know what to listen for?
gpa33 is offline  
post #35 of 38 Old 12-06-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post

The reason they UPGRADED the Icon line is, they are now part of the reference line, there will be at least one more tier coming out in 2015. You guys need to get over it, they are reference speakers!!! I think Klipsch knows a little more about speakers than you guys. It makes sense to have one line with different tiers.
Here's all your answers...
http://www.klipsch.com/pressreleases...-press-release

Klipsch has made good speakers at several different price points and evidently these are no exception....That said, it may be more appropriate to say that Klipsch DISCONTINUED the Icon line and consolidated it with the Reference line which does make sense...{EDIT: Keep in mind Klipsch parent company, Audiovoxx owns several speaker companies}

Insofar as the debate on how much of an upgrade the RF-82IIs are than the R-28Fs it will definitely be ones individual decision on what they want to spend and the discount they receive--Budget and expectation matters.

For the record, I posted earlier in the thread a 'review' that seemed incredible to me and will say the Klipsch original RF-7/RC-7/RB-75s are definitely an "upgrade" to the speakers mentioned in this thread and if found in the used market should be a great bang-for-your-buck! That said, the current upper-end models have a good reputation and it will be interesting to see what Klipsch does with those and if they venture into Dolby Atmos speakers. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 12-06-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #36 of 38 Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
You don't think $225 is a good deal for the R-28F's? But $600 for the RF-82II's is about right? Did you ever think the Rf II's are overpriced, and your paying for the name reference? It really works both ways, whatever scam you think they are pulling with the new reference line, was probably used for the original reference line too, you have to admit, Reference is pretty catchy isn't it?

You said..."What better way that to take a cabinet design, drivers, etc that you already have or have designed and slightly redo them while calling it something else?"
Hmmm, kind of what Klipsch did going from the original reference line to the reference II line. Wish you could hear the R-28F's, you might change your mind.
I can afford the Rf-82II's, but always heard the Icons were pretty close, so I picked these up for cheap and was surprised how good they sound. I know the III's are coming out soon, if they are better than the II's, maybe I will get those down the road.
...I haven't said anything on price. That's because that is strictly up to the buyer. Are the R-28's good enough or are the RF-82's worth the extra money? Well, that depends on who you talk to, what they're budget is, etc. If this was the case then no company would make any speakers other than 1 line, which they would try to get priced as low as possible. Whoever can make a $0.01 speaker wins. Sure there's a possibility and likelihood that it won't be as good as 'most' of the more expensive speakers in that companies & other companies line, but it's not worth it right to pay more if you only get a little better sound right? That's fine if someone, you, whoever is happy with their purchase and spent less. That's great! Enjoy them! You don't have to justify your purchase if you're truly happy with them. They're for you...no one else.

Again, it's impossible to say what's 'overpriced' as that comes down to the individual purchasing the item. With Klipsch, you're paying for A LOT of marketing, R&D, etc I'd assume. If you're paying for it in the RF-II line, you're going to pay for it in the other lines also. They're not going to get 30% return on the RFII and then break even on the new reference. That's just stupid and no company would ever do that. If they did, they wouldn't be in business for long.

Klipsch going from Reference I to Reference II wasn't a new thing....it was an evolution in the previous speaker. I mean they didn't even change the name for christ sake. The 'new' reference line looks EXACTLY like the Icon, but with a different veneer and copper colored drivers. They know the Reference line is far more known and wanted than the Icon. What better way to increase profit margins! That's another reason why I said measurements AND pictures of the drivers, crossovers, etc will show if it's the same as the Icon and how it compares on that level with the upper tier Reference II's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
No, Klipsch is not dumb, did you ever think the sales for the RF II line has slowed down, have you noticed the 20% holiday promotion? I agree, Klipsch doesn't want to kill their market base for the II line, that's where they make the money, because they are overpriced!!! Never said the R-28F's were better, just said they are getting closer. What do you know about cerametallic besides what Klipsch told you? Who told you titanium if better than aluminum? Does sound cool though.

How many people do you think have the ideal theater room with perfect acoustics? I'm guessing not many, so with the II's being a little better, most people will never notice it anyway. To be honest, if I had the perfect theatre setup, I wouldn't be using the RF-82II's anyway. Realistically, I think the Rf 82II is probably a $100 better speaker than the R-28F...$400 vs $300, which goes back to my original point, at this price range you are not going to see a huge difference in sound quality like some people are suggesting.

Again, overpriced is subjective also. You see huge mark downs in every Klipsch line...because you're paying for a lot more than just the speaker itself.

If you think the R-28F is close enough to the RF-II line (and you've heard both instead of speculation) then that's great for you! Your ears just saved you money. Someone else might feel they're not even close though. Once again, graphs, pictures, etc help here too.

Ti vs. Al? Well, what are they using in their RF-I, RF-II, RF-7, RF-7 II.......they would likely use what's best for them in their best speaker don't ya think...

Your second paragraph just tells me you're trying to justify your purchase. 'You think' the RF-82II is 'probably' a $100 better speaker? SOUND IS SUBJECTIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
I agree, I mean how much different could they really be. If they were a different brand or much bigger gap in price, then maybe. Got them on sale to hold me over until the new III's come out. If the III's are more than just cosmetic changes to the II's, I will sell the R-28F's for $300 for the pair, and get the III's.
Just thinkin, would Klipsch take a chance on hurting their name by selling a crappy pair of speakers at bestbuy? Doubt it, they have a certain sound they have to live up to. Take it for what it is, but I don't think I've ever heard a bad review for Icons, synergy, or the new reference lines, all those people don't know what to listen for?
So you'll get the III's if there are more than just cosmetic changes, but the Icon to R-xxF line is basically cosmetic (and barely anything at that) and it's an okay purchase?

Klipsch doesn't care about hurting their name. They've already made their name. They have to make speakers for different budgets. That's it. They DO sell crappy speakers and for quite a bit more than they should be. That's why ID vs. B&M is usually in favor of the ID brand by a good margin.

Currently Auditioning: Klipsch RP-150M
SOLD: EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
ousooner2 is offline  
post #37 of 38 Old 12-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
cbatc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 50
They RF82iis are great speakers. If you're paying $600 a speaker, I'd suggest you call one of these online companies. They're probably averaging about $450 each including tax and shipping. If you like the new line from Best Buy, that's cool. I started out about 5 years with the first Icon line. The VF36s as fronts, VC25 as center, VF35 towers as rears, and Sub12. I picked them up on black friday and loved them for 5 years.. A couple of months ago i picked up the RF82ii and RC62ii. I didn't pay anywhere near sticker. Some people that came over couldn't hear the difference, but I could. As long as you're happy with the deal you got, that's all that matters.
cbatc is offline  
post #38 of 38 Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 17,394
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 4661
Posts that were off-topic, insulting, bickering or quoting any of those have been removed. As that's over half of the thread, I'm closing it.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off