Just picked up the Klipsch R-28F's.....review in progress..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 38 Old 11-28-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Cool Just picked up the Klipsch R-28F's.....review in progress.....

So far they are awesome, very dynamic, solid bass performance, Stunning clarity and very smooth, much smoother than my old klipsch f3's i had back in the day. So far I'm very impressed with these for $450. The build quality also seems to be a step up over the old f3's i had and I love the new brushed black polymer veneer cabinet. One thing I have noticed about these is they seem to be alot less bright than my old f3's were, with a much more neutral sound balance. Got about 5 hours on them so. Great speakers. To anyone out there on the fence about these, don't hesitate they are a absolute steal at this price. I will have a full review soon.......

Last edited by The Murderousone; 11-28-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-28-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Glad to hear you u like your new speakers. I just bought a LCR set of Jr noesis 228 and I'm absolutely thrilled with them.
I love getting new audio equitment and doing reviews also, I think its important to do reviews when possible. If it wasn't for all the reviews here I never would have ended up with all the amazing sound equitment I have today.

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
post #3 of 38 Old 11-28-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 179
They look like a rebadged Icon to me. The center channel looks IDENTICAL to the KC-25. Heck, the new one is called the R-25C or something like that isn't it? Klipsch said there are new design elements in this 'reference' line (lol), but you have to wonder what is just marketing talk. I can't find pictures of the drivers or x-over of each, but to me it looks like they just took the Icon and made the drivers copper colored and put on a different veneer. Marketing genius as it's making people go nuts over a product they couldn't sell in the first place most likely. I could be wrong and these could be somewhat different, but it makes sense from a business standpoint to call them 'reference' like their higher line and make the cones the same color. If the Icon's are cheaper, that might be the real deal

Currently Auditioning: Klipsch RP-150M
SOLD: EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 11-28-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
They look like a rebadged Icon to me. The center channel looks IDENTICAL to the KC-25. Heck, the new one is called the R-25C or something like that isn't it? Klipsch said there are new design elements in this 'reference' line (lol), but you have to wonder what is just marketing talk. I can't find pictures of the drivers or x-over of each, but to me it looks like they just took the Icon and made the drivers copper colored and put on a different veneer. Marketing genius as it's making people go nuts over a product they couldn't sell in the first place most likely. I could be wrong and these could be somewhat different, but it makes sense from a business standpoint to call them 'reference' like their higher line and make the cones the same color. If the Icon's are cheaper, that might be the real deal
They do look alot like he icons, unfortunately, I have not heard the icon's so I can't make a direct comparison. However I can say for sure they are a big step up over my older Klipsch f3's and they sound flat out awesome, i can't wait to put these up against the R55ti's when they get shipped to me in a couple weeks.........
post #5 of 38 Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picked up R-28F's too with R15M book shelf

I also picked up R-28F's with R15M bookshelfs. Waiting for Sub 10-SW and Center R-25C.
So far loving the towers! Building my first home theater!
post #6 of 38 Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpe View Post
I also picked up R-28F's with R15M bookshelfs. Waiting for Sub 10-SW and Center R-25C.
So far loving the towers! Building my first home theater!
Good to hear man.....yeah i wished the would of put the whole set on sale lol
post #7 of 38 Old 11-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I have a pair of mint RF3 ii I paid $150.00 for both from a coworker. Do you guys think the R28's from BestBuy would be a worthy upgrade? They are half price now which is tempting! THX
post #8 of 38 Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingramba View Post
I have a pair of mint RF3 ii I paid $150.00 for both from a coworker. Do you guys think the R28's from BestBuy would be a worthy upgrade? They are half price now which is tempting! THX

Yes as a owner of the F3 & i heard the R28 it's a step up but in my opinion not a giant step....But for the price it's a great deal.
ingramba likes this.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #9 of 38 Old 11-30-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes they would be. They are going to be alot less bright and perform better across the board. At this price i would pull the trigger, the worst thing that could happen is you don't like them which then you could return them and get a full refund. However if you do buy them, you won't be returning them. Not only have i been very impressed with them every one that has stopped for a listen has been also.
ingramba likes this.
post #10 of 38 Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Yea, the brightness has always bugged me with my older ears. I'll be driving them with my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver. I'm using a Klipsch RC-42ii Reference Center with a pair of Fluance Bi-Polar surrounds. I'm in a medium sized bedroom aka, Man-Cave! I think you guys helped me make up my mind, after all I can return them within 45 days if need be, not likely tho! Thx again, Bill.

Update: I picked up a pair of these bad boys today! So far, they sound lovely without the harshness I was hearing from my 10year old RF3 ii's (still great speakers). Not sure if there is a break in period so I'm playing lite rock/pop thru them at low-medium volume. I think I will name them Cheech & Chong!

Last edited by ingramba; 12-01-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Update post
post #11 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
So far they are awesome, very dynamic, solid bass performance, Stunning clarity and very smooth, much smoother than my old klipsch f3's i had back in the day. So far I'm very impressed with these for $450. The build quality also seems to be a step up over the old f3's i had and I love the new brushed black polymer veneer cabinet. One thing I have noticed about these is they seem to be alot less bright than my old f3's were, with a much more neutral sound balance. Got about 5 hours on them so. Great speakers. To anyone out there on the fence about these, don't hesitate they are a absolute steal at this price. I will have a full review soon.......
Are your old speakers the synergy f-3's or the reference rf-3II's? Do you think the new R-25C center that goes with the R-28F's is big enough? Would I be able to use the RC-62II center with the R-28F's? Not sure about the voice or timbre matching.
Thanks
post #12 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yea, the brightness has always bugged me with my older ears. I'll be driving them with my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver. I'm using a Klipsch RC-42ii Reference Center with a pair of Fluance Bi-Polar surrounds. I'm in a medium sized bedroom aka, Man-Cave! I think you guys helped me make up my mind, after all I can return them within 45 days if need be, not likely tho! Thx again, Bill.

Update: I picked up a pair of these bad boys today! So far, they sound lovely without the harshness I was hearing from my 10year old RF3 ii's (still great speakers). Not sure if there is a break in period so I'm playing lite rock/pop thru them at low-medium volume. I think I will name them Cheech & Chong!
How do the R-28F's sound with the RC-42ii center you have? I was wondering if the voice or timbre is matched with these? I'm thinking about getting the RC-62ii with those.
post #13 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
Are your old speakers the synergy f-3's or the reference rf-3II's? Do you think the new R-25C center that goes with the R-28F's is big enough? Would I be able to use the RC-62II center with the R-28F's? Not sure about the voice or timbre matching.
Thanks
They were the synergy f3's, I don't own the R-25C but i have heard it and i do think it does a good job of blending with the towers. As far as the RC-62II is concerned, I'm not sure if it is a good match....you would have to buy the 28's and test for your self........
post #14 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Glad to hear man. Yeah that was the big thing that struck me was how much more neutral and less bright these were compared to the older F3/RF3's. These speakers at half price are an amazing value..........
post #15 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A buddy that's stays out of town and own's the RF-82's stopped by and said this yesterday......... "The R-28F's sounds smoother, less bright and more pleasant to my ears than my RF-82 II's"
post #16 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We'll never know until someone gets some measurements...

FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
post #17 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
We'll never know until someone gets some measurements...
Or until more people actually start listening to the speaker...................
post #18 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review!
post #19 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent write up by the way!
post #20 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiks View Post
Thanks for the review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiks View Post
Excellent write up by the way!
Thanks man I appreciate it.
post #21 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Or until more people actually start listening to the speaker...................
Agree 100%!!! Everybody is so quick to say how the RF-82II's are so much better and these are junk without listening to them. Guess they don't want to believe that speakers costing alot less than what they paid sound just as good. It's almost like the whole "Look what I got" thing is more important. I'm going to put the 500 bucks I saved on the towers toward an SVS PB-2000!!
post #22 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A buddy that's stays out of town and own's the RF-82's stopped by and said this yesterday......... "The R-28F's sounds smoother, less bright and more pleasant to my ears than my RF-82 II's"

Well i will know more by this weekend because i just upgraded to the RF-82 II(order them Monday) & I owned a pair of the R-28 but took them back. Because i thought they wasn't that big of a step up from my F30....

Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
post #23 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Well i will know more by this weekend because i just upgraded to the RF-82 II(order them Monday) & I owned a pair of the R-28 but took them back. Because i thought they wasn't that big of a step up from my F30....
Should the R-28F's be a big step up from the F30's? Let's face it, all these speakers are very similar, not too much of a price difference unless they are on sale, and made by the same company and in China. I'll be shocked if you say the RF-82 II's are a big step up from the R-28F's.
post #24 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Should the R-28F's be a big step up from the F30's? Let's face it, all these speakers are very similar, not too much of a price difference unless they are on sale, and made by the same company and in China. I'll be shocked if you say the RF-82 II's are a big step up from the R-28F's.
If you want to see something really shocking check this out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcrisp27 View Post
You guys aren't as fun as some other forums....but all joking aside I am actually a klipsch owner and I've rebuilt/copied several heritage series models from the mid to late 70's including but not limited to the klipschorns. That being said, I do give a thumbs up recommendation for the new r-28f and the the r-12sw subwoofer. I actually got a chance to compare the r-28f/r-12sw combo side by side with a set of 76' la scalas and a pair of 90' klipschorns in a very small playhouse auditorium in highlands,nc. All pairs were bi amped with qsc amplifiers for the horns and crown amps for the woofers. I was actually surprised at how little the difference was, sound stage wise, between the new reference combo and the ol heritage sluggers. Even the chamber quarter that plays there every week could tell only subtle differences. I think that is a lot to be said about them, for what it's worth.
post #25 of 38 Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No the R-28F shouldn't be a big step up because they are Klipsch synergy speakers just made to look like Reference speakers..So i took them back.....But when you talking about Klipsch Reference vs Synergy it not even close.... Not all speakers are made the same just visit the Klipsch speakers tread.....When it comes to speakers you buy what you pay for.

post #26 of 38 Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3528
i had klipsche reference RF3II's and they were like glass stabbing you in the eardrum...
thoma226 likes this.
post #27 of 38 Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
i had klipsche reference RF3II's and they were like glass stabbing you in the eardrum...

I had RF-3s/RC-3 as a front soundstage and they sounded nice and then used the towers as side surrounds with RF-7s/RC-7 up front and it became sublime.

That said, I understand that a few folks don't seem to like their sound, but of course many do so it definitely is a preference thing coupled with environmental factors (i.e., room and settings).
post #28 of 38 Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i can't wait to put these up against the R55ti's when they get shipped to me in a couple weeks.........
That's going to be a BIG difference in sound. One has a soundstage that's in your face, a lot of top and bottom end (the dreaded boom and sizzle) and likely less(er) midrange performance. The r55's are very neutral, wide soundstage also, don't dig deep on the low end, but do it cleanly instead of bloated and exaggerated. Midrange is spot on. If you like a slightly hotter treble and you have decent DSP in your AVR or stand-alone (MultEQ XT/XT32, etc) then run the r55's with it on. Unless your room is treated or an echo chamber, you might get a little boost on the top end

Different strokes for different folks. One might be better for what you prefer to listen to and that's okay! That's a great thing about this hobby. There's usually something for everyone Take your time in auditioning though

Last edited by ousooner2; 12-04-2014 at 12:41 PM.
post #29 of 38 Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's going to be a BIG difference in sound. One has a soundstage that's in your face, a lot of top and bottom end (the dreaded boom and sizzle) and likely less(er) midrange performance. The r55's are very neutral, wide soundstage also, don't dig deep on the low end, but do it cleanly instead of bloated and exaggerated. Midrange is spot on. If you like a slightly hotter treble and you have decent DSP in your AVR or stand-alone (MultEQ XT/XT32, etc) then run the r55's with it on. Unless your room is treated or an echo chamber, you might get a little boost on the top end

Different strokes for different folks. One might be better for what you prefer to listen to and that's okay! That's a great thing about this hobby. There's usually something for everyone Take your time in auditioning though
Yes i am aware, I own the r5bi bookshelfs so i know it's a big sound difference. Thanks for the EQ advice, I appreciate it. I look forward to the comparison.
post #30 of 38 Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I'm not even going to claim one way or the other the sound difference between the R-28F and the RF-82 II's. If you think about it from a simple marketing standpoint, Klipsch wouldn't allow the rebranded reference line to be discounted half off if they believed they sounded the same if not better than the reference II line. That would basically kill their market base for the II line and ruin their profits. Somehow I don't think Klipsch is that dumb.

The reference II line has nicer crossovers, titanium instead of aluminum tweeters, and they are typically heavier which is nearly always a good sign when comparing apples to apples. The woofers are also cerametallic instead of the inferior IMG composite.

I don't want to make any assumptions, but I'm willing to guess that the people who truly believe the R-28F is superior to the RF-82 II aren't listening in ideal conditions, i.e. volume, signal quality, room acoustics. YMMV, just my .02
ousooner2 and Nexgen76 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page