R/L upgrade for $1400 (pair) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
So you think they could fill a potentially large room? That would be my concern.
Depends on what you mean by fill and how large a room and with what material, lots of variables in that question. I use my Sierra-1s in a 7.3 setup (170s as surrounds, 200s as rear surrounds) in a room about 4500cuft and together they do quite well at filling my room; even as just a stereo pair they do very well. I listen to movies and music fairly loud, usually for movies in the range of -20 to -10 dB from reference level, and sometimes up to reference level but that can be pushing things depending on material....what kind of spl levels are you thinking about?
lovinthehd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 Old 12-07-2014, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kwell88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Depends on what you mean by fill and how large a room and with what material, lots of variables in that question. I use my Sierra-1s in a 7.3 setup (170s as surrounds, 200s as rear surrounds) in a room about 4500cuft and together they do quite well at filling my room; even as just a stereo pair they do very well. I listen to movies and music fairly loud, usually for movies in the range of -20 to -10 dB from reference level, and sometimes up to reference level but that can be pushing things depending on material....what kind of spl levels are you thinking about?
Well, that is the issue I don't know potential room size. As far as volume, I very rarely turn it up to reference levels. I guess I can always add another svs sub if it's a big room...
lovinthehd likes this.
kwell88 is offline  
post #33 of 43 Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
There are stands that have hollow spaces you can fill with sand, and with some blu-tac holding the speaker to the stand, I would think would be as steady as a tower of similar dimensions. I don't have kids or dogs so not a worry for me....
lovinthehd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 43 Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kwell88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
There are stands that have hollow spaces you can fill with sand, and with some blu-tac holding the speaker to the stand, I would think would be as steady as a tower of similar dimensions. I don't have kids or dogs so not a worry for me....
I have seen these stand honestly unless it is made of brick and bolted to the floor if my puppy runs into it, it's going over... that would probably be the case with floor standing speakers also. I am really leaning towards the Sierra 2, I just wanted to look at all my options.
kwell88 is offline  
post #35 of 43 Old 12-08-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,600
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
The only dimension you need to worry about with speakers is listening distance. Typically people are 10-15 feet from their TV, and for most speakers this is appropriate. Bookshelves shouldn't have much problem filling a room with sound, you aren't going to be hitting reference at 25 feet away, but it should work fine for background music.

Subwoofers however require a room volume, just to clarify.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #36 of 43 Old 12-08-2014, 11:24 AM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
I have seen these stand honestly unless it is made of brick and bolted to the floor if my puppy runs into it, it's going over... that would probably be the case with floor standing speakers also. I am really leaning towards the Sierra 2, I just wanted to look at all my options.
Yeah if your puppy is 50 (or 80 !) lbs and allowed inside the room, that could be an issue I had a girlfriend with a rambunctious 100 lb lab could wreck a room with enthusiasm and little effort....
lovinthehd is offline  
post #37 of 43 Old 12-08-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kwell88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Yeah if your puppy is 50 (or 80 !) lbs and allowed inside the room, that could be an issue I had a girlfriend with a rambunctious 100 lb lab could wreck a room with enthusiasm and little effort....
This little fella is a mastiff/Rottweiler mix. He is usually pretty well behaved but if the two of them start wrestling, they can do some major damage. Oh well...
kwell88 is offline  
post #38 of 43 Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Member
 
smarcus3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
No matter what you need to addition speakers for yourself. I myself hate the horn loaded Klipsch tweeter; however, tons of people really like it. I find it very hot, crackly and un-natural creating a narrow soundstage.

Floorstanders are king IMO, but are large and difficult to get the wife's approval. Better to have a lower crossover point on the subs. Listen to some stuff and make a decision. The toughest part is determining your budget.

Good luck.

---------
My Home Theater
smarcus3 is offline  
post #39 of 43 Old 12-29-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kwell88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post
If you have to listen before buying you might try Hawthorne Stereo in Seattle. They have both new and used speakers. You can negotiate with them on their prices.
http://www.hawthornestereo.com/used/
Don't be afraid of buying used. Most speakers will last 30+ years. There's also SpeakerLab in Seattle http://www.speakerlab.com/ and Definitive in Seattle and Bellevue. http://www.definitive.com/ .
Very glad you pointed me to Hawthorn Stereo. They had a 20% sale for the holidays. I picked up a pair of Aperion floor standers for $500.
XStanleyX likes this.
kwell88 is offline  
post #40 of 43 Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
Very glad you pointed me to Hawthorn Stereo. They had a 20% sale for the holidays. I picked up a pair of Aperion floor standers for $500.

I was going to mention that I was not aware aperion sold speakers in a store.
So I check the link and realise they were trade-in.


So first welcome to the aperion family and what model and finish did you got for your towers?
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
I personally have the Verus Grand tower in black gloss.


Lots of nice speaker were recommended but for $500 for towers, I would say you got yourself a very good deal.


Ray
2liter likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 12-30-2014 at 11:13 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #41 of 43 Old 12-31-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kwell88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I was going to mention that I was not aware aperion sold speakers in a store.
So I check the link and realise they were trade-in.


So first welcome to the aperion family and what model and finish did you got for your towers?
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
I personally have the Verus Grand tower in black gloss.


Lots of nice speaker were recommended but for $500 for towers, I would say you got yourself a very good deal.


Ray
They are the Intimus Series, with a wood finish. I know they are probably not as detailed as the Sierra 2 but, for about 1000 less I think they sound pretty dang good. Not to mention my wife picked them out of a room so the WAF is high. Thanks for all the help.
2liter likes this.
kwell88 is offline  
post #42 of 43 Old 12-31-2014, 07:02 AM
Member
 
tb151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'd humbly suggest you listen to the Kef LS-50's. Theres a thread dedicated to these speakers here on AVS. I went and listened to alot of the speakers mentioned here. For me, hearing the LS-50's was like getting punched in the gut. I felt sick, like I've wasted my life listening to music in a way that was not intended. They list for $1,500 but you can often get them for $1,300 or used for less.
tb151 is offline  
post #43 of 43 Old 12-31-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwell88 View Post
They are the Intimus Series, with a wood finish. I know they are probably not as detailed as the Sierra 2 but, for about 1000 less I think they sound pretty dang good. Not to mention my wife picked them out of a room so the WAF is high. Thanks for all the help.

As you saw you did got lots of very good recommendation from many members about lots of speakers from different manufacture.


You wife picked them out of the room , that is a big + on the WAF.
Happy wife=happy you.


The other big bonus is the price you paid, on sell right now for $400ea and the normal price is $550
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
So you just save a bunch of money ($300-600 for the pair) and that is always good.
You got lucky by finding these in a store since I know from experience they don't give much on trade-in and some people don't want to be bother to sell them on their own.


The Intimus serie as a good following on the aperion tread on this forum.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...on-thread.html (234pg between all models)

On the first link, 19 customer took the time to review them and got an average of 5 out of 5.
There is also 5 pro review to look at.


I will assume that you did listen to them in the store and like the way they sounded, How about in your own place?
Still happy?
Remember to be honest as this is AVS and lots of people like You and I depend on honest opinion from all members to make an educated decision on whatever the subject is.


At the end, I think you will very happy with your purchase
Happy listening and Happy new Year


Ray
2liter likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 12-31-2014 at 06:10 PM.
darthray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off