Best small, active speakers under £600 ($1000?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2014, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Best small, active speakers under £600 ($1000?)

Hi there,

This is my first post so please bear with me.

I currently have a pair of Adam A3X speakers and they aren't filling my audio needs. They just don't have that 'life' I am looking for although I do love how detailed they can be and their stereo imaging.

They have to be active. I just want some speakers that I can RCA straight into my sub which goes into my pc like I currently have set up now.

I already have a subwoofer so I don't want speakers that have loads of bass as I love my sub and want to keep it and get good use out of it.

The dimensions I am looking for can be no deeper than 25cm but can go up to 40cm in height (I know this is a rare size as most speakers of this size aren't this shallow)

The £600 is my absolute limit, I would rather spend a little less and I am looking to buy used.

Also ideally front ported speakers as I do have one of them in a corner (I know it's a pain but unfortunately cannot do much about this)

My criterion for speakers are ones that are super exciting and the sort of thing the average person will hear and be wowed. The reason for selling my Adam A3X speakers (or rather currently have up for sale) is that the mids sound slightly recessed somewhere in the spectrum? (I like my mids) and just overall I don't enjoy for them for reasons I am not fully certain of. They just don't excite me at all. They sound very good but boring if that makes sense. They also get a bit harsh at high volumes and if I turn the tweeter db down they then sound boring at low volumes. Sometimes they can get a bit boomy with the slightly overcompensated low end due to the small size of them but it's not too noticeable.

I listen to literally every genre of music unfortunately but I guess it would mainly be Metal, Pop and Electronic.

I mainly listen at low to medium volumes but do get to crank them every so often.

I own both Sennheiser HD595 (a bit too bass light for me nowadays) and HD800. (which still sound phenomenal)

I have never owned any bookshelf speakers and have only ever owned monitors so I am looking for your help on this one. Apologies for the tedious and super picky sounding post.

I'm not as picky as you think I swear.... but in all seriousness, I prefer my friend's old Sony Micro Hi-Fi system which honestly I thought sounded great for what it was.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-06-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The obvious upgrade to A3X would be EVE SC205.

However, if you don't like the sound of mid range active studio monitors then it doesn't make any sense to spend even more money on another pair of active studio monitors as they will inevitably sound even more like accurate studio monitors than what you already have.

Save yourself some money and get pair of KRK RP6 G3 or something similar from the likes of M-Audio. Maybe even some hi-fi speakers and a little amp.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been looking around all day at what my best bet is and it is definitely a Hifi system with an amp as there doesn't appear to be many active Hifi speakers.

I really want the B&W 685 as I remember listening to them a long time ago and they sounded really nice however they are just too deep for my desk. Well.. they would only be about 2 feet away from me when I sit back and a fair bit closer when I pull my chair in to use my keyboard etc. I'm trying to convince myself that this is okay, but I really don't think it is lol.

Please bear with me as I have no idea how to connect an amp to passive speakers and set it all up as I have an Active Subwoofer.

I'm gonna look around for good hifi alternatives then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
active , fun , small , speakers , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page