Official Raidho/Scansonic Thread: - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 926Likes

post #61 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Did he get his yet?
No

All The Music In The World > NAD C658 > Dynaudio Excite X14As
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
If considering HT you may want to think about the MB 3.5's.

Also I can't stress this enough. Make sure they are broken in before making any judgement of sound quality. They are good out of the box but a lot better after broken in.
Why the 3.5s? I have a sub and my room is on the small side.
post #63 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
No
Wow he has been waiting a loooong time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Why the 3.5s? I have a sub and my room is on the small side.
Then never mind I didn't realize you had a sub
post #65 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Wow he has been waiting a loooong time
I don't think KEF expected, this kind of demand. But people LOVE that Uni-Q...and for good reason.

You take it, and mate a dedicated woofer; you have a dynamite 3-way stand-mount! I'm telling you...if I had $2k to spend on a pair of speakers, that I had to live with...for the rest of my days. Right now...it would be R-300s.

Luckily, I have more than $2k to spend So I'm hoping the Ref 1s, will be that much better!

post #66 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I don't think KEF expected, this kind of demand. But people LOVE that Uni-Q...and for good reason.

You take it, and mate a dedicated woofer; you have a dynamite 3-way stand-mount! I'm telling you...if I had $2k to spend on a pair of speakers, that I had to live with...for the rest of my days. Right now...it would be R-300s.

Luckily, I have more than $2k to spend So I'm hoping the Ref 1s, will be that much better!
Are there any comparisons between the 201/1 and the new Reference books? I know 201/1 very well and could offer comparison with Raidho and my current speakers, but I don't know if that would be of any value. Personally I prefer the looks of the 201/1 compared to the new one.
post #67 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any indications of when a centre speaker may arrive for the MB series? Kind of a deal-breaker for me if it takes too long time
post #68 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendo View Post
Are there any comparisons between the 201/1 and the new Reference books? I know 201/1 very well and could offer comparison with Raidho and my current speakers, but I don't know if that would be of any value. Personally I prefer the looks of the 201/1 compared to the new one.
Yeah, I am going to go back and listen to Raidho for fun. I'm the guy with REF 1 on order. The dealer is a bit of a candy store and they carry Raidho as well but they are out of my budget so I did not try them. I was there for about 5 to 6 hours and stuck to Dynaudio (I've owned C1s before but not the latest) Dali and KEF. I needed to spend the time with speakers in my budget so Raidho did not come into play this time. I did spend some time with Blade and Reference 5. Nice! Crazy as it may be I think I liked the Reference 5 over Blade but did not spend enough time with either. My target was strictly monitors this go around..

Now that the decision is done and ordered I would love to go back and compare to Raidho and a couple of other brands he carries that are out of budget. This will really be a nice compare for fun. I bet the Raidhos are nice based on what I have read.

No experience with prior Reference series. I am the opposite of you. Felt the look was a bit too dated but I bet they sound great. I was locked into Dynaudio at that time and didn't stray too far away.

The new uni-q is frigging awesome. Very modern look to boot which is right up my alley. I have never heard a speaker image like these and even off center-amazing.

Maybe soon will try the Raidho with Naim . Get a taste of two new flavors I have not been exposed to. I will have to ask him about Scansonic. If he deals in Raidho I would expect this to be a logical inclusion..

I bet they are sweet (Raidho)

Rick
post #69 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Yeah, I am going to go back and listen to Raidho for fun. I'm the guy with REF 1 on order. The dealer is a bit of a candy store and they carry Raidho as well but they are out of my budget so I did not try them. I was there for about 5 to 6 hours and stuck to Dynaudio (I've owned C1s before but not the latest) Dali and KEF. I needed to spend the time with speakers in my budget so Raidho did not come into play this time. I did spend some time with Blade and Reference 5. Nice! Crazy as it may be I think I liked the Reference 5 over Blade but did not spend enough time with either. My target was strictly monitors this go around..

Now that the decision is done and ordered I would love to go back and compare to Raidho and a couple of other brands he carries that are out of budget. This will really be a nice compare for fun. I bet the Raidhos are nice based on what I have read.

No experience with prior Reference series. I am the opposite of you. Felt the look was a bit too dated but I bet they sound great. I was locked into Dynaudio at that time and didn't stray too far away.

The new uni-q is frigging awesome. Very modern look to boot which is right up my alley. I have never heard a speaker image like these and even off center-amazing.

Maybe soon will try the Raidho with Naim . Get a taste of two new flavors I have not been exposed to. I will have to ask him about Scansonic. If he deals in Raidho I would expect this to be a logical inclusion..

Rick
Hi Rick,
My current speakers are MicroOnes, but I do like the Raidho sound a lot, too. The MicroOnes are superior to my old 201/1 in every aspect, except for macro dynamics, since the KEFs could play louder without getting shouty. The KEFs normally need a very long burn-in time and I got them cheap second-hand, since the first owner gave up before he got 200 hours on them. I almost gave up on them, too, but after another additional 400 hours they really showed their full potential. I don't know about the new line, but the prior Reference books needed some real current and power to show what they were capable of. I loved them, but would have never bought them for the full price, since cost/benefit wasn't great, IMO. Maybe the new line is easier to drive. I'll look around and see if I can audition them around here.
BTW, C1s are great speakers, although they also like high power and current AFAIK. What Naim amplification do you have?
I'm curious about Scansonic since I want to move to small floorstanders, but definitely don't have the cash for anything like Raidho. My budget is somewhere around $4k-7k and I have a certain preference for ribbon tweeters, although I like the Plasma from Lansche and the Thiel 3.7 tweeter, too. HF extension above audible range has a wonderful smooth trickle down effect when done right.
Hope you'll be patient with the break-in time.
Best regards
Andre

SB Touch>Resolution Audio Cantata>Gryphon Diablo>Evolution Acoustics MicroOne
post #70 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Hi- I don't have Naim application. I have Simaudio 400M mono amps. Not worried about power/current in the least. I also auditioned with full Simaudio amp, pre and source. Sounded awesome.

The Naim comment was a play with the guys in this thread. Many are heavy Naim guys and I go Sim so was a play.

Antonio and I discussed. These Reference 1s had 100 to 150 hours on them. They sounded great and we both agree there. He thought a little more and would even get better. I was mighty impressed in their current state, obviously as I ordered them.

Not sure how they might compare to the prior series.
Now if they would aririve. It can all begin.

Rick

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 03-01-2015 at 01:05 PM.
post #71 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Hi- I don't have Naim application. I have Simaudio 400M mono amps. Not worried about power/current in the least. I also auditioned with full Simaudio amp, pre and source. Sounded awesome.

The Naim comment was a play with the guys in this thread. Many are heavy Naim guys and I go Sim so was a play.

Antonio and I discussed. These Reference 1s had 100 to 150 hours on them. They sounded great and we both agree there. He thought a little more and would even get better. I was mighty impressed in their current state, obviously as I ordered them.

Not sure how they might compare to the prior series.
Now if they would aririve. It can all begin.

Rick
I don't know your amps, but I admire Simaudio gear, especially source. Great stuff.
I'll probably audition the Scansonic in three weeks, since I want them to have some hours of break-in before I get to the audition.
Best of luck with the KEFs.

post #72 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweElite View Post
Is there any indications of when a centre speaker may arrive for the MB series? Kind of a deal-breaker for me if it takes too long time
There is one coming but it appears as though it will now be April or May instead of last month.
post #73 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. Still need some info on pricing and trade in. Also need some info on a center. I'm not sure I want to go strictly stereo.
SS, I listened to the 2.5 again today with more hours on them, all I can say is WOW!!!! These speakers are incredible, if you can pull the trigger on these you will not regret it!! I think the Mirages are on their way out to make room for the 2.5 and the center when it comes out. Unless I buy X3's or D3's
post #74 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post
SS, I listened to the 2.5 again today with more hours on them, all I can say is WOW!!!! These speakers are incredible, if you can pull the trigger on these you will not regret it!! I think the Mirages are on their way out to make room for the 2.5 and the center when it comes out. Unless I buy X3's or D3's
I just talked to Rhett and he said heard them again today too. He's echoing your statement. I'm very interested in them. Hoping a deal can be worked out.
post #75 of 2693 Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Hey; which of you Sim guys...knows where I can get a 380D?

post #76 of 2693 Old 03-02-2015, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive think ive nailed my choices down to mbl 3.5 or the Monitor Audio Gold 300. Any one heard both and can comment?
post #77 of 2693 Old 03-02-2015, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Rick,
My current speakers are MicroOnes, but I do like the Raidho sound a lot, too. The MicroOnes are superior to my old 201/1 in every aspect, except for macro dynamics, since the KEFs could play louder without getting shouty. The KEFs normally need a very long burn-in time and I got them cheap second-hand, since the first owner gave up before he got 200 hours on them. I almost gave up on them, too, but after another additional 400 hours they really showed their full potential. I don't know about the new line, but the prior Reference books needed some real current and power to show what they were capable of. I loved them, but would have never bought them for the full price, since cost/benefit wasn't great, IMO. Maybe the new line is easier to drive. I'll look around and see if I can audition them around here.
BTW, C1s are great speakers, although they also like high power and current AFAIK. What Naim amplification do you have?
I'm curious about Scansonic since I want to move to small floorstanders, but definitely don't have the cash for anything like Raidho. My budget is somewhere around $4k-7k and I have a certain preference for ribbon tweeters, although I like the Plasma from Lansche and the Thiel 3.7 tweeter, too. HF extension above audible range has a wonderful smooth trickle down effect when done right.
Hope you'll be patient with the break-in time.
Best regards
Andre
Hi Andre - I'm Xti16 from Agon. My 1 friend Rhett is driving his Raidho D2's with a Naim Supernait2 and it sounds great. Another friend John (BluVette) is driving Dyn C4 Sig's also with a Naim SN2. I personally haven't heard his system but I know he wouldn't keep the SN2 if it wasn't up to the task. Naim is one of those products that on paper look to be low power but they have nice current reserves.

As far as Raidho/Scansonic ribbon tweeters as I understand it is the Diamond and Cx.1 series has a diaphragm that weighs 0.02grams which is extremely low mass resulting in less 'ringing'. The original C series and I think the X series uses a diaphragm that weighs 0.03grams. As far as Scansonic I remember Lars stating it is based on the same principle as the X but not the same. Still smooth as silk.

George
post #78 of 2693 Old 03-02-2015, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I am going to go back and listen to Raidho for fun.

Rick
Rick if you get the chance listen to the Raidho's with both the Sim and Naim and give your impression. Also for grins and giggles put some Dyn's into the mix. Just remember Raidho won't have the bass extension as most Dyn's. A Dyn C1 and Raidho D2 will be close in bass extension.
post #79 of 2693 Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Hi Andre - I'm Xti16 from Agon. My 1 friend Rhett is driving his Raidho D2's with a Naim Supernait2 and it sounds great. Another friend John (BluVette) is driving Dyn C4 Sig's also with a Naim SN2. I personally haven't heard his system but I know he wouldn't keep the SN2 if it wasn't up to the task. Naim is one of those products that on paper look to be low power but they have nice current reserves.

As far as Raidho/Scansonic ribbon tweeters as I understand it is the Diamond and Cx.1 series has a diaphragm that weighs 0.02grams which is extremely low mass resulting in less 'ringing'. The original C series and I think the X series uses a diaphragm that weighs 0.03grams. As far as Scansonic I remember Lars stating it is based on the same principle as the X but not the same. Still smooth as silk.

George
George,
I'm aware that Naim power ratings translate differently. I listened to the Harbeth 5HL plus and DeVore 88 yesterday driven by all Naim gear, which they handled easily.
Thanks for the info. I'm very curious in regards to the Scanspeak and just hope the dealer gets them and breaks them in asap.
Best regards

post #80 of 2693 Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Interest piqued.

Last week I was able to spend some time with the Raidho D1s hooked up to an all Rowland system featuring the 'still-in-testing' revisions to the 625 stereo power amplifier. I don't know if it was the Rowland electronics but those Raidho's were stunning, or the system sure was.

I have quickly read the thread and if the Scansonics are the working man's Raidhos then I need a listen to them sometime. Maybe they'll show up at RMAF this year.
post #81 of 2693 Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 PM

Yesterday I talked to David at Design Audio and he said that the 3.5 in on Monday and started the burn-in process. I'll probably go pay him a visit on the 30th. They should have 350+ hours on them by then. Pretty curious.
post #82 of 2693 Old 03-19-2015, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmusicaddict View Post
Last week I was able to spend some time with the Raidho D1s hooked up to an all Rowland system featuring the 'still-in-testing' revisions to the 625 stereo power amplifier. I don't know if it was the Rowland electronics but those Raidho's were stunning, or the system sure was.

I have quickly read the thread and if the Scansonics are the working man's Raidhos then I need a listen to them sometime. Maybe they'll show up at RMAF this year.
Honestly the working mans Raidho is the X series. I hope to be hearing the X3's very soon. I've heard the Scansonic's and as great as they are (in their own way) they don't sound like the X or D series (the X and D series have a very similar sound). I think it would be very hard to beat Scansonic for the money. The 2.5 retails for less than just the D1 stands. The Scansonics were at the RMAF last year. The X3 and new Aavik integrated were at the CES this year.

I've heard Raidho Diamond series with Octave tubes (D1 & D2) - Naim integrated and separates (D1 & 2 and X1) - Burmester (D3) and Soulution (D5). In every case the Diamonds really sound great.
post #83 of 2693 Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yesterday I talked to David at Design Audio and he said that the 3.5 in on Monday and started the burn-in process. I'll probably go pay him a visit on the 30th. They should have 350+ hours on them by then. Pretty curious.
Make sure you post your impressions.
post #84 of 2693 Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Make sure you post your impressions.
I definitely will.
I was somewhat hoping that the Scansonic 3.5 would sound similar to a floorstander of the X1. I already have X1 SQ with a little more LFs in my current speakers, so anything inferior to the X1 in terms of transparency, sound stage and tonal balance simply won't do.
I'll probably take my DAC with me and use the Devialet, which seems like what he would have that is closest to my Gryphon Diablo. Although I'm tempted to take my cables and amp with me, it'll probably be too complicated and heavy to deal with.
Let's see how it goes.

post #85 of 2693 Old 03-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Honestly the working mans Raidho is the X series. I hope to be hearing the X3's very soon. I've heard the Scansonic's and as great as they are (in their own way) they don't sound like the X or D series (the X and D series have a very similar sound). I think it would be very hard to beat Scansonic for the money. The 2.5 retails for less than just the D1 stands. The Scansonics were at the RMAF last year. The X3 and new Aavik integrated were at the CES this year.

I've heard Raidho Diamond series with Octave tubes (D1 & D2) - Naim integrated and separates (D1 & 2 and X1) - Burmester (D3) and Soulution (D5). In every case the Diamonds really sound great.
Unfortunately, I missed RMAF in 2014 (first time in about 6 straight years) so I missed out on hearing the Scansonics. I hadn't been hugely impressed with the D1s in Jeff's RMAF room in 2013 but in his listening room (large) they were fabulous. The X-1 may be a great tip; I've not heard them. Golly, I'd liked my Sapphires plenty until last week... Mark A, Colo Spgs.
post #86 of 2693 Old 03-19-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmusicaddict View Post
Unfortunately, I missed RMAF in 2014 (first time in about 6 straight years) so I missed out on hearing the Scansonics. I hadn't been hugely impressed with the D1s in Jeff's RMAF room in 2013 but in his listening room (large) they were fabulous. The X-1 may be a great tip; I've not heard them. Golly, I'd liked my Sapphires plenty until last week... Mark A, Colo Spgs.
The X1's sound very close to the D1's but lack the lows.
What happened to the Sapphires? Dyn makes a fantastic speaker for the money. Was it the audition with the D1's? Raidho doesn't have the dymanics that Dyn has but the Raidho is clearer with a blacker background and better separation between instruments and vocals. They are much more open and transparent sounding too IMO.
Bluvette likes this.
post #87 of 2693 Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Raidho/Scansonic at Axpona

Found out Next Level av will be in room 514 at Axpona. Tyler and Lars from Raidho will be showing the Raidho D3 and X3 along with the MB 2.5 driven with the new Aavik integrated amp with Ansuz cables.
Bluvette likes this.
post #88 of 2693 Old 03-22-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Found out Next Level av will be in room 514 at Axpona. Tyler and Lars from Raidho will be showing the Raidho D3 and X3 along with the MB 2.5 driven with the new Aavik integrated amp with Ansuz cables.
How does AXPONA compare to RMAF? I need to take the plunge, and go to my first show; and I've been told RMAF is the way to go. But...and no offense; I'd rather go to Chi-town than Denver

post #89 of 2693 Old 03-22-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does AXPONA compare to RMAF? I need to take the plunge, and go to my first show; and I've been told RMAF is the way to go. But...and no offense; I'd rather go to Chi-town than Denver
I've never been to the RMAF but I heard it's much better than Axpona. Me OTOH live here and would rather go to Denver . Actually the Munich show is the best from what I've read.

Thinking of coming this year?
post #90 of 2693 Old 03-23-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just talked to Rhett and he said heard them again today too. He's echoing your statement. I'm very interested in them. Hoping a deal can be worked out.
Well I did heard the 2.5's again yesterday and they had 150 - 200 hrs on them. They are insanely good compared to just having 25 hrs on them. Bass was much deeper - soundstage and imaging was also improved. These are a bargain at full retail. I have a gut feeling they will be going up in price.
Bluvette likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page