Official Raidho/Scansonic Thread: - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 926Likes

post #2521 of 2695 Old 06-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautrachkfriend View Post
I am currently using my Marantz SR7008 to power the MB-1's. However I have been looking into an alternative amping solution because I feel the MB-1 deserves better. One of the options I was looking at was the Schiit Vidar amp. Ideally I'd rather not spend 5x more than the MB-1 costs on an amp LOL. Well... I would if I could afford it....

If anyone has amp suggestions for the MB-1's feel free to let me know.

I was using the 50 wpc amp for these, but now, I have 2 of these......

Outlaw model 2200 monoblocks.....

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/...xoCK_oQAvD_BwE

The speakers sound like they enjoy the extra power, and sound really good........
I also use a subwoofer with the system.....a Martin Logan Depth.....

Normally, the amp is $379 ...... but they sell 2 of them for $679.... with free shipping, and a 30 day audition period....

Pretty happy with the desktop system right now.....

Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2695 Old 07-12-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Thought I’d share a picture of the MB-1’s. They are currently at around the 24 hour mark of burn-in. I’m holding off on further impressions until they reach 50 hours of burn-in. But I can say they keep on getting better as time goes!
Any new impressions?
post #2523 of 2695 Old 07-12-2018, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Any new impressions?

Well the MB-1's are at around 75-100 hours of burn-in time now. I'll admit that the month of June flew by, and I'll also admit that I haven't been listening to the MB-1's as much as I'd like due to my recent headphone addition being the Focal Utopia. The Focal Utopia's are spectacular to say the least, nothing I've heard from a headphone ever before. Back to the MB-1 though...

Since getting the MB-1 I didn't like how the bass response on my desk was, even with the isoacoustics stands. So to fix the bass response issue I crossed the MB-1's over slightly higher at 80hz from 60hz before. Like I said a few posts ago my SVS SB16-Ultra is taking care of the low end bass so this wasn't too big of a deal to pull off. I'll have to say I'm getting a much cleaner sounding now, must've just been the desk surface being cruddy or the positioning of the MB-1's. I do also know that a lot of people say the mid/bass driver takes a bit longer to really get to it's prime. I'll also have to say since taking the bass load off of the MB-1 the midrange has gotten MUCH cleaner sounding. Before if the MB-1's were playing a song with a little more bass it would start to sound a little muddy, probably due to the limitations of the driver, or just needs more break-in like I said before. Tweeter wise not a lot has changed since around the 50 hour mark, still nice and airy, smooth, detailed, etc. The tweeter almost feels like it got to a relaxed state of existence at around 50 hours, which is totally fine by me because it sounds great! In fact I think this tweeter could be considered a gateway Raidho drug because now I'm so curious about how the X-1/XT-1 tweeters sound. Another thing I want to mention is that I'm not a major fan of how the MB-1's image in my near-field configuration, just sounds a little off, still pretty good though. I did briefly spread the MB-1's apart by around 9ft and wow was that sound stage and image on point, definitely their strong point. Lastly throughout breaking in the MB-1's I've been listening to tons of different music at different volumes and I've found that the MB-1's really shine with Jazz, Classical, and really just good organic recordings. When I try to listen to any current recordings of lesser quality the experience isn't too great.... Kind of a universal thing.

As far as comparison's with the Sierra 2/Sierra Luna I'd still have to give the edge to the Sierra 2/Sierra Luna. Why might you ask? The RAAL tweeter that is featured in those offerings is just spot on. It's just got a little bit more of a clear and non-fatiguing sound that suits my preference while also being able to render bad recordings very well. I do know the Raidho tweeters are aluminum like the RAAL tweeters so I'm now kind of curious how some XT-1's or X-1's might sound compared to the Sierra 2/Sierra Luna. I will give the MB-1 the edge of sound stage when spread apart to 9ft compared to the Sierra's. However, the Sierra's image a lot better in my opinion. I won't comment on bass because the drivers are all quite different in size. Mid-range wise it's a draw when each respective speaker is crossed over at 80hz with a sub. I'll have to also give the appearance of the MB-1's the edge over the Sierra line. I just love the overall aesthetic of the MB-1, so sleek, matches my setup very well.
ambesolman likes this.

Schiit Yggdrasil - Schiit Jotunheim - Parasound Z Amp V3 - Raidho X-1 - SVS SB16-Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 2695 Old 07-13-2018, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Focal Utopia's are sweet!! I heard them at Axpona and was very impressed.

I think you still have a lot more break in time for the MB1's. From what I've read from other users they can take up to 600 hrs. Personally with Raidho's I found the tweeters take about 350 hrs to settle down (they only get smoother). Also with Raidho's the music from top to bottom sounds a bit disjointed until they hit around 650 hrs. It's something you don't really notice but when they do come together is when you really notice it. I have broken in D1's - D2's - 4 pair of D2.1's (long story) and a pair of D3.1's and the break in time was the same on all of them. When I break them in I run them 7/24 for 1000 hrs (about 42 days).

Quote:
The RAAL tweeter that is featured in those offerings is just spot on. It's just got a little bit more of a clear and non-fatiguing sound that suits my preference while also being able to render bad recordings very well
Not that I ever felt fatigued with the Scansonic tweeters the Raidho tweeters are much better. What surprises me too is that less than stellar recordings sound really good. Can't say the same for the Dynaudio C1 and C1 Signatures which I really thought had the best highs. I only have a couple of cds that didn't sound very good but with Raidho they sound much better. If you have a chance to demo XT1's you will hear many more layers of resolution. The D series adds even more layers. The XT series are a bit more forward sounding where the D series is a bit more relaxed.
post #2525 of 2695 Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Not that I ever felt fatigued with the Scansonic tweeters the Raidho tweeters are much better. What surprises me too is that less than stellar recordings sound really good. Can't say the same for the Dynaudio C1 and C1 Signatures which I really thought had the best highs. I only have a couple of cds that didn't sound very good but with Raidho they sound much better. If you have a chance to demo XT1's you will hear many more layers of resolution. The D series adds even more layers. The XT series are a bit more forward sounding where the D series is a bit more relaxed.
It's very interesting how different people hear different things with different speakers. Thank goodness we have such a wide variety to choose from!

I would describe my recent experiences as follows (not that you guys asked):
Dynaudio Focus 160 - Nice and clear highs, punchy bass, fatiguing highs after an hour of 80-90db listening

Dynaudio Confidence C1 - Very clear/flat highs (to the point that it felt like a studio monitor), tight bass that didn't feel as punchy as the Focus 160s, highs felt a little harsh at times with crash symbols and other similar sounds

Harbeth 30.1 - very smooth highs, lighter bass, amazing mids, could listen to forever

JBL LSR305 - great for the price, highs are very detailed but get slightly fatiguing over time, great bass performance to about 50hz (seems like a digital low-pass is applied), compression at higher dbs (100+)

Philharmonic Audio BMR Philharmonitor - Very detailed, but ever so slightly emphasized, highs in my room (RAAL tweeter), fantastic imaging, great mids, phenomenal bass. I would imagine they are nearly impossible to beat at the price

Marten Heritage Bird 2 - The "complete package". Great bass, non-fatiguing highs, natural sounding vocals. Imaging for a speaker this size was impressive, but I feel like monitors/narrow baffle speakers in general do a little better.

Scansonic MB-2.5 - great highs (not quite as buttery-smooth as the Harbeths) but similar/slightly more detail, good mids, bass has a decent bump (maybe 6-10db which is exacerbated by my room) at 100hz that I EQ out

post #2526 of 2695 Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For demo tracks, I use the following:

Bartender - Live at Radio City Music Hall - Dave Matthews, Tim Reynolds
Good spaciousness/reverb, helps you feel how the speakers convey scale

Sing Sang Sung - Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band
Bombastic track with a lot going on, good test for imaging and dynamics

Train Song - Holly Cole
Deep, natural-sounding bass. Well-recorded vocals with a solid center image

Come In - Dianne Reeves
Bass line that shouldn't sound too fat or emphasized, female vocalist singing through a wide frequency range, helps check for driver integration if there's a mid

Becoming Insane - Infected Mushroom
Tight and punchy bass, has a lot going on later, so I guess a good test for congestion. Did I mention tight and punchy bass?

Stepped narrowband stereo pan - David Ranada
Pretty self-explanatory

Ballad of the Runaway Horse - Jennifer Warnes
SOLID center image, female voice pretty much on its own, so there's little to take away from it.

I Think I'm Ready To Love You - Priscilla Ahn
There's something interesting about this recording that really plays with imaging/soundstage in my room. You'll have to try it to see what I'm talking about

Finzi: from Le Us Garlands Bring - Gerald Finzi, Sergej Osadchuk
Female opera, decent recording of a good performance

post #2527 of 2695 Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The Focal Utopia's are sweet!! I heard them at Axpona and was very impressed.

I think you still have a lot more break in time for the MB1's. From what I've read from other users they can take up to 600 hrs. Personally with Raidho's I found the tweeters take about 350 hrs to settle down (they only get smoother). Also with Raidho's the music from top to bottom sounds a bit disjointed until they hit around 650 hrs. It's something you don't really notice but when they do come together is when you really notice it. I have broken in D1's - D2's - 4 pair of D2.1's (long story) and a pair of D3.1's and the break in time was the same on all of them. When I break them in I run them 7/24 for 1000 hrs (about 42 days).

I'm glad to hear that the MB-1's have a lot more break-in time before they reach their potential. More break-in time means that I have more time to mess around with the MB-1's before I eventually make a leap to Raidho. Also whoever buys my MB-1's when the time comes will get a fully broken in pair of speakers! (Maybe I gotta charge extra for that...jk) I will admit the change in sound through burn-in is certainly fun, keeps the anticipation very high and makes the speakers more progressive.

I don't know if I will be able to demo the XT1's because we don't have any dealers who carry Raidho here in Minnesota. But I am going to take a leap of faith into grabbing them whenever I can allocate funds. The thought of an even better tweeter even when compared to the MB-1 sounds great. I also think the XT1's will be a better fit for a desk scenario. Exciting times ahead for sure!

Schiit Yggdrasil - Schiit Jotunheim - Parasound Z Amp V3 - Raidho X-1 - SVS SB16-Ultra
post #2528 of 2695 Old 07-14-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The XT-1 will blow the MB-1 away, though the MB-1 are a great speaker for the money. I have the MB-2.5 and MB center in my home theater which I love and feel bad that I only use them for Home Theater. I have Raidho XT-3's for 2 channel and love them, a perfect fit for me. Have fun with the break in and enjoy, can only get better!!!!
post #2529 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am just about to recive my Scansonic MB 2.5's and was wondering what amp I should pair them with..

Anyone have any experience with tube-amps and the 2.5's? Or is solid state the way to go?

Was abit curious to try the LM 508IA, rated at 48 W.
post #2530 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastegg View Post
I am just about to recive my Scansonic MB 2.5's and was wondering what amp I should pair them with..

Anyone have any experience with tube-amps and the 2.5's? Or is solid state the way to go?

Was abit curious to try the LM 508IA, rated at 48 W.
Not much experience with Scansonic but when I had Raidho D1's I also had an Octave V110 rated at 110W. Did a great job all the way up to pushing the D1's hard. As the loudness increased the lows didn't get louder. Again it was only when pushed hard and with Raidho D1's.

What amp do you now have?
post #2531 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Not much experience with Scansonic but when I had Raidho D1's I also had an Octave V110 rated at 110W. Did a great job all the way up to pushing the D1's hard. As the loudness increased the lows didn't get louder. Again it was only when pushed hard and with Raidho D1's.

What amp do you now have?
As of right now I have a Hegel H80 to start out with.

Will probably use it for a month or so to get the feel of the speakers during the time.
post #2532 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As of right now I have a Hegel H80 to start out with.

Will probably use it for a month or so to get the feel of the speakers during the time.
Are the 2.5's new or pre-owned?
The H80 should be fine.
post #2533 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Are the 2.5's new or pre-owned?
The H80 should be fine.
They are a pair of demo-ex, not sure how many hours they have on them.

Yes I think the H80 will do just fine
But I still wonder how a tumb amp will do toghether with the 2.5s.. Seen some pics here and there by people using tubes with them.
post #2534 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are a pair of demo-ex, not sure how many hours they have on them.

Yes I think the H80 will do just fine
But I still wonder how a tube amp will do together with the 2.5s.. Seen some pics here and there by people using tubes with them.
Tube amps should work just fine for normal listening levels.
post #2535 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Tube amps should work just fine for normal listening levels.
Sounds perfect since that's what I'm going for
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
post #2536 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Make sure you post back after getting the 2.5's
post #2537 of 2695 Old 08-06-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm listening to mine as I write this. Changed up the position after 8 months in their prior location, played around with my PEQ just a touch (correct for room modes), and they sound awesome 🙂
Bluvette and OctaDyn_Dude like this.

post #2538 of 2695 Old 08-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Well guys so much for breaking in my MB-1’s any further. My MB-1’s are officially up for sale because I was able to pick up some used like-new Raidho X-1’s!

Guess maybe now I will be doing a Raidho break-in depending on how many hours are on them...

post #2539 of 2695 Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Make sure you post back after getting the 2.5's
Sure will do.

The speakers only had about 30 hours on them so they still need some burn in.
post #2540 of 2695 Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure will do.

The speakers only had about 30 hours on them so they still need some burn in.
With only 30 hrs you do have at least a couple of hundred hrs or so to go. Just remember they are only going to keep getting better.
post #2541 of 2695 Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well guys so much for breaking in my MB-1’s any further. My MB-1’s are officially up for sale because I was able to pick up some used like-new Raidho X-1’s!

Guess maybe now I will be doing a Raidho break-in depending on how many hours are on them...
Congrats on the X1's
post #2542 of 2695 Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Does anyone know if Raidho still upgrades X-1's to XT-1's? I checked their website in the upgrade section and didn't find anything. Not that I will be in a rush to upgrade speakers that I haven't even listened to, just curious.

Also wanted to mention that it's gonna be very interesting to finally hear how the Raidho tweeter compares to the RAAL tweeter on the Sierra 2's. I'm hoping that it can surpass the RAAL tweeter in spots that the Scansonic tweeter didn't quite make it. I will do a MB-1 comparison as well to the X-1.

post #2543 of 2695 Old 08-08-2018, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if Raidho still upgrades X-1's to XT-1's? I checked their website in the upgrade section and didn't find anything. Not that I will be in a rush to upgrade speakers that I haven't even listened to, just curious.

Also wanted to mention that it's gonna be very interesting to finally hear how the Raidho tweeter compares to the RAAL tweeter on the Sierra 2's. I'm hoping that it can surpass the RAAL tweeter in spots that the Scansonic tweeter didn't quite make it. I will do a MB-1 comparison as well to the X-1.
I'm not sure they ever offered an upgrade from the X to the XT.
post #2544 of 2695 Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I had a pair of X-3 and to get the XT-3 I had to trade them in, there was no upgrade on that model, at least.
post #2545 of 2695 Old 08-09-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
I had a pair of X-3 and to get the XT-3 I had to trade them in, there was no upgrade on that model, at least.
What was the difference in sound quality when going from the X to the XT?
post #2546 of 2695 Old 08-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow, it was a couple of years ago but from what I remember it was a general tightening up for the mids and bass which added more clarity and instrument separation to the sound.
post #2547 of 2695 Old 08-09-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, it was a couple of years ago but from what I remember it was a general tightening up for the mids and bass which added more clarity and instrument separation to the sound.
I went from the D2 to the D2.1. The lows went about 5hz deeper but the transients in the midrage got so much better. everything was much clearer and it was like I was hearing more layers of resolution.
post #2548 of 2695 Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Guys stop talking about higher end Raidho speakers, my wallet is crying already!

Quote:
I'm not sure they ever offered an upgrade from the X to the XT.
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the X series to the XT series. Guess it will be a trade/sell type of thing whenever I get to it.

post #2549 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #2550 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Those bookshelves and stands are sexy.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page